• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What ever happened to Geno?

Dekuknight950

Smash Cadet
Does anybody know the real reason why Geno didn't have any inclusion in Brawl whatsoever? I mean, he was on Sakurai's List of characters, and he was even tied with Diddy and Ike. Can anybody help me figure it out?

Dekuknight950

Smash Cadet
I don't think the tread is up anymore, but it was a list of characters voted in Japan of who they wanted in Brawl having King Dedede, Ike, Diddy, and Geno recieve the most votes. I'll try to find unless someone else knows where it is.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
Sakurais list meant nothing

he made the decesion on the roster before the first trailer

antimatter

Smash Lord
he wanted to see who was wanted to be in brawl period. he actually said in an interview that people just want to see their favorite characters in a game, not necessarily playable. and his third party policy, despite saying he considered geno first party, was that companies had to come to him for playable characters.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
A minor character. Not popular, most people don't know him. 3rd party.
This sums it up pretty well.

Every non-Mario character from SMRPG is property of Square Enix. Notice how Mallow, Geno, Exor, Smithy and all of them have never appeared in any subsequent games? Because Nintendo doesn't own the rights and would have to negotiate and/or pay for those rights.

Feasibility always comes before fan service.

antimatter

Smash Lord
This sums it up pretty well.

Every non-Mario character from SMRPG is property of Square Enix. Notice how Mallow, Geno, Exor, Smithy and all of them have never appeared in any subsequent games? Because Nintendo doesn't own the rights and would have to negotiate and/or pay for those rights.

Feasibility always comes before fan service.
*cough* Superstar Saga *cough*

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
At the GDC, Sakurai mentioned that some characters didn't make it because of rights issues. Assumingly, one of these was Geno.

sprittles

Smash Apprentice
you *******, sonic was added in WAY after most of the trailers, Geno WAS in it, until Sqaure got in a thing and took him off, he was in the place of the random button.

antimatter

Smash Lord
you *******, sonic was added in WAY after most of the trailers, Geno WAS in it, until Sqaure got in a thing and took him off, he was in the place of the random button.
1. not needed.
2. even i know that was just a rumor.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
THAT WAS A JOKE MADE UP BY THAT BIG SUPER MARIO RPG FAN SITE.

If you read the whole article it said that it's final smash was a landmaster!

Dekuknight950

Smash Cadet
This just came to my attention: There is a Youtube subscriber by the name of bdcool187. He has the ripped soundtrack of every song in Brawl before it came out in the US. He also found in the coding a list of so called "Lost Tracks" in which one included a song named "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms (Super Mario RPG). This is my speculation that Geno was indeed coded into Brawl at one point in its production. If i am wrong, please correct me if this track is indeed fake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwkf77kw-CU&feature=PlayList&p=9ACE0C15D17EE35F&index=1

Sorry for double post.

yoda55

Smash Cadet
I was hearing geno was gona be in brawl but due to rights with square enix he was removed from brawl in production.

Rauzaruke

Smash Apprentice
Is there any real word on legal issues between Square Enix and Nintendo. If yes, when did these transactions take place and why?
Why can't you accept the fact that Geno is not a widely known character and appeared in spinoff games (At least I think he appeared in two)? Heck, I didn't even know he existed until people here jumped on the bandwagon appeal for him to be playable.

Smash-Master9009

Smash Journeyman
he is to be released as one of the four playable characters coming may 13th to the wii want more portion of wii ware in shop channel, the four characters include geno, megaman, and the other two arent actually characters they are costume changes for other characters, lucario and ike, will have another costume as mewtwo and roy, geno will have his own stage, trophy, and sticker same goes for megaman.

Dekuknight950

Smash Cadet
Sakurais list meant nothing

he made the decesion on the roster before the first trailer
The point is, Geno was widely popular among fans, and Sakurai knew this and he didn't give a crap. But the problem is that even though Sonic was put into the game late before everyone else was, what was the deal with Geno, what happened between Square and Nintendo?

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
he is to be released as one of the four playable characters coming may 13th to the wii want more portion of wii ware in shop channel, the four characters include geno, megaman, and the other two arent actually characters they are costume changes for other characters, lucario and ike, will have another costume as mewtwo and roy, geno will have his own stage, trophy, and sticker same goes for megaman.
I'm fairly certain this was just an April Fools joke...

What really kills be about Geno not even getting a mention...is that even SUPER MARIO RPG, the game he was IN gets a mention in the Chronicles section...

And to answer Dekuknight's question to the best of my abilitity, I think it had something to do with Final Fantasy VII and how it was GOING to be released for the N64 but Square took back what they said and made it for Sony instead...at least that's what I've heard...

Smash-Master9009

Smash Journeyman
I'm fairly certain this was just an April Fools joke...

What really kills be about Geno not even getting a mention...is that even SUPER MARIO RPG, the game he was IN gets a mention in the Chronicles section...

it was not an april fools joke, it just so happens the information wasnt released until the end of march, it was actually released around mid march, but didnt spread until the end which then people over exagerated and assumed, even though it was not even on april 1st that it was an april fools joke.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
*cough* Superstar Saga *cough*
That really doesn't count. He wasn't even a major part of the storyline. He just told you how to play a mini-game. :/

Also, the game's credits clearly mentions that Geno is a copyrighted character. Proof is at the bottom of the following page.
http://themushroomkingdom.net/m&lss_credits.shtml

The point still stands that those characters are Square-owned and getting Geno into Brawl depends solely on Square's willingness to allow it and Nintendo/HAL's willingness to compensate them for it.

Snake made it in as a favor to Kojima. Sonic made it in because of high demand and Sega's seemingly strong and healthy relationship with Nintendo. Square and Nintendo still have a somewhat shaky relationship dating back to the release of FF7.

antimatter

Smash Lord
ducky: ah, but you forget that Geno's creator works at Alphadream, who made Superstar Saga, which means it would be a little easier than you describe.

Dekuknight950

Smash Cadet
it was not an april fools joke, it just so happens the information wasnt released until the end of march, it was actually released around mid march, but didnt spread until the end which then people over exagerated and assumed, even though it was not even on april 1st that it was an april fools joke.
So has it been officially confirmed that this DLC will come to pass; if so, provide a link to the site that gave this information. I wish to believe you because as you said it came out in mid-March and logically couldn't be an April Fool's Joke. Does anyone else know if this DLC rumor is true or false?

G-X

Smash Apprentice
It sounds feasible enough (that might be why Geno doesn't already have a trophy).

However, logic dictates that
A. Capcom likes being a ****,
B. Square hates Nintendo,
therefore Mega Man and Geno are unlikely.

Dekuknight950

Smash Cadet
It sounds feasible enough (that might be why Geno doesn't already have a trophy).

However, logic dictates that
A. Capcom likes being a ****,
B. Square hates Nintendo,
therefore Mega Man and Geno are unlikely.
Nintendo and Capcom never met about Megaman being in Brawl. A representative from Capcom said so himself in an interview a few months back.

Top Bottom