• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What controller do you use?

NovaWave

Smash Journeyman
Which kind of controller do you use? The standard GCN controller? a WaveBird? an AirFlow? a cheapy no name controller? which one?

I use a standard GCN.

What do you guys use? :laugh:

I find it hard to WD and SH with anything but a standard or WaveBird. Is there anything you guys can do that's wierd by using a certain controller?

nin10do

Smash Journeyman
I use the standard GCN controller, because my WaveBird's control stick is messed up.

EDIT: Wait, what does this have anything to do with Smash?

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
ac_anon said:
I use an original gamecube controller and its the special edition mario one
I use a WaveBird, I like how since there are batteries, it fills up the center of the controller, and it feels better for me compared to a standard controller. I also like it because it doesn't have any any wires (abviously).

It has alot of freedom.

Anyone who hasn't tried a WB, give freedom a chance. :p

I.T.P

Smash Ace
i use the standard GCN controller. though i handle just as well on a wavebird. i've seen many controllers each with it's own twist(eaten rubber from the control stick, a B button that you don't feel as you press, sticky R buttons). but i've yet to see a good smash player play with a non-nintendo controller

Smash Lord
I use the standard controller because its cheaper than the WaveBird :chuckle:

I think the WaveBird might be easier and more comfortable but i just don't want to waste my money just so i can play the game with more comfort. (that may change when the revolution comes out ;) )

Lano, your posts constantly have typos, i mean you're not that bad at english are you? :laugh:

4xjars

Smash Rookie
I use the wavebird.aside from the non existent rumble feature,I feel like I have much more freedom with wireless.

XDeTrOiTBaLLeR05

Smash Cadet
I use the Standard Silver GCN controller. I want a wavebird, but with the rev on the way, I don't plan on spendng any money on one.

I find it easy to use any controller, EXCEPT my micro one. That sucks for smash

B_Rush

Smash Rookie
I use a Mad Catz. It can be weird at first, but I've gotten used to it. Their N64 controllers totally sucked though.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
game_freak8000 said:
I use the standard controller because its cheaper than the WaveBird :chuckle:

I think the WaveBird might be easier and more comfortable but i just don't want to waste my money just so i can play the game with more comfort. (that may change when the revolution comes out ;) )

Lano, your posts constantly have typos, i mean you're not that bad at english are you? :laugh:
It was a test, you passed. CONGRATULATIONS! :D

grayfox

Smash Champion
I used to use a Wavebird until it buggered up and messed up someones game with frequncy mix up at my first tourney. Ever since i've used my original controller which feels a lot better too.

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
I just use a black standard GNC controller. I would try out a wavebird if it wasn't for Revolution coming out so soon.

dragonsshadows

Smash Apprentice
I actually have 12 controllers. 4 standard and 8 wavebirds. Yes... 8 wavebirds. I use 4 at home and 4 go with my gamecube when I move it around. I have 4 standard because I bought them when the GC came out.
I mostly use wavebirds when playing the GC. When playing SSBM I make sure to use brand new batteries (or ones that have been in there for a max of 2 hrs). If I don't do that... the delay kills me and my timing for powershielding.
I will start to only use standard controlers because Online SSBM (AKA GCARS-CS) can't use wavebirds.
I need every milisecond I can get... but I'm use to wavebirds.

Echo

Smash Champion
I use wavebirds just becuase i've had a couple of em ever since they've come out, i thought they were alot more common now... guess alot of GC players are cheap *******s ^^

Zeru

Smash Journeyman
dragonsshadows said:
I actually have 12 controllers. 4 standard and 8 wavebirds. Yes... 8 wavebirds. I use 4 at home and 4 go with my gamecube when I move it around. I have 4 standard because I bought them when the GC came out.
I mostly use wavebirds when playing the GC. When playing SSBM I make sure to use brand new batteries (or ones that have been in there for a max of 2 hrs). If I don't do that... the delay kills me and my timing for powershielding.
I will start to only use standard controlers because Online SSBM (AKA GCARS-CS) can't use wavebirds.
...wow

Well, i used to use a spice orange controller but i got a mario one so now im gonna use that.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Jeffz0r said:
I use a wavebird (platinum one)
You're making me jealous again.....

I use a Wavebird. A few weeks ago, the controls were all messed up (don't ask me why), but now it's working great again.....

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
My two normal controllers both got broken (well, C-stick sickness, blame my n00b friends), and now I have two other controllers. One I borrowed from a friend, and the other one someone forgot to take with him after AMT tourney two weeks ago. LOL

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
B_Rush said:
I use a Mad Catz. It can be weird at first, but I've gotten used to it. Their N64 controllers totally sucked though.
All Mad Catz products suck... My friends Memory card messed up after like a month... How can they screw that thing up? There aren't any moving parts for cryin' out loud! He didn't hardly move it either... it just sat their like every other memory card does, but then one day, it just decided to erase all of his data. I find that third party controllers tend to SUCK when it comes to Smash on account of them not being able to "tap" or dash and do smash attacks with the control stick. They're usually slow and awkward shaped too. Totally not worth it.

I use an original Orange GC Controller

Vegard

Smash Lord
dragonsshadows said:
You really change batteries that often? It's really not that necessary at all. The signal is about the same until the batteries get empty - or am I wrong? Is that the reason of why the best players never uses Wavebirds? As I've noticed.

Mocheese2k

Smash Rookie
I'm a lil paranoid that Wavebirds have a slight delay so i use Standard GC Controller for SSBM, and wavebeird for everything else.

Ball Kirby

Smash Cadet
NovaWave said:
Which kind of controller do you use? The standard GCN controller? a WaveBird? an AirFlow? a cheapy no name controller? which one?

I use a standard GCN.

What do you guys use? :laugh:

I find it hard to WD and SH with anything but a standard or WaveBird. Is there anything you guys can do that's wierd by using a certain controller?
I use the standard one. I was gonna get a WaveBird but then I saw that it doesn't vibrate...

roylink

Smash Rookie
I use the standetd controler. I might stsrt playing with the airflow controler.

Davewash

Smash Rookie
I used to use a wavebird but I don't like knowing that it can go bad at any moment. Ive picked up the standard controller for when I play this game, but I go back to the bird for just about everything else.

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
Davewash said:
I used to use a wavebird but I don't like knowing that it can go bad at any moment. Ive picked up the standard controller for when I play this game, but I go back to the bird for just about everything else.
I own your year old posting virginity! They probably have orange controllers because...

(A) The GC doesn't come in Orange, so they want something thats a different color than it.

(B) They like Orange over purple, and couldn't buy a black controller because the store didn't have one.

(C) Chances are, most people don't know there are really cool special colored GC controllers, mainly because they're somewhat limited and rarely seen.

Add that up, and Orange is probably most likely to be used. GCs can come in Black, so it might push some people away from it, or its possible it makes people use black... who cares... I myself have 4 different colored controllers, one for each player, just so its easier to keep them from getting mixed up. I usually use my Orange one because I paid for it, and its the freshest one I have.

(EDIT: Sweet, Post # 444... my lucky number... TIMES 3!)

ꓰspeon

Sun Pokemon
Hey I have 2 GCN controllers... er, one, I have a black one and my brother broke his silver one two or three days ago... :(
Anyway, I don't like Wavebirds: no rumble function and need for batteries... I really prefer the wires.

Top Bottom