• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you wish was available when you first played Project M?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm not talking about in-game content, but rather community-given content.

Tournament videos, guides, friendly videos, crew battles, instructional videos, combo videos, character guides, community-based tier lists or guides for matchups or stages, etc., etc.

Jandlebars

Still fallin'!
It would have been nice to have more documentation on character's inner workings and changes. The character boards didn't have all that much other than "is this move the same as melee?" and questions about how to do easter eggs.
We do have the change-log thread floating around somewhere, but I'm assuming you're suggesting something a little more comprehensive, which would indeed be nice.

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
It would be nice to see demostration videos or even a page with highlights of all the changes done to the characters (Not from previous PM versions but from their previous iteration).

Pretty much like the outdated one of Bowser that's on the project M youtube channel or also a simple site with screenshots of the new moves/moves properties. So you can post it around when promoting the game.

And also it would be nice to spread the highlights/content around in other languages; I'll write and translate some of the info. (to spanish) for an upcoming event where I want to promote PM.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Nothing really. I really couldn't complain about there not being guides because the character analyses on the website that people always seem to overlook for whatever reason tell a lot of the changes for the most part. Asking questions in character forums and word of mouth solved everything else. Then I watched starting watching streams and see how the new characters were meant to be played more or less.

:phone:

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
I think better collaboration on how to tackle the various matchups for each character as well as how to play that character in general. I stress the word collaboration because this could speed up the development of the metagame overall by combining the various effective tactics that individuals have used or seen in videos into a written primer/document so people could recognize what has worked well for others.

What I mean is something like a breakdown of several categories (approaching, combos, stages, preferred KO moves, off-stage game) for a given character and each of their matchups. I think a good understanding of spacing and gimping are the most important fundamental concepts. (I say gimping because a good understanding of it completely transforms a lot of matchups) Basically, I'm interesting in bringing players who aren't as good "up to speed" and the combined knowledge of the players who are good.

SunJester

Smash Ace
I think guides in the long run would be great for more casual players. It'd be cool if the PMBR could add a "tutorial" section where you could watch a short video explaining the basics of how each character works, and situations where you could use their moves, and how they fit in to the overall character design.

Jandlebars

Still fallin'!
I think guides in the long run would be great for more casual players. It'd be cool if the PMBR could add a "tutorial" section where you could watch a short video explaining the basics of how each character works, and situations where you could use their moves, and how they fit in to the overall character design.
I think that, while it's a great idea, something like that should be created either after or very near to when the mod's near completion, since the changes from then onwards would just be specific buffs or nerfs to various characters. At this point there's still potential for big changes, so it can cause more confusion down the line, especially if they don't visit here often.

But I think that making a few videos explaining how things generally work in P:M (in a mechanical sense or otherwise) would be awesome.

SunJester

Smash Ace
I think that, while it's a great idea, something like that should be created either after or very near to when the mod's near completion, since the changes from then onwards would just be specific buffs or nerfs to various characters. At this point there's still potential for big changes, so it can cause more confusion down the line, especially if they don't visit here often.

But I think that making a few videos explaining how things generally work in P:M (in a mechanical sense or otherwise) would be awesome.
Oh, absolutely. There's no rush to get things done but its something that I think would fit in fairly well with the more competitive atmosphere of Project Melee. I've noticed when showing more casual players the speed at which this game can be played tends to make them more interested in trying to play at that level.

Its something that should be done before the "full release" and I think it would benefit a lot of people who are trying to get into the Smash scene but don't know where to start.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
I really wish the PM team would have made instructional videos for the new advanced techniques, or if it's a brawl player, how to use these already brawl present tech. in a melee enviroment. I'm talking like demonstration videos for wavebouncing (still don't know what this is), DACUS, RAR (this is pretty easy though) and other stuff i don't know about. It would also be incredibly helpful to remake the equvilant of wak's advanced tech. series for melee, this could help all of the new brawl players alot, and they could easily get into melee's enviroment.

Although i'd like demo videos for all characters, the fact that it's still a demo is pretty much why they really haven't bothered to make any instuctional vids for each character (or well that's what i think anyways) considering how long each demo takes to release, and how many changes they have to make, the fact that they should at least have some kind of long-term input from the general public, and analizing tournament results as well, well i would not waste my time making long detailed videos, only to have change the character for the next demo. Plus if you have to many offical videos made by the team about one character, new players could get confused as to what they are looking for or what are they playing.

The other thing would have been combo vids, like lets say the person in charge of thier character (metroid= ike, reflex= wario, Vanguard= lucario etc.) make a starting combo vid when the new demo comes out. It would be cool if they can make it and release it at least 3 days after a new demo is released, plus considering all of the hype, and the amount of people downloading the new demo or looking at the new content, the combo vids released would surely get tons of views, and any new person would be grateful, especially if it's a new character or an already released character that was re-done, because he/she was janky/boring/spamy and the combo vid shows new things about the character and high-lighting those changes. And in my opinion it would look very professional, kinda like how a big company showcases thier product.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
Well, in regards to combo/tournament videos, half the cast is just beginning a wider scale of development (you'll notice wolf is a huge favourite due to the easy transition for melee players to explore new things while still maintaining their relevant skillset) and until there are simply more players contributing to the metagame, we're left with few players who are good because of their unique styles, and not because of an established archetype of gameplay. I think the more tournaments with streams and recording devices we get going as a community, these things will simply come into the scene.

The game is a new stage in the knockaround genre's engine, and with new characters from a new game with new tech, there is no established standard for things yet. melee characters have strong melee players who have a tonne of ingrained habits and routines, and brawl players are faced with a huge tech gap getting into PM. as more and more of them start exploring the cast at a higher level we'll see these "answers" develop, but it takes a lot of time to come up with a new style with a new character, and a lot of opponents to test a style's strengths and weaknesses.

TLDR version: as a community it's our job to hype the game and get as many people playing it as we can, the bigger the community, the faster these "missing pieces" will come together. as the next stage of smash brothers evolution, the metagame will evolve organically, but we can facilitate that growth by getting more and more people to try more and more new things.

Also, I'm disappointed that people are expecting combo videos to make them better players, if you can't watch what other people are doing in order to gain new ideas, what makes you think you can make use of a combo you saw in a tutorial. play more people, try new things, develop a personal style, and some day you'll be the person the little noobins are asking for answers that don't exist. let's not confuse this discussion for a list of things you want other people to do for you, but use it to expose what we can all do to contribute.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
The thing that I wanted most? A community!
When the Brawl+ team converted to the Project M team we were all super super secretive. There wasn't even really a public announcement of Project M at first. Back then Project M was basically a good version of Brawl+. Hell, a lot of characters at the time were more or less their Brawl+ versions with just the beginnings of being Melee-ified. It was something that I wasn't really allowed to show off except to some very close friends who I could trust to not blab about things on the internet. The team was dead set on not repeating the mistakes of Brawl+ (which we all knew from first hand experience being largely made up from the Brawl+ crew.)
We had ghetto forums, and I think it was a while before we even started using SVN to streamline everything. Those were the days
not really...
For me personally I got really burned out on Project M and Smash in general about twoish years into things. Did nothing but lurk around and post very rarely. I think if Project M had the scene it has now I wouldn't have burned myself out on things. Seeing so many people passionately play the game is enough on its own to get me going.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Id love to knew what the developers had im mind while designing the character
Like Snake probably was designed for beeing a little bit campy and throw people in mines, kill with C4
Ivy dtilt was designed to Set up Solar beam

Some things are written on the character Pages, but not much

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Id love to knew what the developers had im mind while designing the character
Like Snake probably was designed for beeing a little bit campy and throw people in mines, kill with C4
Ivy dtilt was designed to Set up Solar beam

Some things are written on the character Pages, but not much
This I agree with! It would help develop the metagame if the dev's told us how they expected various things to be used.

Top Bottom