• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What happens after Diddy gets nerfed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
April 15th is awfully close..

In my opinion, after Diddy gets nerfed it doesn't even matter what happens to the rest of the cast - this game is going to be amazingly balanced. Finally the metagame will be able to advance without being centralized on Diddy.

Do you plan on switching characters after the patch drops and Diddy doesn't equate to free wins anymore?

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Of course it matters. A number of characters (Falco and Marth here) were nerfed or changed without regard for the larger metagame, so they still won't be viable without changes of their own. And we'll still have characters who just really struggle in 1v1 (Ike, Zelda, Samus). Diddy Kong just makes it even less appealing to use those characters, he's not THE reason they aren't used. But changing him will certainly mix up the metagame.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
After Nintendo inevitably over-nerfs this character into the ground, the community will celebrate for a month or two before latching on to the next boogeyman to blame their failures on. Perfectly balanced games don't exist, especially when the games director doesn't consider it a priority or think the game has a competitive future.

Last edited:

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
After Diddy gets nerfed....people will complain about Sheik! :D However, shortly after that people will discover untapped potential in WFT, they discover that doing pushups blocks every attack. The year goes on, WFT rises up to SSS tier, matches have gotten to the point where 1 Sun Salutation is all it takes to end a match. The 2 WFTs collide and ends in a tie. Port priority is of course determined by rock paper scissors. HYPE is real. And people play by break dancing and doing yoga, while using their minds to use the controller.

Last edited:

Maple42

Smash Apprentice
....Diddy doesn't equate to free wins. Of course, he is currently the character with the best tools, but unless your opponent literally leaves their controller on the floor, the win isn't free; tools need users to operate them, after all!

Thinking of Diddy as a "press this button to win" leads to lenience; it leads to less practice, less match-up experience, and most importantly, less moving forward of an infinitely complex metagame.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The game gets boring as **** and dies

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Presumably the game carries on as usual.

I sincerely doubt one character being nerfed will significantly alter the game one way or another.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
It's going to be more than just nerfing the top tiers and calling it a day, because Yoshi and Pikachu and maybe Captain Falcon can easily move in on that territory. Buffing characters who have very little going for them like Falco and Marth is nearly as important as nerfing the best characters to keep the power gap from getting too wide.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Lots of players view Shiek as better than Diddy Kong and she currently has about as much dominance in the competitive scene right now as Diddy Kong. Diddy Kong is definitely an easier character to master though.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Diddy will stop being braindead easy and people will actually have to LEARN how to play.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Diddy will stop being braindead easy and people will actually have to LEARN how to play.
This is such a stupid post. Diddy is all fundamentals, which means you need to know how to play. You still need to know how to space, how to punish, how to bait and condition etc. Diddy is just better because he has better options and a higher reward on hit. But it's not like he's Sheik who can just spam needles and unpunishable fairs and remove the need for fubdamentals in neutral. You still have to outplay your opponent as Diddy in neutral.

People with your mentality think they can just pick up Diddy and win but the reality is you'd get bodied against people with better fundamentals than you

Last edited:

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
This is such a stupid post. Diddy is all fundamentals, which means you need to know how to play. You still need to know how to space, how to punish, how to bait and condition etc. Diddy is just better because he has better options and a higher reward on hit. But it's not like he's Sheik who can just spam needles and unpunishable fairs and remove the need for fubdamebtals in neutral. You still have to outplay your opponent as Diddy in neutral.

People with your mentality think they can just pick up Diddy and win but the reality is you'd get bodied against people with better fundamentals than you
Is this all the Diddy boards is...?

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
After Nintendo inevitably over-nerfs this character into the ground, the community will celebrate for a month or two before latching on to the next boogeyman to blame their failures on. Perfectly balanced games don't exist, especially when the games director doesn't consider it a priority or think the game has a competitive future.
Nothing is perfect. Everything has some kind of flaw to it.

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
Honestly all the Diddy boards is people coming and whining about him. That's why lots of the Diddy mains that used to frequent these boards just talk in the Skype chat instead.
I don't really blame them for doing that, tbh. Diddy was one of my mains in Brawl and I had no trouble with him at all. He's still one of my mains, despite all the constant complaining.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I don't really blame them for doing that, tbh. Diddy was one of my mains in Brawl and I had no trouble with him at all. He's still one of my mains, despite all the constant complaining.
Diddy in Brawl didnt have hitstun.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Do you plan on switching characters after the patch drops and Diddy doesn't equate to free wins anymore?
Diddy doesn't equate to free wins, it's just a bit easier to win with him compared to the rest of the cast. Even after the patch he'll likely still be top 5, and almost certainly will still be a viable character. The bandwagoners will likely move on, but plenty of players will stick with Diddy unless he gets nerfed into the ground, as he'll still be a good tourney choice that they've already invested time into.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
many players that plays for win will simply switch to the next best with less affort and highest reward.
while those who loves diddy as a character will still main him. if I mained diddy because I love him as a character I wouldnt switch

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I swear if U Air and F Air get nerfs and you guys still complaining I will fill in the ballot till October with DIDDY BUFF requests alone to put your sorry asses back to your rightful place, the complainer's bench.

#FreeTheTopTier

#DontFingRuinMyCharacter

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I swear if U Air and F Air get nerfs and you guys still complaining I will fill in the ballot till October with DIDDY BUFF requests alone to put your sorry ***** back to your rightful place, the complainer's bench.

#FreeTheTopTier

#DontFingRuinMyCharacter
well, there are some stuff I do dislike with diddy, example his both amazing ground play AND air play and that he is heavy due eaten to many bananas! I mean just look how many he can pull out from DownB! but these are just my general dislike against him xD it isnt nerf worthy but just general dislike

but diddy is still a cool character, both as a character and as a opponent

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
g
I swear if U Air and F Air get nerfs and you guys still complaining I will fill in the ballot till October with DIDDY BUFF requests alone to put your sorry ***** back to your rightful place, the complainer's bench.

#FreeTheTopTier

#DontFingRuinMyCharacter
get over it...he'll still be top tier without those two moves being as they are now.

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
But those two moves are a big part of why he's top tier. They're straight-up leagues ahead of every other move in the game. Not that you can just nerf those two and say everything is cool now, either.

And people act as though someone will move to fill Diddy's spot, and obviously someone will as far as arranging tiers goes. But the aim is to make it so that they're never at the level Diddy is. Obviously Smash Bros is different because its air game and movement is so fundamentally different than other fighting games, but Street Fighter IV for example: It has top tiers, and characters people might call overpowered, but there are very compelling reasons to play characters other than top tier, aside from just personal preference.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
But those two moves are a big part of why he's top tier. They're straight-up leagues ahead of every other move in the game. Not that you can just nerf those two and say everything is cool now, either.

And people act as though someone will move to fill Diddy's spot, and obviously someone will as far as arranging tiers goes. But the aim is to make it so that they're never at the level Diddy is. Obviously Smash Bros is different because its air game and movement is so fundamentally different than other fighting games, but Street Fighter IV for example: It has top tiers, and characters people might call overpowered, but there are very compelling reasons to play characters other than top tier, aside from just personal preference.
well then that just means hes poorly designed if TWO MOVES make him so good. buff other moves slightly to make him more versatile and interesting.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
No, it's those moves in combination with the rest of his moveset that make him absurd. His other moves don't need to be buffed, and even if they nerfed his aerials he might still be pretty high up there. I'm saying, as I've said before, they need to nerf the top tiers in addition to buffing the lower tiers. And no, you can't just "buff everybody" as people like to suggest, because certain characters with inherent advantages will still come out on top and matchups will still be as skewed as ever.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
No, it's those moves in combination with the rest of his moveset that make him absurd. His other moves don't need to be buffed, and even if they nerfed his aerials he might still be pretty high up there. I'm saying, as I've said before, they need to nerf the top tiers in addition to buffing the lower tiers. And no, you can't just "buff everybody" as people like to suggest, because certain characters with inherent advantages will still come out on top and matchups will still be as skewed as ever.
yeah thats better.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
well then that just means hes poorly designed if TWO MOVES make him so good. buff other moves slightly to make him more versatile and interesting.
If they could do that, that'd be amazing actually! I'd like some buffs to moves as N Air, D Smash, F Tilt and Dash Attack, whilst keeping his Side B the same, and also his B Air.

He needs to still be able to combo. I won't take anything less.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The character purists will stick around trying to work through the nerfs (I don't think he'll ever be less than good), but the bandwagon Diddys, which I would estimate is about 80% of them...

Defex

Smash Cadet
NNID
toot1231
The world will have a second of harmony all fighting will be stopped and all cancer will halt. Then things return to normal except with a new OP character.

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Does no one see Luigis Power? Imo he could be better than sheik and diddy after the patch. I mean, Idk exactly how bad diddy is now, but I know sheik lets people live to 200% and now her b-air is weaker. Luigi has plenty of ways to kill and combo set ups nearly at any percent. The only thing is his recovery is pretty linear and he is a bit floaty but Idk. I feel like as the meta advances he could possibly advance as the best or at least one of the best along with Sheik and maybe pika pika

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom