• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What games get you really sentimental?

D

Deleted member

I'm just wondering if any people have had similar experiences as I do when it comes to games. Are there any games that you look fondly upon or sometimes feel fuzzy inside when thinking about it, whether it be one you played during your childhood or from any under circumstances?

For me, Super Mario Galaxy. Even though I did not nab the game around its original release date and only around two years ago since I only had really become a consistent Mario fan around 2011 or so (even if I had played a good amount of Mario games beforehand), I absolutely adored the game. From its almost impeccable sense of scale portrayed through an outright phenomenal orchestral score, imaginative and original level design throughout and just plain simple fun. It's one of the few games that's actually made me cry, mostly due to how beautiful the staff roll music was, and Mario exclaiming "Thank you so much for playing my game!" just did in it in for me. Really goes to show how Mario truly is one of the all-time greats.

Another one would be Melee, which I'm sure most of you guys also love. I received my GameCube for my birthday in '03, my family and I went to our cousins' apartment to celebrate, and my cousin gave me his GameCube along with a copy of Melee and Super Mario Sunshine. Even if I enjoyed Sunshine, there was always something about Melee that just hooked me, and I still play it today whenever I do get the chance. It ended up being my most played game on the system, and it was one of the few GCN games I kept to play when I ended up getting a Wii (which I no longer have, sadly). It's just a game that gave me so many great memories, fighting with friends, unlocking new fighters being mindblown by the awesome intro whenever I booted up the game. It's the very thing that got me into Nintendo, and I'll always be thankful for that.

finalark

SNORLAX
Sonic Adventure 2 is my favorite game of all time. It's got issues and hasn't aged well, but if I'm feeling down I pop it right into my DC or GCN and immediately feel like I'm eight years old again.

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
Super Mario 64 and Super Metroid in particular.
But also Mortal Kombat as a series

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Zombies ate my neighbor s with a friend

Last edited:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
Sonic Adventure 2 is my favorite game of all time. It's got issues and hasn't aged well, but if I'm feeling down I pop it right into my DC or GCN and immediately feel like I'm eight years old again.

dude for real. i remember being 12 and watching my maxed out chao die because i never let it sleep

the tears were real.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, both Blue Rescue Team and Sky. When I was younger I couldn't handle my parnter crying as he watched me disappear and float away. :laugh: I love some of the music too, and meeting Absol in the snow trail, and the Expedition, etc.

People are going to hate me for this one, but I still love Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Sinnoh) the best out of all the regions and games. I get that "fuzzy" feeling just thinking about some of the music (Twinleaf Town especially) and doing the contests. Honestly, I think Sinnoh would make an amazing remake... Arceus could be catchable with a Mega Evolution, along with Giratina. The Distortion World could be reinvented with great graphics and dynamics like it was attempted on the DS.

I used to play with Chao on SA2B... god do I love that game. I had a few Chaos Chao and bred a lot of them to have really good grades and level 99 stats. I don't know of too many people who play it any more, so RIP to all the Chao who haven't been fed since 2004.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Oh, another game that gets me sentimental is Pokemon Gen 1 and 2. Mechanics might be rough, but the single player is what makes it great for me. With G/S adding breeding and revisiting Kanto, it was such a huge expansion.

SpiritofSpeed

Smash Cadet
Spyro for PS1! Me and my sister played it obsessively when we were young, and years later it still hold up very well. One of my favorite games ever.

D

Deleted member

Sega needs to put chao raising on mobile for free money.
or make Sanic Adventure 3

Real talk though why Sega hasn't continued the Chao Garden on mobile or otherwise is kinda beyond me. It'd be very successful.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Oh, how could I forget this one?! Paper Mario 64 and TTYD make me really sentimental. I absolutely love the series up to the third and fourth entry. I'm really hoping they continue it.

or make Sanic Adventure 3

Real talk though why Sega hasn't continued the Chao Garden on mobile or otherwise is kinda beyond me. It'd be very successful.
Honestly, I don't understand it either. Even making a downloadable eShop Chao Garden game would make me so excited. They'd have my buy in an instant. I personally loved Chao. Without them, I would have hated SA2B. I feel like that game should have revolved around Chao more.

Without straying too off topic, do you think it has a chance of ever coming back?

Last edited by a moderator:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It could. Chao raising is like Triple Triad to Final Fantasy. It returned in FFXIV and on mobile (in Japan only iirc).

If that came back you never know.

Frisk.

Child of Mercy
I get really nostalgic for the Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 soundtracks. Aquatic Ambiance, Forest Interlude, Hot Head Bop, Fear Factory, Stickerbush Symphony.. honestly it's hard to find a track that I don't like or love from those games. I loved those games, they were some of the first I ever played.

I feel the same way about the early Mega Man games and EoSD. I'm very emotionally attached to the first 3 Paper Mario games, mostly TTYD and Super Paper Mario.

Last edited:

Bairbie

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dowsingmachine
3DS FC
4124-5226-4163
Pokemon RSE and ORAS make me extremely nostalgic. Ruby was one of, if not my most, played game(s) as a small child. I love the Hoenn region.

Oh, and of course SA2B. I loved the Chao garden so much, even if I didn't understand it as a kid, haha.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Melee (first NIntendo console game), any of the PS2-era Ratchet and Clank games (ESPECIALLY 1 and the multiplayer in UYA), Spyro 1-3, Sonic Advance/Adventure, Paper Mario (original and TTYD), ATV Offroad Fury 2 (first console game that wasn't handheld), Freelancer, Air Ride, Double Dash, Pokemon Gen 1-3 Pokemon (including the spin-offs, minus Pokemon The Card Game: The Video Game), KH 1&2, and DQ9 are on the top of my list.

In addition, the first Spectrobes, Chibi-Robo!, NFS: HP2, old Maplestory, and Bravely Default deserve honorable mentions. Also, I'd like to mention that my go-to game when I have to mull over something is either Elite: Dangerous or any fighting game I can get my hands on. Lastly, while I have fond memories of Wallace and Gromit: Project Zoo and Hot Wheels: World Race (the former was my sister's first non-shared PS2 game and the latter being mine) from when I was 5 in 2002, those are probably better off staying as memories.

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
Pokémon Crystal Version. This was my first Pokémon game, one of my first games in general, and my favourite Pokémon game. Found a random blue Gameboy Colour lying around, and it had Crystal in it. I've had a ton of save files before (would restart the game whenever my starter got around lvl 60 or so for some reason.) Then, I finally played the game until I got to Red. I lost my GBC that had the game in it. Didn't find it until two or three years later. The save battery is now broken, so its useless for now. Until I get a new one, at least. And now I have the Pokémon edition GBC, and I can't play it on that. GG save battery. GG.

Also, Zelda Twilight Princess. This was my first Wii game, as well as my first Zelda games. I first played it at my friend's house when I was 6, and my friends and I just goofed around with it and didn't get anything at all accomplished. Then a couple years ago, I found it on Amazon for about $9. Best $9 game I've ever played.

PrincessDoorknobs

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silent.Rhy
Brawl and melee, mostly Brawl though. I remember I got it for my birthday when I got my wii I was so happy when I got it, reason why I remember it so much is the adventure mode I guess and then finally founding out on beating Tabuu, finding sonic, Wolf. I think playing with my brother too I really miss that, also sad cause at somepoint I lost interest playing the game with him. Not because it was old or anything or that it wasn't fun, but tiring maybe, but I also then started playing more M games, like GTA and stuff. If I did have another controller for my wii u I think me and my brother would still play, he's also really busy at times but I'm glad either way I still have those memories. Reason why I play smash still today.

Newtonjar

Smash Cadet
The three games that get me feeling nostalgic are kirby air ride, kirby and the amazing mirror, and pokemon platinum. Kirby air ride was great because I would play with my cousin and we would play the city trial for hours. And for the mode that had all the vehicles we would make our own economy and stories, it was great. Kirby and the amazing mirror was a game I put so many hours into, I loved the idea of calling my friends to help find bad guys. And finally pokemon platinum which I must have replayed a good 8 times. I know that game in and out. I always have lucario and garchomp in my team, always. And this is was caused me to play the game at a competitive level.

Baegel

Smash Rookie
I have very similar memories of playing kirby air ride with my friends in my neighborhood. We would all claim spots around the city to be our "garages" and would spend hours trying to build the sickest fleet of warpstars. That was a good time man.

Advance Wars: Dual Strike is a big one for me. I got it when it came out and would take it with me on all my family road trips. I've logged over 200 hours on that thing. The characters are just so endearing to me. They're so colorful and have a diverse range of personalities. I was super excited when I heard they were making Days of Ruin, but I was disappointed that none of the characters I loved were going to be making a return. I never enjoyed Days of Ruin the way I did with Dual Strike. Days of Ruin was just too depressing for me. Sadly I returned home from college this semester and haven't been able to locate Dual Strike. It's quite the bummer. I hope I find it. I need to keep unlocking the alternate costumes.

_gold_

Smash Master
Super Mario Galaxy
Something about that game just hits the sweet spot for me

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Earthbound for sure.
I felt nostalgic for Earthbound on my first playthrough of Earthbound.

I have very similar memories of playing kirby air ride with my friends in my neighborhood. We would all claim spots around the city to be our "garages" and would spend hours trying to build the sickest fleet of warpstars. That was a good time man./quote]
My secret base was usually under the watermill or the volcano.

Last edited:

SurrealBrain

Smash Cadet
For some reason, I get all nostalgic for old games I like even if I only started playing one recently.

And while I have yet to play MOTHER 3...some of its music was so beaytiful, I actually cried my eyes out...

~Astra

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChainsawPolice
I remember playing this game yeeeears ago on the Sega MegaDrive called "Boogerman". It was a platformer in which you play as a superhero who flings boogers as his primary method of attack.

I barely remember gameplay of it, but the title itself just gives me happy childhood fuzzies when I think about it.

Last edited:

thief_of_demons

Smash Journeyman
A number of different GameCube games make me feel this way, with the GameCube being my first gaming console and all, but my number 1 sentimental game definitely has to go to Super Mario Sunshine. I spent so much time in that game cleaning up goop, I'm surprised I didn't grow up wanting to be a janitor, aha.

zaiman12345

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theawesome4567
Mother series. (EARTHBOUND ZERO, EARTHBOUND and MOTHER 3)
also PWAA sometimes.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
Mario Party 1. Me and my cousins would play it all the time, and I was a spoiled little brat then, so when Chance Time or Bowser came up and were about to steal all my coins, they'd tell me to get a snack from the kitchen so I wouldn't throw a hissy fit while watching my coins disappear. Funny how I never noticed the missing coins afterwards.
And have I mentioned how much they trolled me in that game?
During Mushroom Mix-Up: "Did you know if you jump on Toad's mushroom, he gives you 20 coins? :troll:"
Smash Bros 64 as well. They told me I couldn't pick Ness because "I couldn't control him". In yo faces, he's my main now:ness:

First three Jak & Daxter games for PS2. I still love them, although The Precursor Legacy has become too easy for me, so I don't enjoy playing it as much as before.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Bros. 3, Kirby's Adventure, Super Mario Galaxy (1&2), Majora's Mask. I can think of a million Nintendo games that give me that feeling but these are my favorites.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Conker's bad fur day. The story is actually really deep at then end. But only the end.
Also Smash Melee. I was about 7 thinking I was so good for using Fox but I did not even know what a tilt was. lol

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Paper Mario TTYD
I remember I first played the game when I was 4 years old and I loved the music and the characters. Also the game wasn't easy so I liked a challenge. Its probably one of my favorite games of all time.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
Pokemon Sapphire and Diamond were some of the first games I've ever played and I have many memories of those two. I got so nostalgic when I was playing through Omega Ruby and re-experiencing the great moments of my long lost copy of Sapphire. I also get really sentimental when I bring up New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario 64 DS. Those were the games that really got me into video games and what introduced me to the platforming genre. And of course, I can't forget about Brawl. That was basically 2010 for me.

Top Bottom