• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What did the people who played it think? (Especially the invitational players and the CT members)

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Competitive players are valuable for testing because they find exploits / overpowered things quickly or ways to deal with things that were previously thought to be overpowered. It's easier to balance a game when you have team members who actually know what is good.

Does that mean that competitive players automatically know how to design a game? No.

Does that mean that competitive players tend to be useful for a game development team? Absolutely.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Heard the audio when the question was asked. It was all lighthearted, Sakurai's tone was amicable when he asked if the guy has made a game before, it wasn't intended to make him look bad or dismiss any potential talent he may had. And then he just told him about the staff being full already so that it would be difficult to include him.
Needless to say, the true sentiment of the response cannot be fully conveyed when you write it down so of course some people will just jump to baseless accusations of Sakurai being a jerk.
My japanese listening is a little rough around the edges but I'm certain of it.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
Funny how people are bashing PeachyHime's Facebook message that was posted earlier.
At least she's being freaking honest about what she thinks and the majority of the competitive players that were watching the stream that were not brainwashed by the 'hype' of MegaMan's final smash probably felt the same way.
To me, Brawl was terrible, and this game seems to follow the trend.
I'm not going to mention names, but a lot of the people that were invited seem to be sellouts to Nintendo and just make it seem like this is the best game ever, which it is obviously not and it disgusts me.
It's not like they are going to take any advice and shift the game into the right direction. "Have you ever made a game?"
It's not like they are ever going to create another game like Melee, Sakurai even said this in 2010.
It's not like they care about the competitive community at all.

Competitive smash just got a huge traffic spike over the past couple of years, and Nintendo is just taking advantage of popular players.
Wake up and realize you were puppets used by Nintendo to promote Brawl 2.0.

EOF
Dat Truth tho.

Zone

Smash Champion
Competitive players are valuable for testing because they find exploits / overpowered things quickly or ways to deal with things that were previously thought to be overpowered. It's easier to balance a game when you have team members who actually know what is good.

Does that mean that competitive players automatically know how to design a game? No.

Does that mean that competitive players tend to be useful for a game development team? Absolutely.

Depends, they don't know how to program, or cost reward an time issues with what's possible.

But they know risk reward, what's fun, and fun to watch. What pleases people who like a tall mountain to climb.

I think they are good for deciding on good mechanics as well, not just to find broken things.

MelchizedekVD

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-4632-2309
I'm maintaining faith in this game for many reasons, but I think that it is important to note that Sakurai reminded us on several accounts, including during E3 and on stage before the Invitational, that the game is still in progress and to please bare with them. There are some ways to go still, so even though the framework is done there are still some patches to be smoothed over and etc.

Not to mention that pretty much all of the matches I've seen of Smash 4 have been a 4v4 w/ items, so how can that possibly measure up to the true potential of this game? The closest look we got was the Invitational GF, and it didn't disappoint there. He's doing all he can to ensure a balance that adheres to Vets and Newcomers alike. We just need a little faith in him.

Still a little jealous that my Falco hasn't been released, but the hype is building evermore!

Top Bottom