• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What did the people who played it think? (Especially the invitational players and the CT members)

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I played it for hours. It's a fun game! I actually love it aside from a few obvious things that I
Tweet from Prog: "The game is a work in progress, but they are listening and asking for advice. For that and the opportunity, #ThankYouNintendo".

Tweet from PewPewU: "Thoughts on smash 4: it lacked pace. That's all i'll say for now". He also tweeted that "it's very fixable!"
Does lack pace mean it's not very fast paced, or the pace just isn't consistent?

Last edited:

Dax

Smash Journeyman
Game isn't out, and these guys had less than a day to play. Sakurai has been making the game for 2 years. It's likely he knows some things that we don't. Meta Knight was thought to be mid tier when Brawl released. Samus might very well be as good as Sakurai claims.
yeah sure. I'm also confident that he knew about Dedede's chaingrab that was discovered by Ikki after 5 minutes of playing a preview demo in a shop and left it on because he was all right with it... or grab releases.
After all, he's the same that removed wavedashing because "We felt that there was a growing gap between beginners and advanced players, and taking that out helps to level the playing field. [...] we were building the game around the idea of making it fair for everybody, it just made sense to take it out."

He then proceeded to put in those chaingrabs to make it fair for everybody. :)

I kinda had some respect for Peachyhime and loved the way she played, not watching another game with this ungrateful little...remarkable citizen again. She gets invited to the biggest Smash event of Nintendo history and then she pulls this? I mean, REALLY!? I would still be hyperventilating after being on the same stage as Sakurai and (To a much lesser extent) the Dorito Pope himself.
glad she's not as much of a fanboy like you, then.

Last edited:

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
I played it for hours. It's a fun game! I actually love it aside from a few obvious things that I

Does lack pace mean it's not very fast paced, or the pace just isn't consistent?
In advanced FG terms Lack of Pace means a lack of inertia when switching among defensive, neutral and offensive play. It could mean something like losing momentum from aggressive play instead of gaining it, control of the match switching around too suddenly, being unable to maintain a steady neutral game (Because too much mobility) or something of the sort.
Translation: playing does not feel (fighting game) organic and you can't control how the match goes.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Nintendo is receiving feedback from everyone on the game. They care! They want to know what can be done. The game can't be improved on if she isn't going to contribute.
Lol, no they don't. If they cared they wouldn't be releasing Brawl 2.0. Smash 4 is pretty much dead for half of the community already so lets quit pretending like they actually care if the game is a decent competitive successor to Melee.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman

In advanced FG terms Lack of Pace means a lack of inertia when switching among defensive, neutral and offensive play. It could mean something like losing momentum from aggressive play instead of gaining it, control of the match switching around too suddenly, being unable to maintain a steady neutral game (Because too much mobility) or something of the sort.
Translation: playing does not feel (fighting game) organic and you can't control how the match goes. Or what you guessed the second time, consistency.

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Which ones? Just the one that asked? Should Sakurai stop developing the game to address the individual concerns of every competitive smash player? If someone actually asked that question, they weren't thinking.
Nobody said he should stop developing the game. It's just that people have enough confidence to say "Yes, I can HELP and give you valuable feedback."

Disclaimer: I have no clue if this guy was being condescending towards Sakurai.

Last edited:

Reoyoshi8

Smash Apprentice
Lol, no they don't. If they cared they wouldn't be releasing Brawl 2.0. Smash 4 is pretty much dead for half of the community already so lets quit pretending like they actually care if the game is a decent competitive successor to Melee.
Well, aren't you a negative nancy?
We don't of even have all the playable characters, yet you guys are turning your nose at an unfinished game.

Shroob

Sup?
Half? I highly doubt that the majority of Brawl copies that were sold were bought by 'competitive' players. 11.49 million Brawl copies sold as of 2013, mind you. Smash competitive scene is not nearly 6 million people, bub.

Last edited:

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
yeah sure. I'm also confident that he knew about Dedede's chaingrab that was discovered by Ikki after 5 minutes of playing a preview demo in a shop and left it on because he was all right with it... or grab releases.
There are chain grabs in Melee. Have you even seen wobbling?
After all, he's the same that removed wavedashing because "We felt that there was a growing gap between beginners and advanced players, and taking that out helps to level the playing field. [...] we were building the game around the idea of making it fair for everybody, it just made sense to take it out."
Which one is it? Do you want advanced techs or not?

He then proceeded to put in those chaingrabs to make it fair for everybody. :)
So you don't want him removing wavedashing, but you want him to remove chain grabs. Because you say so?

-Whiplash-

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silva-Silva
3DS FC
4527-7465-9250

So you don't want him removing wavedashing, but you want him to remove chain grabs. Because you say so?
That's what Sakurai seems to feel, but in reverse.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Warning Received
I actually really loved it, it was so enjoyable to play unlike project M. It looked fantastic as well. Unlike others I am not going to groan, piss, and moan about it not being Melee 2.0 Sorry guys, time to grow up from your precious Melee. It's time to take off the diaper and put on big boy pants and accept everything is not the same and you can't always get what you want when you cry. :)

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Translation: playing does not feel (fighting game) organic and you can't control how the match goes.
I see. Thank you.

Last edited:

Dax

Smash Journeyman
There are chain grabs in Melee.
First: You can influence a lot with DI any chaingrab in Melee. They're about skills, and completely different.
Second: that's not the point. The point isn't "chaingrabs are bad". Is Sakurai's logic.

There are chain grabs in Melee.
Have you even seen wobbling?
Sure, that takes skills to do too. It's probably the only thing I'm not too much of a fan, though. A bit too strong, and no way to escape.

Huh? Sure I do. I wasn't talking about ATs.
I was talking about his absolute inability to understand what makes a game "fair" or "balanced". Removing ATs doesn't make it "more fair" - especially if you are unable to balance it anyway giving proper landing lags and stuff, just like it happened with Brawl.
He proceeded to remove wavedashing, only to put in way worse things such as laser lock.

Curious, huh?
(hint: true reason being he didn't even notice they existed)

Sounds like you haven't understood my post at all. I don't want him to remove chain grabs, I can't care less. I was just laughing at your post claiming that "since he's on the game since two years he knows".
The reason I linked Ikki's video was to dispute your claim that "he knows".
No, no he doesn't, like he didn't back then. He doesn't know a thing about balance and he's proved it, so I'm gonna believe HugS and not him.
He barely got the NTSC to PAL Melee fixes right, that's all about I can congrat with him.

Last edited:

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
I actually really loved it, it was so enjoyable to play unlike project M. It looked fantastic as well. Unlike others I am not going to groan, piss, and moan about it not being Melee 2.0 Sorry guys, time to grow up from your precious Melee. It's time to take off the diaper and put on big boy pants and except everything is not the same and you can't always get what you want when you cry. :)
you sure you don't want to edit that comment because you are embarrassing yourself

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I'm happy I don't even know about things like wave dashing, ledge guarding, and so forth. As long as I find the game fun, I'll be happy with it.

I've played the same way since 64, and I'll continue on. Guess I'm a casual player.

Regardless, judging from the amount of people I heard saying this was Super Smash Bros. 2, I'm sure that it will get it's own huge following regardless of the outcome. There will probably be a ton of people that think this is the first game in the series as well, sadly.

Each game has it's ups and downs for people, but I've loved them all.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
lol @ people thinking Sakurai might know how good characters actually are (at a competitive level).

Samus could turn out to be the best (though he will probably make her worse by thinking she's too good), but it would probably not be because of Sakurais reasons.

The guy thinks Ganondorf is the best in Brawl, doesn't he?

Not hating on Sakurai, but he really doesn't have a clue and would probably get ***** by anyone who's playing competitively.
Though he did say he doesn't want to cater to 1vs1 with no items. He needs to look at every mode and FFAs too. It definitely isn't easy (maybe impossible) to balance if you have to balance the characters at so many different modes.

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
I actually really loved it, it was so enjoyable to play unlike project M. It looked fantastic as well. Unlike others I am not going to groan, piss, and moan about it not being Melee 2.0 Sorry guys, time to grow up from your precious Melee. It's time to take off the diaper and put on big boy pants and accept everything is not the same and you can't always get what you want when you cry. :)
Whoah its like I am really on neogaf. So surreal.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
I just got home from Best Buy. Couple of observations from the 2 matches we were allowed (probably have been stated already)

1) The pro controller wireless is awful. So much input lag and the default buttons are terrible (though I know that can be customized later). Thank God for the Gamecube peripheral coming out.

2) Anyone notice that when you roll, you face the same way still? When I played Mega-Man, I rolled forward and continued facing forward when I came out. In Brawl, I seem to remember facing the opposite direction out of a roll.

3) Little Mac seemed fantastic in the 4 player free for all, but I didn't feel like he'd do well 1v1. All of my KOs as him (I won both my matches) came from charging the neutral special or getting a jab+jab+jab (mash) + finish at high percent.

4) Mega-Man I hated, though that's probably just personal preference. His smash attacks (at least the non-projectile ones) seemed to have lag, enough to the point where you can't do much after landing them, or get punished for missing. His grabs are great though, especially on walk-off stages.

5) The hit-stun is better than Brawl, but it didn't feel impossible to DI out of powerful hits.

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, definitely, I'm not saying that I'm expecting a metaknight #2 situation, just that I personally can't take Sakurai's "Samus's top tier you guys" comment at face value at all.

As for the topic at hand, this was posted in another thread:

Was she rude? Yes. I am not a fan of how she went about this post. Not digging it. Nope.

BUT props for having a honest opinion and not having a company wine and dine you just so you can have a bribed opinion.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
I was at bestbuy at the smash fest today and i can tell you with certainty. I played 2 games of Wii U and a round of smash run on 3DS. It is very very very much like brawl. Still too floaty, too much lag after attacks to follow up and movement options are nill, it is very restricted.

I liked it and will get it, but unless they make MAJOR changes it won't be much better than brawl for competitive play. The melee and pm crowd and competitive crowd won't accept it.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
BUT props for having a honest opinion and not having a company wine and dine you just so you can have a bribed opinion.
I agree, it'd do nobody any good if they withheld their honest opinions. A lot of melee fans who enjoy either playing or watching comp Melee/PM would feel the same way if they were thinking, "This is going to be in between Brawl and Melee." Then they noticed it was more like playing Brawl on 1.25 speed. But I wonder why she thinks Nintendo will end Project M soon.

EDIT: Although I didn't know she played Project M, I can only find her matches from 8+ months ago. (+grammer correction)

Last edited:

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
I was at bestbuy at the smash fest today and i can tell you with certainty. I played 2 games of Wii U and a round of smash run on 3DS. It is very very very much like brawl. Still too floaty, too much lag after attacks to follow up and movement options are nill, it is very restricted.

I liked it and will get it, but unless they make MAJOR changes it won't be much better than brawl for competitive play. The melee and pm crowd and competitive crowd won't accept it.
I'm reserving judgement here because we were forced to use the WiiU Pro controller, which lags A LOT on its own, and because we were forced into a high-item, 4 player free for all match. It's tough to say from the Best Buy experience how much it'll be played competitively.

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
Then they noticed it was more like playing Brawl on 1.25 speed.
Ugh... I mean thats not bad I don't mind brawl, hell I would practice that **** and go competitive if there was a stronger scene around me but... I mean, I haven't played it but it seems they traded in Tripping for just really restrictive dashing.

Hyruleslink

Smash Journeyman
Well when Sakurai decided to leave Brawl's balancing up to himself, we got Metaknight, so I can't say I have the biggest faith in his judgment of Samus' power. I'm sorry but I'm past giving Sakurai the benefit of the doubt.
Facts determined what you just said to be FALSE. When Sakurai balanced himself, what you got was Melee. When Sakurai had a team of four people balancing, what you got was Brawl.

Opinions can be fun, but are often wrong.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I just got home from Best Buy. Couple of observations from the 2 matches we were allowed (probably have been stated already)

1) The pro controller wireless is awful. So much input lag and the default buttons are terrible (though I know that can be customized later). Thank God for the Gamecube peripheral coming out.
We had so many people at our Best Buy they had to lower the amount of matches to 1. So I didn't get much chance to play around. I absolutely agree though that the Pro Controller is god awful. It's really, really bad.

Maybe it's my Brawl competitiveness kicking in, but I never rolled, at all. I shield-grabbed everything as Rosalina.

All I can really say is it feels much closer to Brawl than it does to Melee, in terms of speed and pace. However, it does appear to be easier to KO your opponents overall.

But really, it's impossible to get a full impression with 1 or 2 matches. So my judgement is reserved.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
I'm reserving judgement here because we were forced to use the WiiU Pro controller, which lags A LOT on its own, and because we were forced into a high-item, 4 player free for all match. It's tough to say from the Best Buy experience how much it'll be played competitively.
First party wireless controllers don't lag. It was much more likely the TV/monitor used that was laggy.

D

Deleted member

If I may offer an idea, wasn't the Brawl demo at E3 years ago run with an engine similar to Melee's (that was obviously changed upon release)? If this is true, then is it not plausible that they did the same here, running the game on an engine similar to Brawl whilst planning to change to the true Smash 4 engine upon release?

Just an idea going off past evidence (maybe?), correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
Was she rude? Yes. I am not a fan of how she went about this post. Not digging it. Nope.

But all around, she was a huge ***** about it at the end of the day. It boils down to, don't like it? Don't play it. You can speak your mind and give criticism, sure, but the way she worded it was just piss poor and very condescending.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
I got to play 2 matches 2 minutes each 4 player FFA items on on smash 4 at best buy. I played as zelda first to get a feel for the mechanics and the weird pro controler. The second match I played as Wii Fit Trainer. I won both matches.

Mobilty isn't any better than brawl, though some characters seem to roll and run faster.

Zelda

Zelda's fair and bair felt really easy to hit but they never got me a KO. Uptilt didn't seem to KO either. ftitl felt the same as brawl. I didn't get to test dtilt. Small characters can duck under her grab. Bthrow is still her KO throw. Her new down B phantom knight thing leaves her completely immobile for a long time. And its not hard to jump over. It goes really when its charged all the way up like 3/5 of the new smash vile. The immobilty and long charge and cool down time of it didn't make it that usefull though. Side B is smaller than brawls when it explodes. Her final smash is still the same as brawl.

Wii Fit Trainer

This character is weird. Her attacks don't really hit the way you expect them to. She has two projectiles. the volley ball just seems like somthing to pester the opponent, I forgot to test if it could be charged. The sun salutatio thing charges the longer you hold it. I didn't check to see if you can store the charge. I don't remember if the sun thing was sideB or neutral B. I didn't understand how deep brething worked but i got it to work once. It automatically gives you a fully charged sun salutation.

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
I got to play 2 matches 2 minutes each 4 player FFA items on on smash 4 at best buy. I played as zelda first to get a feel for the mechanics and the weird pro controler. The second match I played as Wii Fit Trainer. I won both matches.

Mobilty isn't any better than brawl, though some characters seem to roll and run faster.

Zelda

Zelda's fair and bair felt really easy to hit but they never got me a KO. Uptilt didn't seem to KO either. ftitl felt the same as brawl. I didn't get to test dtilt. Small characters can duck under her grab. Bthrow is still her KO throw. Her new down B phantom knight thing leaves her completely immobile for a long time. And its not hard to jump over. It goes really when its charged all the way up like 3/5 of the new smash vile. The immobilty and long charge and cool down time of it didn't make it that usefull though. Side B is smaller than brawls when it explodes. Her final smash is still the same as brawl.

Wii Fit Trainer

This character is weird. Her attacks don't really hit the way you expect them to. She has two projectiles. the volley ball just seems like somthing to pester the opponent, I forgot to test if it could be charged. The sun salutatio thing charges the longer you hold it. I didn't check to see if you can store the charge. I don't remember if the sun thing was sideB or neutral B. I didn't understand how deep brething worked but i got it to work once. It automatically gives you a fully charged sun salutation.
thanks for the zelda info! We could use more info in the character page so feel free to share there as well as many other zelders would appreciate it

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Here's how my demo went:

Gameplay: Felt to me like Brawl with the speed, gravity, and stun turned up a couple of notches. Its a little hard to tell this early though, 4-player's a bit too frantic; I was focusing more on not dying. Plus my character choice may have influenced this.

Smash Run: Plays exactly as described: run around a maze for five minutes killing enemies and getting power ups and then do a one-minute match. I can see myself playing this a lot just cause I loved Air Ride.

Villager: Does NOT seem to be a free for all character, at least I didn't feel like he was. Doesn't seem to have a great "get off me" move. Neutral air felt like crap, forward and back air are projectiles and up air and down air do variable amounts of damage. His ground moves had really short range, especially Bowling ball, which I think is better used for edge guarding than knocking people off stage. Net throws felt awesome. His rocket was super fun to use, but the knockback felt like it should be better. Balloon Trip is weird to use and Timber felt like it might take too long to set up in a 1v1. Overall he felt a bit sluggish. I think he'll be better suited for a keepaway sort of style against a single opponent. After watching the Treehouse footage though I can now say that I'm excited to break him open on release.

Kirby: Felt like Brawl Kirby with a chargable hammer. Most significant things: down throw almost had too much knock back for follow ups. We'll see, but it's looking like a poor man's up throw right now. The rapid jab ender mechanic they added triggers when you finish mashing A, rather than after a set amount of jabs like I thought. Because the hammer charges now you can't really carry yourself through the air anymore. Hammercopter was one of my favorite things. Oh well. Stone start up is still too slow to be useful in a 1v1.

Those were my impressions. I really had fun playing!

Top Bottom