• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the key to meteor smashing?

The Y-Guy

Smash Rookie
NNID
onealfam
3DS FC
0173-1370-1553
I've been playing Game and Watch for a while. He's awesome, one of my best mains. However, I have no idea how I meteor smash with him. I know you can though, I've done it before, but what is the trick? Where's the sweet spot?

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
I've been playing Game and Watch for a while. He's awesome, one of my best mains. However, I have no idea how I meteor smash with him. I know you can though, I've done it before, but what is the trick? Where's the sweet spot?
There is a part of the Down Air thats a meteor. Dont use it offstage though, it isnt worth since you have better ways to gimp, its useful for pilaring wth your up b though. I am not entirely sure which part is but i always meteor people at the beginning of the animation.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
It's the whole key, for exactly one frame, the first frame. You can kind of use that to your advantage and delay throwing out the move to kind of force the meteor to hit, but in general, it's not practical to aim for or expect you are going to get the meteor off stage. It's much safer to just hand the Dair out there and drag it into them.

The landing hit is always a meteor, though it only hits grounded opponents.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The landing hit can also hit airborne opponents but does not meteor, it sends outward.

MS DOS

Smash Rookie
"The hitbox is in, like, the butthole of the key" is how I put it once
imo it's best for tech chasing, d-air -> up-smash is stupidly powerful, and it has a nice spike bounce ~

WillieDangerously

Smash Cadet
An extremely helpful combo I've found is dair them on stage (either head on or frame 1) to cause them to bounce on the stage like a Ganon dair. If they are around 40-70ish %, they should land in time for you to pull off an uncharged usmash, which on the right stages could kill rather early. Helped me a couple of times, especially hitting larger targets like Charizard.
As for on the regular basis, don't try fishing for it because it's a frame 1 deal, many characters like Marth could easily beat you out in the neutral game before you even get close enough to dair.

Last edited:

Hamman88

Smash Cadet
An extremely helpful combo I've found is dair them on stage (either head on or frame 1) to cause them to bounce on the stage like a Ganon dair. If they are around 40-70ish %, they should land in time for you to pull off an uncharged usmash, which on the right stages could kill rather early. Helped me a couple of times, especially hitting larger targets like Charizard.
As for on the regular basis, don't try fishing for it because it's a frame 1 deal, many characters like Marth could easily beat you out in the neutral game before you even get close enough to dair.
or, or, better yet, you troll the **** outta em cause your g&w do the patented Dakpo combo: dair stagepike -> footstool -> stagespike again cause they missed the tech -> upsmash. I'm also a fan of repeating the dair footstool untill they finally grow a pair and tech it, or unplug their controller cause they suck

Experiment 5

Smash Rookie
I find the meteor hitbox is best for pillaring--especially on those magical christmasland moments when you can pull off dtilt/upthrow --> up-B --> bair --> jump, d-air --> dair again for the landing hitbox --> dakpo shenanigans or straight upsmash.

When it works (and it rarely does), it kills lighter floaties if you start it at around 20-30%. The move sequence in the middle is a little shaky (it might not be EXACTLY what I said, but it's something close), but that's basically it. It also relies on a missed tech, but people don't often tech the second key because they don't expect it to be out in time.

Top Bottom