• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if a knockback-based platform fighter had "wavedashing" as its own mechanic rather than an emergent property of airdodge/dash?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Like say the L trigger is for "Dash" on the ground AND the air and the R trigger is purely for shielding/dodging.

Would that provide more potential to wavedashing, or would that be mechanical bloat/too much depth?

BruceTubetheScratcher

Smash Rookie
Fraymakers kinda does that I think you can wavedash normally but wavedashing can be its own button if you assign a key to it in the options menu.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
It's been a while since I last booted it up, but I think Rushdown Revolt does this? I'll have to get back to you on that.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's been a while since I last booted it up, but I think Rushdown Revolt does this? I'll have to get back to you on that.
You mean it has wavedashing as its own button and not just a macro?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
You mean it has wavedashing as its own button and not just a macro?
Iirc yes, but they call it rushing instead of wave dashing. It uses a life bar rather than percentages though KB is still a factor. They also have a mechanic called spark that lets you cancel any action into another. I'll have to boot the game up tonight when I get off work to see what's changed since the last time I played.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Iirc yes, but they call it rushing instead of wave dashing. It uses a life bar rather than percentages though KB is still a factor. They also have a mechanic called spark that lets you cancel any action into another. I'll have to boot the game up tonight when I get off work to see what's changed since the last time I played.
That's actually a good name for making it its own action rather than tied to airdodging/dashing.

Spark seems just like another name for Roman Cancel though.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
That's actually a good name for making it its own action rather than tied to airdodging/dashing.

Spark seems just like another name for Roman Cancel though.
That is essentially what it is but they can't really call it that so they went with Spark instead.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I also want to add, more knockback-based platform fighters should have "rush" be able to cancel weak melee moves like jabs and tilts in Smash as well as certain special moves. Would add a lot of depth with a smooth learning curve from casual to competitive if anything.

Top Bottom