• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What did I do wrong?

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
A few months ago, I lent my friend a copy of Melee in order to try and get him into Smash and so I could keep playing Brawl. Over the course of this time, events transpired that caused me to not like Brawl. I wasn't going to just demand my copy of Melee back like a jerk, so I borrowed a copy from my other friend. Recently, Friend B requested his copy back. So I asked Friend A if he had been playing Melee very much and he said no, and that he hadn't even unlocked everybody. So that pretty much failed.

Yesterday, I invited Friend B over to pick up his copy and spend the night. When we played Melee, I pulled out all sorts of tech skill that I had been practicing for months on him. He didn't even notice except for he said "Nice Wavedashing" at one point when I was Luigi. What's worse is, today before he left, he put Brawl in and started playing that.

So what did I do wrong here? Also, sorry for the wall o' text.

Neverender

Smash Journeyman
Don't be so biased towards one game. I mean, if your friend like barwl accept that he likes it. We all know the better game.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Does he like brawl better, or does he just like it? Either way, like Neverender said, we all know the better game.

Smash Master
Beat him without wavedashing. Then explain jump-cancelled grabs, l-cancelling, and the like. If he sucks, he'll like brawl anyway because it's easy, so just beat him mercilessly. If he's a good friend to game with, he'll become more interested in the depth melee has to offer.

Or you can compromise and play hacked brawl.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
Does he like brawl better, or does he just like it? Either way, like Neverender said, we all know the better game.
Well, he doesn't have a Wii, and therefore doesn't have Brawl, so it's still got that "Ooh shiny" effect. Maybe I could MK him. If I can actually bring myself to play Brawl again.

Beat him without wavedashing. Then explain jump-cancelled grabs, l-cancelling, and the like. If he sucks, he'll like brawl anyway because it's easy, so just beat him mercilessly. If he's a good friend to game with, he'll become more interested in the depth melee has to offer.

Or you can compromise and play hacked brawl.
I've beaten him without wavedashing before I even got that tech skill because I was always better (he doesn't suck, I'm just better). Also, I'm pretty sure he knows what all the tech stuff is, I just want to spur him into learning it because I know he'd do that. The problem is that there's no one else I can really game with in anything, so yeah.

Thanks for the responses.

Binx

Smash Master
Q: What did I do wrong

A: besides playing brawl in the first place? Lol, umm nothing really, your friend just doesn't want to try hard to learn the game, he is probably one of those super casuals who would rather play a game that takes less time, effort, practice, and skill to play.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Haha, do I know friends like that, god. You are you, sadly you can't make a friend who is GOOD at melee and can be better at it to put effort into it. All you can do is hope to play people that are better than you and get better, I guess.

Top Bottom