• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What keeps bringing you back to Nintendo?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
It might seem like a point blank question but I'm curious, what keeps bringing you back to Nintendo when it comes to gaming? What is it exactly when you're considering your next game or console purchase that you choose Nintendo over Sony or Microsoft?

Is it a connection to your childhood that you feel you connect to when you play a Nintendo product, is it because you are a Nintendo enthusiast in general and a collector?

Curious to see your responses.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
What keeps me coming back are the exclusives I can't get anywhere else. IMO, Nintendo has the best first party offerings.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
For me, it's because of both their consoles and their IPs.

Nintendo keeps giving me things I didn't even know I wanted.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
For m it's that all my favourite Nintendo games can have a very casual feel to them, which I enjoy, and at other times a very competitive feel, which again I enjoy. I can play some casual mario kart with friends, or go online in 200cc. Some 8 player party smash, or go to a local tourney. Casual private battles in Splatoon, or tense high level ranked play. Really its the seamless flow between casual and fun, to intense and skill driven. I love the duality.

D

Deleted member

It's a mixture of the respect I have for them for their earlier releases and that they still make great games. I also am a fan of their franchises.

Also the lack of realism involved in their titles is a plus for me as well as keeping games with that "game" feel and not the cinematic experience feel in terms of controls and narrative.

Last edited by a moderator:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Well, I play everything... PC, Xbox, Playstation, etc... but I've always been a "Nintendo First" gamer. NES was my first game console as a kid, I got an N64 first, GameCube first, and Wii first... but I've always played all other platforms. The reason I always stay Nintendo first is because the games are fun. They are incredibly fun, and have always been, my entire life.

finalark

SNORLAX
I can't play Zelda, Metroid, Smash or any of their other awesome IPs on any other console.

Besides, I like their image. While Sony and MS come off as "HEY GUYS AREN'T WE SO ****ING COOL AND EPIC AND SOMBER AND MATURE" Nintendo knows that video games should be fun first and focuses and exactly that: fun.

Besides, even though I and a nearly other Nintendo fan berate them for this, you got to give them credit for their originality. In a world where PC, Xbox and PS are all basically the same box with a different logo on it Nintendo actually strives to be unique and original. With varying levels of success, but still admirable none the less.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Nostalgia, consistency in great games, my favorite franchises (Mario, Smash, Punch Out, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Kirby and Donkey Kong) and just being different from everyone else.

No matter what the system or generation, I love Nintendo through the best and worst of times.

I still go to other systems like Xbox and Playstation but I grew up with Nintendo and Sega and they are my go-to places for fun games.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I can't play Zelda, Metroid, Smash or any of their other awesome IPs on any other console.

Besides, I like their image. While Sony and MS come off as "HEY GUYS AREN'T WE SO ****ING COOL AND EPIC AND SOMBER AND MATURE" Nintendo knows that video games should be fun first and focuses and exactly that: fun.

Besides, even though I and a nearly other Nintendo fan berate them for this, you got to give them credit for their originality. In a world where PC, Xbox and PS are all basically the same box with a different logo on it Nintendo actually strives to be unique and original. With varying levels of success, but still admirable none the less.
I have to give you credit for Nintendo striving to be original, although it could debatable whether or not Star Fox is Nintendo's spoof of Star Wars and Fire Emblem's Robin a spoof off of Harry Potter.

Sony and Microsoft I think have applied different technologies to their consoles, mainly because of their areas of expertise. Sony and Microsoft are more technology-based while Nintendo is more video game based. How Sony has made it possible to stream Netflix off the PS4 and Microsoft making it possible to stream music off the Xbox One has most notably added to their image of making video game consoles more cutting edge, and add to their appeal.

finalark

SNORLAX
I have to give you credit for Nintendo striving to be original, although it could debatable whether or not Star Fox is Nintendo's spoof of Star Wars and Fire Emblem's Robin a spoof off of Harry Potter.
If Star Fox lifts notes from anything, it's Star Trek. Star Fox Assault is basically a dozen Borg episodes smashed together with Krystal being Diana Troi in all but name.

And aside from Robin being a wizard, I don't see how Nintendo would be taking notes from Harry Potter. Believe it or not, Fire Emblem was around well before the first Harry Potter book hit store shelves. Besides, the concept of wizards is as old as classical mythology, if not older.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Basically the exclusive IPs and nice selection of Virtual Console games. I know that X-Box and Playstation have these as well, but Nintendo's VC is just superior in my opinion.

But mainly exclusives. Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Punch-Out!!, Pokemon, The Legendary Starfy (new game when?), Pikmin, and of course, Smash Bros., are all IPs I greatly enjoy. I also really want to try out Splatoon and buy Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. as well.

I mean, other systems have great exclusives as well (Sony in particular), don't get me wrong. Nintendo just has more that I'm interested and invested in, personally.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Been playing on Nintendo systems back when the N64 was a thing, and ain't going to stop anytime soon. Why? I can't play their exclusives anywhere else, and unlike the two other companies' hardware, I actually get to have some fun with the games. That's just my opinion, however.

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
I like their simplistic yet fun games. Their games are easy to play and hard to master. They also have that design and look that is nostalgic. Sort of like a good Disney cartoon. I do like other non-Nintendo games as well though and am not exclusive to Nintendo.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I like a lot of Nintendo's franchises, especially Mario, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and Smash, and I can't really play those on other consoles. I'm also a fan of how Nintendo games tend to not have much violent or sexual content since I prefer games that don't have a lot of that kind of stuff in them. Basically, Nintendo seems to be good at making all-ages types of games, which are exactly the kinds of games I'm into.

I think the relative lack of barriers to entry for many Nintendo games is probably another reason why I'm a Nintendo fan. Being able to play Mario Kart or co-op 3D World with people who aren't exactly "hardcore gamers" is fun and helps me justify buying Nintendo games and consoles since I know that I'll be able to enjoy them with other people.

Last edited:

PinballWizard00

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pinballwizard00
3DS FC
3325-1688-9149
I play Nintendo games and come back to them because of their charm, and the fact that I like these franchises such as Mario, Smash, Pikmin, Metroid, and others. I also like that their games can be accessed by anyone without having all the questionable content inside some games. I've played their games since I was really young with the Gamecube, Game Boy Advance, DS, and Wii and have always enjoyed their games whether it would be something new in the case of Splatoon, or the old games like Yoshi's Island and Super Metroid.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Their IPs are the main reason.

But the reason behind the reason is the pure and utter charm they have.

It's why their IPs stand out.

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
I don't consider myself a "loyal" player, but Nintendo has the exclusive console game series I've been looking out for years. I use a PC for other things since it has the biggest game library and has a lot of the non-exclusive games available for the XB 360/One and PS3/PS4. So, the Wii U + PC combo is alright for me.

Last edited:

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo doesn't try to fight PC (or other consoles, for that matter). They don't try to tout their platform as superior to any others, and they just sit back and make great games. The market is about competing, and Nintendo is the only one not looking to make false claims to get to the top. its not really working for them though

GenNyan

Smash Ace
First party IPs are the biggest draw. I like to have a Nintendo console, and an "other" console/PC that is up-to-date, because Nintendo doesn't have much 3rd party support. Also there are many more games available for PC and entire genres of games that don't even exist on consoles (RTS games, 4X games, MOBAS & Roguelikes sort of).

Unfortunately, my budget doesn't include a new computer.

Khao

Smash Lord
Definitely their exclusive series, there's pretty much no other reason to buy a Nintendo system at this point. For the last couple of generations, their consoles have been far weaker than the competition's, eliminating most chances of acquiring third party content, and their gimmicks (like motion controls and dual-screen play) have been a hit or miss kinda deal. The only thing that's left is their first party games, which while they may be created with like a fraction of the budget of most AAA titles in other systems (and it shows in several kind of ways), they more than make up for it with what's still some of the best designed (and polished) high-quality content. So good job, Nintendo.

Another reason's starting to pop up, though, and that's local multiplayer. Seems like other consoles are starting to abandon it, which is a ****ing shame. Right now, beyond indies and a few random small games on the online store, there's barely any major release on PS4 I'm interested in that has local multiplayer. Thankfully, that's gonna change soon, but it's a real problem for now. All retail games I've bought so far are single-player only but offer some sort form of online multiplayer.

I mean seriously, even racing games no longer have local multiplayer, that would have been ****ing unacceptable a couple of generations ago. It still is for me, though, there's some kind of games that are ****ing worthless if I can't play them with friends, and racing games are definitely one of those. I mean what's next, fighting games becoming online-only?

In the meantime, more and more Nintendo games are getting local multiplayer. Even leaving aside the obvious stuff like Smash and Mario Kart, most of their freaking platformers can be played with up to four people, and platformers were basically a single-player-only genre back in the day.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Another reason's starting to pop up, though, and that's local multiplayer. Seems like other consoles are starting to abandon it, which is a ****ing shame. Right now, beyond indies and a few random small games on the online store, there's barely any major release on PS4 I'm interested in that has local multiplayer. Thankfully, that's gonna change soon, but it's a real problem for now. All retail games I've bought so far are single-player only but offer some sort form of online multiplayer.

I mean seriously, even racing games no longer have local multiplayer, that would have been ****ing unacceptable a couple of generations ago. It still is for me, though, there's some kind of games that are ****ing worthless if I can't play them with friends, and racing games are definitely one of those. I mean what's next, fighting games becoming online-only?

In the meantime, more and more Nintendo games are getting local multiplayer. Even leaving aside the obvious stuff like Smash and Mario Kart, most of their freaking platformers can be played with up to four people, and platformers were basically a single-player-only genre back in the day.
*cough* SPLATOON *cough*

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
*cough* SPLATOON *cough*
Isn't StarFox Zero also lacking local multiplayer?

As for Nintendo? Inertia. I've never bought anything else. Great 1st party stuff. But I've really missed out on a lot of stuff by sticking blindly with Nintendo. Their choice to limit their hardware makes 3rd parties ignore them. This means you're screwed if the 1st party offerings are weak.

finalark

SNORLAX
Isn't StarFox Zero also lacking local multiplayer?

As for Nintendo? Inertia. I've never bought anything else. Great 1st party stuff. But I've really missed out on a lot of stuff by sticking blindly with Nintendo. Their choice to limit their hardware makes 3rd parties ignore them. This means you're screwed if the 1st party offerings are weak.
This is why I always go Nintendo first then later pick up a PlayStation when prices drop.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I can't stand Nintendo anymore due to their BS in recent years, but the only reason I keep going back to them is due to Zelda, Smash, Pokemon, Kirby, and other franchises that are not named Mario. Too bad lately they've been treating their series like crap. Examples being Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival & Metroid Prime: Federation Force. I cannot forgive them for this.

JuanHUM

Smash Cadet
NNID
JuanHUM
Games like splatoon, when despite the childist style has so many elements and so many thigs to master, its been so long that nintendo relased a online game that make me forget about everything while im playing, of couse the same applies to single player experiences in the big N.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I actually don't like Nintendo at all, as a company. From overpriced DLCs to extremely short console cycles, from amiibos to games never having price drops, there's a lot to dislike about the company. At the same time, even though Nintendo releases gross weeb pandering games, they are still the only big company that still release a lot of the kind of games I enjoy. I like colorful, happy (or not) and trippy games, with great soundtracks.

So that is basically why I keep coming back to Nintendo. 98% of the games I play are Nintendo and indie titles, the remaining 2% being Heroes of the Storm and From Software's Souls games.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
Simply put, I enjoy Nintendo's games more than what others are offering. I'm not saying other consoles are bad or anything, I mean, I have a PC for all the other games that don't make it to Nintendo. Their games are just more appealing to me than anything else and they seem to offer the most variety by far.

Aidan25

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aidan
3DS FC
0361-7892-7562
The games are just so appealing, nostalgic, fun and everyone enjoys them. I have a heap of Nintendo games I still need to play that I've only found out about in the recent years but those that I've played, I've grown really attached to them and I'd definitely play them again. Nintendo have done an excellent job in creating games that will be spoken about for years to come and that aren't excruciatingly difficult and/or boring so they're very worthwhile. I hope that Nintendo reaches out to their fans and asks for their ideas on what can be improved on because we all know that Nintendo is starting to die yet it has so much god damn potential that is going to waste and we as gamers know what they need to do.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
I personally think that Nintendo games has that charm that makes me appreciate the games. I remember a time in my childhood when I became a Sony fanboy and play all their popular games on my PS2/PSP. I eventually became bored of these games and just picked my old copy of Pokemon: Fire Red for lulzies and I was hooked on the game for a long time.

Also lol at judging games before they're released. Sure, you can make a case for the latest Animal Crossing game since its heavily amiibo reliant and not everyone likes to collect those things but saying Metroid Prime: Federation Force is crap even before the game is released is pretty dumb imo. Like either play the game first and judge later or wait for the general opinion of the game when its released first then judge later.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
New games and now amiibos keep bringing me back to Nintendo... granted, I have never been a Sony gamer even though I do have a PS3 (my boyfriend gave it to me when he got his brand-new PS4 for his birthday) and I only use it for Netflix, Hulu, WWE Network, and a few games.

I really need to organize my game library... and my amiibo collection too.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Simply put, I enjoy Nintendo's games more than what others are offering. I'm not saying other consoles are bad or anything, I mean, I have a PC for all the other games that don't make it to Nintendo. Their games are just more appealing to me than anything else and they seem to offer the most variety by far.
My reasoning is similar to this. I've been primarily a Nintendo gamer all my life, because their many series have this charm that other game companies just can't match. The state of 3rd party support is almost nonexistent at this point, which is where the other consoles/PC come into play. They can get most of the 3rd party stuff, whereas Nintendo seems to excel at doing their own thing. But in terms of 1st party variety, Nintendo is king. That's pretty much the biggest reason right there.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I never stopped being a Nintendo fan.

I'm just becoming a fan of other things along the way. :p

Everything's got nice stuff to enjoy.

D

Deleted member

I grew up with Nintendo. I'm going to be honest - I never owned an Xbox or Playstation system. I have nothing against either, it's just I didn't grow up with them like I did with Nintendo.
However I do kind of want a PS3 or PS4 because they have a good selection of anime type games that Nintendo doesn't have.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I grew up during the Nintendo 64 era playing their games with Mario Kart 64 being my first Nintendo game I've ever played. Since then, I devoted my life mostly to playing Nintendo games although I have earned an interest in third party games as well but only on Nintendo consoles.

Nintendo then, Nintendo now, Nintendo forever.

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I come back to Nintendo because I need to defend it on Internet forums!

I mean, uh, the games.

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
Ninty has good first party exclusives.

Now if we could have more good third party exclusives....

And then there's the fact all my consoles are Nintendo.

I do want a PS3, though.

Top Bottom