• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What characters you started to love because of Smash Bros?

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
I think this is the place to ask this since it applies to all Smash games.
I'm pretty sure you'll started to like/love/hate certain characters the more you used them in Smash Bros, or even tried their respective franchises for the first time. In my case those franchises were Earthbound (64) and Fire Emblem (Melee), and Ness and Marth became two of my absolute favorite characters ever since, my friends always make fun of Marth for being too feminine, but I always say he's the manliest around, and that he's just fabulous :>

And on the other hand, I started to hate DK and Peach, at least their portrayals in Smash, DK is super dumb in Smash for some reason, even when he's not actually like that on his games, and Peach is just super annoying, acting all cute and clueless, while kicking everyones ass (especially in Melee), and don't forget her "La la la la la la" taunt in Brawl and her "Oh, did I win?", just gets on my nerves.
Anyway, what are your?

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I actually began to love Peach as a character since her introduction to the Smash Bros series. It's amazing to see a such hyperfeminine character totally kick your butt using hearts and rainbows as attacks. She's been my main since Melee and yeah... she was very ditzy and clueless in Melee but they've fixed her personality since Brawl.

the winner is Peach

this line in Peach’s victory animation got a change in delivery that i think is really interesting! in the Melee version Peach seems naive and totally oblivious of her surroundings. you can tell it comes from a misogynistic place because it makes no sense - why is she confused about whether she won the battle? that’s silly.

the new version stays faithful to the words, but by tweaking the intonation the characterisation is totally changed. she’s now sarcastic as hell - she knows damn well that she won, and you were a chump for thinking that she wouldn’t.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hmm... Wolf, definitely him since I loved his play style over Fox and Falco who I both got to know along with Captain Falcon, Lucario, Ike, Samus, and more. So I guess you could say everyone, but there are stand outs like Wolf.

Anyway, Ness and Ganondorf are freaking awesome in SSB4. I had a hard time using Ness in past games and Ganondorf was just bad in Brawl and I didn't play as him much in Melee, but holy hell is he fun as a walking tank in SSB4. His appearance in Hyrule Warriors also helps that "I'M A MOTHERFREAKING BOSS" image. Oh, and Dove haircare. :p

Shiek, I love her breakdance for a Down Smash. Duck Hunt became more lovable, well, the duck, not the dog. Duck Hunt as a whole was at first "Why?" and now "Cool, interesting, and it reminds me of Looney Tunes". That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
Admittedly, Charizard. I used to think Charizard was the most overrated and lamest Pokémon in the franchise (and he was a total ass in the anime), but I was bent on using the Trainer for Ivysaur and Squirtle. So, I had to accept him. He turned out to be one of my better characters and I may have gone a bit overboard in the process of taking a liking to the 'zard - I started a bit of a collection of toys and plushies.

Mr. Game and Watch is the other character I've grown to love. All of his attacks are hilarious and when you take into account that every attack he uses is from a game, it becomes that much better.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Marth for sure. I knew about the series, but it was the one that pushed me to play all the old FE games.

The other is Ice Climbers. It didn't get me to like their games, but I think they're a nice addition and are awesome characters.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Marth, Ike, and Roy.
Ness.
Pit and now Dark Pit (haven't played Kid Icarus: Uprising yet).
CAPTAIN FALCON. HYESSS!!
Falco.

I think that covers it. Most anyone else I used in Smash BECAUSE I already liked them and not the other way around.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
For some reason, this game made me like Mario has a character. Before, Luigi was my favorite and, shame on me, I wasn't really a fan of Mario himself. But by playing Smash, I've actually started to like Mario, and it made me interrested about the character itself. And you know what, I actually found Mario very likeable thanks to Smash. He's not this "psychopath" that everyone says or just a Mickey Mouse type of character, he's loyal, always maintain his promises and care about his friends.
He's not like those dumb theories (I see you there Game Theory, go away) who says that Mario is just an horrible guy who doesn't care about everyone except himself. Mario is a good and goofy guy, that keep saving his love one and helps everyone he can. And Smash made me realize that. How silly am I sometimes.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Basically everyone. Melee was my first Nintendo console game, so I hadn't played any other Nintendo games that weren't on the Game Boy Color or in the first couple years of the Advance at that point (I got my GC in 2003), so Smash got me into basically everything but LoZ (We had Link's Awakening), Pokemon (We had Yellow, Silver & Gold), and Kirby (Kirby's Tilt and Tumble). I also knew a lot from the Mario series and a few others because of pop culture, but everyone else was completely new to me.

TigerBizNiz

Smash Apprentice
Marth and Ike. The Super Smash Bros games are what introduced me to the Fire Emblem series, which is now one of my favorite franchises. I never got the chance to play those games as kid since they started off as Japan only games. The same can be said with Samus and Captain Falcon as well. I will say that the Super Smash Bros games did a good job introducing me to some least known Nintendo games out there that's for sure! :grin:

Chico2099

Smash Apprentice
I was never a fan of the F Zero series but smash made me a fan of Captain Falcon. Honestly I think most people now would recognize him from Smash and probably don't know about F Zero.

TigerBizNiz

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I think most people now would recognize him from Smash and probably don't know about F Zero.
Sad, but true. I didn't even know of the F-Zero games' existence until I unlocked Captain Falcon in SSB64. Embarrass I played the F-Zero games afterwards though and I got to say.. it's a pretty underrated series! The problem is that most people would much rather stick with playing the Mario Kart series instead (which is understandable because that series rocks!) when it comes to racing games on Nintendo platforms.

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
Honestly, I started liking Samus after I first played Smash for the N64. Same goes for Sheik with Melee, and Palutena after seeing her trailer. Before they were in Smash, I didn't care for them if I'm being honest, now I love em.

yawns56k

Smash Rookie
:jigglypuffmelee: all the waaaaay. Like I use to think she was just a funny character and cool just because childhood Pokemon hype, but when I saw Mango and Hbox do cool stuff with her (hey, her Down-B isn't completely useless??) I jumped on the bandwagon and she's been my main and fav. Pokemon ever since.
Also, as others mentioned before, I played all 3 of the Fire Emblems for the GBA because of :marthmelee:/:roymelee:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Definitely Jigglypuff. Ever since I've started maining her I've just really liked the character. She's cute.

I also liked Ness after seeing him in 64 many years ago and it made me want to play Earthbound even though I wouldn't have the means to for many years.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
We all started loving Jiggs because of Smash. I'm still in-between with her.

I love C.Falcon now. No doubt. I never would've played his games without Smash.

Co-maining Robin, I have come to love him, but I will never play the game :p

I have always loved Pac-Man, but I love him even more now.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Ness and Pit. Smash Bros introduced me to characters and have pretty much because some of my favorites, not only in Smash, but in general. I adore Pit's design and personality and Uprising was absolutely phenomenal. Ness is amazing too, I really like how he's mostly just an average kid who uses a bat and a yo-yo as weapons, but that he even adds to this twist by having insane powers, he's so different! Plus, it got me to play Earthbound which I ended up loving too.

AirFair

Marth tho
Smash got me very interested in Fire emblem bc of Marth, Roy, and Ike, and I played Awakening and loved it.
I think since playing Ness since 64 I became really interested in Earthbound.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Got into fire emblem because of marth/roy. Picked up a copy for the GBA as soon as I could. It's still one of my favorite games for sure.

Also really liked Falcon because of smash as well.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
I became a pretty big MGS fan after playing Brawl and Snake being my main in that game. I was pretty disappointed with Ike's portrayal in brawl, considering how slow he was and AGI being a top trait of his along with his personality not feeling exactly right to me.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
:4ness:<---------- This guy!

Even though he's not my main in Smash, I still enjoy messing around when playing as him in a casual setting. Ness introduced me to the *amazing* game known as Earthbound. Had he not been included in the smash bros series, I probably would have never tried out Earthbound and realized what I was missing out on. I'm very glad he's included in Smash 4, too.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
:4shulk::4megaman::4robinm:. I've never played ANY of their games, but the fact that their trailer and movesets swayed me into making them my mains over :4mario: is quite the achievement.

Other characters I started to like and play at least one game in their home series include:

64: :4falcon::4fox::4kirby:

Melee: :4falco::4dk:

Brawl: :4diddy::4olimar::4zss::4pit::4tlink:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Shulk.

I never played Xenoblade or really cared about it after I saw news of Project Rainfall. But now I'm getting a copy of Xenoblade for Christmas as well as AV capture so I can stream it

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Since OP mentioned the characters she disliked because of Smash Bros, I'll do the same.

Rosalina... and it's not because I'm mad about how powerful her options are competitively. I just hate her overall depiction in Smash 4. Prior to Smash 4, I was always very intrigued by Rosalina's character and I was initially really happy to see her announced for the game... but it's hard to see her as a benevolent mother figure now that she's forcing her children to fight for her in Smash.

What's jarring to me about her in Smash is that she's a character who looks like she can hold her own in a fight... and yet for some reason, she chooses have her children fight for her instead. Olimar gets a pass on this for me. He doesn't look like much of a fighter so it makes sense for him to use his Pikmin. It's clear that he's the brains of the operation and his Pikmin are the muscle. Rosalina instead comes off as someone who's simply not in the mood to break a nail... and so she gets someone else to do her dirty work for her. With Carl from Blazblue, the dynamic between the puppet and the puppeteer is clear. Carl is much shorter than his puppet and it's clear that it's a weapon he needs to actually hold his own. He doesn't look like a jerk for getting someone else to do all the hard work. With Rosalina, she does look like a jerk getting the Luma to fight for her.

Maybe instead, they could have made the Luma not be a powerhouse but instead a way for Rosalina to extend the combos of her laggy attacks? Rosalina would have all the power and kill potential but would be left without any way of stringing attacks together when not aided by Luma? Not sure if it would work but it would definitely make me more comfortable with her character.

R0Y

Smash Master
Smash 64 was my introduction to Ness and Link. Melee was my introduction to Sheik and Ganondorf. Brawl was my introduction to both Pit and Palutena.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Definitely Robin and Lucina. Hell, I disliked their inclusion at first, but fate had other options, granting me a copy of Awakening at a price I couldn't argue with and making me do a 180. Now Lucina and (female)Robin stand as my two main characters alongside Samus and soon Mewtwo. It's a milestone for me since it's the first time in any fighting game where my mains are predominantly female as well.

And to a lesser extent, Shulk. Not because I dislike him, but because I had no idea who he was. My brother asked me to support him when he caught me browsing SmashBoards(lol) and he was watching Chugga's playthrough. I eventually grew fond of it myself and sometimes use Shulk for fun. Though slightly unrelated, my liking of Shulk also extended to Metal Face, who I really believe a badass despite being a colossal sociopathic jerk.

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
Peach! I was pretty neutral about her until I saw her with magical butt kicking (pun intended) powers. If it hadn't been Super Smash Bros it probably would've been Super Princess Peach. Her oblivious, cartoonish antics rarely fail to at least mildly amuse me.

Literally anyone from Fire Emblem; I am an old time player and SSB was literally the easiest way to learn about them. The trend continued, as while I like the games I don't like them enough to go out and buy them generally.

Samus; realtalk, most metroid game's gameplay simply doesn't agree with me. Without SSB I probably would've never cared enough to find a game in the series I can get behind.

Captain Falcon, Little Mac, Yoshi, Rosalina, Wario are all lesser version of Samus, the difference being that I have yet to try their games or the games I saw them in (Yoshi in particular) failed to interest me.

Gyorg the Yossarian

Smash Cadet
For some reason, this game made me like Mario has a character. Before, Luigi was my favorite and, shame on me, I wasn't really a fan of Mario himself. But by playing Smash, I've actually started to like Mario, and it made me interrested about the character itself. And you know what, I actually found Mario very likeable thanks to Smash. He's not this "psychopath" that everyone says or just a Mickey Mouse type of character, he's loyal, always maintain his promises and care about his friends.
He's not like those dumb theories (I see you there Game Theory, go away) who says that Mario is just an horrible guy who doesn't care about everyone except himself. Mario is a good and goofy guy, that keep saving his love one and helps everyone he can. And Smash made me realize that. How silly am I sometimes.
If Mario isn't a psycho then why does he have that damn spike?

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
I started to appreciate Samus for the Badassery that she is (until Other-M)
That's really weird because I started to appreciate Samus after Other-M. The gameplay agreed with me more than past games and her character had always come off to me as a female Gordon Freeman, only the gameplay didn't happen to work for me so that... completely changed my impression for the worse, sadly.

She was kind of cool in theory, but completely inhuman and unrelatable in practice. That put her nearly 14 years behind Duke Nukem, who had the benefit of speaking so that he could make oddly nerdy jokes to make him at least mildly relatable. It's an okay formula for a power fantasy, but the gameplay of the old games had a tendency to leave me feeling helpless, lost and stupid which was more befitting a puzzle or adventure game than a power fantasy.

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
That's really weird because I started to appreciate Samus after Other-M. The gameplay agreed with me more than past games and her character had always come off to me as a female Gordon Freeman, only the gameplay didn't happen to work for me so that... completely changed my impression for the worse, sadly.

She was kind of cool in theory, but completely inhuman and unrelatable in practice. That put her nearly 14 years behind Duke Nukem, who had the benefit of speaking so that he could make oddly nerdy jokes to make him at least mildly relatable. It's an okay formula for a power fantasy, but the gameplay of the old games had a tendency to leave me feeling helpless, lost and stupid which was more befitting a puzzle or adventure game than a power fantasy.

He said it, he actually said it. You sir have all my respect.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
I really, really liked Ness thanks to Smash. I have even got the chance to play Earthbound! I also liked Captain Falcon (HYEEESSS!) and Mewtwo. And Falco. And Ganondorf. I even liked Samus, Meta Knight, Toon Link, and Mr. Game and Watch. Sheesh, I admire almost all of them!

jaytorgator

Smash Cadet
Much like a lot of people in this thread, I wasn't really aware of who Ness was until Smash 64. After discovering him and maining him (when I was in 5th grade or something), I started to delve a bit deeper into the Mother series, and I can say, without a doubt, Mother 2 and 3 are in my top 10 of favorite games of all time. I appreciated Lucas more than others when it came to Brawl because of this.

However, in the one month I've been playing Project M (and a tiny bit of melee), I'd have to say that the spacies have become very close to my heart. Growing up, my family did have a Nintendo 64, so I did know about the Star Fox series, but I was never really invested in it. However, after playing Falco in Melee and Wolf/Fox in PM, I've revisited the Star Fox series and have even begun to look into the other games that I hadn't played before.

Although, I think the character I love most now after playing PM though is Charizard. I was a die-hard Pokemon fan from 9th-11th grade, and I've always thought that Charizard was the most overrated Pokemon of all time. After playing him in Smash, though, I can't help but love him. He used to be one of my least favorite Pokemon, now, he's most likely in my top five.

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
Captain Falcon, Yoshi, and Sheik, which is most of my mains lol.

I jumped on the Falcon train after I got a feel for his character, if Nintendo makes another F-Zero i'll definitely get it.

I used to kinda hate Yoshi and think he was overrated, but after the Yoshi colors came out in Mario Kart 8 and I started Smashing as him he's now one of my favorite characters. I did main him in the short time that I played Mario Tennis: Open a few years ago, though.

I like Ninja like people and that is Sheik is a nutshell.

Toon Link I like however because Wind Waker was my first Zelda game, his expressions are so funny :p

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
For me it's basically most of the lesser known characters, because it made me know about them so yeah....not much to say about that. For characters it made me hate I have a few to mention. Smash has made me hate Peach because of just how smug she is. Sm4sh specifically has made me hate ZSS, diddy, little Mac, rosalina, and sheik. I just get so tired of seeing them all the time online,and most of the people who play them don't even have their own style with the character.

Vashimus

Smash Master
It's an okay formula for a power fantasy, but the gameplay of the old games had a tendency to leave me feeling helpless, lost and stupid which was more befitting a puzzle or adventure game than a power fantasy.
....That's exactly the point of the old games. I don't see where the power fantasy comes into play aside from the fact you're collecting more items.

Also, you don't need a character to speak in order to relate to them or understand how they think. Actions speaks louder than a thousand words.

Last edited:
Top Bottom