• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is there to Dedede besides chaingrabbing and spamming?

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I constantly get called cheap for the way I play Dedede by lesser competetive players. I also abuse Dededecide, which only adds to the problem further. Really, besides this, how much does Dedede have that makes him such a high tier besides his recovery? I'd really like to see any techs for Dedede that don't involve the dthrow that would help me look less "cheap". Any suggestions?

Tyser

Smash Champion
Dude, let them whine about it. They're just mad because you're better than they are (at winning). All Dedede is about is his grab. Play ICs and get their infinite CG off (or so it looks). They'll want you to play as Dedede again :-D.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
I assure you its not "Cheap". There is a 3rd of the cast who can't get chaingrabbed if lesser competitive players can't handle it they should counterpick dedede with one of them. It's also their fault for getting regicided, your competition shouldn't be camping the ledge that aggressively. I assure you your doing nothing wrong or cheap.

King Dedede is high tier because of his ability to outright survive most of what he is hit with, coupled with beastly power that can turn matches, a down throw you can actually link to other moves, disjointed methods of attack with good range, and amazing grab range.

As for techs not involving chaingrab there is just the rocket hammer shuffle glitch which has been an interesting find but not to useful in an actual match.

Edit: and tell them Metaknight exists and you never want to hear cheap johns about King Dedede again.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Sounds like a plan. There's really no other way to play Dedede effectively without abusing his throws, it's just simply a no brainer and by far the best way to play him. Let's see them play without the chain grabs.

Out of curiosity, how broken would Dedede be if he could chaingrab the whole cast?

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
Not too broken. The chaingrab just racks damage there is no really good way to finish the chaingrab besides throwing them off the edge and hoping to edgeguard characters to death.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I think he has a lot going for him besides the chaingrab and spamming Waddle Dees. Of course his recovery combined with his weight class goes without saying, but I think the fact he's a power character with great aerial flexibility as well as all around highly effective aerial attacks, as well as a lot of what I like to see as "stalling" tactics is worth mentioning too.

I think a very underestimated potential tactic is the more indirect uses of the Waddle Dee move. Throwing them as a straightforward projectile is one use yeah, but I think the fact those things can actually act as a block against a lot of other projectile attacks as well as other attacks too (aside from a few annoying ones like Wolf's laser) is something worth mentioning. I think Waddle Doo is a pretty underestimated option. Of course we all know it gives you a free forward smash if the beam hits, but as well as that it gives the opponent a momentary distraction if you play your cards right and stick around it. I think giving your opponent even a little split in their concentration on you could give you something.

I could probably go on but I'll probably start sounding like a bag of hot air, if I'm not already, so to cut to the chase I think it's actually not doing anyone who wants to use this guy a favor by just relying and centering everything on the chaingrab. Yeah you can argue it's efficient against those it works on, but I think it's like playing half a character you know? It's not like the character would suck without it.

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
Just show people you can beat them without the Dededeicide, and don't grab at all, use tilts etc, get good at combing with D3

chewyy

Smash Ace
Dude, let them whine about it. They're just mad because you're better than they are (at winning). All Dedede is about is his grab. Play ICs and get their infinite CG off (or so it looks). They'll want you to play as Dedede again :-D.
100% fact. I should sig this.

Top Bottom