• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is #FreeSSBB and Where Do You Fit Within It?

Djent

Smash Champion
I like the idea of one-stock Bo5 tournaments as a new singles format. There's nothing wrong with matches only taking 3 minutes and potentially occurring on more stages. Plus, I don't even think the supposed "variance" problem of 1-stock exists; playing more games should actually do more to decrease variance than increasing the stock count.

Also, can doubles please get more love? The only remotely "OP" team is double MK, and in Japan even that one doesn't always dominate. Brawl doubles has some really unique strategies that have proven to be way more than gimmicks (Anubis, healing, bucket, etc.). I think there's still a good deal to be explored even without much change to the doubles ruleset at all.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
The appeal of brawl is the complexity of the decision making in the game. While there are exceptions like CGs and footstool shenanigans, almost every input in brawl has some kind of consequence at higher level play. With limited movement came more risk in every little action such as jumping, shielding, or even moving forward. The constant change in the paradigm of the neutral game is unique in brawl versus melee. In melee the neutral game is highly dependent on superior movement and strong punish game on baiting, while brawl is more like a constant battle of keeping advantage. This is probably the main reason why it's so boring to the average spectator, the best analogy would be watching chess is kinda like watching paint dry if you can't understand the small intricacies of the game.

Overall it's still a flawed game for so many reasons, but the all in all the design still had a lot of merit IMO.
Thanks for explaining.

PizzaSmash

Smash Rookie
Dunno about the rest of your post, but as far as this goes, we have wiimote->gcn controller adapters. 'S all good, playa.
I hope so. The Gamecube controller is pretty damn comfortable but loud lol.

Last edited:

PizzaSmash

Smash Rookie
Dunno about the rest of your post, but as far as this goes, we have wiimote->gcn controller adapters. 'S all good, playa.
Still, I think that using third party adapters to play the next game proves my point that certain players can't adapt to new things. Is something like that really respectful to use when your opponent might not own one? It's still cool that someone is making these things though.

Last edited:

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
Still, I think that using third party adapters to play the next game proves my point that certain players can't adapt to new things. Is something like that really respectful to use when your opponent might not own one? It's still cool that someone is making these things though.
I'll probably switch to the Wii U Pro controller unless Smash 4 feels a LOT like PM and Melee. Using different controllers for different games helps my muscle memory adapt quicker. I use the Classic controller for Brawl.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
One big reason brawl is dying is cause of the players, not the game itself. People are constantly abusing unfair mechanics, stalling at the ledge, camping, and using one single over powered character, while people who play melee and 64 constantly attack every single detail about the game. Hell, if the players would just view brawl as a different game and stop abusing overused tatics, this thread won't even exist.

Mavrek

Smash Cadet
I live in Melbourne Australia and I just attended my first ever Smash tournament at the Couch Warriors 'BAM' qualifier a few days ago. I played Project M and got spanked, but losing only fuels my competitiveness and it makes me want to improve and go back for more. The Smash scene is truly addictive.

I can really relate to what this post is saying and support it 100%. I consider myself someone that will push something purely out of passion, that's why I am planning to hold my own tournament event in early January.

RockyLuna-

Smash Rookie
After coming back to melee after about 4 years, it made me realize how much brawl limited the player. I still had love for brawl because my friends got me back into it after dropping it a few months after its release. Ill be honest, brawl is sticky and does take some decent skill to be good at. But in the end, the game does not have the history and background that's needed to go along with something like this. The only thing thats fun for me to watch from brawl competitive is 2v2s, sadly.

If you dont like Melee, just try some project M.

Last edited:

SuperCosmicSmash

Smash Cadet
Spoilers : Do not read if you are offended easily.

I really think Brawl is done at this point in time, I am moving on to Smash 4 because it will make Brawl look like a ugly stepsister.

Brawl is done, it's empty like a cave crawling with bats and snakes (see what I did there). I know Brawl will still be played, but all you are doing is throwing money at the bats.

Be cool, don't trip out (lol trip).

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
To the person who said that Brawl was a match to see who got hit less.

Ever hear of Super Smash Bros 64 player Isai and his don't get hit mentality? #dontgethit #freebrawl

Just to let you all know, N64 Smash is the oldest Smash game by far with the least amount of characters, worst graphics(I like them), and no airdodge yet it is growing in size.

SuperCosmicSmash

Smash Cadet
Another factor is Smash 64 has 0-death combos. Brawl is just a big territory war in the neutral stance with air dodging and no combos. It's just chain grabs,projectiles, and spacing. Look at Melee Fox, he doesn't have to space because of his fantastic aggressive game.

Last edited:

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
Edit: sonicbrawler182 here you go

If this is the case then Melee should half way die too. Even though aMSA took 9th place with Yoshi at Apex this year (MacD took 8th with Peach notably), how many times do we see Fox and Falco mirrors and Fox v Falco match ups at the end?! Yeah someone might run through the pools with Sheik, Falcon, Marth or even Puff (as usual) but when top 4 hits, almost EVERYBODY turns to the security tiers and once again Fox/Falco matches. Or if they get bodied by one, they ditto into one. Rarely is it appealing to continuously see Fox/Falco for every single Melee championship. Even 2v2, ruled by Foxes. Melees fast pace and (accidental but noteworthy) technicality is why it beats out Brawl competitively.

But thats why 4 will do something the first 3 games could not do, CHANGE AFTER RELEASE. If Sakurai see cancels, OP/UP characters, or something he never meant to implement thats become widely used, he can and will patch it. The day a Smash patch changes something big in-game hopefully the community will adapt instead of abandon.
Are you actually comparing seeing a set that's always exciting and ~ 13 minutes/set(Bo3) to a set that's neutral game for 20 minutes(in a Bo3)?
Yes tier lists heavily influence what's played at the highest level. Is it only Spacies that place high at major events? Absolutely not. Ice Climbers won TNE. RoM7 had a Luigi that did fantastic. And a Samus. Not every Finals match for melee is FvF. There's plenty that aren't.
Brawl with the tripping and lag removed is actually great under the proposed 1 stock Bo5. Because currently and as previously mentioned, Brawl finals are mostly MK and Icies, with diddy coming in at a strong 3rd. So much fun to watch camping simulator 20XX.
The change in ruleset should help immensely, and so should the removal of RNG trips/lag. The game has potential and is good for newer people to the scene, and a strong resurgence would rock.

P.S. Sakurai was well aware of wavedashing while the game was in development and could have fixed it then. And I'm not entirely sure, but I think L-cancelling was on purpose.

7dogguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2466-2487-7066
Why is no one doing this for 64 its so much more exciting in comparison

PizzaSmash

Smash Rookie
Very wrong, 64 is the godfather of the Smash series. Nobody says anything bad about 64 except graphics (which I don't care for).
Yeah, people bash Brawl so much that I never really see anything about a 64 comparison. I'm surprised it was actually mentioned.

Last edited:

FlowinWater

Smash Champion
I am what you would call a melee fanboy. To be honest I respect the competetive players for Brawl, but I don't respect the game :/. Big reason for that was the big dissappintment when I first played it, I played melee for 6 years competetively. The developer intentionally limited movement, added randomness, and killed appeal with no legit comboes. Me as a hardcore gamer can't appreciate that. Almost like seeing the skill gap diminish between halo 2 and halo 3 and the other halo titles that destroyed the community and eventually had it removed from the MLG Circuit!

I don't play Melee much if at all any more, but that game was a thing of beauty, even at high level play you can do a FFA with items on and is a blast! Sadly Brawl just didn't do it for me. Wish developers cared more about the mechanics of a game instead of just going for sales. Games have lost that passion that you could feel when you played it man :/. Just re release melee on wii u with online and balance patches and take my money Nintendo!

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
WALL OF TEXT, SORRY.

As someone who plays Smash, Street Fighter, & Mortal Kombat the only problem with here is the timeframe Melee was introduced. Players found cancels, wavedashes, and other technology that Sakurai never meant to implement into the game (and i praise them for dedicating their time to find such techniques). And since updating a game worldwide was IMPOSSIBLE on Gamecube, we were stuck with those exploits. If Melee was now on Wii U instead of SSB4 and the same tech found back then was found now just months after release, Sakurai would not have hesitated to remove them in a patch. And what happens to the community when a game gets patched? They either give praise, cry, or don't care, but THEY ALL ADAPT and keep playing til the next patch and the cycle continues. But since there was never a patch available and Brawl was released years later, the Melee community was forced to choose where to go. Either stay or go and that divided the community into what it is now, which version is better. And with Smash being the MOST UNIQUE FIGHTING GAME EVER MADE, due to it not falling in the pure ranks and categories of the genre, we are shunned by other communities "its not a true fighting game" "its made for kids" "its not competitive" etc etc.....i hope when 4 releases the community doesn't split into a 3rd and continue the "who better" game or eventually each one will be to small to have a voice of competitiveness...
I agree with most of what you said; however, L-Canceling has been in the game since Smash 64, and in several interviews, Sakurai stated that game testers had found wavedashing LONG before the game retailed. He intentionally made Brawl more casual and approachable for the Wii's target audience, and thus air-dodges were adjusted and tripping was instated. He wouldn't have patched out L-cancels or wacedashes if the GCN was an online system.

Top Bottom