• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What control scheme do you use and why?

Hybrid222

Smash Cadet
I wanted to see what people have changed around and why so possibly I can get some ideas that will make playing more comfortable. The only thing I have changed at the moment is attack to L for obvious reasons like dash cancelling and easier aerials (seeing as i use X for jumping). What does everyone else do?

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Wii Remote and Nunchuk

D-Pad
Up: Up Smash (I never use this)
Side: Side Taunt (makes it much easier to get to than pressing 1 and 2 simultaneously, and I do enjoy taunting very much, lol)
Down: Jump (I got used to using the C buttons and then Y in the other two games)

Remote
A: Attack
B: Special
1: Up Taunt
2: Down Taunt

Nunchuk
Z: Shield (took me time to get used to doing it with my left hand, I always used R on the GCN controller)
C: Grab (I need my grab by my shield, plus I definitely couldn't get used to jumping and moving with the same hand)

Tap Jump: On
Shake Smash: Off

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
Gamecube Controller

L: Shield
R: Jump (allows me to ETS with Yoshi and I guess you could Zap Jump with it too)
Z: Grab (Chaingrabs)
X: Jump
Y: Jump
A: Attack
B: Specials
C-stick: Smashes
D-pad: Taunts
Tap Jump: Off

Pretty standard but having R (I use L to shield, maybe because i'm right handed? you could use R) as Jump allows me to use some advanced techniques that I couldn't use otherwise.

Ramgigon

Smash Journeyman
This is where I put whether or not I like Brawl
Wii Remote and Nunchuck:

Shake Smash: Off

D-Pad Up - Up Smash
D-Pad Side - Side Smash
D-Pad Down - Down Smash

A - Attack
B - Special
A+B - Jump
1 - Jump
2 - Down Taunt
1+2 - Side Taunt

Z - Shield
C - Grab

Gamecube Controller:

L - Shield
R - Shield
Z - Grab

A - Attack
B - Special
Y - Jump
X - Shield (good for shieldgrabbing)

C-Stick - Special (don't know whether to use Smash or Special, Special doesn't seem to be holding up very well though)
D-Pad Up - Up Taunt
D-Pad Side - Side Taunt
D-Pad Down - Down Taunt

So yeah... I use that because I can't live without my Tap Jump.

Hybrid222

Smash Cadet
Oh def need to turn that off then. I wish there was something that you could do to make like X short hops only and Y regular jumps. :ohwell:

SHined BLind

Smash Apprentice
Classic Controller Pad: almost always
Tap-Jump: off
D-Pad: taunts
L: shield
R: attack
Both Zs: unused (shield)
a: jump
b: special
x: grab
y: unused (grab)
C-Stick: smash attack

Attacking and teching have to be quick, so the shoulder buttons are used. Zs and y are two far away, so I ignore them. Jumping and specials are used a little more than grabs, so they're closer to my thumb. C-Stick is kept at smashing for techniques like hyphen smashing. No tap-jumping also makes u-tilts easier.

For GameCube controllers: Almost as good as the classic pad, but not so comfortable
Z: attack
L: shield
R: unused (shield)
A: special
B: unused (special)
Y: grab
X: jump
D-Pad: taunts
C-Stick: smash attack

Same reasons, just reorganized.

Wiimote and Nun chuck: only if it's my only option
Shake Smash: off
Z: jump
C: shield
A: special
B: attack
A+B: unused (grab)
D-Pad Down: grab
D-Pad Side: side smash
D-Pad up: up smash
Numbers: taunts

Same reasons again, but jumping has been moved to the left side to make the d-pad feel more like a c-stick. Also, I'd rather not use two buttons at once in case I only hit one of them.

Wiimote: Only against a n00b.
D-Pad Up: jump
B: shield
A: grab
A+B: unused (Grab)
-: taunt
1: special
2: attack
1+2: unused (grab)

Tap-jump is the only good jump button here. Funning grabs are basically non-existent, so it won't matter if I'm holding a direction while grabbing. Regular attacks are used more than specials, so they're closer to the thumb. Lastly, I'd rather be playing my best with a horrible set-up than holding back with a better set-up.

Guitar Hero guitar: would'ave been sso awesome.

Aeothera

Smash Rookie
Wii+Nun. With Down d-pad as down smash, over as grab and up as up smash. Just works for my style of play

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
GC controller, no scheme modifications - exactly how I played since Melee. It just feels... right. Traditional. Familiar. Comfortable, too. I haven't experienced any problems or found an AT that I need to change the controls to perform. It ain't broke, so I ain't fixin' it.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Standard Gamecube Set-up. there's really nothing to change, In my opinion. I might not have been competitive or anything in Melee, but I played enough to feel most comfortable with it's control set-up in brawl.

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
Basically the default Gamecube configuration, only with tap jump disabled.

It's what I've been used to due to Melee, and I really don't see anything I could do that would improve on my playstyle instead of causing confusion. I guess the default has grown on me.

Wafflekin

Smash Cadet
Tap Jump off
R - Special

I jump with X, so it's hard to jump and do a special (with B) simultaneously (without rearranging my hold), so I set R to Special (I shield with L).

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Tap jump off, X to grab.

I hate the position of the Z button, so I don't use it at all.

TheStagesmith

Smash Rookie
I use the standard Nunchuk configuration, with the D pad's down button set to grab, and tap jump turned off. I don't know if it slows me down, but it feels natural to me (since I always used L to shield in melee) and the A+B grab can be unreliable when you need to do something on the fly.

Top Bottom