• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if you have to buy a game to unlock something?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
This has already happened:
You had to have a Pikmin save in the same memory card to unlock the Pikmin trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee.
More consistently, you had to have a Super Mario Galaxy save in the Wii to unlock Rosalina in Mario Kart Wii.
Are you prepared for the eventuality that you have to buy another Wii U game to unlock somethin4?
I'm pretty sure some of you would be pretty ticked of at the idea to be forced to a purchase.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Well technically you have to buy Smash 4 to unlock anything. :troll:

It's certainly a possibility, though given that Brawl didn't have anything of the sort means its not a guarantee. And if its a save file bonus we'll probably be able to download a save file off the internet.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Depends on what the reward is. If it's minor and not an important part of the game it's fine. If it is important, possible to get without the other game (but getting the game would be faster), and NOT treated like how the DLC has been done in EA & Activision games, I'd be fine with that too.

Oh, and BTW it was possible to unlock Rosalina in Mario Kart Wii without having a Super Mario Galaxy save. It was just faster and easier that way.

finalark

SNORLAX
Depends on what the reward is. If it's minor and not an important part of the game it's fine. If it is important, possible to get without the other game (but getting the game would be faster), and NOT treated like how the DLC has been done in EA & Activision games, I'd be fine with that too.

Oh, and BTW it was possible to unlock Rosalina in Mario Kart Wii without having a Super Mario Galaxy save. It was just faster and easier that way.
Pretty much this. If it just a trophy or some such nonsense I'll probably never notice then whatever.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If it's something like a character or stage or something. Then they should do like Mario Kart Wii and provide a less easy alternative. If it's just a trophy or sticker then, meh...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
There is only one instance of this ever happening in a Smash game. While it does not necessarily rule out the possibility of it happening again, it will probably for stickers and/or trophies that no one cares about.

Seriously, I didn't even know that the Olimar trophy existed in Melee until I looked up his page on SmashWiki

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
A character in smash is much bigger than a trophy or a mario kart character. Sakurai has enough control over the game, I don't think he'll ever be in a situation where this would happen.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I think more games should take this approach to the DLC aspect of things.
If it's to unlock a character, have them available to buy on the eShop for example, but also include a download code for said character in their game, an example being Toon Link being available for those who buy Wind Waker HD, but purchasable separately for those who don't buy the game.
They should only take this approach for post game DLC, but I think it's a good way to judge who supports each character; if you buy WW HD you'd obviously want Toon Link in Smash.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Well, since I usually buy most major Nintendo games... :troll:

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
This has already happened:
You had to have a Pikmin save in the same memory card to unlock the Pikmin trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee.
More consistently, you had to have a Super Mario Galaxy save in the Wii to unlock Rosalina in Mario Kart Wii.
Are you prepared for the eventuality that you have to buy another Wii U game to unlock somethin4?
I'm pretty sure some of you would be pretty ticked of at the idea to be forced to a purchase.
Buy? orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr buy and then return the next day? :troll:

volbound1700

Smash Master
You could get Rosalina in an alternate way. I don't mind it as long as there is alternate ways to unlock them.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Seems like a small price to pay if we have to end up buying a whole other console and then purchase the same game but just water downed...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If it's something small like the Olimar trophy in Melee, sure.

If it's something like buy Bayonetta 2 to unlock her as playable, NO! (Though I'd still buy it, the weak individual that I am...)

Top Bottom