• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What I found during my google-ing.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I ever scence I have switched to vista have been having the worst time with lag, around 30 FPS some times as low as 10 FPS (One time it got to 5 FPS before I was kicked). I would fix this via reducing my graphics to 1.4 but I can not do that because I am using Project 64kve on vista. Anyway after doing google stuff, I found this...

http://www.endlagnow.org/eln/TakeAction_TopTips.aspx
http://lifeandcode.net/2009/05/reduce-game-network-latency-in-windows-7-or-vista/

I think I shall try some of its tips, I have not tried yet as of this post, but I hope it works out...

What do you guys think?

DMoogle

A$
Tip #1 is a bad idea. Routers add an extremely minimal amount of delay. I'd be surprised if it's more than like 2 milliseconds, but they increase some basic essential levels of security. Keep the router.

Tip #2 is OK. Most good anti-viruses (see Social Thread for more discussion on this) shouldn't be using many resources when they aren't scanning, so it won't really make that much of a difference. Definitely don't turn off any firewalls though. It's also a good idea to make sure that your anti-virus isn't scanning when you're playing, since scanning DOES use a lot of resources.

Tip #3 is definitely a good idea, but changing ISPs may be impractical.

Tips #4, 5, and 6 are all good, hopefully obvious.

Tip #7 should make the biggest difference.

Determine how you're getting lag: Do you get those same FPS drops when you're playing offline? If so, then your network connection is probably unrelated to the issue. If you don't, then it's unlikely that the problems lie with applications hogging non-bandwidth related resources.

DMoogle

A$
I'm not sure what the problem is with reducing graphics settings... in the main PJ64k window, just go to Options (click it or press alt+O), select Configure Graphics Plugin, then change the settings there. The setting that will have the largest impact on performance will be the resolution that PJ64k is run at, so change the Windowed Resolution to something lower than what it's currently set as (unless you're already running at the lowest, which is 320x240).

NeoKronos

Smash Apprentice
Guys,

I'm Aussie had a massive break from smash, not sure if ready to start again (very competitive, not as friendly as more popular games that im interested in such as minecraft), but I've learnt this stuff that's on the website.

I used to MANUALLY ctrlaltdel processes and close all the user processes, well now a days theres a fair too many and it takes alot of time and effort.

Easy way to close unused processes / virus scanner (sometimes you cant close them without ending the process) and other speed boosting capabilities of your pc, like defreaging and setting cpu usage priority and stuff. Just get GameBooster (free version, sharewere).

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

Set pj64k or mupen as the application you want to boost and whalla! :D Increases the quality of your gaming experience exponentially.

Sound like im advertising it but meh too tired, if you dont get it you're missing out lols. Anyways, back to programming a computer inside a computer game.

Also, is only been like 5 months but have you guys figured out a way to reduce lag to playable amount OVERseas?

Happy smashing over new years!

NeoKronos

Smash Apprentice
p2p

the only way to reduce your lag

o or the new Pj 1.7 with tcp client xP
So lets say you would usually get 5frames p2p (yes I know about p2p), how much would this tcp client reduce it by? A couple of frames would do wonders. Makes USWest players be able to play at 3/4 frames with Australian players.

Smash Lord
Easy way to close unused processes / virus scanner (sometimes you cant close them without ending the process) and other speed boosting capabilities of your pc, like defreaging and setting cpu usage priority and stuff. Just get GameBooster (free version, sharewere).

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

Set pj64k or mupen as the application you want to boost and whalla! :D Increases the quality of your gaming experience exponentially.

Sound like im advertising it but meh too tired, if you dont get it you're missing out lols. Anyways, back to programming a computer inside a computer game.
Can anyone else test this for me and give me a second opinion/feedback. I'm very interested in this but it looks like a pretty complicated software that does stuff all over the place.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
I just got dsl and every night i start to lag alot and my ping starts to fluctuate. It is fine the rest of the day. Does this happen to anyone else or does anyone know wat could be the problem?

NeoKronos

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone else test this for me and give me a second opinion/feedback. I'm very interested in this but it looks like a pretty complicated software that does stuff all over the place.
Yeah dude its fine, it closes processes that wont harm your computer. Doesnt change any registry settings, but just does alot of simple things like if you're on a laptop it will increase performance to highest at expense of battery. It will defrag your machine, which is a windows natural thing that you can find in accessories -> system tools. Its just all normal non harmful things in one place, and it usually gives you a few frames more for games (WoW increases like 20fps lol). For smash, it would reduce LAG but probably not DELAY (ping). It would make it run more smoothly at higher resolutions/settings.

And if you worry that it does anything bad to your pc after you click the BOOST button, then simply click it again to unBOOST and return to normal. Id say the only negative thing ive noticed (and Im using a laptop) is that it will increase the temperature because it applies more cpu usage to the games which use up all your computers power, instead of using half your power to your dekstop/itunes/msn and half to your game.

I ALSO recommend highly a fan speed and temperature mesurer (theyre all simple and free) software such as SpeedFan (which I use). Just dont change any of the OVERCLOCK settings unless you're very experienced. SpeedFan basically shows how hot your PC is in dfferent areas, like core areas or the Hard Drive. For me about 75 degrees will make my laptop shut off involuntary. So I try to keep it under 55 degrees but sitting it up on a cupcake baking tray lol, gives it space and it takes much longer to overheat. If its a really hot day then Ill get a fan and blow air near the laptop.

What can also stop your game from runnign smoothly is if your fan is clogged with dust, which mine was and I noticed it would overheat in like 2hours =( I managed to fix it and increase performance DRASTICLY by blowing hard into the fan on the side to free up that dust and **** thats trapped in there. Dust clogs the machine and it overheats real quick. If you have an air compresser then its even better to thoroughly clean it out with the nozzle. Wont damage anything, just blow it in from the outside. I also heard about using vacuum cleaners (real strong ones) on some forums and suposedly that does well too.

Well forgot what else I was going to suggest, oh this: http://infinitycc.ning.com/video/how-to-hack-your-ping-for-sexy

LITERALLY cuts your ping in half, simply due to a silly default registry setting you can change. This is the manual way. But it really helps I suggest it, really makes a difference for PING LATENCY, not lag (processor speed problems).

Hmm think thats it I hope you guys get the most out of your gaming, and I remember a couple frames can make a huge difference in smash.

TL;DR download them and run them - no harm.

NeoKronos

Smash Apprentice
I just got dsl and every night i start to lag alot and my ping starts to fluctuate. It is fine the rest of the day. Does this happen to anyone else or does anyone know wat could be the problem?
That could be other people in your house if there is any, but is often due to poor internet provider. The ISP cant handle the PEAK of so many people using their services at a time it can create ping problems.

Otherwise, if you use WiFi (wireless) it can be clouds in the sky causing interference, everytime the phone rings I used to get lagged out (and yes it was ADSL broadband, it was just because it would interupt the wifi signal). If you have WiFi then plug it in using and ethernet cord to your modem/router, cords make connections way faster than WiFi.

Facebook = LAG. :urg: Not sure about smash, but for other games it LAGS BAD when I play HoN with facebook on. Even if its on the home page or profile NOT EVEN DOING ANYTHING, it will lag. Close that ****. Uploading/downloading photos videos does alot, and NOTHING i mean NOTHING lags as much as if someone uses webcam. Holy ****, my sister used webcam I just went into router settings and denied her laptop. ****ing webcam just uses up (hogs) ALL the dam bandwidth. For cases like these (other family member s using connection) look for a bandwidth monitor. Consider using a proxy if its too bad.

Hope I helped =) Back to making one bigass castle in minecraft on aussie dedicated no1 server, gameployment. Lol, might make a captain falcon statue soon =P

Top Bottom