• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What controller do you use?

MoT

Smash Cadet
I use a standard indigo, or purple whatever, GCN controller. I have two of those and two of those wireless WaveBird controllers which are really handy because each year, at summer and winter, I go on long driving trips with a whole bunch of friends and I bring my GCN along in the car.

The car has a TV thing and a video game adapter thing (for the power) so we can all play SSBM, Mario Tennis and Double Dash.

uber_n00b

Smash Journeyman
He said that :)

But I use normal ones, but I have a black GCN I particularly like because a lot of people on hall like to play smash and I keep the black one away so the noobs can't mess it up (people have broken controllers before)

MoT

Smash Cadet
uber_n00b said:

But I use normal ones, but I have a black GCN I particularly like because a lot of people on hall like to play smash and I keep the black one away so the noobs can't mess it up (people have broken controllers before)
I've seen that happen. Two people I know living down the street from me are very careless with their video game stuff and they had to get another Gamecube only a year after they had purchased it. I think everyone knows how sturdy Gamecubes are and if it only lasted a year for them, well you can decide how careless they must have been. But it's all cool, they are more careful now.

Skylink

Smash Lord
A house made of brick, wood, and plaster (I think)
uber_n00b said:
Oh, right, yeah, didn't really read his.
(people have broken controllers before)
I don't ever see MY controllers break because of people, it's just that over time, the springs and stuff wear down from use. If your guests break your controlers, and they treat them like sports balls and throw them at the ground when they lose, you have some high strung friends.:dizzy:

MoT

Smash Cadet
Skylink said:
Oh, right, yeah, didn't really read his.
I don't ever see MY controllers break because of people, it's just that over time, the springs and stuff wear down from use. If your guests break your controlers, and they treat them like sports balls and throw them at the ground when they lose, you have some high strung friends.:dizzy:
I know a person who gets so furious over losing in a game (not only SSBM but even other games) that he'll throw the controller across the room and stuff. A person like that has GOT to have issues. :ohwell:

G-Ron

Smash Apprentice
lol, i use a pelican turbo controller! its that clear grippy plastic, and since its clear it has a neon light running around the outline of the controller.

G-Ron

Smash Apprentice
raxus said:
I use the regular controllers all the time, and I've never had one of those break...

...I also have a "nYko Star Pad" controller (looking at the name, you know it's a peice of ****)...and the R trigger broke about 2 months in...used it about 10 hours, put it away for a long time....tried to play with other people and they kept sucking at SSBM because they couldn't dodge or block...yet I still have it with me for some reason as if I were going to try and fix it myself or something :ohwell:
I got my gamecube through my cousin (can you believe he didnt want it! it was just sitting in his garage!!!) so i got it with all the cords but no controller, so i went out and the first game i got was melee and i got a "nyko Star PAd" and it broke the second day i got it :mad: :confused: the control stick was broken it wouldnt allow me to tap the control stick to run, and i still have it lmao

IcemanB88

Smash Rookie
NNID
The7unner
:rotfl: 2 DAYS?! lol wow.

The L or R triggers or the joystick seem to be the first to go with the 3rd party controllers. Surprisingly, my current off-brand controller has lasted many a thumb-war.

NAZN TYR

Smash Journeyman
modded controller. dual control stick and purple/black hybrid color. haha, it's awesome. thanks to mana for doing it.

Marthlover

Smash Cadet
I use the standard GCN controller, and not the wireless ether.

Yeah, the control stick wears out over time. Yeah, playing games like KAR and SSBM aids the process. Eventually, it gets to where I can't hardly control the characters right, and then I have to spend 20$ on another controller. My first GCN controller lasted two years since the day I got it. (12, 25, 2003)

But...I have my reasons. The vibrations on the Mad Catz controllers are far too strong. Pikachu's neutral A makes the controller jerk. Plus that, the Mad Catz controllers are shaped differently, and the buttons are hard to press down. I gave it a good shot, though. I was playing a level 2 on tourny mode and ended up pausing the game and switching out controllers. I was doing just plain terrible...

Nigzel

Smash Ace
marthlover, i can understand why you didnt like the microcon. but i have pretty strong hands so i cant see the difference when im playing. and the rumble: it fits me. and the control stick dosent get weared out on a micron thats a +.

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
I use a wavebird. The two original controllers we have both have worn out control sticks, plus the B button is jacked on one of them, and my first wavebird's control stick broke somehow. wtf is with these controllers being cheap? I thought that was the job of the off-brand stuff. :p

Skylink

Smash Lord
I'm geeting that almost everyone uses either a standard or a wavebird. But, as I've posted I think three times, wavebirds don't rumble. and they run out of batteries. and you can get the channels mixed and connected to the wrong controller ports when 2 many pple play w/ them.

melikecookies

Smash Rookie
go standard controllers!!

the wavebird doesnt hav rumble x_x
the wavebird runs out of batteries x_x
the wavebird mixes up frequenncies x_x

go standard controllers!!

KLSmash

Smash Ace
melikecookies said:
the wavebird doesnt hav rumble x_x
Sometimes when there is a sudden scary rumble, you prefer it not to be there. When you're playing at night, you almost wet your pants.

I don't really care but i can use all of them
All of them ? You actually have all of them ? Doesn't that get a little expensive....
------------------------------------
I use a standard NGC controller... and it's PURPLE!!!

MuD

Smash Rookie
Wavebird.. I enjoy the freedom.. not that I mind using a standard GCN.. I jsut find they get abused more by my friends, so I've got a wavebird that for the most part only I use.

Skylink

Smash Lord
KLSmash said:
All of them ? You actually have all of them ? Doesn't that get a little expensive....
I think he means he's been comfotable and has used all of them. Besides, you need to get a new controller every year or so. 30$ a year isn't that much. either that or he's been to some friends houses who has other controllers.

EDIT: once again, Skylink the slow typer has been beat to the reply again. MuD, don't do that it's annoying.
EDIT AGAIN: I got a wavebird recently and The freedom is new and weird to me, wich is why Iprefer th ones with wires. I just love the rumble, but it almost scares me when I move to a more comfortable positioning in my chair and the wire is gone.:scared:

Top Bottom