• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What have we come to?

cutter

Smash Champion
Link to original post: [drupal=1110]What have we come to?[/drupal]

I just read the thread in the Tournament Discussion forum that tells about a Japanese rule that forbids grabbing the ledge more than 70 times in a match.

Considering how I've talked to a few amount of people who were at CoT4 and that Planking was abound, I am really starting to question where the hell we are going as a community with Brawl.

Think about it. First, there was the huge movement to ban Meta Knight. That polarized the community and it was basically what everyone would talk about for a month or so.

After the Meta Knight ban craze died down after the SBR released their decision to not ban MK, the next big thing that people began to complain about was DDD's infinites and how they should be banned from tournaments. Again, this greatly polarized the community just like it was with MK. I think I can safely say that wanting a ban on DDD's infinite is the first thing I've seen a ban used to SPECIFICALLY AND ARTIFICALLY ENHANCE a small handful of matchups.

That brings me to Planking. Many tournaments have "banned" Planking arbritarily because you really cannot enforce a ban on it. The new 70+ grab the ledge rule seems to solve the problem on enforcement on paper, but it's still a gigantic cluster**** to actually execute in practice.

I don't even know what to fully comprehend from this. There have been 3 different things that have been clamored for bannings within a very short time period when you consider Brawl isn't even a year old in America. What as a community have we come to? Why have we been so nonchalant on wanting to ban things we don't like; be it MK, DDD infinites, or Planking?

I am really beginning to question if Brawl is worth playing if we as a community are going to want to ban a ridiculous amount of thing in the game.

I would not be surprised if another ban for something surfaces in the future.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
70 per game? People are gonna start playing badly because they'll be too busy keeping track. As for people wanting to ban stuff in the game, I think half of it is people not wanting to have a disadvantage in the game, and the other half, which may not be true, is a lot of people are just riding the bandwagon of what the more respected users are saying.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
So if your opponent just happens to knock you off the stage 70 times before the match ends you automatically loose?

I hate to throw around the word "scrub" but...there's no other way to put this.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
What can I say, Brawl is a broken game. Lots of developer oversight. What can I say, I think the community has a lot of people who don't like a challenge anymore, because Nintendo has turned them into waggle waggle touch touch scrubs.
Oh well, what to do, it's why the voice of the masses is ignored.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Meta Knight wouldn't require enforcement to ban. Why we're banning so much is because this game is already horribly uncompetetive and we're having to correct Sakurai's many, many, many mistakes as best we can.

Dedede's infinite and planking cannot be enforced, though. Besides, Dedede's infinite only works on most characters at high percents when he wouldn't need that much more damage. DK is the only match up truly hurt, and Dedede already ***** him with plain old chain grabbing.

Meta Knight is the only thing that I really think should be banned, as him being banned in itself would for the most part destroy the problem of planking.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
G&W can plank pretty effectively.

cutter

Smash Champion
As a GW main, I am definately aware that he has savage Planking.

What I was referring to though on MK wasn't that you couldn't enforce such a ban, but banning a character entirely is such an unbelievably extreme thing to do, and should only be done as an absolute last resort.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
What can I say, Brawl is a broken game. Lots of developer oversight. What can I say, I think the community has a lot of people who don't like a challenge anymore, because Nintendo has turned them into waggle waggle touch touch scrubs.
Oh well, what to do, it's why the voice of the masses is ignored.
People do need to grow up. 70 leges is dumb as *%$#. But despite the few bad match-ups, I wouldn't say the game is broken. at least in my opinion.

finalark

SNORLAX
I honestly think that all of the complaints about Meta, King D.D.D and the like could all be solved if Nintendo actually looked at and Sony and Microsoft and tried these magical thing called PATCHES that's all the rage with those young developers today.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
guyz.... your missing the point here...

Brawl was not made for competition. Thus, all these oversights that you claim Nintendo made... they're not really oversights...

Top Bottom