• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you typically do after respawn?

FoxwolfJackson

Smash Rookie
Now, in my experience on For Glory (yeah, I know, not the best source), most people try to use that invulnerability to get a split-second upper hand. Oftentimes, I like taking advantage of it, because people tend to do reckless things, run out of invincibility, and it feels almost like a free hit.

As for me, I typically fall off the platform and go to the opposite side of the stage and stand there and wait for it to run out, as a courtesy to an excessive majority my opponents (unless they're really salty, then I try to nail them with a no-risk sing/rest right as soon as I get out). I just feel that standing there and waiting is a gesture of wanting to play fair and showing there's no salt there for whatever KO I had.

I was wondering, what do you guys do when you get KO'd? Stand around and wait for it to wear off, charge some special attack (Mewtwo, Samus, DK), or a three-second bum rush to try to catch the opponent off-guard... or something else entirely?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I tend to go straight for the fray with the mercy invincibility, which seldom pans out the way I'd hoped.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Most people tend to go to either sides of the stages. I usually try to trap them and take advantage of it. Simply walking up to people can get you the best reads sometimes xD

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Since we're on For Glory, I trap them on the other side of the stage and wait for the roll that I know is going to come. In a serious match, I try to get in a few hits while I'm invincible. Sometimes I stay up there till times runs out just to throw off whoever I'm fighting. Kill their vibe.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I just wait for the invincibility to wear off before I approach my opponent to keep things even and to figure out my next move. There's really no point for me to immediately use it to my advantage because that's not how I play my matches. I just don't have it in me. And if my opponent persistently goes out and attacks me while I'm still in the invincible state, I'll just take advantage of that with a smash attack.

Last edited:

Zeep

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZeepZeep
If I'm playing Robin I will charge up my Thunder for a second. If Ness, I typically attempt a PK fire, as I cannot be punished if it misses.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
It really depends on the situation for me. If it was an amazing kill like a reverse aerial Warlock Punch, I taunt afterwards to show them I'm not as salty as a saltshaker. If it's just a regular kill, I just head on and attack them. You know, to try to make the most of the invincibility frames.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I tend to do something silly, like crouching. I might taunt when I am respawning from a stupid self destruct. While I don't condemn people who try to attack me during the invincibility frames, I don't like doing that myself.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
In team match, I sometimes wait for a good opportunity, like when they're in the middle of attacking my partner, and then i come down and punish.

If my enemy is also respawning the same time I am, I will wait out until his invulnerability is gone, and then I will fall down.

If my partner is in trouble, I usually fastfall and get a quick sneak attack in

Khao

Smash Lord
I honestly don't think there's anything unfair about using the invincibility to try and turn things around. It's just another mechanic. It's there for a reason. It's not like it's much of an advantage anyway, your opponent can perfectly avoid you. If they fail to avoid you, it's either because they screwed up, or you managed to outsmart them in some way, and both are more than good enough reasons to be punished.

I fully expect my opponent to go after me when they respawn too. Waiting it out is not "playing fair," I honestly didn't even know doing that was a thing until now.

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Read their avoidance option -- usually a jump -- and punish.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
With some characters, I start charging a storeable special move, or use the time to fire a chargeable but non-storeable projectile. If I'm playing as Link, I pull out a bomb. If I'm playing as Mega Man, I pull out a Metal Blade. Otherwise, I try to use it to get to a good position on the stage, usually somewhat close to (but not at) the edge. Or just walk at the opponent, that works too. Very rarely do I use it to play hyper-aggressive. On those occasions when I do, it's usually because the opponent is sitting in the centre of the stage under the respawn platform like an idiot.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
If I SD in a dumb way: I taunt
If my opponent is distracted: I try to go for the surprise kill
If I'm facing someone who doesn't know the matchup against Jiggs: I go for the Sing and Rest them!
If it's lagging: I SD again
Normally: I just come to fight them

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Fire off a Gyro at my opponent. It covers a lot of ground with the height advantage you get from the respawn platform and usually catches people off guard while they're doing their short hop aerials or whatever.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Well, if you're Mario, DK, Sheik, Robin, Lucario, Mewtwo, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, or Pac-Man, I'd hope that you're pushing B (or Down B) immediately upon respawning.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, if you're Mario, DK, Sheik, Robin, Lucario, Mewtwo, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, or Pac-Man, I'd hope that you're pushing B (or Down B) immediately upon respawning.
To add to that list, Young Bowsy could probably benefit from plopping down a mechakoopa upon respawn.

Onichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OniXiion
After I respawn, I tend to use the invulnerability to procure an item spawn:. Bombs, Blades, etc. Or charge up a special. If character doesn't have it, I approach but never go for anything risky thinking I won't be punished.

The reason being I'm usually the guy whom after a kill will try to force a reaction from someone who just spawned to see if I can juke out their window of invulnerability. Throw out an arrow to save the bomb I pulled while they were on the platform, then hit when they avoid or approach through the arrow with a bomb to rang from my Link. I wouldn't want to be caught with my pants down like that so I try to stay somewhat cautious of my position 2 - 3 seconds after spawn.

Big Blue

Smash Rookie
NNID
LiquidBlue
Depends on the character really, with DK and Mega Man I use that time to charge up a punch or get a safe metal blade. Otherwise I either rush in or just quickly think over what went wrong that made me lose the previous stock. It's just nice to have a safe window to quickly collect my thoughts.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
After I die and respawn I always take a couple of seconds to wait, recollect, and regroup myself. It really helps if you feel like your pace is a little too fast, and if it irritates your opponent all the better.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
:4mewtwo: Teleport Spam. Gets me to the ground faster, disorients the opponent, gives me a bit of planning time. Also, it's cool.

:4gaw: I attempt a DThrow -> Judge. The opponent might as well have grabbed a Super Star if I don't take that stock lead of his away immediately.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Unless there is a Final Smash, opponent with a hammer or troublesome Assist Character/Pokemon in play, I jump back in and play as if I didn't have invincibility.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
Back my opponent over to the ledge while keeping some distance and see what they do. If they roll, punish accordingly and if they shield, run up grab or apply shield pressure.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I usually position myself for what's appropriate for the matchup, unless I think I can get a kill of course. Usually a quick dash > frame ten Fsmash is enough to catch people off guard and get a KO.

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
I usually don't get off the platform. I like to watch an opponent I'm having a short set with for reasons I can't list.
After I get booted off the platform and take center stage and get to dash dancing. I love dash dance, fox trot, dance trot, fox dancing.
didididididididi

Top Bottom