• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Happened To James McCloud? - Star Fox Discussion

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Hello there.

A little while back I made a post on my profile that asked a hypothetical question about James McCloud, the father of Fox McCloud, both leaders of Star Fox. But this time, I kind of would like to reiterate it by discussing it with you guys.

As many of you know, James McCloud was presumably killed by Andross, but Nintendo has often iterated it differently.

In the original SNES game, there’s a secret black hole level where, before the level starts, General Pepper tells Fox that the black hole was created by Andross and it was where his father disappeared.

However, Star Fox 64 tells the story a little differently.

Before the events of Star Fox 64, Andross was once a respected scientist on Corneria, but due to his mad search for power, Pepper banished him to Venom. After noticing strange activity coming from Venom, Pepper sent the original Star Fox team - James McCloud, Peppy Hare and Pigma Dengar - to investigate. But as soon as they got to Venom, Pigma betrayed the team, and James and Peppy were captured by Andross. It turns out Pigma had secretly been working for Andross.

Peppy escaped, but James didn’t seem to be so lucky. He may have either been killed by Andross himself, or shot down by a Venom fleet… or by Pigma.

Then you get to Venom and face Andross. If you fight him by going down the Hard Route, after destroying his hands and head, his true form will be a giant brain with eyes. If you defeat that version of Andross, he’ll blow up his lair and Fox along with it. Suddenly, after several seconds of silence, a voice is heard saying "Don’t ever give up, my son." It's Fox's father James. After defeating Andross, there’s an escape sequence revolving around his self-destructive lair, and you see James guiding Fox out.

After they both escape, James disappears, Fox wistfully looks for him, and nobody else (except Peppy) acknowledges it.

Now, some people believe that James may still be alive, while others say that he may truly be dead and what Fox saw was a vision of his father.

So, is James McCloud truly dead?

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Who knows? But if I remember well, when you try shooting at him, he's not affected by your lasers, unlike your other allies. That might hint at some kind of vision or spectral nature.

And what's his link to the James McCloud of the F-Zero universe?

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Interesting fact.

And maybe the James McCloud from F-Zero is from a galaxy that's similar to but separate from the Lylat System? I'm not sure...

Last edited:
Top Bottom