• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is your controller setup?

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
I am wondering about this primarily because I wonder how other OoS Fortress. I tried to turn on tap jump last night, and it got me into a lot of bad situations since I hold up when trying to recover waitin for the perfect Fortress opportunity. However, without tap jump, I have to hold up and run my thumb along Y and then B to do the move, which is slow-ish as an input and carries the danger of me hitting the A button on the GC controller instead.

Here is my setup:
A - attack.
B - special.
X - grab (for SHADC).
Y - jump.
R - shield.
L - grab.
Z - shield (never use it).
C - set to specials for wavelanding with other characters.

B!squick

Smash Master
I use to always have tap jump off myself, but playing the 3DS version got me into that habit. I use default controls.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Default controls except for L is jump for ease of access to instant whirling fortress out of shield (same applies to some of my other characters). Also tap jump off.

I use R as shield and Z (or R+A when shield grabbing) to get my grabs so I really didn't need L at all, it makes for a handy jump button when you get used to remembering it's there, makes not only OoS up Bs very easy, but also gives you instant jump side B specials for characters like CF and Ganon(who gets his air flame choke instead of regular, which catches not only most standing characters, but those airborne or attempting to jump as well)

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Tap Jump on, default move set. I tried using L to jump, but not only am I really used to jumping with up, I found that L on a GCN controller really isn't that responsive, at least, not enough for me to jump with it. Tap Jump also lets me UpB out of shield a-ok

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
The shoulder buttons are more responsive in this game than Brawl since you don't need to push them all the way down to get your desired actions.

Cryo

Smash Rookie
I use Gamecube controller default controls. I used to have Y to grab and tap jump off, but it got annoying at tourneys having to make a new controller setup everytime, so I forced myself to get used to it. Totally worth.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
The shoulder buttons are more responsive in this game than Brawl since you don't need to push them all the way down to get your desired actions.
but still, I find the actual physical button flimsy for jumping. However, I find it almost perfect for glide tossing, which is great in certain matchups.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Defualt seems to work fine for me/Bowser. What is SHADC?
Short Hop Air Dodge Cancel.

Basically you Short Hop and Airdodge at the same time and by rapidly inputting say Fortress it skips the usual land lag and transitions right into Fortress.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811

Basically you Short Hop and Airdodge at the same time and by rapidly inputting say Fortress it skips the usual land lag and transitions right into Fortress.
Don't forget you can also Klaw and Bowser Bomb after an ADC!

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
I use a classic controller pro

B = Attack
Y = Special
X and A = Jump
L and R = Grab
ZL and ZR = Shield

With tap jump off I just slide my thumb from X to Y or from A to B to do whirling fortress and up-smash OoS respectively

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Not Firebreath though. Move takes too long to start up.
Actually startup is slightly faster but it's so little of a change you wouldn't really notice. The other 3 do work and you can noticeably see the difference although SHADC Bowser Bomb looks silly while Fortress and Klaw look and perform amazingly.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles

You don't have to input rapidly.

Polimario

Smash Cadet
NNID
Polimario
3DS FC
4425-1491-7986
I use the Gamepad for now, looking into getting a Pro Controller.

Y: Attack
B: Special
X/A: Jump
L/ZL: Grab
R/ZR: Shield

Last edited:

MrEh

Smash Hero
Remember to leave rumble on guys.

Makes you feel like a MAN when you're running around.

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
R to Jump (Useful for the Whirling Fortress out of shield)
C-stick to Attack (Tilts are waaay more important than Smash Attacks)
Tap jump off.

Bowser doesn't have that much crazy useful tech like wave bounces or anything, so I expect most bowser setups to be fairly standard.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
On the Wii U, I use the default controls with the GameCube controller, including having Tap Jump on.

On the 3DS, I use the default controls except with L and R switched around, and also play with Tap Jump on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom