• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if Zelda was a girl (Character Q&A)

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Hello Everyone.

I've created this thread upon finding no other one like it, so here it is.

This thread is a Q&A thread for asking and answering questions.

While using this thread, please use it for its purpose. Avoid speculation, and try to base answers off of what we know.

The point of this thread is to give an insight of the character to anyone who is new to the smash community, or is interested on learning / knowing more about the character.

Please use manners and respect everyone, there are no stupid questions.

Thank you, and happy smashing.

Last edited:

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
How does Zelda fare against rushdown? Is Phantom Slash good for getting fast characters out of her face? And how useful is Farore's Wind when edgeguarding against opponents above and to the side of the stage?

Last edited:

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
How does Zelda fare against rushdown? Is Phantom Slash good for getting fast characters out of her face? And how useful is Farore's Wind when edgeguarding against opponents above and to the side of the stage?
Zelda has a good rushdown, her dash attack is very good especially out of grab. I imagine she could use her phantom slash and din's fire to camp and punish people who aimlessly rush in, so I'd guess that'd be a yes. Zelda's wind is a lot better in this game for sweet spotting, so it's a lot easier in this game than others to kill off the stage AND make it back.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
Okay, thanks. Does the Phantom push people away as it moves away from Zelda after being summoned, or does it does it not bodyblock until after reaching it's destination?

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Okay, thanks. Does the Phantom push people away as it moves away from Zelda after being summoned, or does it does it not bodyblock until after reaching it's destination?
No, the phantom will not push like mario's F.L.U.D.D. Once it meets it's destination, (whether it be hitting the opponent, or going as far as it can go and missing) the phantom will swing it's sword and strike, hitting the opponent backwards. Did I answer your question?

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Can you Up-B down into the ledge to grab it? Or even at a 45 degree angle from above? Some edgeguarding ideas come to mind if you can...
Yes, Zelda's up b has been buffed. Not only can you now sweet spot the ledge, and without the ledge hogging mechanic, zelda jumping off the stage isn't suicide.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
So far from most pros who have the game, and from videos and such, zelda isn't looking so good. Although, she does seem better than her versions in brawl and melee. We just have to keep our hopes up.
Why are you giving people false information? Zelda is much much much more improved than her Brawl/Melee incarnations. Nario has already shown that she is an insane force to be reckoned with.

I don't think any of us should be answering these questions. Sure, general questions, but I'd advise to not give out misleading information like that.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Zelda is much much much more improved than her Brawl/Melee incarnations. Nario has already shown that she is an insane force to be reckoned with.
T. Hawk is much much much more improved than his AE/2012 incarnations. KojiKOG has already shown that he is an insane force to be reckoned with.

T. Hawk is still a bad character.

Last edited:

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Why are you giving people false information? Zelda is much much much more improved than her Brawl/Melee incarnations. Nario has already shown that she is an insane force to be reckoned with.

I don't think any of us should be answering these questions. Sure, general questions, but I'd advise to not give out misleading information like that.
I do give myself permission to be wrong, as anyone should. Obviously, nobody has clear knowledge of who's good and bad, but from what I've seen and heard, I feel that zelda is better than brawl and melee, but still not as good as the other characters in sm4sh. I've also seen Nairo get crushed many times with Zelda. My deepest apologies to any 'false' information I've given.

Nairo

Banned via Administration
I do give myself permission to be wrong, as anyone should. Obviously, nobody has clear knowledge of who's good and bad, but from what I've seen and heard, I feel that zelda is better than brawl and melee, but still not as good as the other characters in sm4sh. I've also seen Nairo get crushed many times with Zelda. My deepest apologies to any 'false' information I've given.
Zelda is better in smash 4 than brawl and melee but she isn't like OMG TOP 5 or anything like that but she can possibly be like midtier/NOT BOTTOM 3 AGAIN! But yea the game hasnt been out for long so nothing is fact right now (I also havent really been crushed a lot when I use zelda I may lose but I dont get trashed on! LOL =[)

Nairo

Sis didn't you main Meta Knight in Brawl...?

It's cute that you're #TeamZelda for now but let's be real....

Let's place bets on how long before the good sis drops her once he realizes she isn't going to win him any tournaments against competent players once the metagame develops.

I say within 6 months to a year.

I actually think it will be refreshing once she's established as a bad character, at least then well have discussions in peace from a few of the abundance of ignorant casuals and tier whor.es trying to be cute with her.
Like we know you're gonna hop on Rosaline or Bowser or whoever is deemed good once you aren't able to win anymore.
Sis I used zelda since day 1 of brawl then used wolf/falco then mk (just because she aint my main doesnt mean that it cant be better than those that do main her SIS) and she isnt my main in smash 4 id say my reflet is more of a main than she is right now but il always have a zelda since she is fun (and lol at #teamzelda for now when my brawl zelda was probably one of the best even tho she wasnt my main lmao) I had interest in rosaLINA pre e3 but now that I got the game Ive used her twice she isnt boring or anything but I dont think il be maining her. As for bowser I dont even think he is all that lmao as time goes on I feel like he will get worse but obv this is the best bowser out of all smash games so yea SIS feels like ya salty that an mk main in brawl is using someone else that you may like~

Nairo

But sis where were you the moment she dropped to the bottom of the tier list?

I'm afraid I don't see your name or contributions on the tournament results thread I made for the past 3 years for Zelda.

HmmmT that's very curious.

Playing Meta Knight I presume?

As one of the "best" I'd think you would have some tourny results to back you up.

And let's noT with you saying you wouldn't use Irrelevina.

If she ends up being the next MK, you'd be on the bandwagon faster than a FD stage ban against Ice Climbers.
Hunny in that time period where she became bottom 3 I wasnt going to tourneys/didnt care to look at tierlists but I mean whatever you(guessing you use zelda) and the other zelda users clearly werent making an impact with her now were ya? hmmm that is very curious that I NEED results to be considered good I guess nakats fox must be bad since it doesnt have any results lately or vinnies GNW hmmm really strange! wow Ive been playing a character that im better with than zelda?!?! BLASPHEMY! HOW DARE I!? I guess I must pay and enter apex 2015 brawl to use my NOT best character and win it all!!!! no sweetie it seems like someone is quite salty that I can do stuff you would never be able to with meta knight even if you really tried hehe! MK IS SO OP SO YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO WIN FREE IF YOU USE HIM RIGHT!?.. anddd no I see potential in reflet and other characters that ive been practicing that isnt rosalina but please continue to ride me this is fun! :D

Last edited:

Nairo

omg I got shot down somehow HYPE!!! andd during that time I would watch my brother and friends play brawl/not play until they told me to use mk "he is pretty good!" used him since SO YA THATS HOW IT ALL STARTED

Nairo

Tier whor.es doing the absolute most just to deny they're tier whor.es.

smh
the salt of people who cant win with top tier characters even if they tried smh i like this game of a random guy claiming to know my smash life tho!

CandyCakes

Banned via Warnings
Dood stop like Ik that he stopped using zelda but can u not hate on nairo, even if zelda isn't his main doesn't mean he won't use her and brawl was the past so even if he doesn't use her in tournaments, then ok cuz it's his choice... It's not like he's hating on her like he got 2nd in a tournament with her so stop calling him a tier who.re or stuff like that

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
the salt of people who cant win with top tier characters even if they tried smh i like this game of a random guy claiming to know my smash life tho!
I'm actually inclined to agree with fougen. Brawl Metaknight was embarrassingly OP. I don't want to start another argument, so if you disagree, that's your opinion and I'll respect it. Also, you don't know fougen can't win playing Metaknight, so please don't just assume he's bad. The fact that he made the contributions list he linked is enough to show that he has skill.

Dood stop like Ik that he stopped using zelda but can u not hate on nairo, even if zelda isn't his main doesn't mean he won't use her and brawl was the past so even if he doesn't use her in tournaments, then ok cuz it's his choice... It's not like he's hating on her like he got 2nd in a tournament with her so stop calling him a tier who.re or stuff like that
^^This, really. Though Nairo will probably switch to whoever's considered strong once the tier list comes out, that's his decision. All that says is Nairo can make the competitively logical choice. It's why there were so many MK's before his ban. It's not a big deal. People like winning, and if a character makes it easier for them to win, they'll probably play them.

Lastly, can we please stop arguing? This is supposed to be a questions thread. If you two want to argue who's better pm each other and exchange FC's once the game comes out.

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
Zelda is better in smash 4 than brawl and melee but she isn't like OMG TOP 5 or anything like that but she can possibly be like midtier/NOT BOTTOM 3 AGAIN! But yea the game hasnt been out for long so nothing is fact right now (I also havent really been crushed a lot when I use zelda I may lose but I dont get trashed on! LOL =[)
Holy crap Nairo exists

Sorry, I didn't really mean to put you down, I actually think you're really good, but sky talked crap about you. *which influenced my thoughts at the time

Last edited:

Nairo

I'm actually inclined to agree with fougen. Brawl Metaknight was embarrassingly OP. I don't want to start another argument, so if you disagree, that's your opinion and I'll respect it. Also, you don't know fougen can't win playing Metaknight, so please don't just assume he's bad. The fact that he made the contributions list he linked is enough to show that he has skill.

^^This, really. Though Nairo will probably switch to whoever's considered strong once the tier list comes out, that's his decision. All that says is Nairo can make the competitively logical choice. It's why there were so many MK's before his ban. It's not a big deal. People like winning, and if a character makes it easier for them to win, they'll probably play them.

Lastly, can we please stop arguing? This is supposed to be a questions thread. If you two want to argue who's better pm each other and exchange FC's once the game comes out.
Yea im not gonna argue it all I have to say is I have yet to see anybody calling him OP/easy to win with actually win a large scale tourney with him so yeaa but I do apologize for the arguing shoulda said it earlier but I can say it now but yea my bad
Holy crap Nairo exists

Sorry, I didn't really mean to put you down, I actually think you're really good, but sky talked crap about you. *which influenced my thoughts at the time
nah its cool me and sky are really cool when we played we just talked crap to each other after every game LOL BUT YEA SORRY GUYS!

CandyCakes

Banned via Warnings
@ Nairo Nairo its been a month and I've been wondering if zelda is good or at least mid tier since the meta has moved a little. She's gotten some new techniques like RC pivot grabs and some combos so is she good this itteration. Im pretty sure she won't be like bottom 5 but u kno anything could happen

Nairo

@ Nairo Nairo its been a month and I've been wondering if zelda is good or at least mid tier since the meta has moved a little. She's gotten some new techniques like RC pivot grabs and some combos so is she good this itteration. Im pretty sure she won't be like bottom 5 but u kno anything could happen
She is definitely at least mid tier maybe slighty better than mid (for now but she won't be worse than mid tier imo) she can fight well in a good amount of matchups and has a few annoying ones for me at least like little mac. Her upb alone is so good that I can't see her being top 5 unless theres a way to never get hit by it or something lol. Give her a shot if you are thinking about trying her!

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Is Zelda's jab suppose to trip opponents? When I say jab I mean neutral A. I saved the replay. Sorry if this is normal or already known I've never seen it before

CandyCakes

Banned via Warnings
She is definitely at least mid tier maybe slighty better than mid (for now but she won't be worse than mid tier imo) she can fight well in a good amount of matchups and has a few annoying ones for me at least like little mac. Her upb alone is so good that I can't see her being top 5 unless theres a way to never get hit by it or something lol. Give her a shot if you are thinking about trying her!
I already main her but I love watching ur zelda it's just different from most other zeldas tbh I'm just 14 but I want to go to tournaments and enter but idk how to start but I've started playing competitively last year... Anyways I've been wondering is robin ur main and zelda secondary or vice versa? Also, If u tried out her customs which ones do u think are good, I like dins blaze and phantom breaker

Last edited:

Nairo

I already main her but I love watching ur zelda it's just different from most other zeldas tbh I'm just 14 but I want to go to tournaments and enter but idk how to start but I've started playing competitively last year... Anyways I've been wondering is robin ur main and zelda secondary or vice versa? Also, If u tried out her customs which ones do u think are good, I like dins blaze and phantom breaker
Yea I think zelda playing aggressive is better than playing defensive for the most part and try to go out to tourney in your local scene to experience it! Get in touch with the TOs of your region and speak with them to learn more. I'm not sure who is my main they are both equal to me and I use one over the other in some MUs, but they are both my best but maybe robin is my real main. I've seen the customs but I like her normal dins fire than the other dins fires but I might give them another try some day and I think phantom breaker might be good but I use the default for more distance(less chance for me to get punished since I have to be closer to land a hit/hit their shield with phantom breaker I believe) so yea.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
How accurate is the circlepad, specifically for Faore's wind? Experimenting around, it felt like I can teleport in 16 different directions, but I don't know if anyone has actual data for this.

CandyCakes

Banned via Warnings
Yea I think zelda playing aggressive is better than playing defensive for the most part and try to go out to tourney in your local scene to experience it! Get in touch with the TOs of your region and speak with them to learn more. I'm not sure who is my main they are both equal to me and I use one over the other in some MUs, but they are both my best but maybe robin is my real main. I've seen the customs but I like her normal dins fire than the other dins fires but I might give them another try some day and I think phantom breaker might be good but I use the default for more distance(less chance for me to get punished since I have to be closer to land a hit/hit their shield with phantom breaker I believe) so yea.
Do u kno if there are any TOs around springfield VA because I want to meet with great smashers and I've been to one brawl tournament and I got 3rd I hope I get to meet u someday

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
So, how are people sweetspotting all of Zelda's moves? She seems to have a really high skill ceiling since half of her moves have sweetspots/sourspots. I've been running around in For Glory spamming shorthops and kicks, but Din's Fire and Uair are a lot harder to practice.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
I'll use the training mode to practice sweetspotting. Start with a stationary NPC (set it up on the platforms to practice sweetspotting kicks in the air), then adjust the AI so it can jump, walk, and finally run, progressing to the next level as you get confident in your abilities.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Speaking of which, how is Zelda's Fair/Bair sweetspot range in comparison to Brawl/Melee?

We know that the damage functionality is like Brawl's (Sweetspot 20-23%, Sourspot 4%, which blows, I'd REALLY rather have Melee's here), but what about the range? Is that just like Brawl's too (1 frame as opposed to Melee's 4 frames)? I have the game, it's just hard to tell, considering that I'm not the best at consistently sweetspotting lightning kicks myself.

Last edited:

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I would need to test it but it looks to be largely the same.

I'm thinking that people are mostly having issues because they're trying this on a 3DS. I sweetspot just as often in this game as Brawl now that I've gotten used to it.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Is Phantom slash an effective tool for breaking shields? 436

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Speaking of which, how is Zelda's Fair/Bair sweetspot range in comparison to Brawl/Melee?

We know that the damage functionality is like Brawl's (Sweetspot 20-23%, Sourspot 4%, which blows, I'd REALLY rather have Melee's here), but what about the range? Is that just like Brawl's too (1 frame as opposed to Melee's 4 frames)? I have the game, it's just hard to tell, considering that I'm not the best at consistently sweetspotting lightning kicks myself.
Okay, firstly, why have I NOT been watching this thread? LOL

But anyways, to answer your question, as far as we can tell by gameplay, the sweet-spot DEFINITELY doesn't last as long as the sour spot, which leads me to believe that it is still 1 frame like Brawl.

As for the size of the sweetspot, it is pretty much a slightly easier to land version of Brawl's; centered at her foot, rather close in, but less inside her now. I believe it is a simple enlarging of the hit-box from Brawl, considering the small vertical range improvement on the sweet spot.

EDIT : Oop,

Is Phantom slash an effective tool for breaking shields? 436
Phantom SLASH? Not very much. Phantom breaker though has pointedly increased shield damage, and can cut out about 80% of a shield at mid-charge. Phantom breaker has a set distance though, that is farther at lower charges than Slash, and shorter at full charges than Slash.

I HAVE heard though, that Phantom slash has occasionally gotten impressive shield pokes or the like at full charge, where the first hit shrunk their shield just enough so that the upswing hit them anyways.

Last edited:

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
My only interest in playing Zelda stems from the fact that she resembles a Jojo character when she uses Phantom Slash.

What would you say would be the most effective way to base my gamestyle primarily around phantom slash? And also, which version of her Down B is most effective when I can use customs?

Top Bottom