• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What exactly do I need to improve on .... Help and tips greatly appreciated...

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I just had some Matches against my friend, here they are..

First Set:
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs TF-Bowser Round 1
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs TF-Bowser Round 2
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs TF(Ganondorf) This one was kinda..iffy even though I pulled off some sick moves..

Now for the better fights:
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs TF(Lucario)
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs TF(Lucario) Eldin Bridge

The Best fights we had:
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs TF(Lucario) Lylat Round 1
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs TF(Lucario)Lylat Round 2

I think I am really getting the hang of her air game REALLY good, it's just I still feel off always working on trying to get better, please offer any ideas or anything on what you see I should work on. Many thanks.

What I really want to master is her Air game, and well the grabs and her Bair(which is very deadly) I also have trouble with the short hop..as well it's pretty high heh.

----------------------------------------
*UPDATE!!!*NEW Matches I posted through out the topic, much better fights here

SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs WWD-ZSS round 1
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs WWD-ZSS Round 2
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs WWD-ZSS Round 3

SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs WNx Fox - Pokemon Stadium
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs WNx(Lucario)
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs WNx-Samus

SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs WNx-Zelda/Sheik
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs Luna - Link
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)-ZSS vs Luna - Marth

SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs WNx-Ganondorf
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs WnX(Marth)
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs WNx-Peach
SSBB Wifi Friend Mafch (DSR)ZSS vs WNx-Pit
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS Vs WNx-Fox
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs WNx(Ike)

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
No one? Not a single person? :(

Dedu

Smash Lord
Only problem with your vids - is online lag.
Too much down bs to attack hits.
Focus more on punishing the opponent for his mindgames. Eg he's standing there. Hit him where it hurts the most.
Staying on the ground is the best position to be in this game, literally.
You managed to land a dsmash on Lucario for a while. That's good - now move from that into another move. Say up b to dsmash repeat. Punish his mistakes.
Be aggressive.
Or grab - dthrow to fair/uair/usmash

Zamus relies alot on reacting to the opponent - her attacks hurt alot but only if they're hitting the opponent. If you miss a hard hitting move, you'll have to deal with the afterlag of her moves. (Except for Uair)

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Hmm I see, well I rarely if ever Lag when I play with him...so be more agressive?
I thought being even more agressive with ZSS causes one to get punished more...
Trying to play some sort of safe game...
Anyone else?

Love Falcon

Smash Rookie
My first suggestion is to play 3 stock matches. I've never done online, so I don't know if you can change that. If you can, cut down the length of your matches by reducing stocks.

From the small bit I watched (one of the "best" matches on Lylat,) use the Down B to attack less. I haven't tried this yet, but I have a theory that charged Neutral B into Down B would make the move less punishable and more likely to hit.

I'll try to watch more once I get my assembly code to work. Probably tomorrow if I remember.

WhiteWingDemon

Smash Cadet
The last two were good matches.
+Good use of Bairs.
-A wee to many Dairs, although this might be a matter of preference.

I'll do more tomorrow when I get the chance.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Use the down-B as a retreating attack, not as an offensive attack. If you learn the timing you can get the kick out in the last few frames and as a result your opponent tends to run right into it and get punished for their punish.

Don't Dair if you can avoid it. I really only use it to momentum cancel - it's by far her second easiest move to punish, right after her throw.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I included high quality version links in the video descriptions now! be sure to check those out..for a better look if you want...

And thanks for the tips! more is also apprecieated.

Fastest

Smash Ace
My impression of the match from both sides:

huwfieaipjfds;ljfhhufphwfbsafuozfpoqiofheobfiwenvfosdnfoenfofeoonfownipniqpfiopweobqeffewqpouwopqwpoeq wpfhesahpufsdauhopcuhwopequehrhehwuquofnwepqfoiuwoqpi

I just mashed my keyboard. From the looks of those matches you guys were doing close to the same on your controllers.

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
You play way to hasty, i can imagine your GC controller sound like a machine gun (watch the first 30 seconds of the bridge of eldin fight and you will know what i mean, i was like wtf). Often you spam moves without any thoughts behind, like down smash 3 times in a row when you stunned your enemy on the first. You said you werent lagging still it really looks like you lagged like hell.
Overuse and bad use of down B, way too much down A. Sometimes a down A can be suprising or works on a Lucario player which gameplay is 90% about charging up that ball, but in most cases you either get punished by a simple sidewards roll a shielding, smash upwards whatever.
You often roll to move, thats stupid and predictable. I also saw you rolling away (?) from that ball thing on that bridge of eldin stage , you could have just shielded it or avoid it by a single roll. Repeated rolling around wont make you invincible, its the other way round. It makes you more vulnerable and the enemy would have few problems landing hits on you.

Once again you play way to hasty.

Disable your Control stick jump. Not really sure if you have done allready or not but i get the feeling you accidently jump when doing up air or up B. This also limits your airial fights, no midair jump.
Play more precise and focused dont drop right into the enemy when you got deadly %. Also know your enemy, predict his moves and know his moves. Understand his faults and punish him.
Try to shorthop more, i know ZSS shorthop is ****ed up but get a feeling/timing for it, attack with aerials on your way down, but dont use it recklessly.
Never try to downB spike someone out of stage. If you miss you are pretty much dead. The attack got too much delay and the opponent will edge hog you to death, allways. Out of stage throw out some aerial attacks and use the down B to recover, ZSS got very good aerial attacks you just wont look as badass as with the down B spike but this is much safer.
Use your armor parts at the beginning more to an advantage of yourself. Dont know about others but i often deal good damage with them or score a kill. If you throw out all 3 at once the opponent just shields and throws it all back to you. And yeah they will shield and try to get your items. Predict them they all want the armor parts =p

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Hmm wow, that's alot of well info thanks o.o..I asked for it after all..Always looking for ways to improve, people now say I play too hastey...yet they tell me to play agressively >-< I don't know which way to do, sometimes I do over use Down B a bit much and I don't know why, I guess i'm still learning to make things work...and yeah I do rely on the Dsmash alot, I try to stop them in their tracks it's just habit of doing it too many times...i'm trying to break..

This fight here, I used down B a bit too much at the start of the fight...but then it changed later on
I still have along ways to go..but hey..working on it right?
http://www.youtube.com/v/TdjN7Z4AOWs&fmt=18

Also, I threw my armor peices off at times because I also would rather have a fair fight even though they do give me an advantage at the start, i'd rather take him head on.

Garde

Smash Ace
My impression of the match from both sides:

huwfieaipjfds;ljfhhufphwfbsafuozfpoqiofheobfiwenvfosdnfoenfofeoonfownipniqpfiopweobqeffewqpouwopqwpoeq wpfhesahpufsdauhopcuhwopequehrhehwuquofnwepqfoiuwoqpi

I just mashed my keyboard. From the looks of those matches you guys were doing close to the same on your controllers.
I have to agree with Fastest here, no offense. Everything I'm going to say in this post is going to be constructive, and I hope you don't take offense to my post. I've sort of lost patience after sitting through all the matches and I've had a long day, so bear with me.

You've already claimed you experience little to no lag, but there are a bunch of things that no player should be doing in lagless matches that you do. That opponent of yours is not very good, as he should've been able to beat you every time with how you left yourself open.

You spam the same move repeatedly very frequently. This occurs with your d-smash, your d-tilt, and your jab A the most often, from what I've seen. You whiff the attack and throw it out again and again, whiffing each time, or sometimes finally landing a hit. I'm really clueless as to why you're doing this.

It seriously looks like you've skipped learning the basics and tried to learn ATs. The only problem is that ATs are pretty much gimmicks unless you have a solid foundation for how to play the game without them. I saw no shield grabbing whatsoever, I saw very little air dodging or sidestep dodging, and too many rolls that didn't go punished when they should've been. Both of you guys appear to have some basis of control for your characters, but whenever you get close to one another, it seems like you lose all sense of control and just start mashing wildly, especially if you are both grounded and just out of range of one another. That will honestly just get you killed, and it doesn't look impressive whatsoever.

How much experience do you have playing Melee? While the two games are very, very different, shield grabbing, air dodging, and sidestep dodging as defensive manuevers are largely unchanged. The only one with a major change is air dodging since you cannot direct yourself anymore. I saw NO shield grabbing whatsoever, and spammed sidestep dodges (something people should rarely do), and almost no air dodges (you can do stuff after them now, so it's a pretty useful way to avoid aerial attacks). These moves are so general and basic that they are useful regardless of what character you are playing (aside from shield grabbing with a few specific characters, where it is mostly useless).

I also noticed you rarely short hopped and often expended your midair jump extremely early, jumping incredibly high and then DIing about until you get close to your opponent. I'm completely baffled as to why your opponent let you do that at all. Zamus (and most other characters) are incredibly weak when above an opponent, and he didn't even try to take advantage of it at all.

Why do you throw out down+B so much? It's really not that safe of a move to use, and the way you throw the kick out so early is just asking for you to get hit by a charged smash or shield grabbed.

You need a lot of practice edge guarding. You're very fortunate that TF is clueless about edge hogging, because he could've taken a bunch of stocks off of you whenever you went under stage and expended a bunch of your jumps and still whiffed him. You also don't tether enough when trying to recover. You can tether from so far away and gain the invul frames and immediately ledge drop and midair jump back onto the stage with a few frames of invul and throw an attack or air dodge, or tether back on and roll/attack/jump, or drop again and do something else to mix it up. I'm surprised TF sat on the stage waiting for you to recover and didn't try to keep you off stage. I'm even more surprised he continuously got hit by your incredibly predictable down+B recovery back onto the stage, or didn't punish you when you completely missed him.

Honestly, I think you need to watch some matches of good Zamus players and see how they play. Claw is pretty good overall and a good person to learn basic Zamus play style from. Spend some time in training mode practicing against characters just to learn the correct spacing for Zamus's moves so you don't have to spam moves and whiff continuously, hoping to land attacks. There's no reason for you to be throwing out so many whiffed moves that can be easily punished. When playing against opponents, it's important to stay calm and focused. I noticed sometimes you used some rudimentary mind games to bait him into attacking with slower characters and then come in and attack while he was in lag. Your execution for those mindgames was pretty poor, because it works on much faster characters as well, but you need to learn how to use your jumps effectively (watch videos of good players in general and you'll see that many use jumps in similar spots to bait and move in/out of attack range safely).

I'm sorry if any of this came off as offensive, it wasn't my intent. Just had a long day and was getting impatient sitting through all of these matches. You've got a long ways to go, but there's nothing holding you back but yourself. Now go watch some vids of good Zamus players, practice what they do, and whoop up on your buddies.

EDIT: 1 serious typo... I said chain grabbing instead of shield grabbing... I need to get some rest.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I have to agree with Fastest here, no offense. Everything I'm going to say in this post is going to be constructive, and I hope you don't take offense to my post. I've sort of lost patience after sitting through all the matches and I've had a long day, so bear with me.

You've already claimed you experience little to no lag, but there are a bunch of things that no player should be doing in lagless matches that you do. That opponent of yours is not very good, as he should've been able to beat you every time with how you left yourself open.

You spam the same move repeatedly very frequently. This occurs with your d-smash, your d-tilt, and your jab A the most often, from what I've seen. You whiff the attack and throw it out again and again, whiffing each time, or sometimes finally landing a hit. I'm really clueless as to why you're doing this.

It seriously looks like you've skipped learning the basics and tried to learn ATs. The only problem is that ATs are pretty much gimmicks unless you have a solid foundation for how to play the game without them. I saw no shield grabbing whatsoever, I saw very little air dodging or sidestep dodging, and too many rolls that didn't go punished when they should've been. Both of you guys appear to have some basis of control for your characters, but whenever you get close to one another, it seems like you lose all sense of control and just start mashing wildly, especially if you are both grounded and just out of range of one another. That will honestly just get you killed, and it doesn't look impressive whatsoever.

How much experience do you have playing Melee? While the two games are very, very different, shield grabbing, air dodging, and sidestep dodging as defensive manuevers are largely unchanged. The only one with a major change is air dodging since you cannot direct yourself anymore. I saw NO shield grabbing whatsoever, and spammed sidestep dodges (something people should rarely do), and almost no air dodges (you can do stuff after them now, so it's a pretty useful way to avoid aerial attacks). These moves are so general and basic that they are useful regardless of what character you are playing (aside from shield grabbing with a few specific characters, where it is mostly useless).

I also noticed you rarely short hopped and often expended your midair jump extremely early, jumping incredibly high and then DIing about until you get close to your opponent. I'm completely baffled as to why your opponent let you do that at all. Zamus (and most other characters) are incredibly weak when above an opponent, and he didn't even try to take advantage of it at all.

Why do you throw out down+B so much? It's really not that safe of a move to use, and the way you throw the kick out so early is just asking for you to get hit by a charged smash or shield grabbed.

You need a lot of practice edge guarding. You're very fortunate that TF is clueless about edge hogging, because he could've taken a bunch of stocks off of you whenever you went under stage and expended a bunch of your jumps and still whiffed him. You also don't tether enough when trying to recover. You can tether from so far away and gain the invul frames and immediately ledge drop and midair jump back onto the stage with a few frames of invul and throw an attack or air dodge, or tether back on and roll/attack/jump, or drop again and do something else to mix it up. I'm surprised TF sat on the stage waiting for you to recover and didn't try to keep you off stage. I'm even more surprised he continuously got hit by your incredibly predictable down+B recovery back onto the stage, or didn't punish you when you completely missed him.

Honestly, I think you need to watch some matches of good Zamus players and see how they play. Claw is pretty good overall and a good person to learn basic Zamus play style from. Spend some time in training mode practicing against characters just to learn the correct spacing for Zamus's moves so you don't have to spam moves and whiff continuously, hoping to land attacks. There's no reason for you to be throwing out so many whiffed moves that can be easily punished. When playing against opponents, it's important to stay calm and focused. I noticed sometimes you used some rudimentary mind games to bait him into attacking with slower characters and then come in and attack while he was in lag. Your execution for those mindgames was pretty poor, because it works on much faster characters as well, but you need to learn how to use your jumps effectively (watch videos of good players in general and you'll see that many use jumps in similar spots to bait and move in/out of attack range safely).

I'm sorry if any of this came off as offensive, it wasn't my intent. Just had a long day and was getting impatient sitting through all of these matches. You've got a long ways to go, but there's nothing holding you back but yourself. Now go watch some vids of good Zamus players, practice what they do, and whoop up on your buddies.

EDIT: 1 serious typo... I said chain grabbing instead of shield grabbing... I need to get some rest.

None taken, and also I never really fought human opponents in Melee, I never really did get in the competitive scene...I do alot of sheild grabbing alot, just with him he got brawl like..3 weeks ago.

WNx however is a more formidable opponent, and we get about Equal at times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdjN7Z4AOWs
^
But I made a bunch of stupid mistakes in that match but I also still won.
I use Dsmash alot at times because I know it stops them in their tracks, but i'm trying to break the habbit of using it 3 times in a successive row, I also didn't know I was really all that spammy, I thought I was improving well I guess not, I do know the basics, it's just I fight opponents mainly who are like 20x better than me, and have way more experience in order to learn more and more. Sure I make a bunch of lame mistakes and spammy moves but it's all about learning what to do, and what not to do right?

I am also still learning much about mind games and such, so i'm not really the best player out there, I never went to any Melee tournaments or any of that so I have zero experience in that area. As for air dodges I do them when I can, as for sidestep dodges I use those alot, and I do mean alot, watch the video with WNx ignoring the missuse of her down-B at the first 30 seconds of the match. Sometimes I do forward B when I want to do UP-B but it keeps doing forward because I can't make it do that transistion quick enough and can't make myself push up, also I just started to disable my control stick jump which I always used to have on so I guess that helps me some.

And as for chain grabbing I have no Idea how that works, or if ZSS can even do those so i'm clueless on that area, and yes I have watched some of Claw's videos he's a great ZSS player.
And No I don't MASH my controler, I don't button mash...I do try to think before I attack, but it's also hard tothink when I get pummled by say my other friend who uses ganondorf and can decimate me completely EVERY single time(He's one of the Better Melee players) He spot dodges everything I do, so I always fall into it but i'm getting closer and closer to beating him.

I'm always trying to learn and improve...but I assure you I'm deffinantly NOT doing
"ooipahiasagsiae92;yh&*(R:OS;ouasdhgou;ashdo;ashd;uWERHasdhihsadjas;fasfhyaiwehjiwaheaasd"
That gets you no where =/ I guess I try too hard maybe, I want to get good and not get beaten to a bloody pulp every day...I have a hard time when I watch videos at times, i mean I watch them, and then people are like "Quit trying to use other peoples strats and use your own" So I felt kinda..odd for that, I want to make my own stuff, I want to get good I don't know why I can't seem...too...it just blows.. =/

Oh well..thanks for the thought out reply..

Garde

Smash Ace
Well, I'm in a much better mood today so I'll try to write a post that's more helpful.

It's pretty clear which move you're trying to use most of the time, but it looks like you're pushing the button repeatedly trying to get the move to come out (like you become frantic and just focus on using that move), which results in the move being used repeatedly. That's what it looks like to me, and it's a form of button mashing, though not completely random button mashing. I could be completely wrong, but I know that when I first started playing Melee competitively, I'd get frantic at times and just mash the button for a move I wanted, especially for recovering back to the stage. After a while, though, you become accustomed to the situations and you're able to keep your cool and do pretty much everything you intend to do without having to be inaccurate by spamming moves or mistiming them. Again, I'm not sure if this is the reason you use moves repeatedly, especially when they miss (I've seen you hit at long range with a d-smash and then whiff the next two several times).

Anyway, about your friends saying you shouldn't use other people's tactics and whatnot, don't listen to them. If you're just learning how to play, you have very little knowledge of what is effective and what isn't. More experienced players do, and why should you have to reinvent the wheel and form bad habits (everyone forms bad habits when building up their skill and the longer you have the habit the harder it is to fix) in the process? Watch the matches and study what the good players do, but don't just copy them, try to understand why they're doing what they do. This will help you form strategies and improvise on the spot in an intelligent manner, and it's improvising effectively that wins matches, not relying solely on other people's tactics. Still, you need a basis for what is effective to use as Zamus and using things other people have already discovered isn't cheating or cheap.

I mean, people post ATs and tactics on these boards for people to use. If someone calls you cheap for RARing, they're stupid. If someone calls you cheap for using a strategy someone else discovered, they're stupid (and probably just bitter for losing).

As for mindgames, Zamus can be played defensively pretty well. Because of this, she can study most opponent's strategies while they try to attack her. If you see them doing anything predictable, you can usually find a way to exploit it by "baiting" them to use the move, tactics, etc. and then punishing them when you didn't fall for their attack (either by sidestep dodging, shield grabbing, moving out of the way, or hitting them out of their move) or dodge/roll (in which case you follow them and go in for an attack/grab). This is pretty much a really watered down and simplified explanation of mind games, but hopefully it will give you some ideas, because Zamus is heavily dependent upon them at higher level play.

ZSS has a chain grab, but I didn't mean to say chain grab in my previous post, I meant shield grabbing. Anyway, her f-throw can chain grab people, but it's very unreliable since people can DI/dodge the next grab. I personally don't like chain grabs to begin with, so I don't use them (especially one that is unreliable).

As for shield grabbing (what I MEANT to type last night, but failed), whenever someone is approaching you from the front and you don't think they'll land behind you, it's usually a good idea to grab them from your shield after you block their attack. Certain characters can't be shield grabbed if they use the right attacks (G&W's turtle b-air is multi-hit and can finish right before he lands, allowing him to grab or spam jab A on you, preventing you from getting the chance to do anything but roll/jump). But for the most part, shield grabbing is relatively effective, and if someone smacks you before you get a shield grab off, you should consider how fast their initial attack is recovering (the one you shield and then attempt a grab) and how long it's taking you to initiate a grab. I played Link and Samus in SSB64 and Melee, so I'm used to having slow grabs and the way I compensated was beginning my grab while opponents were still airborne (this works against single hit air moves that have lag afterwards).

There's no end all solution that just makes you a good player, we all know that, but hopefully this information will help you out more than my last post.

I cannot stress enough watching matches. Watch matches of good players and watch matches of yourself. When you're watching you own matches, look at what you're doing when you get punished for something and think of something you can do instead.

Now for some info on "flaws" in your gameplay (this is in my opinion).

Throwing out the kick for down+B really early is not a good option due to the fact that it tells your opponent you're a sitting duck waiting to be attacked since you can't do anything while the attack is out (and it lasts a while). Zamus' smashes are laggy, as is her side+B, so you should use those moves only when you're 99% positive you'll land a hit. Side+B is probably the safest of her laggy moves because she can start it in the air, but it still should be used conservatively against faster characters (and smaller ones that can get into the deadzone).

Learning to Short Hop (SH) is important for Zamus. Even though her SH goes really high, she is incredibly vulnerable while above opponents and so you want to minimize the amount of time opponents can position themselves under you. Also, you want to conserve midair jumps and especially down+B whenever possible. If someone goes to attack you while you're above them, you can often jump away from harm if you have a jump left, but if you expend them very early when you take to the air, all you have left is air dodging (which is good) so people can bait your air dodges and then punish you for it afterwards.

I also noticed that against WNx you tether a lot more. That's much better than how you were playing against TF. You're not really using the ledge to its full potential yet, but you're getting better. I notice you don't really ledge drop very much (tap down or back while you're hanging to release) and then jump to perform an attack. Zamus' tether allows her to drop instantly from a ledge, giving her a small window of invincibility. Her air moves are pretty good, but you need to drop fairly low in order to hit most standing opponents before using your midair jump. You can also use down+B from the ledge (since it makes you drop by pressing down). Just some ideas for when you are getting up from the ledge and old methods start getting countered.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
I was about to post some more help but Garde handle most of everything. Everybody has problems even the best of the best can be criticized for this move or that. Just try to get better. My advice is just the basic of defense. Work on your defense and try not to get it.

She has some of the best long range tactics in the game with her long dashing shield grab and jumping side B. When doing side B, do it in a long range manner so you wont be punished unless you are sure side B is going to hit. Side B or grab up close can mean death so be careful when you do this.

Also on the expert level, remember that the mind game attacks is what really kill experts. Spamming a down smash isn't going to hit and expert but mix it up with something else will. Usually(IMO), the initial attack you do against an experts will be blocked or rolled but the second attack is what hits them. For example if you jump and do side B, most likely you opponent will dodge but if you mix it up with moves b4 or after the jumping side B, then you will score a hit.Also learn to punish as well too.

What I am trying to say is that the first attack or initial attack will be dodge sidestep. To hit the opponent, you must kill them with a good mix up and good position which is critical for ZSS.

Hope this helps.

It is hard to explain.

Mind game hits is what kills tourney people so you want a good mix game. IF you do the same attacks, you just be shield grabbed and destroyed. I experience this first hand.

Also, Nice post Garde.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Wow thanks Garde, that was a really helpful read! :) But I also have a question...as well..
How does one deal with a skilled ganon player? I have one friend who can use Ganondorf, Mario, and Wario and just about anyone and can decimate me with.
But also, his ganondorf...I have fought him so many times, I have come close to beating him..the closest i've gotten him is down to 1-2 stocks, in a 5 stock match.

His ganondorf, he takes advantage from fighting me so many times when I used ZSS.
I know what he is going to do alot, even if I throw my armor pieces at him he will either
A:Jump over them
B:Sheild them
Then he will use them against me. I have trouble catching them back...which i normally sometimes can.

If we are on a stage like Battlefield, or Lylat, he will take advantage of the ledges of course with Ganon's upsmash...kick.
I can't really keep him in air the much since he dodges out of it, but he has a distinct attack pattern, but whenever I try to counter any of his moves...he will spot dodge them infinatly...I try to get out of the way, but if I give his ganon space, he can barrage me with his freaking shoulder attack which he does regularly, it's hard to get out of it. and when I dodge behind him he turns around and smacks me with his dark elbow and KO'ing me well at 30% .

What are some good stradiges fighting ganon? Do you know any? I mean, sometimes if I stay close I can keep tripping him with the sweep kick then kick him in the air, but he ALWAYS manages to get around me, he's like..a test of skill..and I have NEVER beaten this guy, he is really good as well =/

I just wish I could figure out how to get around him more effectivly, and also I have tried to short hop, but I always get meteor'd if I try. and also trying to get the Bair attack(Which is really good to use) Is always getting me owned.

Any tips on what works well against Ganon as ZSS?

I know how to cancel some of ganons attacks like if he uses wizards foot I can stop him in his tracks with a simple Dsmash, but I seem to get in rapid Dsmash sucession, trying to rack up damage and I forget to follow up, then he dodges out and rolls and smacks the hell outta me.

Garde

Smash Ace
I can't watch videos right now, maybe in 20-30 minutes, so I'll just give you general advice for now. I'll watch the video in a bit and then post about what he does in the video and how you can react to him.

If your friend is able to use your own items against you, that means he know how to use items better than you do (right now, anyway). Ganondorf has no projectile, and so you have the advantage against him in the beginning. You don't need to expend your armor pieces on him in the beginning, and you probably shouldn't if he's smart enough to catch them. You should try camping around the items, maybe have on in hand and start firing your gun at him. Not too much, but just enough to get him moving.

In a stage without platforms, approaching him through the air is safe as long as you have an item in your hand. I often jump to the air or throw an item upwards when someone is closing in on me and have it bounce on the ground near me so I can use it as a wall to hide behind if necessary. If they get close to the bouncing item, either shoot your gun or side+B through it since the item will trade blows with any attack they might be able to hit you with. Protect your stash of armor pieces until they are gone, as they give you a very big advantage. Try and bait spot dodges by dashing at him with an item in hand, shield cancel and then throw after he begins a dodge to hit him when he's vulnerable. Always try to prevent him from getting any of your items. If he does get them, you'll have to learn how he decides to use them and just try to avoid them. The most important thing about using her items is keeping them around you as long as possible and trying to keep them moving, as they can hit the opponent as long as they're bouncing (making it hard for them to approach you).

If you don't want to deal with the items, you can throw them all off the stage, but I think it's better to learn how to use them.

ZSS does fine without items against Ganondorf since he is big and slow (her favored type of opponent), so if your opponent is just incredibly more skilled at using items, you might have to get rid of them. In multi platform stages, you should NEVER go onto the platforms yourself, unless the opponent is above you. Use up-airs as much as possible, and SHing around is KEY to keeping someone above them so you can continuously hit them. Dash attacks while on the ground are good, try and throw them out so you will hit him with the tip of your toe (at the end of the attack) so you can up-tilt immediately after. You'll be too far away for him to grab you and you'll recover to quickly for him to do anything except possibly jab (and hopefully you're up-tilt will beat that). Once you have him above the platforms, try and keep him there with up-airs repeatedly.

If he does manage to get you above the platforms, air dodge when he starts throwing out a move, sidestep, or roll. Most of his moves have startup, so as long as you are defensive and react to what he does, you should be able to avoid his attack and drop back down onto the ground from the platform.

If he dash attacks you (the shoulder) and you dodge it, you should be able to f-tilt him before he can f-smash. His f-smash is pretty slow and you should be able to reach him with it. You could potentially run away and pivot grab (during your run, tap the opposite direction you are running and press the grab button), depending on how predictable his dash attacks are. I wouldn't throw out raw grabs like that too often, but it might make him think twice about dash attacking you. Also, if he's far away and starts running at you, you can tap B to shoot out a weak stun shot and then go in for a dash attack/grab (if he dodges, the dash attack should hit him or recover fast enough for you to up-tilt, or you can charge a smash while he's dodging and release it at the end of the dodge before he can dodge again).

The only moves of his you really need to be careful about are his side+B, down+B, and up+B. Side+B and up+B are grabs, so shielding them doesn't work. Side+B comes out pretty fast and has projectile dodging frames (projectiles can go right through him during the beginning of the attack). He might up+B from his shield if you're close to him but out of normal grab reach. Down+B he might throw out at you if you dash towards him, especially if you throw out the dash attack early. Keep an eye out for the down+B and side+B when you're going to use a dash attack early, you might have to sidestep from your run instead of attacking if you see him throw the moves out to intercept you.

As for his air game, you will never, ever beat his up-air. If you get above him, you will have to attempt air dodging past him or just completely avoiding contact via jumps until you land back on the ground (down+B does not work well here). His f-air is strong once he gets you to 80-ish% but it comes out slow. You can usually SH f-air or up-air him out of the move, though you might want to shield grab him from it. If he RARs for a b-air or you're behind him, be careful of the b-air because it's fast and has good knockback. Best thing to do against this move is dodge it (via sidestep or air dodge) or shield grab him.

Don't use your smash attacks against him (except up-smash if he's on a platform above you) when he can freely move around because they are laggy and he can smash attack you if you miss. Side+B should be used to keep him away, but don't throw it out too often or he can punish you from it. You'll mainly want to use your stun gun to stop his approaches and use tilts and your dash attack because they recover fast.

Hopefully this advice will help you. I'll watch the video in a bit, but my boss is nearby and wouldn't appreciate me being on Youtube.

EDIT: I forgot to mention something about multi platform stages. Ideally, you'd up+B each time he's above you on a platform, but sometimes SH up-air is better. You really don't want Ganondorf near you too often because if he catches you in lag, you're going to be hurting. Throwing out SH up-airs from underneath platforms is relatively safe, and you can usually get two off before you land, making it dangerous for him to try to drop through. Once you get him above the stage, you can f-air, up-air or b-air. If he lands on a platform and you have time to position yourself correctly, go for the up+B spamming (but keep an eye out for when he escapes so you don't throw an extra one out that completely whiffs since he can punish you for it). Since it sounds like your opponent is much better than you in terms of skill, I'd suggest staying away from spamming up+B due to how laggy it is, but if you do see the opportunity to use it safely, you should go for it since it's easy damage.

Garde

Smash Ace
I watched the video. He's an okay Ganondorf, imho. I don't think anything he does is really extraordinary. He plays pretty straight forward and basically waits for the opponent to use an attack, then he approaches with a high priority move like down+B. Also, you can tech his side+B when he blasts you into the ground, so he doesn't get his d-tilt off for free damage.

I don't know if he's holding back just enough to beat WNx and you, or if this is the extent of his skill. If this is as good as he is, though, with some practice and learning how to bait him, you should be able to beat him pretty easily.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I watched the video. He's an okay Ganondorf, imho. I don't think anything he does is really extraordinary. He plays pretty straight forward and basically waits for the opponent to use an attack, then he approaches with a high priority move like down+B. Also, you can tech his side+B when he blasts you into the ground, so he doesn't get his d-tilt off for free damage.

I don't know if he's holding back just enough to beat WNx and you, or if this is the extent of his skill. If this is as good as he is, though, with some practice and learning how to bait him, you should be able to beat him pretty easily.
He fights me way differently than WNx, he knows WNx wants people to charge him so he approches him with caution, with me it's like nothing, i'm a punching bag, sure i'll get my hits in...but by the time I finally KO his first stock i'm like on 2 stock out of 5.

Basicly, he either waits for me to lug my armor peices at him, or throw them off, if i throw them off he immeditly charges at me as I have my back turned, useully either with a dash, a kick sometimes a bair. But mostly it's the flame choke if I charge him, I don't have any videos of me fighting him one on one on youtube, because well they are too humilating, and also they really just show how..crappy I am when I fight him, yet WNx is better than me and we fight equally as good against each other.

But yeah, after he flame chokes and kicks me, while i try to get out of the way he will then Dash attack me, right before I Land and i try to go to the other side and he dash attacks me AGAIN keeping me in the air, then he flip kicks me and sends me out of the ring, that's how it normally goes, I have little time to retreat or recover from it as I can't get away from his barrage, if I do manage to land I can dodge his incoming attack or sheild it, that's if I don't get elbowed in the face when I dodge him which happens alot of the time, then he will dodge around me as I dodge around him and then he'll hit me with his elbow then as well sending me off the stage. if I try to recover, he will spike me with his meteor hit, If i tether he will grab the ledge denying my recovery. He was a competitive melee player and I wasnt, so fighting him is like a trial :x I have yet to pass this trial the highest i've gotten on this I would say is a B- which is getting him down to 1 stock..

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4pN3WePOiU
here is a much older match, I won this one due to the FFA but you can see his attack pattern on me.
Note I fight differently somewhat now than I did in that video I was REALLY spammy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbMoVAhoyBk
Light goes out early in this fight.
But,I ended up winning against my other friend here in the end was still sloppy as you can see..
But these are abit old..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liDNf5gGPOo
Here is one where Light completely decimates the match, again FFA
We ended up in a 1on1 and you can see how he destroys me.

Also, I don't edge guard him it will always end in a ganoncide on me..because he knows if I do it will happen trying to bait him in the choke useully ends up in my death.

Garde

Smash Ace
It sounds like you can air dodge a lot of his juggle attempts, but I can't know for sure unless I see videos. I sent you a PM (twice on accident due to the site lagging), but I'll try to help you as much as possible with the information you've given me.

You can't let him dictate how the match goes. As it is right now, you completely play into his game. You're falling victim to mind games because he's better than you. He can't stall the match forever (he doesn't even have a projectile!), you just need to be patient. He knows you'll get impatient and either throw the items off, or at him, but you can't let him read you so easily. Pick up an item and harass him with gun shots and side+B's, luring him into attacking you. One of the nice things about ZSS is that her side+B is useful like a regular move, and if you have an item in your hand, it makes it dangerous for him to try to attack from head on because you can chuck it at him (and she throws very fast). I would recommend firing one or two gun shots at him to provoke him into approaching you. If he doesn't take the bait, just keep firing one or two shots at a time (SHing them is good). You also might want to consider approaching him and staying just in gunshot range and tossing the item up (or down to cause it to bounce sooner) and shooting a few times to get him moving. If he tries to attack you when the item is coming back down/bouncing he'll have to avoid it or get hit (you can still pick it up while it's bouncing, he has to be very careful about picking it up at that point because if he mistimes it he'll get hit).

Do you understand what I mean when I say he's making you play his game? You're basically afraid of him because he's better than you. He sits at the other end of the stage and lets you throw your items at him (which he shields and will then use against you), or you throw them off because of his shielding. He then attacks you because you leave yourself open while throwing the items off the stage (not a good idea). Instead, you should try and make him do what you want him to do. If you start playing clever with your items, you could probably get a free stock off of him before they vanish, especially on a flat stage like FD where items are super easy to use. As long as you let him sit there and respond to your actions, you're letting him play his camping game. As long as you have items bouncing up and down close to you (preferably right in front of you between both of you) you have an effective damaging wall protecting you from him, and that's a very useful tool.

One thing I learned while playing as Link in SSB64 and Melee is that stage control is ESSENTIAL to winning with him. As long as ZSS has items, stage control is very important to getting her a stock lead (which she might need in some of her bad matchups). Even after her items are gone, being able to control the stage is important.

While you are flying through the air you can often air dodge, even when tumbling after being struck. If he's trying to juggle you with dash attacks you can probably air dodge them, land, and f-tilt him. I haven't seen him use it against you so I can't be 100% certain, but I've never seen a Ganondorf capable of stringing them together without the victim being able to avoid a second one. You can probably air dodge his up-air as well. Air dodging is KEY to being good in this game, because it's an incredibly powerful ability that allows you to get past attacks and then perform an action. Of course, it's not the end all solution to air moves, since some people have very fast recovering moves that can be thrown out while you're vulnerable at the end of the air dodge, but it gives you an option (especially since Ganondorf's moves are slow).

I've played against pretty good Ganondorfs in Brawl, some probably better than Light. One of my friends is pretty good at mind games and we always come down to the last stock in our own matches. So I know the battle fairly well, myself, and I know that it is definitely possible to win against good Ganondorfs.

If he's edge hogging you so you can't tether, your recovery is too predictable. Most people can't edge hog me because I usually make it pretty ambiguous as to whether or not I am going to tether or just land on the stage. Save your jumps for as long as possible when you're off the stage, use DI to get yourself as close to the stage as possible and use your jumps when you have to. Leaving them available for as long as possible really helps in recovery options (since ZSS is floaty and has really good jumps, she can usually get back without having to tether anyway).

Also, you can tether from almost being in the magnifying glass when off the stage (provided you're at the right height). This means that if you're DIing properly, you can often times tether before having to use your midair jump or down+B. If he's grabbing onto the ledge that early, you should be able to expend your jumps to make it back onto the stage. If he tries to get up to prevent you from coming back on (he can't ledge drop easily because his midair jump is crappy) you can then tether since he's no longer holding on. ZSS's tether is as easy to ledge hog as the person playing her is easy to predict. Sometimes there really is nothing you can do about it, but most of the time it's entirely up to the person playing her to be tricky about recovery.

I hope this helps, though I wish I could give you a demonstration via videos (I don't have video captures capabilities) of some of the things I'm talking about.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Well i'll be battling him tonight so i'll have some matches recorded for sure.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Well I have some matches recorded so if you want them...let me know.

Garde

Smash Ace
I'm definitely interested in taking a watch. I sent you a PM about it just a short while ago, but I'm at work and won't be able to see them for probably another 7 hours.

Did any of the advice help out in the matches last night?

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I'm definitely interested in taking a watch. I sent you a PM about it just a short while ago, but I'm at work and won't be able to see them for probably another 7 hours.

Did any of the advice help out in the matches last night?
I didn't get to read it untill later..because smashboards was down, and we ended up fighting...so I got to read the info afterwards because then it came back up... >_<

I try to evade him alot, but I see times to attack..but I hesitate because he SH-Bair me if I try to approch.

Garde

Smash Ace
His SH b-air only works against opponents that are airborne (and possibly large opponents on the ground). If you use a dash attack or crouch, his b-air should completely whiff you.

Remember, if he's in range for your stun gun (and not approaching), you should usually shoot an uncharged shot at him (just tap the button for the quickest shot possible).

His approach via the air is not very good. His f-air is laggy and his b-air doesn't hit grounded opponents. His up-air needs to be thrown out super late in order to connect with a grounded opponent, and his d-air needs to be thrown out super early, meaning you can usually hit him before he can do either. His n-air is probably the only air move you should worry about if he's approaching from the air.

You should avoid approaching him from the air, because Zamus doesn't have good aerial approaches against grounded opponents, unless you want to bait his attack and air dodge through it. Even his b-air has some lag, so if you jump in and air dodge through his b-air, you have a good chance of being able to act before him (use up-tilt, f-tilt, or jab A, depending on how much lag he is in).

Man, I wish I could watch these vids right now and give you a step by step walkthrough of how to get around his defense and bait him.

Well, I was playing around against some friends last night as Ganondorf in 1v1, and his dash attack is crazy good. Best thing you can do against that move is shield grab him if he lands in front of you or dodge and attack him while he's still in lag. The dash attack is only a single hit, so you can possibly throw out an up-smash or up+B as soon as he makes contact with your shield (when it makes the blocking sound effect) and possibly catch him in one of them as he's running past you since he's so big. I'm not sure about the up-smash or up+B connecting (since I was the one playing Ganondorf), but it might be worth trying if he throws the dash attack out early while you're shielding (I'm pretty sure you'll be able to connect before he can do anything).

To basically summarize the paragraphs... Ganondorf's aerial approach is not good, try to block his grounded path to you to force him into the air. Space your stun shots near max range so he cannot attack you when you fire your gun. If he does approach you via dash attacks, shield them or sidestep dodge them since you will not beat that move (unless you can tell he's going to do it from far away and are able to side+B or shoot him with the gun before he makes it to you, but this is risky). While dodging, your best options are up-tilt, f-tilt, and jab A. While shielding, you will hopefully be able to up-smash or up+B if he throws the move out early enough (if he goes past you, I would try to get away from him ASAP via jumping or running and make him approach you again).

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CthsP-5Yk_o
Here is a video when I fought WNx's Zelda, I didn't win but it was close.

I also had the pleasure of battling a female brawler last night was quite fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B6mQMxpUoY
She beat me with Link this round but again close match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn6468LzWCI
I beat her marth here.

I was kinda jumpy and such, made a few mistakes in all 3 of the videos but hey what advice do you have to offer on these for right now?

Also I mained Link on N64 and Melee, and his my 2nd main now, he's really rusty, though I do know you gotta keep close to Link in order to negagate his projectile use such as arrows, and bombs.
I know how he works but I did keep my distance but she did make excellent use of the projectiles.

Garde

Smash Ace
This is for the first video of the two you sent me (Light Match 1). Heh... 34 paragraphs (if you include the really short 2 sentence ones, too)... It's a LONG read. Read a paragraph, then watch the bit of the match it pertains to. You may have to watch the sections more than once in order to see everything. I know I had to watch many of the sections several times while typing this up.

First off, this post is incredibly long. Keep in mind that I'm not really meaning to pick apart EVERYTHING you're doing wrong (well, yes I am because that's what you wanted :p), but I'm also letting you know a bunch of things I think are good that you're doing. I realize that no one plays perfectly or anything so while this is long and points out a lot of mistakes you made, I'm just trying to give you alternate ideas of what you could do in place of what you are already doing.

At the very beginning of the first match, you start tossing items as fast as you can. That generally doesn't work against skilled players. As you can see, he just shields the items and they sit at his feet.

What you can do instead is approach him with a single item in hand and instead of throwing it directly at him, throw it at the stage or up into the air, causing a hazard for him to deal with. They're much more useful this way because they are active for much longer and if you're sitting near it, it makes it very risky for him to attack you. Always try to prevent him from getting the items and make barriers with them so he has a hard time approaching. It's a pain in the butt to fight against, and so you don't want him using them in the same manner against you.

At around 0:17, you throw out a random grab. Don't throw out grabs unless you are 99% positive they will land. Most of the time I throw out grabs is when someone is shielding, running toward me, in the middle of a laggy attack, or stunned by my charged gun (not a normal tap shot) or my d-smash. Missing grabs sets you up to be the victim of KO attacks that shouldn't be easy to land (but they are when you're a sitting duck). Be very careful about grabbing, especially since they don't lead to a lot of damage for her.

At 0:22, you are way up in the air and fall towards Light, trying to hit him while he's on the ground. This is not a good idea, as Zamus does not have good aerial approaches against grounded opponents. He up-smashed you right out of your b-air (which is Zamus's best bet at an air to ground approach, so you chose the right move, but he just beat it out).

When you land and shield his dash attack, you did the right thing to roll, but then you dash in with a grab. You shouldn't be trying to close space against Ganondorf like that most of the time. If you are dashing at him, you should either SH and space yourself for a side+B or stun shot, dash attack, or use up-smash (I refuse to call it hyphen smashing, it's nothing new and doesn't deserve a name, imho). Running grabs are very dangerous, especially if you're running toward the opponent. Pivot grabs are useful because you can bait them into dash attacking and then avoid it and get a grab on them, but running towards them is generally not a good idea for grabbing (unless you see they're in serious lag and you can grab them before they can do anything).

Do not roll around when he is not throwing out a move. At 0:29, you roll away from him and then back into him, and he d-smashes you while you're vulnerable. Rolling towards someone/behind someone is very dangerous, even when they are using a move. You also don't want to be that close to people most of the time. When you ARE that close, you should try to get them away via any of your tilts or your jab A so you can space properly for stun shots or side+B, or get them into the air so you can f-air/b-air/up-air them. What you could've done instead there is jumped over him (once you get over him and you see he's d-smashing, you would know it's safe to d-air him and actually land the grounding hit which has the most knockback). If he hadn't thrown out the d-smash, you could've jumped back towards the middle of the stage and air dodged if he tried to use an air move against you. If you somehow managed to get behind him and below him because he full jumped or something, you could've b-aired him, but I would've settled for getting to the middle of the stage and tried to space him properly.

At 0:34, you cancel your dash with a side+B when you see him roll. That was a good call because he's too large to really avoid getting hit by the move. The follow up to dashing up-smash is good as well, but you then chase him into the air and go WAY too high. If you had dashed towards him, you could've gotten another up-smash, or you could've SH to up-air/f-air/b-air. Instead, you got above him and he nailed you with a ground move when you threw out an air move. The death that resulted was unfortunate due to the direction you down+Bed, though at that point, you were probably a goner even if you had down+Bed toward the stage.

At around 0:47, you d-smash 3 times in a row. He doesn't punish you for it, but you could've spent the time moving him over to the ledge by using stun shots or the side+B, or forcing him into the air so you can use your air moves. LOTS of rolling, though both of you guys are doing it, so no one is getting punished. If you weren't and he was, though, you could've punished him for rolling like 3 times in a row. Don't get hasty when an opponent is rolling about, though. Throwing out an attack while they're rolling could result in you missing if you don't try to time it properly, and then you just have given them the advantage. Make sure you wait until you know you'll hit them out of the roll and teach them that it's dangerous to roll around you. You should be reacting to their roll, they shouldn't be rolling to your attacks, if that makes sense.

The run up grab at 0:57 is very risky, especially since it looked like he was going for a dash attack, but it's a good thing you got it off. I would've thrown out a dash attack and tried to follow it up via an up-tilt. You jump to follow up with an up-air, but he hits you out of it because you didn't SH. If you had SHed there, you could've gotten 2 up-airs out, so even if he air dodged the first, he would've gotten nailed by the 2nd one.

When he grabs you and throws you upward at around 1:02, you did a good job air dodging there. If you had seen him jump instead of going for a grounded move, you might have wanted to air dodge earlier, but since he didn't, that was a good call on you part. Then you lure him over to the edge of the stage and get him with a pivot grab while he's in lag. That's one of the perfect uses of a grab right there.

At around 1:10, you dash attack into d-tilt. Not the best option, but it is an option. The biggest problem is that instead of following up with a f-air, you d-tilted again, ruining any options you had. You then throw out a seemingly random d-smash, which is not really a good idea. That up-smash you got him with was honestly incredibly lucky, and you actually baited him there by using your d-smash, though I wouldn't really recommend doing risky stuff like that often. Good follow up to f-air.

When he gets back on the stage, you roll into his d-smash right around 1:18. Don't roll towards him when he's throwing out an attack. You shouldn't really be rolling towards him in most cases anyway. You could've SHed toward him and waited for the first kick (the one towards you) to come out, when he starts the 2nd kick you could land and dash attack, grab, side+B, etc. There were a lot of things you could've done, but you rolled into him instead.

Good use of the stun shot at 1:21-ish. You got him to shield, you fired another one and he rolled right into your f-smash. Notice you just punished him similarly to how he punishes you? He rolled towards you and you smacked him away. I would've gone for a d-smash personally (since you can get 2 and the up+B off), but the f-smash is a safe bet there because it's fast.

You dash up-smash into his side+B. Not really too safe to throw out the up-smash when you're closing that much distance. SHing from a dash allows you to reposition yourself, and since Ganon's air attacks are slow, you could easily avoid taking damage (even from his dash attack). If you had seen him throw out the side+B, you could've jumped in his direction, passing over him and reseting you both to neutral with a nice amount of space between you (you want space against him).

Interesting use of the down+B at 1:28-ish. The stun shot before it was good, but try not to fire them so high up. The down+B got you to safety, but I think an air dodge would've been better as he'd have to land with the lag of his f-air, you could've side+Bed him or grabbed, or tilted, or even d-smashed him.

Dashing at Ganon while he's far away and standing still (basically free to do anything he wants) is pretty dangerous, since he can use the side+B and down+B to intercept you, as he did at 1:32. When he's trying to close the distance on you like that, be very careful. It's not always a good idea to go offensive against an opponent. If you had waiting half a second to see what he was going to do, you could've reacted by jumping, shielding, dodging, etc. But you dashed right after he started the down+B, pretty much guaranteeing you'd be hit by it.

Again, you start rolling about like crazy when he throws out the f-tilt. If he had d-smashed instead, you'd have gotten completely wailed on because of it. If you had shielded his f-tilt, you would've been able to shield grab him right as it connected. You end up rolling about a bit more without getting hit and finally grab him (but use f-throw instead of d-throw!). When you get grabs, the most useful throw you have is d-throw because it pops the opponent up and in front of you (good range to f-air a lot of the time). It generally places them in a spot they don't want to be against Zamus, so using d-throw is usually good. Nice follow up to dash up-smash, though.

When you're floating in the air, you throw out two aerials and then you jump back into the air. You go really high and then as you're coming down, you DI towards him and start to use a move when he is in a very dangerous spot for you. He's too close for you to throw out any move safely, and he uses his high priority dash attack to completely eat through whatever you were trying to do. Nice air dodge when he tries to f-air you.

The down+B at 1:50 is incredibly risky. DO NOT use it like that. If he gets better at edge hogging/guarding, he could pretty much wait for you to finish that move and as you're trying to get back, nail you with an attack like his up-air psuedo spike or drop and grab back on to prevent you from tethering back. You're lucky he did neither and chose to do a normal get up animation from the ledge.

I would've up-tilted instead of up-smashed at around 1:57 and gone for an f-air or b-air afterwards. The up-smash sent him way too far away without any potential to KO, and then you get nailed by his d-air as you try to get close to him for an air move (he's already recovered so he use any move he wants and that move has really high priority even against air moves that hit upward).

Lots of rolling by both of you after you come back. No real point to rolling when you are invincible already. What you should've done is tried to follow his rolls and then attack him when he's vulnerable. Instead you stopped following and he down+Bed you. I hate it when you end up facing the wrong direction for a d-smash/d-tilt. It's something unfortunate that just happens, obviously you meant to use the attack facing the right direction (which would've resulted in a combo).

You predicted he'd attack while he was standing far away and sidestep dodged super early at around 2:10. Before you can do anything, he dash attacks you and then d-smashes while you throw out an air move in the wrong direction right as he is letting out his d-smash. I would've tried to jump away there or air dodge. Either probably would've worked, though jumping away would've been safer and you could've tried to go for a side+B when falling to catch him in the lag of the d-smash. Not sure what happened when you got hit by the other d-smash, but notice how he was dashing at you and then stopped? He was expecting you to sidestep dodge so he waited, and then threw out a d-smash at you.

When you down+B at around 2:23, he sidesteps and nails you with an f-smash because the landing lag on that move is pretty bad. Don't use down+B too much, ESPECIALLY against grounded opponents that aren't doing anything. It's one thing if you try to catch them while they're in lag, but if they're sitting there, using moves that leave you open afterwards like that one is a really, really bad idea. You'll get punished every time if you whiff that close.

Notice at 2:31 he throws an attack and you take a while to respond? He knows you'll try to attack him with your invincibility, so he side steps and then grabs you. Instead of going for the first possible opportunity to attack, sometimes it's better to wait just a split second to screw up their timing. He's not even dodging on reaction anymore, he's just expecting you to attack when given the chance and he's able to use it to his advantage. Instead of throwing out a grab there, you could've jab A'ed and caught him out of his dodge. Jabbing is a good way to catch dodgers because it's a multi hit attack that you can delay and it comes out really fast with little lag. Throwing out more jabs when he's close is a good way to make him less likely to dodge.

When d-throws you at around 2:32, you try to attack him, which lets him hit you with an f-smash, which is a ton of damage at that low % (and if you were higher, he might've KOed you). Instead of going for attacks when he's just put you in a bad position, you should try to run away (or jump away, in this situation) to avoid taking unnecessary damage and try to set yourself up so he has trouble approaching you again. Notice how you hit him with your down+B? Do you know what he was doing that allowed you to land it? You threw the kick out while he was charging a smash, and that's what let you land the attack. If you throw the attack out while they're in lag and can't avoid it, it's powerful, but using it when the opponent can avoid it (a few paragraphs up), you'll get punished. It can be hard to discern when it's safe to use and when it isn't, but I usually try to err on the safe side and not throw it out unless I'm 99% sure it'll hit.

When he comes back at 2:40, you use the stun shot properly to limit his approach, but when he rolls toward you, you don't wait for him to get to the vulnerable part of the roll. The end of each character's roll is usually when they can be hit, and you threw out your f-smash too early. While some people charge attacks because it does more damage and has more knockback, I am a fan of using moves at the last moment possible. You might not KO as quickly or build up damage quite as fast, but it allows you manueverability. It allows you to react to things you wouldn't be able to react to (like how he got nailed by your down+B while charging the f-smash).

Ahhhhh! So much rolling (I can't even give a specific time because there is so much of it)! I would rather run and SH to cancel the roll (since you could pivot jump for a stun shot to cover your retreat, or side+B). Of course, you have a greater chance of tripping by running all over the place, but the chance of you being left vulnerable is actually less that way than if you were rolling around.

Notice he stops rolling and starts trying to hit you? At 2:52 he lands an f-tilt on you because he knows that he can't do anything while rolling. Instead he waits for you to leave an opening and smack you from it. And try to stop grabbing when the opponent is fully mobile since you almost always get punished for it.

At 3:05, you use the down+B properly to intercept his air approach. This doesn't work against faster characters, but since Ganon's air moves are slow, you can get away with it from him. I would've tried to back up and side+B as he lands, personally.

At 3:10, you let go of your shield right as he starts his f-smash. Shielding has lag on it once you release the shield, so you're vulnerable for a short time. Try not to let down your shield carelessly like that. If an opponent is nearby like that, sometimes it's best to sit there shielding until they make a move. Obviously, you don't want to sit there until you shield breaks, but often times people aren't so patient and they'll try to grab you or attack or something. Once you see their action, you can react accordingly (if they're dashing toward you in that close proximity, it is quite safe to roll toward them as they can no longer dash dance to get you, though they might be able to SH and attack you, depends on the character, most will probably go for a dash attack/up-smash or grab, though). Also, using the ledge attack isn't always the best idea. Notice that he was out of reach of your attack, so you were sort of left there and forced to shield. Try not to throw out that attack unless they're in range to get hit and not shielding. Also, at 99% and below you have the fast attack animation, and at 100+%, you struggle to get up, so your attack comes out slower (and you can actually get hit out of it by some people).

When you come back, you try to push the offensive against him, but as you watch the video along with my commentary, you'll notice that he's expecting you to do that, so he avoids you whenever you get in range to attack (since he knows you like to attack whenever you're capable). Basically, if you had baited him into rolling (since he expects you to attack), you could've hit him out of it. But instead, you did exactly what he expected you to do. By making yourself hard to predict (not always going for the attack), it makes it a lot more difficult to roll and dodge without getting punished for it.

When you dash attack right around 3:20, you d-tilt. Most of the time, you'll want to up-tilt after a dash attack when the opponent is at low % because it does the most damage and knocks them into a position where you can use any of your 3 good aerials (up/b/f) depending on how they DI. Also, you d-smash when he's out of range again. That move has okay reach, but it's definitely punishable if you miss, as he does with his side+B in between your d-smashes. Also, his side+B to d-tilt doesn't actually combo until around 70% or so (and even then, you can tech it). If you try to attack while getting up, you'll hit him out of it and avoid taking damage from his d-tilt kick.

Once he gets you in the air, he gets some combos on you because you throw out not one, but TWO down+Bs (with the kick, the laggy part) and whiff both. That completely leaves you open to attacks he shouldn't have been able to land on you. Also notice he predicted you'd down+B when trying to get back onto the stage and had an f-air already coming out so you couldn't kick him. If you had gone for a tether or air dodge, you'd have been able to make it back and continue fighting him. Fast falling to avoid attacks is definitely a valid tactic when going against people who are trying to edge guard you above the stage (like how you lost this last stock). Can't really FF during a down+B though, and I guess this sort of proves my point... Down+B is very punishable, and a lot of his big damage and KOs came from you either rolling or using down+B.

But yeah, as you saw from my match with Light tonight (and I didn't even get to use my items because you were SDing and they disappeared :(), he is definitely beatable. Hopefully after reading through this and watching the match closely, you'll begin to see some of the stuff on your own, and you might even catch things that I have missed or come up with effective strategies I don't even know about! I'm definitely not the definitive master of ZSS by any stretch of the imagination, so you don't have to take everything I say like it's the word of god. But hopefully you'll see my reasoning behind a lot of my suggestions to what you can do to play a bit more safely. And remember, no one is perfect, so while it might be easy to see mistakes in a video, it's a lot harder to predict things or read opponents properly in a real match. Still, after watching the video and reading my commentary, I'm sure this will help you begin to see attack patterns and learn how to bait more effectively.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
That really is very helpful and a great read, I tried it against a cpu just to test some of the stuff out, and i'm able to avoid the cpu 95% of the time, even though level 9 sucks with ganon but no one is on so it was my only option to test it out. XD

Garde

Smash Ace
3 or 4 Stock matches are the answer, Shadow. None will ever go over 10 minutes (unless you get a huge stage with someone trying to stall the match, but that usually doesn't happen in casuals).

I personally like 4 stock the most, as I think 3 stock is too short to really make a comeback.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
3 or 4 Stock matches are the answer, Shadow. None will ever go over 10 minutes (unless you get a huge stage with someone trying to stall the match, but that usually doesn't happen in casuals).

I personally like 4 stock the most, as I think 3 stock is too short to really make a comeback.
True, 5 stocks last long only if the other person takes forever to get smashed out :p

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Learn to DI. If Bowser is using his flame breath, DI up and away and find another route to him. If he's using flame breath, and has fewer stocks than you do, just wait. This is invaluable, and in a perfect world, it would be the first thing people learn about Smash. All of the time you spend practicing Smash will be wasted if you don't learn to DI properly, so learn that, and then develop your understanding of other strategies.

Speaking of other strategies, if you find that it is in your best interest to retreat, cover your retreat. This can mean using fairs, bairs, or Plasma whips as you jump away, so as to deter your opponent from following. I realize that the use of the bair threatens to reduce the efficacy of one of your best kill moves, but that kill move is useless if you're going to get caught from behind while you're trying to escape.

Also, you should take some time to learn what moves are good and when. Try to avoid wasting your Fsmash at low percents. It doesn't have great knockback, and it leaves you rather immobile. However, if your opponent is at 140%, feel free to dsmash>dsmash>fsmash away. Take note of this logic, and apply it to your considerations of each move's usefulness. Use that knowledge, then, to inform the way you actually play.

I hope this all helps.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I'm lazy so I'm not going to give you a whole lecture like the others, but you need to control your spacing, don't just rush in to your opponent, and learn to combo better. You can, however, be aggressive and still do well. For this you would have to work on pressuring your opponent alot more.

Top Bottom