• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What game modes will it take to make this game truly ultimate to you?

Basically, just as the title says. It doesn't have to be for this game particularly, just list down what you'd do if you were tasked with bringing back old modes and coming up with new ones for an ultimate Smash Bros game.

Here's what I'd include in my Ultimate Smash Bros (not including miscellaneous **** like Options):

(NOTE: The layout used is Brawl's. Brawl's layout was art. Smash 4's layout just reeks of laziness)

• Group
  • Solo
  • Vault
  • Smash Run (Note: Mildly reworked. You can also do this in Online)

Multiplayer Modes (Group)

• VS Mode
  • 8 Player Smash
  • Special Smash (New option added; All Star Smash. Same as Project M's addition of the same name, basically that long-requested feature that lets you change characters with every stock)
  • Tourney (Brawl version; merged with Rotation and with the limit heightened to 64 characters)

Single Player Modes (Solo)
  • Classic Mode (Melee/Brawl styled, with a few elements of Smash 4)
  • Melee esque Adventure Mode
  • Stadium (featuring Target Test, Board the Platforms, Multi-Man Smash (Same as Smash 4, with the addition of 15 Minute Smash for the particularly masochistic. Also, you can choose to combat any of the previous Multi Man teams), Home Run Contest (you can choose to play it with or without a protective barrier) and Boss Battles (needs to be unlocked)
  • All Star Mode (Smash 4 style; has to be unlocked, tho)
  • Event Matches
  • Master Orders and Crazy Orders
  • Subspace Emissary sequel (AS DLC so that it doesn't heavily cut into the base game's resources/content as it did in Brawl)

Vault
  • Album
  • Challenges
  • Masterpieces
  • Replay
  • Stage Builder Deluxe (everything in both Brawl and Smash 4's Stage Builders is present)

Mostly the same as in Smash 4; however, I added a few new things of my own.
  • As mentioned above, you have the option to play Smash Run with other people online.
  • There are also a few new modes that are basically heavily altered sub-modes of Smash Run:
  • Capture the Flag: A pretty self-explanatory mode. In a large, wide open space, up to 8 players compete in teams in a humongous, expansive area to play a Smash Bros styled game of Capture the Flag. There's plenty of neat **** hidden around to make this as explosive and epic as it can be.
  • Battle Royale: Same as Capture the Flag, except there's no teams, and no flag capturing. Players descend on the battlefield, and are tasked immediately with the simple goal of being the last man standing, in the style of the battle royale genre.

Share your ideas below.

EDIT: Somehow, I forgot to put Master Orders and Crazy Orders in the list. Fixed.

Last edited:

Gouloudrouioul

Smash Rookie
Okay, I'll use the same layout as you, it'll be easier ^^ I mostly agree with every mode you'd add, but there's a few more I would very much love to be here, in order for this game to really be the ULTIMATE smash bros.

(sorry for bad english)

• Group
  • Solo
  • Vault

• VS Mode :
    - The 8 player smash is included in it. The player screens appears as the controlers are connected, so it starts with two, then three if there is another controler, then 4, etc...
    - The All star mode (where you change characters with every stock) is also included in it, along with the coin mode, the time mode, the stamina mode, and the stock mode
    - Oh, and also the battle royal matches, with the flame that gets nearer and nearer like in sudden death, but much slower according to the time you chose. And when you kill an enemy, you get health back.
  • Special Smash, with all the usual options
  • Football Smash : it's a mode using the football item, featuring only one stage, with 1 goal on the right and 1 on the left. You can only play it with two players. It's very much like the football mode in rayman legends, in which I had so much fun. And I think it would be even funnier with all of the smash cast.
  • Pokemon Battle : a mode where, before the match starts, you chose, out of three pokeballs, your pokemon (you only get to know its type). Then the match starts, and the pokemon you chose appears, helping you during all the match. It is very weak at first, but gets stronger and stronger as it takes stocks from the opponents. Would not be hard at all to include, just a few tweaks to how the pokemon works. And I think it would be soooo fun.
  • Smash Tour : a reworked version of this mode, with a better visibility, a turn based gameplay, better designed maps, and better balanced challenges... I was so disappointed when I saw what they did with this mode, because it has the potential to be very great, like a mario party in smash.
  • Tower Smash : 4 players max. The goal is to reach the top of a giant tower with a better time than your opponents. Every floor is a challenge with specifics conditions. Alternately (one player after the other) each player has to do the challenge, then continue to the next, where the time you did in the previous challenge will add up. There is way to recover time, if you do specific actions or combos, during a challenge.
    Exemple with two players :
    -first floor : player one starts. He does a time of 2:45. Player two continues. He does a time of 1:54.
    -second floor : player one starts. He does a time of 1:52. The time adds up with the previous time : 4:37. Player two continues. He does a time of 3:56. The time adds up with the previous time : 5:50. BUT he did a specific action (ex : killing the last enemy with an uptilt), that removes 20 seconds. So : 5:30.
    - And so on... Until the tenth floor.
  • Tourney

• Classic Mode : just like in melee, with the targets smash every three match, and the game where you have to run as far as possible.)
  • Melee esque Adventure Mode : yes I agree, but with ten or so version of it, randomly generated every time you play it.
  • Brawl esque Adventure Mode : an heavily scripted adventure, with 2D challenge, secrets, and a visit to every world in which the characters live.
  • Stadium
    - Target Test : unique for every character
    - Board the Platforms : same
    - The game where you have to run as far as possible
    - Home Run Contest
    - Boss Battles : every boss is the end of a version of the melee esque adventure mode.
    - A mode where you have to climb as quick as possible.
    - A mode where you chose a music in the game, and where you have to avoid obstacles that appears with the rythm of the music. It would be a great way to valorize the music of the game.
  • Event Matches, but without the option to chose difficulty. This way, developper can offer a more refine experience, and a real sense of progression.
  • Smash Run
  • Defense Smash : a tower defense in smash, with waves of miis that tries to climb on top of a hill. You lose if they reach the top. Before it start,s you have the time to place items on the ground, and to chose one item you want to start the fight with. During the fight, if you defeat 10 enemies, an item appears every 2 minutes. If you defeat 20, you get an item every minute, etc... If you do specific combos or actions a random NPC comes along to help you. You have to hold on as long as you can.
  • Master-hand challenges, but with more types of fights.
Notice the lack of All-Star and Multi-man, two modes I never saw the point of, and really just makes the challenges awful.

Vault

• Album
  • Challenges
  • Musics
  • Masterpieces
  • Replay
  • Brawl-esque stage builder, with way more elements, and way less limitation.
  • Trophy room, where you can :
    - Go to the store, as in smash 4, but there's always new trophies in store. Except it's very expensive, and three quarters of the time, some kid takes the trophy you wanted right before you do.
    - Play a space invader-like minigame to get trophies or stickers.
    - Admire your trophies.

Same as before, but with a good ranking system. And the way to chose maps other than final destination in for glory. And no lag on 4 players smash. Plz Nintendo.

And I agree with just a random scrub, a battle royal like Smash Run, where the camera only follows you, could be so much fun !

Also a section where you can download other's custom map, but waaay more organized than in smash 4, with a system of likes and comments.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Smash Run...that is all

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
Basically, just as the title says. It doesn't have to be for this game particularly, just list down what you'd do if you were tasked with bringing back old modes and coming up with new ones for an ultimate Smash Bros game.

Here's what I'd include in my Ultimate Smash Bros (not including miscellaneous **** like Options):

(NOTE: The layout used is Brawl's. Smash 4's layout just reeks of laziness)

• Group
  • Solo
  • Vault
  • Smash Run (Note: Mildly reworked. You can also do this in Online)

• VS Mode
  • 8 Player Smash
  • Special Smash (New option added; All Star Smash. Same as Project M's addition of the same name, basically that long-requested feature that lets you change characters with every stock)
  • Tourney (Brawl version; merged with Rotation and with the limit heightened to 64 characters)

• Classic Mode (Melee/Brawl styled, with a few elements of Smash 4)
  • Melee esque Adventure Mode
  • Stadium (featuring Target Test, Board the Platforms, Multi-Man Smash (Same as Smash 4, with the addition of 15 Minute Smash for the particularly masochistic. Also, you can choose to combat any of the previous Multi Man teams), Home Run Contest (you can choose to play it with or without a protective barrier) and Boss Battles (needs to be unlocked)
  • All Star Mode (Smash 4 style; has to be unlocked, tho)
  • Event Matches
  • Subspace Emissary sequel (AS DLC so that it doesn't heavily cut into the base game's resources/content as it did in Brawl)

Vault
  • Album
  • Challenges
  • Masterpieces
  • Replay
  • Stage Builder (mix between Brawl and Smash 4's)

Mostly the same as in Smash 4; however, I added a few new things of my own.
  • As mentioned above, you have the option to play Smash Run with other people online.
  • There are also a few new modes that are basically heavily altered sub-modes of Smash Run:
  • Capture the Flag: A pretty self-explanatory mode. In a large, wide open space, up to 8 players compete in teams in a humongous, expansive area to play a Smash Bros styled game of Capture the Flag. There's plenty of neat **** hidden around to make this as explosive and epic as it can be.
  • Battle Royale: Same as Capture the Flag, except there's no teams, and no flag capturing. Players descend on the battlefield, and are tasked immediately with the simple goal of being the last man standing, in the style of the battle royale genre.

Share your ideas below.
If it were possible to fit all that in I think it really would be Ultimate. Though in my mind I would include a few variations:

Organization:
(yeah smash 4's was lazy) I would categorize things a little differently, thinking a mix between Brawl and Melee (melee was CLEAN, though a bit bland)
only three things after the start screen: Group (default selection) Solo, Options

Group:
I'd keep that the same, but include online in there (and have it in solo).
I would also change tourney. In every iteration it was basically useless for any kind of actual tournament play. I would have that be an option with it's own set of menus and include a few big QOL changes for our TO friends.

Reworked Tourney: (with two options. all stages and characters are unlocked here, but no where else. this is supposed to help out the unlocking fiasco with any new tournament system.)

-Host
Like it says. you would be able to run the tournament from that particular system
menu options in there:

Rules:
create the kind of tournament. establish rules for striking, what stages would be available, if it's doubles, singles, round robin, crew, online only etc.
Bracket:
put in entrants, seeding, number of fighters.
Run:
run tournament with established settings and set a password to join the tournament (with a set start time). goes to a two selection menu after that

Bracket:
see current bracket and who is up next (this system can also push forward those who forfeit or edit any mis-run matches)
Fight:
play a match on the system.

-Join
this would allow the switch to join a running tournament. there are a few restrictions here verses the host system, as they cannot edit the tournament. They can spectate any running tournament, or (if they have the passcode) they can join an active tournament.

in spectator mode:
the person can view the bracket and thereby any running match, and if they want, bet in game cash on the matches.

if joining a match*:
the system is then dedicated to the tournament like normal, there are two options here.

Bracket:
see the bracket and who is up next (updated in real time).
Fight:
run the next match according to the established tournament rules.

*if online only then the player is dedicated to the tournament on that system (a la mario tennis aces).

Obviously that would take a ton of dedication and I highly doubt that it would ever happen or be possible on the switch...

Solo:
yeah that pretty much is what i would want in there... probably nix the adventure mode if subspace is coming in later though.

Online:
kinda what i stated above, but a reworked version of 4's. they got close, but there still needs to be some work done there.

Battle royale: I like that idea, though what if it was a battlefield in the center of a MASSIVE stage (like about 50% bigger than smash run) 8 players and they have to choose to either power up along the way or just sprint to the center, 1 life only, and the stage slowly comes in on itself (like the new sudden death) until it gets to battlefield, then there is just the flame aesthetic on the edges for 2 minutes and then it goes in again. It might be intense.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
-Offline Tourney: I was genuinely confused when this wasn't in Smash 4 after how well received it was in the past 2 entries.
-Adventure similar to Melee or Brawl: Again shocked at how something like this wasn't included.
-Target Smash: GODDAMMIT SAKURAI!! Seriously, why was this replaced with the absolute stupidest thing in smash!?: Target Blast...
-True All-Star mode like Melee/Brawl: You know, back when you had to have everyone to get it in the first place?
-An All Star Special Option: Similar to Project M, you would be able to choose different fighters per stock.
-Battle Royale Mode?: Don't know exactly how it would work... would be a cool concept tho.
-Boss Gauntlet: Similar to Brawl, except with more bosses and better pacing.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Multiplayer modes:
  • Smash (standard fight)
  • 8-player Smash (all battlefield and omegas are available, resized to fit. Also some other large stages)
  • Switch Smash (the stock-mode with different characters)
  • Special Smash (Brawl/SSB4-style)
  • Smash Run (As in 3DS, can connect to others using their own Switch consoles)
  • Tournament (Melee style)
Single Player Modes:
  • Classic mode (Melee-style where fighters are random but battle types are set. Also Melee's difficulty selection and continue methods. Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish are bonus modes)
  • Adventure mode (Melee-style, but new franchises and branching paths. Also includes a few boss fights depending on path. Bosses include the hands, Master X from SSB4, Galleom, Duon, etc)
  • All-Star mode (Melee-style, randomized. Unavailable until the full roster is unlocked.)
Stadium:
  • Events (singe and two-player events, including the two-player vs. whole roster one)
  • Home Run Contest (as in SSB4)
  • Target Smash (as in Brawl, but free DLC updates add character-specific backgrounds. Any character can do any test)
  • Multi-man modes (with the Miis as the enemy team again)
  • Boss Rush mode
  • Training mode (also allows option of recording CPU gameplay)
Vault:
  • Trophies (with loads of options from loads of games. Also free updates for more trophies)
  • Coin Launcher
  • Album (with easy image export)
  • Replays (with easy video export so you don't lose them upon update)
  • Records
  • My Music
  • Movies (character trailers)

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Some form of Adventure mode. I'm not fussed about what exactly it is, whether it's Melee style, SSE style, or some sort of Great Cave Offensive-esque thingie. I just wanna run around cool platformer levels and beat up monsters as Smash bros characters again.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Adventure mode and a KoF-style versus mode where each stock is a different character.

Khao

Smash Lord
Something pretty minor I was thinking of the other day is what to do with Random Stage Switch.

Stages now have four separate forms, default, omega, battlefield, and hazardless. But with Sm4sh system, you can't really make the game choose those forms at random.

Soooooooooo why not add the ability to define which of each stage you want to play in with the random button?

The addition is actually pretty simple. Each list in Random Stage Switch traditionally has two states. On, and Off. Just add extra options so you can set each individual stage as On (default mode), Off, Hazardless-only, Omega-only and Battlefield-only.

I mean, do something similar to this:

With Sm4sh's system, you have to decide if you want a Normal or Omega/Hazardless/Battlefield stage before pressing the random button. But this way you can set which form of each stage you specifically want to show up when you press random and can have a selection of mixed forms. The reason I'd like this is because maybe there's certain stages you enjoy a lot in its Hazardless form, but other stages that have hazards you actually enjoy, so you don't just want to turn hazards off entirely before pressing the random button. Or maybe you enjoy a stage's aesthetics and music a lot and would like to still have it available with a random press, but only as Battlefield. This pretty much allows us to always be satisfied with a random press without feeling like we have to leave perfectly nice stages out of the random selection.

Last edited:
Top Bottom