• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you guys really think?

MrPitters2351

Smash Cadet
I wonder if you guys really think Mewtwo should've been replaced.
I think it isn't right, since he was a very original character, a nice villain, and it would have been very epic to see a nice rivalry between Mewtwo and Lucario (you know that would be awesome).

But, apparently hes out. So, I want to know your honest thoughts.

Did Mewtwo deserved to be replaced by Lucario?
Or do you think Sakurai should of not cut him out?

Discuss

Ryuker Reo

Smash Apprentice
I agree with you. He was original, and he was the Pokemon villain character. Replacing him with Lucario just seems absurd.

And Lucario's physics make no sense at all. They just copy pasted Mewtwo's.
Someone must of been feeling lazy...

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
I love Lucario's style, but iwould really loved to see Mewtwo and Lucario battle it on, i mean really both their Neutral B's shot at the same time. I mean it would hae been the best.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I definitely wish Mewtwo were back - hes too iconic of a Pokèmon to simply ignore IMO. That said, Lucario seems like he was a good addition too, so I have nothing against his inclusion, just against Mewtwo's exclusion. I see no reason why both couldn't have been in, especially since with the moves Lucario has they're no more alike than Marth and Ike.

Zevox

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
Mewtwo wasn't a clone. Clones are back however. They are mostly Luigified..but they are still back. Making the roster 36 wouldn't have taken too much time. Considering Mewtwo was already in Melee it's not hard to reprogram him back in. Also he wasn't that hard to fix. I think the only reason he was cut is because Pokémon would have had the highest amount of PCs and they wanted it to be equal. But adding one more Mario and Zelda Character would have made sense too. I think we all would be alot happier with a 40-42 character roster. But beggars can't be choosers.

Anyway, I dislike that Mewtwo was cut. Their seems to be no logic in it. I just wish I could go back in time and tell the SSBM development team to not make him hard to use. Maybe then we would see him in Brawl.

As a Pokémon fan I am sad to see him go, but I am happy to have PT and Lucario to replace him.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
Mewtwo wasn't a clone. Clones are back however. They are mostly Luigified..but they are still back.
I agree, Ganon was Luigified. If you've seen Ganondorf's >B its been Luigified as well as his Up B(a little). But still, yeah back to Lucario lol.

raptorbaby10

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo wasn't a clone. Clones are back however. They are mostly Luigified..but they are still back. Making the roster 36 wouldn't have taken too much time. Considering Mewtwo was already in Melee it's not hard to reprogram him back in. Also he wasn't that hard to fix. I think the only reason he was cut is because Pokémon would have had the highest amount of PCs and they wanted it to be equal. But adding one more Mario and Zelda Character would have made sense too. I think we all would be alot happier with a 40-42 character roster. But beggars can't be choosers.

Anyway, I dislike that Mewtwo was cut. Their seems to be no logic in it. I just wish I could go back in time and tell the SSBM development team to not make him hard to use. Maybe then we would see him in Brawl.

As a Pokémon fan I am sad to see him go, but I am happy to have PT and Lucario to replace him.
I definitely wish Mewtwo were back - hes too iconic of a Pokèmon to simply ignore IMO. That said, Lucario seems like he was a good addition too, so I have nothing against his inclusion, just against Mewtwo's exclusion. I see no reason why both couldn't have been in, especially since with the moves Lucario has they're no more alike than Marth and Ike.

Zevox
These 2 pretty much summed it all up on my thoughts.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
Well, if mewtwo wasn't horrible then maybe I would have cared. Lucario will definitely be good, so I think it was worth it.
you make it sound like they couldn't make him good just as they nerfed fox because he was too good...

you also make it sound like they HAD to get rid of mewtwo in order for Lucario to be in, hence the "worth it" part. thats just faulty logic.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
you also make it sound like they HAD to get rid of mewtwo in order for Lucario to be in
Well they'd have to have gotten rid of SOMEone.

For those who haven't noticed, Sakurai has a ridiculous rule in roster-picking that doesn't allow there to be more than 4 reps per franchise(franchise represented by icon) There are 4 mario reps, 4 zelda reps, 4 pokemon reps, and there have been since the last game.

If Sakurai had only boosted that number to 5, we could have had Mewtwo and an extra character from both Mario and/or Zelda.

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
I like Lucario and am looking forward to using him, but I was expecting the return of Mewtwo. Still it makes sense since the number of reps needed to be balanced.

nviv

Smash Cadet
although I was hoping for an inmproved mewtwo to return, I think Lucario deserves the spot more and makes an excellent addition to the roster.

Yatta Dante

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo was considered the worst in the game but the smash community. Plus, instead of just buffing MewTwo, it was better to replace him with a newer gen. pokemon, such as Lucario. While Lucario has a couple moves that are similar to MewTwo's, he also has his own unique set. Not to mention, Lucario was a very popular pokemon with his own movie. There would have been too many Pokemon characters, in my opinion, if Lucario AND MewTwo were in. I am glad to see that MewTwo has been retired and that Lucario has taken his place. Change is good.

Silver Flame

Smash Ace
I wouldn't have minded if Mewtwo returned, heck I even used to play him regurally. However, i don't think lucario replaced mewtwo, I know they seem similar but they are very different, aura is so much more that Mewtwo's esp. the fact is that Mewtwo and Pichu were removed and Lucario and Pokemon Trainer are two new pokemon reps. for all we know, Lucario replaced pichu and Pokemon trainer replaced mewtwo cuz he caught him in his masterball and left him in his pc for the rest of eternity.

dantemasta

Smash Apprentice
I personally like Lucario best of all the additions to Brawl. I thought it would be Sonic, and originally Lucario seemed pretty cool. But from what I've seen they've made him into an amazing character. As for Mewtwo, I think he should have stayed I wasn't very good with him, but he was still one of my favorite characters just because he was the only pokemon they had in there that wasn't cute and cuddly. I don't think they should have used Lucario as a replacement. They should have added him in, and kept Mewtwo. A person who I personally feel should have been replaced by another character is Game&Watch who should be replaced by R.O.B. It just seems like the point of having him as a 'WTF' character is lost when there's R.O.B. there too.

A person who I personally feel should have been replaced by another character is Game&Watch who should be replaced by R.O.B. It just seems like the point of having him as a 'WTF' character is lost when there's R.O.B. there too.
That’s ridiculous logic. It’s the Smash community that comes up with those silly little terms and categorizations for a character. You think anyone at Nintendo, let alone anyone on the Super Smash Bros. Brawl development team, let alone Sakurai, thinks of Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. as ‘WTF Characters’? Um, no. They are just different characters to them. And more importantly, Mr. Game & Watch was the forerunner of all Nintendo characters. Some could say he’s more important to the company than Mario. Not to mention, the series was made by Gunpei Yokoi (creator of the Metroid series and the Game Boy as well), who by the way died. Do you think Sakurai would go and dump his classic character? So don't expect Mr. Game & Watch to be leaving the Super Smash Bros. series, ever.

*rant over*

Oathblivion

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm going to go into practice mode and beat on Lucario until I'm satified that he knows how angry I am at him for replacing Mewtwo. After that, I plan to try him out because he seems to have Mewtwo's "feel" to him. Watching people play him, I can almost hear Mewtwo (or that voice in the back of my head) laughing while saying "well done, my young apprentice.

-Oath

PS: He's still my personal punching bag, as I recall someone mentioning here. Even if I need a heavier character I'll just make Lucario metal or something...

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Not that I like Mewtwo being replaced, but maybe if they had not made Mewtwo the way he was in Melee, we'd have videos of Mewtwo right now. Honestly, my friends all think Mewtwo is a cool character but was gay in Melee.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I wanted the 4 Pokémon reps to be Pikachu, Pokémon Trainer, Lucario, and Mewtwo. If anyone deserved to be cut, let it be Jigglypuff. Without Mewtwo, the game is lacking the main franchises' (Super Mario, Pokémon, and Zelda) main antagonists. Bowser & Ganondorf miss their ally in crime.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I liked mewtwo and i like him as a character but his move list did need a nice bit of work i think they should have kept him would have made a good pokemon villian in SSE but i\'m not all that dissapointed.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I will make Lucario my personal punching bag. If I see someone using Lucario, I will focus only on him.
I accept your challenge. I wont make an easy punching bag however.

actually, I was happy to see Lucario instead of Mewtwo. have nothing against Mewtwo. I just knew it was one or the other, and even though first gen was my absolute favorite, and mewtwo was awesome, I stil thought Lucario rocked harder.

His style also looks more interesting than Mewtwo's was in melee. He has an attack or two that doesnt even require him to be up next to them. He moves his hands and they burn. Thats awesome.

His UpB is great, and he looks overall a better character than Mewtwo was in Melee. Not to say Mewtwo couldnt have been tweaked, but I was, like I said, much more happy to see Lucario than Mewtwo returning.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Without Mewtwo, the game is lacking the main franchises' (Super Mario, Pokémon, and Zelda) main antagonists. Bowser & Ganondorf miss their ally in crime.
Yea, and instead they got a Star Fox villain who has a cloned moveset and stands like he has spina bifida.

I agree. Oh, but...Starfox is like the new major franchise with teh popularity.

I agree that M2 should have been in, along with Ridley. Bah...no sense complaining about it now.

But I have the same sentiments regarding certain characters and will make them personal punching bags. *coughrobcough*

Eisenherz

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm going to go into practice mode and beat on Lucario until I'm satified that he knows how angry I am at him for replacing Mewtwo. After that, I plan to try him out because he seems to have Mewtwo's "feel" to him. Watching people play him, I can almost hear Mewtwo (or that voice in the back of my head) laughing while saying "well done, my young apprentice.

-Oath

PS: He's still my personal punching bag, as I recall someone mentioning here. Even if I need a heavier character I'll just make Lucario metal or something...

Lucario is in. Mewtwo is out. It's funny how you Mewtwo supporters are still bitter about that. Move on please.

I'm so glad they booted Mewtwo and put Lucario in. Best decision Sakurai made about this game.

Kronzo

Smash Apprentice
They should have both been in. The roster should have been bigger since there are so many clones. And with the inclusion of clones, they may as well shouldve brought doc pichu and roy back anyway.

Mediator

Smash Journeyman
I truly madly deeply wanted mewtwo to be in with a new move set

and a better looking character design
pokemon the movie: tall slender powerful

Melee: bobble headed weak and LOOK AT HIS FINGERS! those are not mewtwo's fingers
they look like E.T. fingers!

Neemo

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo needed to have been kicked out or heavily upgraded. I like that Lucario seems to harness the soul of Mewtwo to some extent and causes people to ask "Did Lucario replace Mewtwo?".

So in a sense they didn't completely get rid of Mewtwo. They satisfied their need for fresh characters and upgraded old ones.

Dynamik

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo was a great character, but they messed up on him. He was low tier and hard to play, imo of course. Plus, D/P was in need of rep so they needed Lucario and he isn't bad looking. Pikachu and Jigglypuff was put in because they were popular in Japan, more popular than Mewtwo. Pokemon Trainer is just a nice addition instead of Pichu.

Top Bottom