• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 What did you guys think of the tournament?

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
I apologize if this has been posted before, but I didn't find such a thread about it....

I liked the hype before the tournament, but at first the Free-for-all matches with items on were a bit dull. Things started to heat up as we got closer to the finals.In my opinion the grand finals were really awesome!

The commentators were at the top of their game in my opinion - but this is really my first time hearing them in action.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Was really hype, and lots of fun. Mega Man's final smash in action made the tournament for me.

ChillerDuu

Smash Cadet
It's completely understandable ZeRo played to win like any sane competitor would. The sudden death at the end did make it a bit underwhelming but Nintendo is just now stepping in to the competitive scene with a new game no less. ZSS had a lot of mobility and range I feel might need to be tampered with a bit? Seems a bit much. Or maybe it's something we need to adapt to. I know HungryBox did with the run'n'shield against that side b. Absolutely thrilling.

Everyone went nuts over that Megaman Final Smash, and that ZSS Final Smash, WOW!

I hope Nintendo comes back with more tournaments. And personally, I'm hoping they'll do something closer to more... normal rules but I wont expect them to go completely to that. Maybe get rid of the whole sudden death thing. It really encouraged camping (which again, not the players fault).

I think it's a great start!

Last edited:

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
Everyone went nuts over that Megaman Final Smash, and that ZSS Final Smash, WOW!
That's an understatement man, D1 was going ****ing crazy, I don't think I've ever seen him like that, even in that one pools set with Kage. I'm not sure if it was genuine hype or if he was "playing it up" becuse it was a Nintendo sponsored event. Either way it was funny.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
The Sudden Death was underwhelming? That's the equivalent of overtime. It was a close match and there's no guarantee that ZeRo would have actually gotten that hit in first.

ChillerDuu

Smash Cadet
The Sudden Death was underwhelming? That's the equivalent of overtime. It was a close match and there's no guarantee that ZeRo would have actually gotten that hit in first.
Eh, I like it when tension is built up by the players to the end. Instead it came down to just the game making it for them with a 50/50 first hit wins deal. I'm just a guy who was never really down for Sudden Death. It's just me is all.

DarthLuigi36

Smash Cadet
NNID
CmonBlueFalcon
3DS FC
3823-8676-0627
Being in that theater was like nothing I've ever experienced. It was a ton of fun. I agree that the host seemed a bit... out of his element? Like, he's obviously hosted things before, but not Smash.

The celebrity rumble was very cool. I only recognized Zelda Williams out of the bunch, but her Greninja and that Bowser were amazing to watch. One of the best matches of the tournament, even with the Link player being completely incompetent.

I'd love to attend something like this again. It was an experience I won't forget.

Toukans

Smash Rookie
Went to the event in person. Truly an amazing experience!
The hype atmosphere and dramatic aesthetics added by Nintendo just made everything worth remembering. They did really well for their first hosted tourney! A really great way to show the game as well! Even though items and FFA might not be everyone's cup of tea(like me), it was still super fun to watch and I loved the crowd interactive voting thing.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Every moment that Geoff was onstage was a low point, just like I expected it would be. But...

Everything was pure magic. Sure the results to some matches were... less than ideal, but it was a for fun and display type of tourney where they wanted to showcase the unpredictability of Smash, so it makes sense. Just wish we could've seen more Ken, but seeing Mega Man's FS in that later round was well worth it.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Despite the fact that the ending of the Grand Finals was really disappointing, it was interesting to see this new Smash with this hype.

PsychoVillager

Smash Rookie
I loved the tournament but I saw 2 bad things:

- Female Villager is unacceptable. Psycho Villager must be there!!
- Too much smash balls, arceus… Hopefully it was just to make the tournament more visual.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
It was amazing.
The matches were very interesting, ZSS and Megamans final smashes were insane, everything was SO hype.
We got new information and Nintendo came many steps closer to the fanbase.
It was so great and I hope they do more of this stuff.

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I am very disappointed. Maybe its because I am not a child anymore but I turned off the finals match after 1 stock. It was very boring and the commentators were trying so hard to make something out of nothing.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
@ GrownCannoli GrownCannoli : There were some dull moments, but it got very tense the moment HBOX was able to break through Zero Suit's defensive layout. Kirby's spot dodge were spot on and that's when I was thinking, "Ok, this just got hype!"

But I'd hope Sakurai and Nintendo takes note of those frequent down times, it's hard to stay interested when your watching two people moving. That's the edge Melee and Project M have over Brawl in my opinion, speed typically makes people more excited as the action is more frequent and there's less down time. Then again people watch golf and shuffle boarding, so it's not like a slow pace can't draw a crowd, it simply draws a different crowd.

I'd actually like to make a topic for Brawl mains to rate the speed of SSB4, I haven't Brawl'd in awhile so I can't compare it well.

Generally I enjoyed most of the tournament, it was still a great watch with the crowd and the twitch chat. It was fun!

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
For a tournament played by people who got their hands on the game the very same day, hosted by someone like Geoff, and a little kept back with some obvious Nintendo restrictions (the commenting, even if awesome, was little bit held back I think, and from time to time they obviously told them to explain some features about the game which sounded forced), it was AMAZING.
Simply, utterly, amazingly funny.
It has to become a tradition, simple as that. Maybe next year we could have a competitive-only tournament, without items and with the skilled pros who were missing (Mew2King and Mango for example). This time it made sense to do it like this because well, the players wouldn't have had any idea how to play at their high levels anyway (Ken am cry).
Geoff was a little annoying at times (around the sixteenth time he asked people not to vote for Pikachu, I'd guess) but he was OK.
The commentators were good, again, they did the best they could with what they had.
The Media brawl and the Celebrity brawl were kinda random but whatever, Zelda <3.

Next time make it competitive-only, or at least make two tournaments, one for Fun and one for Glory, and maybe throw a couple of surprises in there (I think the Pac-Man reveal should've been at the end of the Invitational, but even Captain Falcon would've totally suffice really).

As far as the game goes, it looks fun as hell. I admit that around the middle of the Tournament I started to get bored a little but because they didn't have the full game at their disposal (new stages would've been neat, or at least a different one every time). The game looks fast when 1 on 1 and crazy when free-for-all.

Also, I didn't even talk about the best thing about it: it was basically a message. Nintendo is listening to the competitive players. Nintendo supports EVO. Nintendo supports the best Smash Bros. experience. Can't wait to see their presence this Summer (because Sm4sh is TOTALLY going to be there).

Malle

Smash Apprentice
I was just waiting for Bowser to get his hands on the Final Smash the whole time he was in the match.

I really wonder if he is still Giga Bowser or he gets the copter. If he has the same final smash I just wanna see how giga bowser looks like in HD. I mean, Bowser in the new Smash looks insanely ferocious, then what of Giga? :D

D

Deleted member

The tournament was a lot of fun!
The guys from the smash community all did a very good job, both players and commentators.

Geoff Keighley should've stayed in the back with his pack of doritos, he's simply inadequate for any leading role.

The whole tournament, while still pretty fun to watch, was mostly a celebration of the game.

It was good to see so many familair faces facing each other, even though the only real match was in the finals, and i loved how there was a compeltely different atmosphere during it, as expected.

Also the new rivalry between Reggie and HBox made my night, just the idea of it sounds so ridiculous that next year a showdown between the two might actually happen!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I enjoyed the tournament thoroughly. I had some friends over... some pizza... good times. I was rooting for HBox from the beginning, so it was a tiny bit sad to see him get KOed at SD.

In any case, I'm actually very upset at the competitive complainers. Please remember:

1. This is the competitors first time playing a new game. The metagame for SSB4 is non-existent.

2. Despite having an extensive Smash knowledge, the physics are different from Brawl.

3. It's a freaking Alpha version. There are going to be some snags in gameplay.

Carry on now.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
(the commenting, even if awesome, was little bit held back I think, and from time to time they obviously told them to explain some features about the game which sounded forced), it was AMAZING.
Am I the only one who expected this? This was a nintendo event. They're working under Nintendo's rules. Nintendo needs to make sure the audience understands what's going on. It wasn't just smashers who were watching this. The commentators did a great job and were immensely entertaining. If they had to explain the game a bit, so be it.

D

Deleted member

Also the Pikachu joke wasn't funny the first time, i don't see how repeating it a thousand times would make it better!

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I'M SO ANGRY BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE HAVING FUN AND THERE'S NO WAVEDASHING AND HOW DARE PEOPLE HAVE FUN I'M NEVER GOING TO BUY A SMASH BROS. GAME EVER AGAIN SAKURAI SO DUMB AND I SO ANGRY

It was pretty cool. I liked that one Greninja cosplayer, she was pretty neat.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
It didn't suck, that's for sure. It definitely served it's purpose and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Would have been nice to see more matches and have more of the roster involved, but you can't have it all. Everyone did a great job on selling this game. Hell, I want to play with items now. lol

D

Deleted member

It didn't suck, that's for sure. It definitely served it's purpose and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Would have been nice to see more matches and have more of the roster involved, but you can't have it all. Everyone did a great job on selling this game. Hell, I want to play with items now. lol
Well yeah a 4 players match with items sounds fun, but after the finals i'm pretty pumped to see how the game plays in a 1v1 scenario, i hope the partecipants will share some details of their experience with the game!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiptup

Smash Cadet
Interesting to see the items play out but most people were just waiting for the grand final to see how the real tournament rules would work out. To me it looked like this game is a very viable tournament game, maybe make it a 3 stock battle like brawl but no problem with that. Interesting to see how the characters played out as well. Overall great experience.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
Interesting to see the items play out but most people were just waiting for the grand final to see how the real tournament rules would work out.
Really, the items were so balanced and interesting. None of them felt like they overtook the game that much.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I thought the commentators were pretty brutal, but it's tough for anyone to follow a free-for-all. But they were clearly watching certain characters more than others. They didn't do a very good job explaining the match, or how smash works in general, to any newcomers. Also the way they announced the contenders was a bit weird, but I understand it was a hype live event and they were excited :D

Also it would have been preferable if they would have referred to players by their character and not their gamer tag. Easier to follow since the tags were not shown in-match.

Anyway it was fun to watch. I was sad to see how many vacant chairs there were in the audience though. Clearly an odd timeslot for a tournament -- mid-week? 4pm local time? oh well! fun timez :)

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
Great comments, everyone! I just wanted to say I liked the friendly banter between Hungrybox and Reggie Fils-Aime!

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Am I the only one who expected this? This was a nintendo event. They're working under Nintendo's rules. Nintendo needs to make sure the audience understands what's going on. It wasn't just smashers who were watching this. The commentators did a great job and were immensely entertaining. If they had to explain the game a bit, so be it.
But it gave us "MEGA MAN! SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT! FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WORLD!"

Top Bottom