• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Controller do you use?

What controller do you use?

• Wiimote

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • Wiimote+Nunchuck

Votes: 62 12.6%
  • Gamecube Controller

Votes: 357 72.4%
  • Classic Controller

Votes: 65 13.2%

• Total voters

Maku

Smash Apprentice
I had to make the switch to the Classic Control.
I dunno what it is..
takes about a day to get used to, but kicks *** once you got it!!

CraneStyle

Smash Cadet
I'm GC controller all the way I tried Wiimote+Nunchuk it's too freaky for me and Wiimote alone lack of buttons I never tried with a CC though

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
I always hated the gamecube controller for Melee, even though I got used to it.
The classic controller is awesome. The R and L buttons are actually responsive to it!

Riakou

Smash Apprentice
Wiimote + nunchuck is pretty hard to jump with, but once you get used to it, it kicks ***

Yangtze

Smash Rookie
Wiimote + nunchuck is pretty hard to jump with, but once you get used to it, it kicks ***
tru dat. so comfortable to play w/ that. just short hopping's a lil harder to do but it's awesome once u get used to it

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Too use to the GC... but i keep hearing all these great things about the CC.. may have to give it a try

100th post by the way... woot woot

EauxCon

Smash Rookie
I usually use the GC controller, just because it feels best for me. I occasionally hook up a converter and play with my ps2 controller thou, just for kicks ><''

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
100th post by the way... woot woot
*laughs* You sure about that?

I use the GC Controller. I am an avid C-Stick user, so both wiimote setups are out of the question for me. I'm interested in trying out the Classic Controller, but I don't already own one, so I'm hesitant to buy one just for Brawl and find out I might not like it.

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
The gamecube controller is the only logical option.

To Taymond: I am an owner of a classic controller for virtual console games and I have tried it out on Brawl... It isn't actually that bad... pretty easy to get used to albeit a little awkward at first. I would suggest using GC over CCs however.

CodeytheRhino

Smash Apprentice
I'm shocked that 20 people use the classic. I'm also shocked that 20 ppl own the classic controller.:laugh:

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
I used CC with a modified button layout.

A/X = Jump
B = Standard Attack
Y = Special Attack

Jackstick

Smash Rookie
wiimote and nunchuk. I never played melee, so the GCN controller didn't grow on me.

Some call the wiimote nunchuk an inferior remote. I tell them to stfu.

Leth

Smash Rookie
I used the wiimote and nunchaku for ages and got really used to it. With shake smashes on (and they seriously work just as well as the c-stick; at least for me, I was doing retreating fairs and the like no problem) I can't see any way in which it is inferior to the GC controller. But then I went back to GC. Because it, in turn, is in no way inferior to wiimote and nunchuk, and it's more convenient. Synching is just annoying.

I did change around my GC control scheme a little though. Z is now jump, X is grab. Makes it a whole lot easier to short hop while doing other things (like attacking).

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
I'm using the Gamecube controller.
Crazy as it sounds though, my 2nd choice is the Wii Remote... by itself. The double tapping down to pass through platforms and lack of ability to turn Tap Jump off isn't very cool, but compared to how I do with the other set-ups, it isn't too bad. (I have it set where 1+2=grab/throw, btw.)

The Classic Controller weirds me out for 3 reasons:
1- I can't get used to the button placement, no matter where I set the attack/special/jumps to. Because it's shaped more like a square than the "y" that the GC pad is, it really messes me up.

2- ZR is also in a very different place than I'm accustomed to, and I prefer moving my forefinger like I would for a PS2 controller than differentiating using the middle of my finger (to shield) versus the tip (to grab).

3- I'm not sure that anyone else has noticed this, but I'd swear the analog sticks on the Classic Controller are taller than the Gamecube and PS2 pads. This makes them feel less stable to me and more difficult to manipulate (which isn't a problem in most games, but SSBB is intense). I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well... but it's like the longer/taller the joystick is, the less easy it is to manipulate due to the fact we're manipulating it by pressing down on it and using friction as opposed to an object like a joystick that you have more control over because you can grab it.

And yeah... the Wiimote + Nunchuck comes in last for me. It's weird and feels clunky trying to do so many things with my right thumb and having to shift my hand to reach the upper portion of the d-pad.

So I'm a little sad seeing the Wiimote have only 1 vote so far. The GC pad is definitely better, but the Wiimote gets my number 2. I wish I could give it half of my vote. :)

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
I use the CC, simply because it's pretty much the exact same as GC controllers, and I don't own a GC so....

I imagine if I got some GC I'd get used to them pretty **** fast.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I felt slow using the gamecube controller, so I switched to the classic and now I feel like I'm able to move faster. Was a little bummed though that I couldn't use the D-pad for movement, but I don't mind the joystick.

Azumouse

Smash Cadet
I use the GC controller because first of all i got so used to it in melee and well, lets be honest no one who play's at a competetive scale doesent use the GC, it's just making it harder for yourself if you dont.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I keep trying to get used to other controllers, but I'm still sticking with GC. I made X shield, so the trigger problems with GC's aren't a problem for me.

Arsenic

Smash Rookie
GC. The only things that bum me out is the unresponsive R/L's (seriously, would it be that hard to just make any depression of those two buttons register?) and a c-stick that doesn't always work (I saw a thread on that last night).

Top Bottom