• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is a good way to get used to new techs on smash?

Earthy

Smash Rookie
I am new sorta to this sense, and would like a easy way, or practice to get used to some sort of techs like perfect pivoting.

Tayman

Smash Apprentice
keep practicing till you get it, it may take awhile and it will take even longer to get used to using it in matches but eventually you will master it.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The best advice I can give you is to not worry about tech. Improving fundamentals is what will lead to better performance.

It's tempting to look for some magical secret that will lead to success, but no such secret exists. (Perfect pivoting certainly isn't one.)

False's videos will help you more than a thousand "techs":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYWXCTKKDV0&list=PLqMrQjjwZ1M8v9afTHtaK6iBYwJj-O9m-
Couldn't agree more. Improve your fundamentals. Even advanced stuff like baiting and powershields, then you can worry about A-landings and stuff like that. If you're new to the game, and you start by doing techs, it'll only make your gameplay sloppier.

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
No disrespect, but I think telling a new player to learn neutral isn't as helpful as giving a list of 'advanced techniques' that most players take a while to figure out. Neutral to a new player just sounds like 'don't get hit, land the first hit'. Everything else is not neutral. Without ATs, you're neutral, advantage and disadvantage is probably going to suck.

Perfect pivoting is the worst tech to start learning. Don't waste your time with it until you can do practically everything else. These are what I think the most important ATs for new players to learn are (maybe they aren't all ATs, but they sure as hell feel like them when you do it right):

• Walking (walk > attack, walk > shield)
  • Dash into Shield
  • Foxtrot (short and long)
  • Dash into turnaround tilts/pivot grabs
  • Shield-grabbing
  • Jumping out of shield (OoS > attack)
  • Jump-canceled up-smash/up-special OoS. (7 frames faster than shield-dropping regularly)
  • Running jump-canceled up-smash/up-special
  • RAR JC up-smash/up-special OoS
  • RAR B-air, RAR everything.
  • B-reverses (three different methods)
  • C-sticking air attacks (for retreating air attacks or advancing backwards for some reason)
I'm still learning and practicing things, but these are techniques, while not comprehensive, are things I wish I knew from the very beginning because they have essential functions in the bait and punish game.

Practice one thing at a time. Go on For Glory and say, I'm going to practice edge-gaurding with RAR B-air and spam it to no end. You'll find situations where it works and situations where it doesn't and eventually you'll be able to identify which is which. You'll might have to fail many times against opponents before you have a grasp of how to implement advanced techniques on an opponent.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Whether we call things like walking and dash-into-shield ATs or fundamentals, I agree that this is what any new player should focus on.

Other key points:
  • Being conscious about which direction you are facing in the air, and the different applications of your fair and bair.
  • Being conscious about committing to a dash vs. walking.
  • Being conscious about short-hopping vs. full-hopping.
    • Understanding the significance of having an aerial attack auto-cancel when done out of a short hop.
  • Understanding ledge options.
    • Stand
    • Attack
    • Roll
    • Jump
    • Drop
    • Wait
  • Understanding (native) OoS counter-offensive options.
    • Grab
    • Jump (-> aerial attack)
    • (Jump-cancel) U-smash
    • (Jump-cancel) Up-b

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Dash to Shield, Foxtrot, Up Smash out of Shield, Up Special out of Shield, B-Reversal and Shield Dropping are all relatively easy to do. Once someone tells you the input, all you need to do is learn to do them consistently. You need to be careful for your Dash Shield to not become a roll, the OOS Attacks require somewhat precise timing with the JC (but the timing is easy to learn), and Shield Dropping is... finnicky, but very useful to learn how to do consistently. If you need to start by learning any techs, it should probably be those.

Top Bottom