• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the definition of a "main"?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Is a main the character that a player uses the most, or is it the character that someone is best at playing? Or is it something else?

I consider my main to be Game & Watch, even though most people consider my Samus to be better than my G&W. I now use Samus in tournaments instead of G&W because of that. I still use G&W the most though. So I'm not sure if I'm a Samus main or a G&W main. :dizzy:

I always thought a main was someone's favorite character, the one they use the most.

Edg

Smash Cadet
Main would be the character you play mot often... although 95% of the time that character is also your best.

ROB_[MCC}

Smash Apprentice
Who you main is the character you would pick in a double-blind situation... aka usually the first round in a tourny set (prior to counter picks).

Peaches

Smash Lord
Who you main is the character you would pick in a double-blind situation... aka usually the first round in a tourny set (prior to counter picks).
That's not necessarily true. SOmetimes people use a different character that is easier to play because

1. less stress making it easier to last the whole tournament

2. less people seeing how you play your best

A main is basically just who you play. Not many people will actually main a character that they are worse with, though if you like low tiers a lot it's possible to do better with someone oter than your main. (this is usually the reason people drop low tiers as mains BTW)

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
The Meaning of 'Main'

A Main is someone would use this character most often. The main is most likely the person would take his main seriously, so it'll mostly be used in tourtuments, especially the final.

Now, incase you don't know, there's the meaning called 'Secondary.' It's a lower level then Main. it basically means he'll use characters that he's either not good with, or good with them, but just isn't his favorite and so on. There can be more then one secondary character. It's usually used to test the opponent's style of play so he/she could counter-pick with either another secondary character, or a main.

Hope this helps

Shieldkrusher

Smash Cadet
Your "Main" equals your main character (most played, best with etc.) and your "Alt(s)" are your alternate characters you use.

The terms were coined in MMORPGs like World of Warcraft

Pneuma

Smash Ace
Your "Main" equals your main character (most played, best with etc.) and your "Alt(s)" are your alternate characters you use.
The terms were coined in MMORPGs like World of Warcraft
Ugh, try to use an MMO that came out less recently. Diablo, Ultima, Everquest, all acceptable.

One day I stopped caring about which character I should "main" and just started playing every character. It makes you 100% better at spacing and I suggest it highly. Then you can just counterpick to your heart's content. ^_^

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
I've always thought a main is the character you use most often (and thus is usualy your best), while a secondary would be...well...any other character you use >_>

My Falco is my most commonly used character (and incedently, my best), so thats who I consider my main. I really enjoy playing Marth too, though I'm not terrific with him. I consider him my secondary.

Though Pneuma has a point :p It's fun to know how to play everybody for friendlies, and I'll frequently pick DK, Mario, Bowser, Link or the ICs among others, just for fun. For the record, every smash player on earth should know how to play the ICs, just because of so cool (pun intended) they are.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
I consider my main the character I want people to think of when they play me multiple times.

I play Captain Falcon, Fox, Marth, and Jigglypuff, but I like it when someone considers me a Falcon player better than the others. So I consider him my main.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
a main character is a character you use the most in tourneys or regular play,generally its one of your best characters

Seanson

Smash Ace
Maybe we shouldnt refer to characters we play the most with or play the best with as mains. After all, playing the most with and being the best with are 2 different things.

Who do you play with the most? Falco

Who are you best with? Marth

Who is your favorite? Luigi

All these questions are individual questions, and perhaps should not be associated with a "main". If someone asks who you main I guess you could pick any character, but who do you use in tourneys? You could answer with your favorite, your best, your most used... that part of the answer is up to you.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
A main is the character you've taking a liking to, whether it's the way they look, act, or just the way they fight, thus you use them more often than others. Because you use them as much as you do, you probably can utilize him/her better than your friend can. Likewise, they main characters that you don't use commonly. Put these two parts of the equation togerther and you've got a match.

But yeah... a main is a character you're most experienced and have a higher caliber of skill with compared to the other 24 characters. People have multiple mains that they use evenly or just happen to get skilled with them at a fast rate. It also depends on your personal taste, as well.

And thus the wheels of Smash turn ever strongly...

ximrekcuf

Smash Apprentice
I think its who you use the most, not who you do best with. However it would seem if you use this character the most you would be best at it... Except sometimes tiers play a role, for example I would say Young link is my main, except sometimes I seem to have more success using Captain Falcon.

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
I think the definition of a main is a character that you use someplace where it counts (i.e a tourney), but I don't think that you necessarily have to be good with them( i.e I main Fox, but I suck with Fox).

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Your main is not your favorite character, it is the character that you play most effectively. You can just plain hate the person that you use & still have them as your main. For the record, I personally think that you can have more than one main.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Interesting... if I don't like a character, I wouldn't try to be good with him or her and use a character I'm more familer with instead. That's how I got my main, but that's me... maybe some of you are a one-hit wonder with some character opposed to the guy you currently main.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
Well idk about that, because I main zelda, but my shiek and marth are better. Your main is who ever you declare your main to be.

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
Like said before ur main is the one u use the most
I dont have a real ¨main¨ cause I alternate between Link, Samus and Peach:ohwell:

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Your Main char is who you like the most. Most likely you will play that char the most and are best with them but not always. You can always have a 2nd char list like in my sig.

Top Bottom