• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if a veteran in Smash 4 fought their previous game incarnations?

David Wonn

Smash Ace
:4zelda: would be at a big disadvantage against :zeldamelee::zelda: because they can just switch to :sheikmelee::sheik:
On the other hand, :samus2: could taunt-transform into :zerosuitsamus:, making the fight against :4samus: more interesting, depending on which one takes better control of the armor pieces. Proper timing would make all the difference.

D

Deleted member

I wanna see how :4pit: vs. :pit: goes. It'd be a pretty interesting matchup.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Hm... Melee :linkmelee: VS Current :4link:. This will be in :4link:'s favor. Beside the buffs, SSB4 feels like the game where Link has his A-game in. I'm not sure about :link2: since I didn't use him in Brawl or played Project M. Sorry King of Braves, but :linkmelee: < :4link:.

:metaknight: VS :4metaknight: however. I don't main this guy, but supposedly he was too good for Brawl that he was banned. That being said, :metaknight: would win just from personal speculation but the match-up would still be interesting since I hear :4metaknight: is somewhere in top ten.

Last edited:

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
:olimar: (Brawl)
  1. Olimar can have up to 6 pikmins
  2. The pikmin's AI are sometimes smarter due to the fact they could quickly attach to Olimar whenever he (Olimar) run quickly. The pikmin also doesn't die if they got separated from Olimar.
  3. Olimar's recovery was bad of course.
:4olimar: (Smash 4) however, has a new useful recovery but he has dumber lesser pikmins.

As such, both of the space captains have pikmins (with special moves and throws included) that do different damages and knockbacks.

But even though the two (:4olimar: and :olimar:) have different ways of killing each other, I'm pretty sure they will either have even results or :olimar: beat :4olimar: in clutch moments.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
:4bowser: would annihilate any previous incarnation, with the possible exception of PM Bowser.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
No number of Pokemon Centers could bring :mewtwomelee: back after the new and improved :4mewtwo: said hi.

:151:

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
:4link:would either stare in absolute misery over :link64: & :link2:or just laugh over how pitiful their recoveries were while :linkmelee: struggles hard to keep up with :4link:. :4samus:beats :samus64:, slightly beats:samus2:but loses badly to :samusmelee:.

:4kirby: &:kirby2: wouldn't even fight. They would just team up and do their best to make sure everyone in the universe forgets the memory of :kirbymelee:. They are still lightyears away from :kirby64: though.

:mewtwomelee:& :roymelee:would basically die since :4mewtwo:&:4feroy:are taking all of their bloodstream for themselves.
But what if all the cut characters went up against:4drmario::4lucina::4darkpit:?
:snake:&:popo: will beat the crap out of :4lucina:&:4drmario:. :4darkpit: isn't as easy, but they still win. :wolf:would win against Lucy & Doc, but i think he goes even with Pitoo.

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I feel like :popo: would beat :icsmelee: but only because Nana's smarter in Brawl.

Pre-nerf, :4luigi: definitely beat :luigimelee: because he had ways to easily kill. Now I think it would be a closer match, as :4luigi: can still build damage more quickly but :luigimelee: can kill more easily.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel like :popo: would beat :icsmelee: but only because Nana's smarter in Brawl.

Pre-nerf, :4luigi: definitely beat :luigimelee: because he had ways to easily kill. Now I think it would be a closer match, as :4luigi: can still build damage more quickly but :luigimelee: can kill more easily.
Melee ICs still have wavedashes and can perform wobbles... On the other hand, Brawl ICs have that infinite chaingrab. It'd be even no doubt.

Furret24

Smash Master
Melee ICs still have wavedashes and can perform wobbles... On the other hand, Brawl ICs have that infinite chaingrab. It'd be even no doubt.
Say, what's the difference between Wobbling and Infinite Chaingrabs? I'm curious.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Say, what's the difference between Wobbling and Infinite Chaingrabs? I'm curious.
AFAIK Wobbling is desynching your second Ice Climber from the first one, grabbing your opponent with the main Climber, then pummeling with the main Climber while the secondary performs Down Tilts to rack up damage, but doing so in a certain specific rythm and position so your opponent never leaves the grab, or if he does leave, he's instantly regrabbed to restart the whole process.
Like this:
While and infinite chaingrab is... a chaingrab. That lasts for ever. Infinite as in not finite, chain as in nonstop and grab as in grab. That's it. Imagine if Melee :sheikmelee:'s Down Throw chain grab or :marthmelee:or :drmario:'s Up throw chain grab could be repeated forever, that's it.

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Smash 4 R.O.B. would destroy Brawl R.O.B., they made him so much better in this game :p

D

Deleted member

:younglinkmelee: vs. :4tlink:

This would be so fun to watch. Though Young Link would win offstage considering he can wall grapple and all that.

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
:younglinkmelee: vs. :4tlink:

This would be so fun to watch. Though Young Link would win offstage considering he can wall grapple and all that.
I secondary Toon Link and yeah, it would be an interesting match. Though Toon might have a slight advantage because his shield covers more of his body since he's shorter.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Brawl dedede would absolutely wreck smash 4 dedede. Would out camp him easily.

Man do I miss Brawl bair and Brawl waddle dees :(

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
People often bring up wavedashing and the like.
But say, both characters keep their basic properties, but fights on the same game engine, meaning both characters could do all the melee techs, or both characters had a rage mechanic or something of the like.

Would be interesting to see which characters got buffed themselves and which characters just really benefitted from other mechanics.

:4ness: benefitted primarily from new mechanics, so it'd be interesting to see him go against his older incarnations on a Smash 4 engine.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
Kind of unfair to say this, since other than Brawl, everyone would get destroyed by their previous self. Wavedashing and chain grabs would destroy anyone from Smash 4

marteen_

Smash Cadet
NNID
martinthelee
:yoshimelee: vs. :4yoshi:

Arguably two of the best Yoshi incarnations (I know zero about 64 Yoshi). Although if Melee Yoshi was the only one that had access to melee physics, I think he'd win.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Kind of unfair to say this, since other than Brawl, everyone would get destroyed by their previous self. Wavedashing and chain grabs would destroy anyone from Smash 4
You know, except for Link. And Ness. And Roy. And Mewtwo. And Mario. And Kirby. And Bowser. And Donkey Kong. And Yoshi.

:peachmelee: Vs. :4peach: would be a really good one, though.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
You know, except for Link. And Ness. And Roy. And Mewtwo. And Mario. And Kirby. And Bowser. And Donkey Kong. And Yoshi.

:peachmelee: Vs. :4peach: would be a really good one, though.
Mewtwo still has his chain grab which would beat out most of smash 4 Mewtwo's stuff, I don't really see the change from Melee to Smash 4 Link being enough to beat the use of wavedashing, N64 Kirby easily beats smash 4 Kirby, the rest IDK

ryuu seika

Smash Master
:4kirby: would destroy :kirbymelee:
SSB4 Custom Enabled Kirby would trash Melee Kirby for sure but, without customs, it becomes a lot closer. SSB4 does look to have slightly better recovery and can cancel landing lag completely under the right conditions but Melee Kirby has directional dodging to get round his vulnerable recovery, wavedashing to boost ground mobility, L-cancelling on landing lag possible at all times and, in the PAL version atleast, an arguably better dash attack. Of course, the latter is beaten out by inhale, turning it into a disadvantage but, speaking of inhale, that also varies between the games.
Melee Kirby has a longer range to the swallowing part of inhale and doesn't die first but SSB4 has an inverse wind effect to screw with recovery and a 1-2% damage on the move if it trades.
Hammerwise, neither is good but, despite SSB4's being superior in nearly every way, Melee is the one who gets use out of this move in the matchup with his extra quick aerial version and its ability to pull foes with the last couple hits.
In the end, I would say that SSB4 has the advantage centerstage or if Melee is below but Melee has a real scary edge presence as, no matter who swallowcides, Melee wins and Melee can recover. SSB4 would have to be super careful but all the tiny improvements his moves got would indeed be likely to see him coming out ontop.

But, of course, both die laughably to the beast that is N64 Kirby. N64 Kirby loses swallow mobility, Hammer, dodges and a usable dash attack but has less situational 100% landing lag removal, a swallowcide that can trade stocks with Melee, ridiculous disjoints and a completely different moveset that's more like the top tier Melee Jiggs than any other Kirby incarnation.
Melee Kirby would actually hold its own against N64 better than SSB4 would as wavedashing and the superior swallowcide would allow him some brief glimmers of hope amidst the otherwise onesided jugglefest that would define the matchup.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Mewtwo still has his chain grab which would beat out most of smash 4 Mewtwo's stuff, I don't really see the change from Melee to Smash 4 Link being enough to beat the use of wavedashing, N64 Kirby easily beats smash 4 Kirby, the rest IDK
That is assuming Mewtwo could actually grab 4 Mewtwo, and even if he could, 4 Mewtwo is almost as light as Jigglypuff, so chain grabs would have limited success. Smash 4 Link is superior to Melee Link in just about every way, shape, and form.

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
S4 :4ganondorf: would beat Brawl :ganondorf:, but Melee :ganondorfmelee: would wreck them both. PM :ganondorf: would slaughter all three easily, while Brawl- :ganondorf: would laugh maniacally before banishing the rest to the space between dimensions.

To put it another way: Brawl :ganondorf: = Yamcha, S4 :4ganondorf: = Piccolo, Melee :ganondorfmelee: = Gohan, PM :ganondorf: = Goku, and Brawl- :ganondorf: = Lord Beerus.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
That is assuming Mewtwo could actually grab 4 Mewtwo, and even if he could, 4 Mewtwo is almost as light as Jigglypuff, so chain grabs would have limited success. Smash 4 Link is superior to Melee Link in just about every way, shape, and form.
with wavedashing it is super easy to grab someone, including mewtwo, and him being light doesn't change the fact that the game with combos character would beat the game with strings.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
with wavedashing it is super easy to grab someone, including mewtwo, and him being light doesn't change the fact that the game with combos character would beat the game with strings.
I'm beginning to think you don't know much about Smash 4.

blackghost

Smash Champion
i keep seeing chain grabs being used to secure victory but smash 4 characters cant be grabbed consecutively thats a character/game mechanic. aren't chain grabs useless?

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Brawl :gw: will ruin Melee :gawmelee: and Sm4sh :4gaw: with his ridiculous bucket braking.

:pikachu64: would destroy all other forms. :pikachumelee: , :pikachu2:, and :4pikachu: would all get steamrolled.

I'm pretty sure :warioc: can beat out :4wario2: easily. His momentum and aerial gamewere much better then.

Top Bottom