• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What did you do when you first heard about brawl

some random guy

Smash Cadet
I said ''Holy Sh*t one more smash bros'' and i went to call my friends and i tripped on the laundry basket.What did you do?

Blackadder

Smash Master
Went straight to Wikipedia to find out MOAR!!!
I did this for a few months, then I thought "Maybe there are entire sites about Smash!"

The rest is history in the making. ;)

imabeast78

Smash Apprentice
Said YAY in my head, made a list of characters that I thought might make it, told my friends, found out as much info as I could on the plans for it, and prepared for a long winding road of rumors/ delays/ speculations/ announcements, and then began to brush back up on the original game and melee again.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I was at E3 2006 with the Advanced Media Network team. I'm not a part of them, but I know a few people and they got me to go as photographer.

I was disappointed that it was not announced during the initial press conference, but after playing games like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 during the first day, I was feeling pretty good. The entire team was walking up the staircase to floor 3 of our hotel, minus one, who was staying at the show floor for a "private thing." While walking up the stairs, I heard one guy reading a text message out loud. "Smash Bros. trailer now." I turned, looked down the stairs, and yelled "WHAT?!"

The text messages came rolling in and the 15-20 of us all huddled around to hear. Wario, Meta Knight, Kid Icarus, "Zero Suit" Samus, Nintendogs, ... and SOLID SNAKE?! We all thought he was pulling our leg. But then he told us to come pick him up, HE HAD THE TRAILER ON DISC, it needed to be uploaded!

Two guys immediately dropped everything and booked it out the door. The show floor was about a mile and a half away.

It dawned on me. I was the only one who drove there. I was the only one with a car. THE WEIGHT WAS ON MY SHOULDERS! I told everyone I needed a navigator and 4 guys ran with me to my car.

I must have been going twice the speed limit. It's a miracle I survived. I parked illegally as they all ran inside to find our man.

That was the most agonizing wait of all time. Knowing the trailer was coming INTO MY CAR TO SPREAD TO THE INTERNET!

After 5 long, long minutes, they called and said where to meet them. My car packed, and the laptop opened. They hit the play button as I was racing back to the hotel. I WAS HEARING THE EPIC MUSIC AND ALL THE SOUND EFFECTS OH GOD I WANTED TO SEE IT!

At a stop light they paused it for me, on the shot that showed everyone before Wario's fart. MY FIRST LOOK! OH GOD I WAS SO EXCITED!

We ran upstairs and began the upload, and then huddled everyone around to watch it.

It was bliss.

I nearly fell on the floor during the shot that Pit and Meta Knight are both flying upwards fighting.

I will never forget that day. :D

Blackadder

Smash Master
I was at E3 2006 with the Advanced Media Network team. I'm not a part of them, but I know a few people and they got me to go as photographer.

I was disappointed that it was not announced during the initial press conference, but after playing games like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 during the first day, I was feeling pretty good. The entire team was walking up the staircase to floor 3 of our hotel, minus one, who was staying at the show floor for a "private thing." While walking up the stairs, I heard one guy reading a text message out loud. "Smash Bros. trailer now." I turned, looked down the stairs, and yelled "WHAT?!"

The text messages came rolling in and the 15-20 of us all huddled around to hear. Wario, Meta Knight, Kid Icarus, "Zero Suit" Samus, Nintendogs, ... and SOLID SNAKE?! We all thought he was pulling our leg. But then he told us to come pick him up, HE HAD THE TRAILER ON DISC, it needed to be uploaded!

Two guys immediately dropped everything and booked it out the door. The show floor was about a mile and a half away.

It dawned on me. I was the only one who drove there. I was the only one with a car. THE WEIGHT WAS ON MY SHOULDERS! I told everyone I needed a navigator and 4 guys ran with me to my car.

I must have been going twice the speed limit. It's a miracle I survived. I parked illegally as they all ran inside to find our man.

That was the most agonizing wait of all time. Knowing the trailer was coming INTO MY CAR TO SPREAD TO THE INTERNET!

After 5 long, long minutes, they called and said where to meet them. My car packed, and the laptop opened. They hit the play button as I was racing back to the hotel. I WAS HEARING THE EPIC MUSIC AND ALL THE SOUND EFFECTS OH GOD I WANTED TO SEE IT!

At a stop light they paused it for me, on the shot that showed everyone before Wario's fart. MY FIRST LOOK! OH GOD I WAS SO EXCITED!

We ran upstairs and began the upload, and then huddled everyone around to watch it.

It was bliss.

I nearly fell on the floor during the shot that Pit and Meta Knight are both flying upwards fighting.

Assuming that's all true, that's goddamm epic win on your half. :laugh::)
SWF salutes, brave Smash-crazed soldier!

Kokirikory FTW!!

EDIT:
Yeah, I quoted that long message for my short one for teh lulz.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
If you mean when it was annouced in 2005 that "Super Smash Bros. Revoultion" was in the works, I became extremely happy.

And when the 06 trailer hit I went bat**** insanely happy :D.

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
I said
"Finally!"
"pit sounds like younglink"
"Why do they make Wario so strange"
"Metaknight, cool he should of been in melee...."

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Assuming that's all true, that's goddamm epic win on your half. :laugh::)
SWF salutes, brave Smash-crazed soldier!

Kokirikory FTW!!

EDIT:
Yeah, I quoted that long message for my short one for teh lulz.
Thanks man! But the reward was in itself! :)

okiyama

Smash Ace
I joined Smash Boards then saw the Brawl discussion thing, went to the Dojo then I looked through it and told my friends the next day.

Nothing drastic.

Reckoning A16

Smash Apprentice
I remember watching the Intro in school with a friend where Snake saying " IT'S SHOW TIME!! " almost 2 years ago..actually it might of been 2.. wow, I cant believe it has been that long, I was a Freshmen in High school!!! But it was funny, are reaction at Snake - Priceless

I also remember that because are school computers **** the vid lagged a bit and it stopped at ZSS @$$ for 1-2 minutes, by that time we had everyone in the class looking at the screen lol

shipoffools

Smash Journeyman
i was like epic when my friend showed me the trailor on his ipod. i was so pumped and still am.

supa*

Smash Cadet
My words exactly? Who the he11 is Snake? And why is he in a Box...

Lol, I was such a noob back then...

Then I actually educated myself on him, played his GC game, etc.

It just so happens he's one of my favorite videogame characters now. :D

Blakethefox

Smash Rookie
My first impression after watching the trailer was like "OMFG :D:D"

After that I called my friends, and found about the Dojo.
On those days, there were no daily updates and no new things.

The only thing I could do was to wait impatiently and to watch the trailer over and over and over....

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
I found out about it one day in school on a message board that I used to go to before it closed (but it recently re-opened again =D).

I was looking at the list and was thinking that Snake was a joke or something.

I didn't get to see the trailer until that Friday, because I was in 8th Grade and it was like, May and they were doing a ton of "high school preparation". I didn't have any time to see it until that Friday, because of the overkill amount of homework they gave us. When I finally saw it, I almost died at the sight of Snake. I thought a 3rd party character was impossible (let alone 2 or 3)!

Ojanya

Smash Ace
All I could think of was...

The music.... holy ****....the music...

SkarmoryDarkPulse

Smash Rookie
i found a trailer of it on youtube around the time a trailer was released and was amazed by the upgraded look and final smashes (of course i didnt know what they were back then but, you get the picture)

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
My friend said he was going to show it to me and I was like, "What is so exciting?" And he was like, "You'll see in a second." He kept me waiting there forever and finally showed me the trailer. My mouth was wide open. I thought to myself, "Who is that G I Joe guy?" At the end lol. This was way before the Dojo. For a long while I saw that trailer like a million times and it got boring actually :(. I forgot about it after a while until I picked up my Nintendo Power in May. I got near to the end of it and I saw a thing specifically saying that smashbros.com would be starting their updates on May 22nd. I was syked for the day that would mark the start of my in-depthness of smash. I liked the game b4 but never had a huge interest in it until a while. Rest is history ^.^.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
It was awesome, I was talking to my friend about E3 and how there had been no smash news unfortunately (it wasn't shown in their press conference which was rather strange), then I went to IGN (to show him some trailer) and saw the announcement and was like freaking sweet.

Maruku

Smash Cadet
WEST Tijuana BC Mexico(Right Next to California)
i was at my school (playing melee actually) when a friend of mine came in and asked if we had seen the trailer

we where all "OMG...Metaknight..Pit...Wario....!!!" etc as he was telling us all about the video

then another guy comes along after hearing us and says

"oh the smash trailer....yeah i have it on my ipod want to watch it..."

so then like 20 people gather to watch the trailer (i was the one with the headphones) in a 30g ipod

the rest of the day was about character speculations

got home and downloaded the trailer for myself

ah good times...

Jacobcc

Smash Journeyman
I really didn't know what to do..i first found out about it on a Game website called Play.com. Of course back then it said the game was coming out December 3rd but, as we all know changed and got delayed several times:(

but yeah the moment i found out about Brawl i was in shock, i noticed there were trailers on IGN.com. So i watched them and got even more excited!:grin:

LuigiTendo

Smash Apprentice
What did I do?

Hmmm...I was at the library at the time *OF e3 the day it was announced*

Thought I'd see what had happened whilst I was there, so I went to the computer room. I logged onto ign.com and saw the large front page add. and

I AM SERIOUS
My chair tipped backwards. I could not believe the game of dreams was finally coming out! The third of the "trilogy"! And on the wii too! This was just too good.

I then proceeded to refresh the page like every 5 minutes to see if anything new happened, yep. did that for about a week....then I finally caught on. There wasn't gonna be anything new...

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
I thought, awesome, Wii, then AWESOME, SMASH, THEN WTF? SNAKE!?!

brawl_maniac

Smash Journeyman

It was bliss.

Man you were one lucky person.
When i first saw it, my brother called me on my razr and he told me it was about to show, i ran to the tv, tripping over my shoelace and ramming into someone, and when i saw it i was literally jumping around like a freaking maniac(that's why my username is brawl_maniac).Then, when Snake was shown, i almost peed myself(almost, but i didn't).Then i started cheering and and praying to God.:chuckle::chuckle:

Zezzl

Smash Rookie
Everybody knew there was going to be a Third Smash bros. but I was watching a Live Webcast of E3 when they First showed the Trailer, I almost Crapped myself, I was just in shock! The amount of Change from Melee to Brawl is Astounding!

saud

Smash Lord
The first time I heard about it was during E3 when Satoru Iwata announced it (it was also supposed to be a launch title.)

I went...#$%& VC, #$%& backwards compatibility, ^%&# all other games on the Revolution, this game is all I will need on it. Called my cousins and brother to tell them the great news :D

Top Bottom