• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What controls do you use?

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
I was just curious what other wolf mains use as their controls. I use the c-stick set to special for auto RAR and stage scarring as well as the X button to grab. I have R set to jump but I only really use it for other characters.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
Only custom control i use is Tap Jump set to off.

But my friend D-mo, who I play the most with, uses Z for attack (For slidetossing a different way), X for grab, and tap jump on.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I just use the defaults except turning Tap Jump off too. The tap jump throws me off pretty bad.

Heroes_Never_Die

Smash Journeyman
Tap Jump off
L - Attack
X - Grab
Rest - Default

I use L when i cancel dash attack into Usmash.
I use X to grab because I just find it easier.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
I think almost everyone other than noobs turn tap jump off. That's pretty interesting though that you use L as attack and Juggalo's friend uses z for slide tossing. Overall I haven't really found slide tossing to be very useful but maybe I'm wrong.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I think almost everyone other than noobs turn tap jump off..
:ohwell:

I leave it on. I've never been able to jump or SH correctly using X/Y. I just change the c-stick to attack instead of smash so I can do utilts.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
slidetossing, glidetossing, whatever its called, is where you shield, c-stick toss an item, then (while still shielding) hit left or right in rapid succession to cancel out the first few frames of a roll. You can do it while running.

Think of it as a half-wavedash after throwing an item.
It only works for character items, like Diddy's bananas, Link's bombs, Rob's spinning top, because those are the only items that can be thrown via C-stick
If you use an alternate setup to throw it, it works for all items. I'm just too c-stick reliant to change it to something else. :)

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
Tap Jump off and Y as Grab. I'm contemplating whether L would be more useful as jump (to get SH Fairs using the C-Stick) or attack (for Dash Attack Canceled Usmashes.)

D

Deleted member

Currently, the only option I have off is Tap Jump... but I use two tags (one with it on, the other without), and I switch back and forth depending on matches and characters... if it weren't for the tag conflict, I'd still be using Claw... but w/e...

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
I've left everything the same expect for when im playing with lucas(which then I just switch names). Tap Jump doesnt bother me either, so I keep it their unless I feel like it..meh

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
I forgot. I have R set to jump but I only really use that when playing other characters.

I'm very surprised that I'm the only one here who uses c-stick as special. You guys are aware that if you're running forward and tap the c-stick in the opposite direction (while its set to special) you will jump backward but keep your forward momentum, right? This is known as auto RAR ,or reverse aerial rush. I've been using this very effectively to lead into bairs. Whenever an opponent is trying to recover off the stage I just run to the edge, use this tech, and hit my opponent with a bair. Its a much higher hit percentage than a spike and is almost as effective. It also makes for a great approach. It's by far the most useful tech I've found for wolf. You guys should try it out.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
I dont like the c-stick special for the simple fact that it doesnt work well in my opinion with wolf. As well as that, I can RAR at a good enough speed to were I dont need to use the auto RAR. And if you want to get technical, one of the ways I Wall Of wolf is through the use of bairs. So this is already common knowledge as well that a RAR Bair from wolf is an awesome edgegaurd, although some people may not want to, although it is advised to learn.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
I can RAR without c-stick too but I've found that once I get my opponent off the edge it saves vital frames by using the c-stick. It helps me get to my opponent that split second earlier that can make the difference between getting a KO and letting them recover. Also its not like you can't do quick smash attacks without c-stick.

havocnetwork

Smash Cadet
I have to use a wii controller...

so.. I configured it differently

on the nunchuck

z - shield
c - grab
stick - jumping and directions

wiimote

a - attack
b - special

Then that original nintendo thing that looks like a +

up is usmash
side is fsmash
down is dsmash

1 = taunt 1
2 = taunt 2

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
I can RAR without c-stick too but I've found that once I get my opponent off the edge it saves vital frames by using the c-stick. It helps me get to my opponent that split second earlier that can make the difference between getting a KO and letting them recover. Also its not like you can't do quick smash attacks without c-stick.
I understand what your saying since I still use the c stick special when im playing lucas, but other then that, I still prefer just the normal controls with wolf simply because its more comfortable for me when im playing him.

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
See, the problem I forsee if I use it for specials is that I'll only ever use the C-stick for Auto-RARing and Up-B. While I use the smash C-stick for no lag fairs, as well as retreating bairs and fairs. I mean, can anyone actually do a retreating fair without c-stick set to smash or tilts?

hAtE_

Smash Rookie
I am sorry to ask but im not really familiar with the english expressions here. What is RAR?
My controls are default except tipping. It totally screws my movement :D

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
See, the problem I forsee if I use it for specials is that I'll only ever use the C-stick for Auto-RARing and Up-B. While I use the smash C-stick for no lag fairs, as well as retreating bairs and fairs. I mean, can anyone actually do a retreating fair without c-stick set to smash or tilts?
I've been able to lag cancel my fairs pretty easily without a smash stick. Retreating bairs haven't been too difficult either. I haven't really tried to use my fair to retreat though. What I know I can do is fair forward than instantly DI backwards which puts me slightly behind where I started. I just read something about Pivoting and Buffering which might convince to use smash stick. I've yet to use those techs in a real match though. I'll have to see how useful they really are.

Top Bottom