• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What DLC modes do you want?

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
Sakurai mentioned new modes when talking about DLC. Why not fantasize about new modes?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Adventure mode back on the Wii U version.
Special Smash on the 3DS version.

tr3v

Smash Cadet
NNID
TR3V07
3DS FC
4871-5923-4364
Sequel to the Subspace Emissary would be awesome! They already have some of the enemies included in Smash Run, so that's a start.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
That final battle at the end of smash tour... I want that outside of that mode. Would be a lot of fun to say to friends "Pick your best 5 and let's go!"

A flexible online with anyone mode: Default could be what it is, but I'd like to be able to set rules, and opponents could vote (or in the case of 2 vs 2 agree or disagree) to them. Translation: I want to play stock online.

Tourney... friends and I do this every month (not competitive rules) and it would be nice if the game could go back to doing the brackets for me instead of the crud we do to make it as random as possible.

I'd like to see "classic" turned into a multiplayer game. Everyone moves there pieces and once they connect they have to move together (or at least try). Those who don't have an opponent are pulled to one at the end of the time limit. Losers are eliminated.

Melee All Star Mode: That was my favorite set up... the randomness of it made it so it was a different game each time. Brawl and 4 both try to ficus on history... and succeed at that goal at the expense of gameplay becoming repetitive and boring. I'd like the added feature of being able to choose which foe's level you fight in... mainly because playing hazard filled stages when the name of the game is avoid damage is a lot more infuriating than it is fun. (I hate you Luigi's mansion, Spear Piller,)

Please avoid:

Sub space emissary, or anything else that takes smash bros mechanics and shoves it into a game that it doesn't fit in.

Anything involving HP battles... Let's see take a great game, take what makes it stand out from the rest of the fighting game genre and replace it with the old genetic system... this mode is a waste of space... (and whoever keeps oking even matches involving this needs to be demoted)

Rangerike

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Thatsrike
I, too, enjoyed the tournament option.

Destroy the targets or light the platforms w/e it was called in 64.

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Adventure Mode, or a "preset" Classic Mode like in the original SSB64.

Also +1 for Tournament Mode, Break the Targets, and Board the Platforms.

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Yep. Definitely interested in Break the Targets or Board the Platforms. Smash Run on Wii U also would be welcome.

But mostly I want something I wouldn't expect. I want Sakurai and the team to surprise me!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Team Battle Mode.
Players select 2-8 different characters, each one representing a stock.
Similar to the one in Smash Tour, but it's a separate mode.

This is a huge pipe dream but I've always wanted it in Smash ever since I played it in Soucalibur 2.

Last edited:

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
Break The Targets for every character and Adventure mode. But I'd prefer if Adventure mode stuck true to Melee fashion as opposed to Subspace. The cutscenes were cool and subspace was fun, but that'd take too many resources for something that could be incredibly simple and fun. I'd much prefer traveling around different universe classic style.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Adventure Mode & Break the Targets should come back. If Adventure Mode did come back, it should be like the one from Melee instead of being like SSE from Brawl.

Shog

Smash Ace
:101:ABOARD THE PLATFORMS PLEASE:101:

I need my N64 nostalgia love for this mode ;-;

Noss92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ness92
Super Smash Bros Amie. Pet your favorite character ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
Super Smash Bros Amie. Pet your favorite character ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I take it you frequent Serenes forest as well?

Anyways, I'd like to see the following:

End of smash tour each-stock-is-a-new-character type battles as a new mode. Just don't involve the part where it's determined by KO's and not stocks at the end.

A melee style adventure mode: Normally I'd advocate something more original, but since this can be made entirely with assets already in the game I think it would be fine. You could have:
-boss fights with the stage bosses
-SSE style romps with Smash Run monsters through Master Fortress, Pac-Land, any other moving stages added as DLC, and HyruleTemple/Palu Temple/GCO with the addition of a Smash run style zoomed in camera that follows you around. You could find custom moves and trophies in the treasure chests!
-Climactic fights with permanent but super armor-less Giga Bowser, Giga Mac, Mega Lucario, and/or Wario Man.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
ADVENTURE MODE 4 Wii U has been feeling incomplete without it ;_;

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Yeah I'd like Melee style Break the Targets again and then any kind of adventure mode.

ynglink

Smash Rookie
NNID
ynglink
Break the Targets, Adventure Mode, and I'd like to see something similar to Galactic Conquest from Battlefront 2. Being able to play with multiple friends, going through all the levels in the game, especially since this version has pushed that Trophies more as "Game Pieces" this would work awesome. Each person picks a different character and winning matches earns coins, with streak bonuses of course. In between matches you could spend your coins for more stocks, bonuses, modifiers, level variants (hazards on/off, or Final Destination modes), or to purchase immediate moves that will have to be used on the character during that "campaign".

EnigmaticKnight

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind seeing Smash Run on the Wii U version. For other modes, I would like to see Adventure Mode, Break the Targets, Board the Platforms and Boss Battles Mode. :)

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
Definitely the Melee-style adventure mode.

Some kind of Boss Rush mode where you and maybe some other players can fight various bosses from various game franchises one after the other. Like All Star mode.

VIP Match. A permutation of 8 person smash. There are two teams of 4 and each team has a member designated as the VIP. You can only win by KOing the VIP. The designated player would have 1-2 stock and everyone else would have infinite.

King of the Hill. A Free for All or Team match where you only score points by standing on a particular raised platform uncontested. Whoever has the most points at the end of a certain amount of time wins.

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
Smash Zone:
  • Can be played with 2-8 players.
  • Can play free for all or teams.
  • Players fight to secure a certain location on a stage.
  • King of the hill like.
  • Players that have control over that area get points for however long they are there.
  • Control of the area happens when I player stands completely alone in the area (unless with team members).
  • After a certain amount of time the location changes.
  • Mode can be played with time or point limit.

Trophy Hog:
  • Can play free for all or teams.
  • Players fight to hold onto a trophy.
  • Trophy spawns in central location.
  • Holding onto this trophy awards the player/team with points.
  • Holding onto the trophy works like a throwing item where the player holding it cannot grab or use standard attacks without throwing it away.
  • This makes it harder for them to keep control of the trophy, and must use special moves or evade the other players.
  • The trophy can be thrown at players and to team mates for a keep away feel.
  • When the trophy hits the ground it stays in that certain spot for a few seconds until it respawns to its starting location.
  • Falling off stage, or getting KO'd with the trophy results in it respawning as well.

Trophy Hunt:

• Cn be played free for all or teams.
  • This mode is very similar to Trophy Hog, but it has a more capture the flag type feel.
  • A trophy spawns in a certain location on the stage, and a trophy drop zone spawns in another area.
  • Players must race each other to grab the trophy and return it to the trophy drop zone.
  • After each point the areas change.
  • You are awarded points by successfully carrying the trophy into the area.
  • This means you cannot drop or throw the trophy into the area to get a point, you must be holding it.
  • The trophy physics work the same as they do in the Trophy Hog game.

*For Trophy modes the default trophy is a golden Smash Ball, however scanning your Smash Series amiibo to the game automatically adds new character trophies to the data base and you can choose which golden amiibo Trophy you want to use for the game or just choose random."

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
A actual Mario Party mode, not this smash tour imposter thingy. Yes, I legitimately want a mario party clone in Smash bros, you may now kill/flame me.
Also, a mode where you can actually collect custom moves at a reasonable rate would be great, I don't even care how, just customs only, so i don't have to grind for 5 thousand hours to get one move that i want.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
A metroidvania singleplayer adventure mode where you go across many nintendo worlds, fighting enemys similar to the ones in smash run except multiplied by 10, With the return of boss battle's. But thats more SSB5 likely.

Campoq

Smash Rookie
NNID
Campoq
Maybe its already been said but I definitely want an Adventure Mode back in Smash 4. I remember back when I was young playing Melee loving Adventure mode and I still love speed running it today. So sad to see it gone away in Smash 4.

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
I'd absolutely love a survival mode for smash run on the wii u, and maybe some new enemies. Bonus points if you can encounter your opponents and can take them out too!

Freduardo

Smash Champion
For Wii: Boss Rush. Adventure Mode. Tournament mode. Smash Run

For 3DS: Smash Run + (New Maps), Boss Rush, Event Match

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
What I want the most is -

1) Tournament mode - 8 player and 16 player tournaments please! If there's a mode that can do pools then a double elimination bracket just like in person tourneys that'd be even better.

2) Stages other than Omega and Final Destination on For Glory. I can see this working like Mario Kart. Both players pick a stage and one is chosen at random. If you play someone multiple times, let the loser pick the stage. I especially want to be able to play the tournament legal stages on for glory. Unless you meet with others in person the only time you can get practice on them is against level 9 CPUs.

Other than fixing the ridiculous lag (why does smash lag so bad but mario kart never does?) this is all I really want from online.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
A actual Mario Party mode, not this smash tour imposter thingy. Yes, I legitimately want a mario party clone in Smash bros, you may now kill/flame me.
Also, a mode where you can actually collect custom moves at a reasonable rate would be great, I don't even care how, just customs only, so i don't have to grind for 5 thousand hours to get one move that i want.
Assuming old mario party instead of happy family car ride stupidity... I Agree.

That game was so much fun based on the many ways the game could change, and more importantly the countless ways to screw over an opponent... yet it still kept some element of balance.

That would be amazing in smash... I actually like smash tour but it is very underwhelming in the way it was done.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Melee mode.
Also, some more single player modes, such as Boss Battles and some kind of Adventure mode or Subspace Emissary. Seriously, Smash 4's single player is ****. Why can't we have Melee's Event Mode and Break the Targets with Brawl's Subspace Emissary and Boss Battles?

Kwinston

Smash Cadet
NNID
KWINSTON
I really want to see tournament mode, and break the targets coming back. However, I don't want to see them the way they were in Brawl. I want there to be character specific one like in melee that really test how you use the characters. I also want to see more modes that utilize amiibo. It would be cool to see at least three amiibo-specific modes under the "Amiibo" tab in Games and More. maybe something where you fight alongside them. Or maybe they could have Amiibo tournaments online. That would be pretty cool. I definitely want to see some sort of adventure mode like Melee's as well. A cool mode that really feels like your character is invading the world of other characters sounds really fun and cool.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Pff, Stage Builder on 3DS.

I'm quite envious of Wii U owners; the Stage Builder looks like a lot of fun and I've got pleanty of ideas for custom stages.

CaP_Omega

Smash Apprentice
Since we're talking fantasy, I guess it might be pretty cool to see a mode that makes the game feel really different. Here's the idea:

Border Smash Mode
  • Stages Available:
  1. Small or Medium in size, including ones with walk-offs
  2. Stages that have no damage or status hazards
  3. Custom stages that have no closed in areas
  • Walls:
  1. re-measured, from far off the outer edges of the stage, to every outer edge of the stage
  2. will change with the lengths of the stage as the available platforms switch through their set rotation
  3. Let a wall work like a solid obstacle. If a character is knocked against any wall 5 times in a row (regardless of tech), they lose a stock.
  • Ceilings:
  1. re-measured from the highest platform on the stage to equal a height twice that of Falco's jump
  2. Let a ceiling work as a solid obstacle. If a character is knocked against any ceiling 3 times in a row (regardless of tech), they lose a stock.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I really want to see Smash Run on the Wii U. And online. It was such a fun mode and actually made use of the custom moves and ability power ups. I feel like Smash Tour is a poor replacement for Smash Run. There's no real use of the power ups or custom moves, and it's not really fun at all.

Smash Run was a great replacement for the classic adventure mode or Subspace Emissary to me. It was random, had enemies from loads of different games, and lots of different areas to explore and see. It would be an easy port to the Wii U too, I think.

Other modes I'd like to see are the classic Break The Targets and Board the Platforms. Also, maybe some trophy-acquiring mini games other than Trophy Rush.

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
Nothing, I'm quite content with the now 50+ character multiplayer. Single players modes I just usually try to beat with every character, and then I never touch them again.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I personally would love a King of the hill esque mode to be played with 2-8 players. It could be a way of ensuring some clear objectives in a 8 free for all madness. plus a great way of making big stages more interesting since it kinda nullifies extremely runaway tactics... The hill could be something complex, as areas of the stages, or something more simple like a platform that appears in random places in the stage.

Plus, since it should make big stages a little more interesting (since now you cant win by running away) maybe 3v3 and 4v4 (and to an extent 2v2, or even 2v2v2)could evolve into something akin to a popular meta. Oh, and walkoff stages shouldnt be that terrible since you cant neither camp the walkoff the whole match.

It would be also amazing if the stage maker got updated to enable stuff like setting where this king platforms spawn, setting multiple respawns (including team respawns) and the stage maker stages could be played on 8 man smash. right now is posible to create unplayable stages, so it shouldn't be a concern that people could create bad stages with stupid respawns.
And while we are at updating the stage builder, some Great cave offensive "Danger Zones" would be quite welcome to enable roofed stages, while we are at it, also some treadmills and some circular moving platforms please :3

As for single player? while a SSE adventure could be cool, i kinda prefer them devoting the resources to actual gameplay stuff. Still, and Adventure mode akin to melee would be amazing, reusing assets from the smash run, and creating new assets to do world themed stages (mushroom kingdom, zelda dungeon, fire emblem castle, donkey kong jungle, etc...)
Then those extra assets could be used for both the stage maker and character specific "break the targets" and "board the platforms"

Although a metroidvania style universe as someone posted above would be quite impressive, but it would require a lot of design work.

Finally, if we can ask for some Fluff, i would love to get tools to "beautify" stage builder stages, while it's perfectly possible to make very interesting functional stages, it's pretty hard actually to not make them look ugly as sin :c .

I don't see an update of this proportion happening anytime soon though.. I got the feeling that they are putting all the resources into the 6 planned characters right now (which is quite ok in my book anyway, mewtwo, roy, lucas and ryu look gorgeous) and after those characters are done probably they will start pondering if keeping the DLC (I hope that they continue :D)

Top Bottom