• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is the character with the most underdeveloped meta of all of the SSB4 roster?

ZzBri

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm pretty new here to the competitive scene and I just wanted to have your opinion on which character has the most underdeveloped Meta of the entire cast. (Not including DLC)

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
If you count Mii fighters, then definitely all three of them.
Also:
Wii Fit Trainer
Duck Hunt
Dr. Mario

And actually, the DLCs have quite some representation, with only the possible exception of Roy.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
well i mean you dont see bowser jr in play very often
Underdeveloped =/= underplayed.
Notable example: Pit. Earth has done some notable development with Pit, but few others play him. Similar cases exist with ESAM's Pikachu and Ranai's Villager, but those two go to more tournaments.

Creckut

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crekcut
The most underdeveloped characters in the professional scene i would think are little mac, duck hunt and wii fit, but they are all played a lot casually on for glory, so id say the most underdeveloped (i guess least used in this case) characters in the casual scene are olimar, rob, and meta knight. Probably because they're all slightly more difficult to kill with.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'd say Duck Hunt. One, you don't see him very often in tourneys, and I know underrated doesn't mean underdeveloped, but how many people actually know how to play against a good Duck Hunt? I'll tell you, he's not the campy spammy type most people would think. But that's the problem. A lot of Duck Hunt players do play that way, while there is a small number who make good use of his zoning, projectile, and combo game. But because he's rarely ever seen, it's rare you'll find the different style. I'd also say Olimar. You can watch Dabuz' Olimar, but have you seen Shuton's Olimar?

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Pac-Man

(Statement to make this post more than 10 characters so I can post this)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Duck Hunt.
Wii Fit.
Palutena.

Those three aren't as developed as the others.
Palutena has multiple dedicated mains placing well with her in the current meta, that's more than many can say. Same with Shulk.

Duck Hunt... depends on if Japan is being counted here or not. If it is, Duck Hunt ain't at the bottom of the pack.

Olimar is pretty likely, though he's gaining some ground now. Roy is only really being looked at as a pocket secondary. Charizard is in a similar boat (with one dedicated main in a weaker area). Lucina is... arguable. She gets some simply by being so similar to Marth, and Nairo is putting work into her now, I'd say she's a question mark. Falco I suspect is one because... man there is just nothing to look optimistic about when it comes to Falco. Bower Jr. had some early on in the meta but it has dried up, same with Pac-Man. Wii Fit had some but it seems to have dried up as well. D3 oddly enough actually has multiple people putting work into him. Dr.Mario had a very briefly lived flash in the pan, and beyond that just one guy really still trying to put in work with him.

I'd say:
:4feroy::4charizard::4falco::4wiifit::4drmario::4ganondorf:

Honourable Mentions:
:4olimar::4bowserjr::4pacman:

Depends on how you look at it:
:4lucina:

Shout out for being a crappy character but having serious work put into them:
:4dedede::4samus::4zelda::4duckhunt:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Of the tourney relevant ones who I feel actually have the most potential to shoot up the tier list -

:4bayonetta2: especially I feel has top 3 potential, maybe even best in game potential. She's sooo underrated right now just because of the nerfs, everyone auto assumes she's not super good anymore, which is not true. Her punish game and rewards off stray hits is beyond stupid. And then there's witch time.

:4lucas:I think he has top 15 potential with footstool jank that we're starting to see from taheita in japan.

:4lucario:Will be super interesting what this character can do if a top player can master play with aura

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
:4miisword::4miigun::4miibrawl: no questions asked.

Palutena has multiple dedicated mains placing well with her in the current meta, that's more than many can say. Same with Shulk.

Duck Hunt... depends on if Japan is being counted here or not. If it is, Duck Hunt ain't at the bottom of the pack.
What is the matter if it is Japan? The development is still there and the DH players adopt the tactics. America isn't the only place in the world.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Roy's definitely up there. Only a handful of people play him, but Ryo showed the world just how scary he can be when played correctly with his most recent match against Abadango.

Stiga

Smash Cadet
:4dedede:,:4feroy:, (edit):4kirby:,(edit):4olimar:,:4corrin::4corrinf:,:4lucina:,:4lucas:,:4lucario:,:4greninja:,:4ryu:,:4falco:,:4shulk:, :4charizard:,:4cloud:
That's a lot of characters, but I think that my cloud opinion might be a little controversial.
:substitute:

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
:4dedede:,:4feroy:,:4corrin::4corrinf:,:4lucina:,:4lucas:,:4lucario:,:4greninja:,:4ryu:,:4falco:,:4shulk:, :4charizard:,:4cloud:
That's a lot of characters, but I think that my cloud opinion might be a little controversial.
:substitute:
Are you saying Ryu is underdeveloped because of all the hidden potential we've yet to unlock with him?

Stiga

Smash Cadet
Are you saying Ryu is underdeveloped because of all the hidden potential we've yet to unlock with him?
Uh... yeah. He has ridiculous dair strings, complicated but effective inputs, and a great finisher, Shoryuken. The only good player is Trela, who never turns up to tourneys.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Uh... yeah. He has ridiculous dair strings, complicated but effective inputs, and a great finisher, Shoryuken. The only good player is Trela, who never turns up to tourneys.
Yeah, I feel like a character like Ryu will take a really long time to have his meta fully developed.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
:4falco:
Honestly most people don't know much of Falco and I think he has lots of room to grow

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Yeah, I feel like a character like Ryu will take a really long time to have his meta fully developed.
Honestly I feel the opposite. I don't see Ryu having much potential. Yeah, he has crazy complicated stuff up close but it is all reliant on him getting in with a very lacking approach game. He can't use any of that tech unless he gets in, which he just won't against top players who know the matchup.

His lacking approach I feel will forever keep him out of top 10.

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Honestly I feel the opposite. I don't see Ryu having much potential. Yeah, he has crazy complicated stuff up close but it is all reliant on him getting in with a very lacking approach game. He can't use any of that tech unless he gets in, which he just won't against top players who know the matchup.

His lacking approach I feel will forever keep him out of top 10.
We shall see.

smashgod75

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3222-6378-9953
Olimar is so underdevelopped that nobody thought of him

Last edited:

Emmington

Smash Cadet
While I can't really call Robin underdeveloped, I'm gonna have to say us Robins haven't come close to their full potential thanks to their ridiculously high skill ceiling.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
Shulk is likely one of them. He has a lot of high-skill level tech but no one really seems to use him in tournament. I know Zero pulls him out time to time but I would not count it. I'm hoping a Japanese player will pull out Shulk someday since they're a lot more inclined to actually learn a character compared to here where most of us just stick to the current meta.

JayZee1700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JZ1700
3DS FC
4442-2981-4202
Who has ever seen Ganondorf at a tournament? He has very little representation in the competitive scene, and his lack of positive matchups against the majority of the cast makes him difficult to use. Although Ganon is pretty bad, I've begun to explore some of Ganon's potential: he obviously has enormous kill power, decent early % combos, and good mixups with his command grabs and tech chases. I want to see him grow, but he still has probably one of the least developed metas of the cast.

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
I feel like a lot of projectile characters have a lot to grow. Both Link :4link:and Tink :4tlink:feel like their metas will rise in time. Pac-man :4pacman:also comes to mind. Also :4charizard:,:4shulk:,:4wiifit:,:4feroy:, and:4falco: are all pretty underdeveloped overall. If their rep is generally low, they probably have stuff left to discover. Roy comes across as most underdeveloped to me

randomtechguy142857

Smash Cadet
Shulk, with relation to the other characters, has a developed but completely underused meta. Whereas he has an awful lot of ATs (e.g. Monado Art Ledge Getup Lag Cancelling) discovered, you very seldom see people use them in tournament. Even the (arguably) least situational and most useful tech, MALLC, seems to only be used a couple of times per match if that. I'm a none too high level player and I don't know if this is for a reason, but I would hazard a guess that a player who could master the Monado would be a formidable force in tournament.

Aside from that, he's obviously developed to a large extent but I have no idea how much more can be squeezed out of the character. He could be almost completely developed but I'd imagine there are quite a few more useful but incredibly situational ATs out there with Art activation and deactivation, among other things.

Last edited:

Stiga

Smash Cadet
I feel like a lot of projectile characters have a lot to grow. Both Link :4link:and Tink :4tlink:feel like their metas will rise in time. Pac-man :4pacman:also comes to mind. Also :4charizard:,:4shulk:,:4wiifit:,:4feroy:, and:4falco: are all pretty underdeveloped overall. If their rep is generally low, they probably have stuff left to discover. Roy comes across as most underdeveloped to me
:4tlink: was nearly perfect with Hyuga but then he got drunk and did that stupid thing (not going into detail). He almost felt like top 15.
For :4pacman:, I think that Abadango pushed him to his limits (which wasn't much). Although Abadango did well with :4pacman: and :4wario:, he's doing a lot better with :4metaknight: and :4mewtwo:.
Also, can someone please explain what this is? :substitute:

Balbys23

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2595-0802-2073
Olimar, Dr.Mario, Toon Link, Falco, Dark Pit, Roy

Lucina is the most underdeveloped character in my opinion. Just a lighter version of Marth, nothing special.

D

Deleted member

I'll have to say Olimar. He's such an extremely rare sight these days.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Ness MK and DP do have major rep IIRC, though I do agree with you on the others(especially Kirby and Lucario.)
Can't believe I forgot about nakat and Leo. As well as Day putting in that Lucario work. DP though? Who's playing DP?

Top Bottom