• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you do when you have a "off day" in for glory

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
If you can guess let's just say the past couple days of online have been...rough,being in a constant losing streak,losing to people knowing you can beat,bad lag,making sloppy mistakes,dealing with campers and spammers,etc.

As the topic says,how do you guys handle a bad for glory session.Do you just stop playing,take a break,keep playing hoping something good might come your way.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If not switch over to either For Fun/With Friends or play offline with my sister, I tend to take a break to catch up with other games.

Skipped playing Smash entirely during Apex, felt a lot better returning today after feeling burnt out for the longest time.

Lord Xanthan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Master_Xanthan
I usually take a break and watch something on Netflix. Preferably a comedy so I don't stay salty for very long. Or I'll play a single player game.

FlashTheSentry

Smash Rookie
NNID
FlashSen
I just keep playing, hoping that I eventually win, but all it does is cause salt because I become frustrated with it. It's definitely better to just step away, and not torture yourself like I do.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I'll continue to play a bit while practicing returning to a neutral state of mind, as one of my problems as a player is that once I get frustrated or angry it takes too long for the 'heat' to simmer down. So I try to discover ways to meditate while I return my character to a neutral so we both can come back at it with a fresh angle.

If I can't calm down, either due to my anger not subsiding or my frustration gets worse because I discover something in the game isn't working optimally (I play Ike, which requires lag to be at a minimal for me to properly pressure my opponents. If the connection is bad or my internet decides it wants to be fickle it really throws me off) then I'll do something else. House hunt with my wife, play Pokémon (rpgs with a bit of grind seem to be calming), read a book or something else depending on time and mood.

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
I just keep playing, hoping that I eventually win, but all it does is cause salt because I become frustrated with it. It's definitely better to just step away, and not torture yourself like I do.
I know what you mean,I have a habit of not knowing when to stop and keep playing hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel,if that's not the case,I just stop playing and take a week break and come back with a calm mindset.

_Iggy_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ignis_Sphaera
If I'm constantly losing, I play a few games where I pay particular attention to what my opponent is doing, what exactly it is they're doing to beat me. If they're landing grabs more than usual, or I'm running into their attacks I make a mental note of it and go do something else for a while.

I usually play with a friend or something after a massive lose streak and ask them to play in a certain way (grab more than normal, spam projectiles, etc) and figure out the best way to combat it.

I tend to find that unless I'm super happy with my progress (which I never am), taking long breaks from the game tends to revert me back to square one; and I fall into old habits.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I try to explore a little when I'm frustrated online, especially when I'm losing to the same person repeatedly. If I feel myself getting upset, I start really examining my play for any patterns or assumptions that I might be able to tear away to improve. And not via my usual subtle adjustments; I completely flip my playstyle on its head. A lot of the time, I then realize there was a good reason I was doing what I was doing, and I change back to my old tactics after a fight or two, but sometimes I discover a new technique that will help me put up a fight. Or other times I just confuse my opponent enough to amuse myself. Plus, when you're experimenting and learning, it gets your mind off the exact results of the match. It's not about I won or I lost, it's this strategy won or this strategy lost. Takes some pressure off.

As an Ike player with fairly poor shield reflexes, I find myself being forced to approach projectile users very frequently. So much so that I often get in the habit of rushing down everyone without any reserve. When I'm losing repeatedly and considering quitting, I try to catch things like that and switch my strategy completely. I'll try hanging back and forcing my opponent to approach, then I'll try to adapt to the resulting defensive play. Or I'll completely re-prioritize my moves, so that I generally forsake standard attacks for grabs, or I start playing risky and fish for more smash attacks, etc. Seeing some opponents react to a complete change of strategy 15 games into a match is hilarious.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
I always stay in the matches even if I'm constantly losing. Sure my win percentage takes a massive nosedive because of this, but it helps me improve and gets me more accustomed to the matchups. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as the saying goes. I would rather spend my time fighting a good player than constantly encounter players I win against.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
tbh i just go on FG to participate in a conquest, anything else is just a waste of time for me due to all the problems that mode (and my internet connection) have. It's just not enjoyable to me.

I prefer playing with my friends/amiibos/CPUs ^^

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I usually take a break and watch people streaming smash instead when I get to the point where I'm frustrated. I tend to do poorly against certain for glory playstyles so even if I'm winning I get mad because I could have done better. I don't like playing people who don't understand and view the game from a competitive standpoint because playing them too much develops bad habits and makes you worse if you don't practice with good players in between. For glory has its pros and cons but I try not to spend too much time in the mode.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Usually, I just pick a different character. Having a different playstyle helps get rid of that feeling of doing the same thing over and over and having it fail over and over.

Or I just pick Dedede and look for any openings I have to crouch in the middle of combat.

Ducksen

Smash Apprentice
I get all silly. Personally, my favorite thing to do is change my name to ¨Pac-Mdgt" (Short for Pac-******) and crouch and walk back and forth as Pac-Man. His crawl just looks so goofy: And some people get so caught up in trying to kill such an easy target that they get themselves killed. I've actually won a few matches as Pac-******.

RULES OF THE PACMIDGET:
1. Thou must not hurt their opponent intentionally.
2. If thou are taunted, you must return the taunt
3. If thou are knocked off the ledge, they are allowed to recover. If your opponent kills him/herself in the process of trying to kill thou, it does not count as breaking rule 1.
4. Once reaching the end of the stage, thou must turn around and continue crawling till either thou are killed or thou win.

Tomberry

Smash Cadet
NNID
TeeLew15
For me that's usually a sign that I need to change characters or take a break. If it's a lose streak based off someone who I consider really good I don't mind the loses since I can use that for improvement.

Last edited:

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
I take a break since I clearly have played too much in one sitting and I need to clear my head.

Or I just switch to Ganon and stop caring about victories and losses and try to figure out how I can style my opponent the hardest. :)

PaguPeesh

Smash Rookie
NNID
fanofoddness
3DS FC
1032-2521-5538
Well, I bring out my salt shakers and mash my buttons in vain as my Win Streak drops by the minute. -cries softly- :yeahboi:

NeymarJr24

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1375-7811-4471
I keep playing, when I found a someone that won me, I can't leave without first at least once.
I usually change of character when don't work my main characters.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I usually take a long break from the game entirely or play a character I haven't played in a long while. I find both usually get me back into the swing of things. I think it's just overactive muscle memory making me rusty, so I'd advise this for a lot of people too. :p

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
If you keep playing then you're bound to get more frustrated, leading to more mistakes in gameplay. Therefore taking a break would be the best thing to do. Calm down your nerves and reflect a bit on what you could've done better/differently. After giving yourself ample time away from the game, you come back refreshed and revitalized with a clearer mindset to play.

Storm Erion

Smash Cadet
If I notice I'm getting really salty while playing For Glory (or if I'm just in a bad mood or tired) I just play For Fun instead. It's still fun to play, and I don't have to worry about the salt from myself or others. Either that or go over replays.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Whenever I find myself making a few errors more frequently than I should, I leave For Glory and go play For Fun most of the day, that or I just take out smash 3DS (Mostly what I play, but may play the Wii U version as well) and play Pokémon X/Y, I find this to be relaxing and it takes the tension out.

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
switch to a faceroll character and win no matter what

Ex. Rosalina, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Zero Suit Samus

Last edited:

Holla@ChaBoi390

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5100-6686
I take a couple hours off. I also learned to disregard my win ratio. I mained Liitle Mac for awhile after release and had around a 90% win ratio. After getting owned by a Mario, I realized that I wasnt learning or improving in any meaningful way. I only had that % due to the overwhelming amount of bad players in for glory and also because Mac flourishes in super laggy games. I suicide at the start of any match with lag now, taking away all the frustrations with it. My win rate is now only 57% but I am having more stress/lag-free fun with the game and actually improving.

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
I always suicide when there is a considerable amount of lag as well. Those kind of games just aren't worth playing

1FC0

Smash Lord
Win. FG is full of scrubs even at my worst most of them get owned by me.

Rinkario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rinkario253
3DS FC
3780-9024-1899
On my off days I just keep on playing. It's usually because I haven't been playing Smash in a while. Also I try to analyze what I'm doing right and wrong so I can see to it that it doesn't happen again or as often. I'm not good but i try my best anyway.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
I normally try to practice remaining calm, because if I ever decide to compete someday I need to know how to play under pressure and maintain control of my confidence when things are rough. If things get to salty for me then I just call it quits for a day. I don't know why, but after losing so much and take I take a break for a bit, I come back harder than ever before.

Top Bottom