• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you do grab-wise?

piscaso

Smash Cadet
What throws do you do at certain percents, what do you follow up with, and why?

I just end up doing up throw every time but I feel like there should be more strategy with it, especially because of how good Mewtwo's grab game is.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Down throw into fair at low percents.(sometimes baited into fsmash too)Fthrow in awkward situations where down throw no longer works and neither uthrow or b throw will ko.uthrow all the time at kill percents.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Down throw into fair or just general baits.
Forward throw for damage.
Up throw for kills or baits at lower percents.
Back throw for kills or damage.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
U-Throw for kills, breathing space, and damage. F-throw or B-throw for spacing and to get them offstage 9/10. D-throw if I just feel like mixing it up a little.

Crispy_

Smash Cadet
NNID
OatmeaiCrisp
3DS FC
3754-6658-5495
At certain percents I like to hit em up with a D-throw Nair. You have a few options out of that like tilts and jabs.

The Big Wang Theory

Smash Cadet
NNID
TimeNook
3DS FC
4038-6179-1020
Dthrow to keep them close, Fthrow for creating breathing room and racking up some damage, Bthrow to start edgeguarding or get a lucky kill, Uthrow to toss them to the moon. Followups usually involve a lot of Fairs.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If my opponent's >90%, I'll go for an Up-Throw. Otherwise, usually F-throw because it's just so darn stylish, and it can get opponents offstage regardless of their %. D-throw works sometimes at low%, though it's pretty inconsistent with follow ups from my experience.

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
^yeah.. fair is awesome when it works and it's hilarious getting people who think they are going to get out of the fair and end up just falling into an fsmash i've chosen to use instead but then theres a lot of times where they are inexpicably able to air dodge out when i'm pretty sure i timed the fair as tightly as possible.

Last edited:

Wintry

Smash Cadet
What throws do you do at certain percents, what do you follow up with, and why?

I just end up doing up throw every time but I feel like there should be more strategy with it, especially because of how good Mewtwo's grab game is.
Low% - F-Throw for damage, and I zone
Med% - D-Throw, see how they react (do they attack, air dodge, etc.)
High% - U-Throw or B-Throw and edgeguard off stage, cause recovery is GDLK

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
^yeah.. fair is awesome when it works and it's hilarious getting people who think they are going to get out of the fair and end up just falling into an fsmash i've chosen to use instead but then theres a lot of times where they are inexpicably able to air dodge out when i'm pretty sure i timed the fair as tightly as possible.
That's because none of Mewtwo's throws combos. The opponent has about 14-17 frame advantage on Down Throw is I am correct, that means that even Ike can hit you before you can hit him with F-Air (if he spams an aerial while being thrown).

As a general rule of thumb try not to "combo" out of any of Mewtwo's throws as good players will exploit this and you will end up getting severely punished for landing a grab. Instead try to create pressure, move in as if to attack, trying to bait a reaction and then punish accordingly. If your opponent doesn't react then you know it's safe to combo him next time.

I myself do Down-Throw at low %s. On the first throw I'll just walk forward and check for my opponents reaction, normally it's either an aerial or a dodge, either of which yoy can just shield and regrab once they land (the 1 second has already passed) then Down-Throw again.

The second time I SH towards my opponent, but trying to avoid any and all of his aerials (DIng away just as I am outside his range) and watch for reaction. Again, normally it's either an aerial or an air dodge, this time I take note of what happened, normally because I am avoiding his aerials I won't be in range for another punish.... But now I know how he reacts. If he likes to dodge or aerial I'll just start doing B-Throws and F-Throws until I see a kill opportunity at which point I'll do Down-Throw into stutter stepped half-charged F-Smash, since they will aerial or dodge I will land my smash.

If they like to jump I'll try to intercept where they are jumping with a Full Jump B-Air or U-Air. If the follow up is impossible (they like to jump AWAY from me) then I'll just take the time to charge Shadow Ball.

I do B-Throw and F-Throw when it gets my opponent offstage and I do U-Throw when my opponent is 100-120+ (depends on char and my own rage).

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
maan no throw combos at all? that sucks.. i guess it's time to fthrow all day since atleast it does more damage.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Since down throw doesn't actually combo, it's best to see how your opponent reacts and just punish the next time you use it.

Edit: Didn't see Raykz's post, sorry if this came off as redundant.

Last edited:

Wintry

Smash Cadet
maan no throw combos at all? that sucks.. i guess it's time to fthrow all day since atleast it does more damage.
Not exactly. D-Throw allows you to put pressure, but it requires a read on how they react to falling a short distance (similar to their reaction to Side B).

Sure, F-Throw tacks on the damage, but you sacrifice a follow up.

SuperSwagBros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xCocho
0-30
Down throw or Up throw depending on character
Depends on the opponent's aerials/options, some characters have a hard time landing.
Upthrow does the most damage
I'll switch to the other if one isn't working, or stay if one is working.

40+
Upthrow
Little too far for follow ups other than bair with down throw
Mewtwo's up-air is great

90+
backthrow to bair gimp
or
upthrow charge shadowball then go for a follow up

110+
Looking for a back throw from the ledge for the KO

130+
Up throw for the KO

Backthrow or forward throw always if I'm next to the ledge
usually upthrow if I'm dead in the center

-TAG-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuprSmashKing16
D-Throw to follow-up with attacks and for pressure.

B-Throw to get my opponents off-stage or to KO near the edge (if their percentage is high enough).

Up-Throw for the high percentage KO.

and last but not least,

F-Throw for just how badass it looks (or to get them off-stage).

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Dthrow for low% setups. Fthrow/Bthrow to get them off stage to try to set up a gimp. Sometimes at low percents against faster fall speeds and low horizontal air mobility I up throw instead of down throw, then just follow up with Uptilts.
B/Uthrow for kills.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
Down throw into fair against big/tall characters, forward throw for damage, up throw to kill, and back throw to space for shadow ball charge (or to kill if my back is to the edge).

DrPac

Smash Cadet
NNID
derek
3DS FC
2793-1053-1017
His most important one is his up throw, which is one of the best in the game, the opponent will usually die from this at around 120%, his down throw can be good if the opponent has a high percentage, as they will go in a different direction, which can be followed by a side smash. His other ones are okay, their nothing that special.

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Up-throw for kills (around 130%), down-throw for mindgames.
Forward-throw doesn't seem that great in 1v1 (maybe better suited for 4 player smashes?), backt-hrow kills at around 100% near the edge.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
I found recently that Dthrow leads to a lot of mindgames and some tech chasing like Snake's Dthrow shenanigans. If the opponent is smart, they'll jump to avoid a safe SB followup and go for the Fair/Nair/Dair to punish. In this case, you can shield the aerial, grab the opponent during landing lag and land another Dthrow. In other cases, such as falling Dairs from guys like Sonic and Sheik, our Usmash is very anti-air, making it another option when used to Jump Cancel.

The opponent has many options here, but this is when the mindgames start; what if you do the same followup? What if you actually go for the SB? What if something new comes up? If I tech or land normally, can I be safe and avoid more damage?

While it isn't Jigglypuff levels of psych-out, it's intimidation, something that helps Mewtwo withstand and apply pressure to fearful fighters. Especially at early points in the match, this kind of mindgame can affect them throughout the match, forcing them to make uncomfortable decisions that may end with an Usmash KO.

However, to scare them even more, I occasionally like to scare them further with a Uthrow or Disable. Helps make it more well known that I mean business.

Last edited:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Down throw is useful at mid-percentage for some follow-ups and mind games.

Forward throw isn't terribly practical in 1v1, but it racks up some nice damage and is generally a good throw to use when you're not at a good down throw percent and want to keep the up throw fresh. It can also get foes off the stage. In FFA or teams, the shadow balls can hit multiple foes which makes this more useful there.

Back throw is useful for a kill at the ledge and getting the opponent off the stage. It also puts them in a good position for back airs.

Up throw can kill at high percents, it does the most damage, and it can allow for some baits at early percentage.

That's how I use them.

Last edited:

Lawliet626

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lawliet626
At 0%-10% (i mostly do it on 0 but depends on the character, ive been using down grab + Fsmash + Full charged shadow ball
Havent figured in which circumstances and characters it works well, but its worked well for me and has racked me up 50% damage just from 3 hits

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I am using FThrow alot but thats because I dont want to stall my UThrow and BThrow and it gives most damage and the coolest looking one (most useful in FFA there it can hit all 3 opponents). I only using UThrow then I know its a kill or BThrow at mid % at the ledge

I do use DThrow as a mix up and do a read of what my opponent likes to do and counter it!

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Depending on the damage % my foe's at I tend to use my D-throw alot (mostly to try and set up a D-air meteor at later % it can also set up his F-airs very easily (a few times I managed to do 2 F-airs in a row before landing the D-air meteor off-stage (also managed to pull off 3 F-airs which leads to easy edgeguards off-stage), the double F-air into D-air meteor might be possible to do with the B-air, but that requires the B-throw to used).

F-throw if done right (depending on your opponent's %) can easily set up another grab/throw if your fast enough (9x out of 10 I can pull it off), I've done it multiple times, usually tend to use his Up-throw after the F-throw.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I somehow picked up the habit of using his f-throw most of the time, b-throw offstage and perform either b-air or n-air, use his d-throw to set up combos and u-throw for the kill.

regularkid123

Smash Cadet
I love mewtwos throws Most of them can kill at 100% or less its crazy i love his forward throw the most on the edge it can kill easily at 90%-110%

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
for me, it depends on the stage. if its a flat stage like fd, i use uthrow because they'll have many issues landing(usmash, shadow ball, utilt, etc.) but if its a stage with platforms like bf, i vary it up a little. of course, thats not to say i dont use all of :4mewtwo:'s throws on flat stages, i just find uthrow to be optimal on such stages.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
There's always walk-offs... right?
I mean yes. F-Throw actually has the coolest animation for a kill animation (every single Shadow Ball you throw makes a "death ray", it looks awesome). But that post made it seem like he thinks it normally kills.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I don't know I always find myself trying the down throw and then down air near the edge, or down throw with a few forward airs.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
I really don't think throw combos always work, especially if you foe does an aerial attack out of down throw.

regularkid123

Smash Cadet
I mean yes. F-Throw actually has the coolest animation for a kill animation (every single Shadow Ball you throw makes a "death ray", it looks awesome). But that post made it seem like he thinks it normally kills.
It does not normally kill...It just racks up damage so i grab and use Fair as much as i cna to get easy K.Os

IrkenPPG

Smash Cadet
Down Throw leads into combos, usually forward air. Up throw sometimes up airs but can kill pretty easily. Back throw when you you are at the edge and want your opponent offstage, also kills. Forward throw is the weakest, but not bad, just down throw is better for combos.

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
That's because none of Mewtwo's throws combos. The opponent has about 14-17 frame advantage on Down Throw is I am correct, that means that even Ike can hit you before you can hit him with F-Air (if he spams an aerial while being thrown).

As a general rule of thumb try not to "combo" out of any of Mewtwo's throws as good players will exploit this and you will end up getting severely punished for landing a grab. Instead try to create pressure, move in as if to attack, trying to bait a reaction and then punish accordingly. If your opponent doesn't react then you know it's safe to combo him next time.

I myself do Down-Throw at low %s. On the first throw I'll just walk forward and check for my opponents reaction, normally it's either an aerial or a dodge, either of which yoy can just shield and regrab once they land (the 1 second has already passed) then Down-Throw again.

The second time I SH towards my opponent, but trying to avoid any and all of his aerials (DIng away just as I am outside his range) and watch for reaction. Again, normally it's either an aerial or an air dodge, this time I take note of what happened, normally because I am avoiding his aerials I won't be in range for another punish.... But now I know how he reacts. If he likes to dodge or aerial I'll just start doing B-Throws and F-Throws until I see a kill opportunity at which point I'll do Down-Throw into stutter stepped half-charged F-Smash, since they will aerial or dodge I will land my smash.

If they like to jump I'll try to intercept where they are jumping with a Full Jump B-Air or U-Air. If the follow up is impossible (they like to jump AWAY from me) then I'll just take the time to charge Shadow Ball.

I do B-Throw and F-Throw when it gets my opponent offstage and I do U-Throw when my opponent is 100-120+ (depends on char and my own rage).
Can everyone escape down throw to down tilt at 0%? It seems pretty reliable against characters in our Goldilocks range (non-fast faller/non-floaty)

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
Tend to down throw a lot (that's probably out of habit, though, since I play so much Ness). I always try and follow it up with a f-air but it appears everyone and their grandmothers have caught on to that trick hence I never land it >_>

Top Bottom