• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think of Pokemon Trainer?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Ditty Kong players. Tell me, what do you think of Pokemon Trainer? This is just for a general discussion. I'd like to hear what you guys think about him. Do you like him? do you not? Would you have an advantage over a PT, or would you we defeated easily? Remember PT is split into 3 pokemon so I wana hear specifics. I wana hear as many opinions on as many things as you can think from battle to moves to tactics etc.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Being that Pokemon Trainer and Diddy are two of my favorite characters, I feel that I can answer this.

Squirtle: It's not very good for Diddy that Squirtle can jump over the bananas easily. However, because of the bananas, Diddy has a major range advantage. Off stage, they both gimp each other rather easily, though Squirtle is a little better at it. Diddy's air game KOs better than Squirtle's, and Diddy's recovery is better. I say that the matchup is in Diddy's favor.

Ivysaur: Ivysaur has the range advantage, yes, and Ivysaur has the advantage on his ground game, yes. However, he also does have decent lag if he misses an attack, and the bananas outrange Ivysaur's attacks. Ivysaur is very suspectible to being overcome by bananas and being edgehogged. This matchup is in Diddy's favor.

Charizard: Charizard edgeguards and KOs Diddy very easily. He's also in the air more, meaning that he's less suspectible to Diddy's bananas. However, when he's on the ground, Diddy easily destroys Charizard due to his large size. Once again, the bananas are perfect for linking into one another and punishing Charizard's lag. It's in Diddy's favor.

Overall...

Diddy > Squirtle
Diddy >> Charizard
Diddy >>> Ivysaur

saberhof

Smash Master
^ im going with him...
squirtle is the worst out of the 3, the other 2 can be avoided easily by your banana game...

Bomber7

Smash Hero
never thought about it that way. That is quite the summary. I see your points well. Though his thesis is around the use or spam(whichever you prefer) of bananas. Not all players of ditty kong would do that i'm sure due to the different styles people have but in that scenario(forgive spelling if it's wrong) pokemon trainer would be at a disadvantage.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
never thought about it that way. That is quite the summary. I see your points well. Though his thesis is around the use or spam(whichever you prefer) of bananas. Not all players of ditty kong would do that i'm sure due to the different styles people have but in that scenario(forgive spelling if it's wrong) pokemon trainer would be at a disadvantage.
Look at some of N4N3RZ's videos. He uses bananas constantly. It's not spam, not at all, considering that they can be countered easily if not used right. They're a strategic (albeit risky) part of Diddy's gameplay, and without them, he wouldn't be as good as he is now. Besides, constant bananas is never frowned upon; it takes great skill to use them right, and can always be countered by a great opponent. Great is the term. A good Diddy mixes it up, making it extremely hard to do so.

Also, it's a fact that many of the top players use bananas frequently. It's just a fact that bananas are one of the best approaches and mindgames in the whole game. Diddy Kong players who rarely use bananas are simply neglecting what makes him great. Just think of Charizard never using Rock Smash and only using one of his three jumps, Ivy neglecting Bullet Seed and spending his time in the air, and Squirtle spending his time on the ground and never using his Down Throw at high percents. It just wastes the character's potential.

Count

Smash Champion
It's nice to see somebody on here that isn't a diddy main defending diddy's bananas. Most of the other people who don't play as diddy don't see this, and just label us as stupid banana spammers.

IDK

Smash Lord
^^^ only because they're tired of losing and get really annoyed by bananas. oh... and charizard seems to be the easiest one against my diddy. squirtle isnt too good but i don't like facing him. ivy's in the middle. i love gimping him with banana/peanut>edgehog.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I recorded a vid about 3 weeks ago of me 3-stocking a pokemon trainer.
That being said, this PT seems to prefer Charizard over Squirtle, and makes a few dumb mistakes.

I'll upload it tonight. Probably. lol.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Well, since I am ignorant to this community I am open to voice of reason, so I really have no problem here. I guess to you guys using bannanas alot is no different from my bombing style. Still somethings like b-peeling people to death can get annoying.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I recorded a vid about 3 weeks ago of me 3-stocking a pokemon trainer.
That being said, this PT seems to prefer Charizard over Squirtle, and makes a few dumb mistakes.

I'll upload it tonight. Probably. lol.
No offence to Rune but the PT is horrid. .-.
And who prefers Squirtle to either of the other two anyway?

Diddy Kong's one of those weird characters where Squirtle does best and Charizard doesn't really get to do much.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I really don't know since I don't fight any Diddy's, but Rune's PT was just not the way I would have even tried it.

But yeah, just on paper, I'd have to agree that Diddy isn't friendly to PT. Might change once I play a few.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
I really don't know since I don't fight any Diddy's, but Rune's PT was just not the way I would have even tried it.

But yeah, just on paper, I'd have to agree that Diddy isn't friendly to PT. Might change once I play a few.
Diddy really isn't friendly to anyone. Unless your Falco, Luigi, MK, or Snake your going to have a hard time against a good Diddy.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Don't worry, Rune's just a charizard fanboy. He doesn't play PT seriously.

His Wolf on the other hand, will make you cry for how much laser you will eat.

Top Bottom