• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Character Should Be My Main One?

Moneyman228

Smash Cadet
Currently I've been using kirby(I wanted a challenge and it payed off good), but I wanted to know if I should make another character my main.

If you recommend I stick with Kirby, post your suggestion of a secondary character.

P.S: I'll try everyone BUT JIGGLYPUFF, I know that some people aren't gay down b spammers, but I just don't want her to be my main/secondary.

Zantetsu2

Smash Apprentice
Anyone BUT kirby. Kirby is easy to use, horribly broken, and cheap. You will also be called a noob for using him weather your good with him or not.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
Out of all the characters I find Fox Link and Jigglypuff the most fun to play. Try one of them.

Also, what do you mean by you wanted a challenge and it payed off good after you said kirby was your main?

AlexBarry

Smash Journeyman
you live in saskatchewan?? pm me

uh mario and fox are cool
QFT.

Just play with whoever you have fun with......
Fox and Mario are probably the best.
And if you're looking for a challenge, watch some Isai and Prince Yoshi vids and attempt to replicate.

NF Alex

Smash Journeyman
Use Link, he is amazing, he's really fast and his attacks are awesome and he can pull off amazing combos and his recovery is awesome, easily the best character in the game, AND HE HAS A SWORD ZOMGAOLAWELOAKZD

I don't know, just go with whoever you think you're best with. Experiment with every character, play online with them and see how well you do, and eventually you'll find one you like more than the rest.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
QFT.

Just play with whoever you have fun with......
Fox and Mario are probably the best.
And if you're looking for a challenge, watch some Isai and Prince Yoshi vids and attempt to replicate.
lol i wouldnt try to emulate them but watching how Isai moves in ssb is redicules, try Fox or Link they are the most fun in my opinion

onegoal...heaven

Smash Journeyman
lawlz Sossi, Yoshi is just full of surprises. Anyway, I would say to use Samus, Fox and Falcon. Samus because if you are not so fast with your hands but have great mindgames, you can read a person so openly like a Dr. Seuss book XD. She's also really sexi, check out Dreday's "A New World" combo vid for some sexi Samus mindgames. Fox is fun because of his versatility. He can shine cancel and it feels satisfying to do it. He's also really good at rushdowns because of his short hop lazerz and his good fair. His jab is versatile along with his shine. You can practically shine and follow through with any attack. Shine jab, Shine throw, Shine dtilt, Shine upsmash, Shine dash attack, etc. Last is Falcon who is my fav. because of his speed, metagame and combos. Falcon is really fast and can combo realllly good. There are so much variations to his combos that you can practically combo a person from any percent and still look cool XD. His speed is too insane because he can tech chase you like a monkey and beat you up bad. He also has some amazing finishers and he isn't as cliche as people think. Some people don't know that his dash pivot is the best in the game and has one of the greatest uses in the game. You can dash pivot off a ledge, which is dashing towards a ledge and then turning at the last second so that falcon falls backwards off the ledge. Quick ledge grabs XD. Falcon also can taunt you really badly if you know how to XD. Lastly, his metagame is amazing because his speed is so fast and his combos are so versatile that he can basically counter everyone of your moves with a devastating combo. For example, you do an attack, I dash pivot and then wait for you to finish your attack, I dash in and grab to falcon punch finisher WAMMMM. There is way more to chars. I would suggest going to...
www.smashboards.com

Moneyman228

Smash Cadet
Also, what do you mean by you wanted a challenge and it payed off good after you said kirby was your main?
At first I thought kirby was slow, weak, and very hard to use(I'd never used him). But something told me he could be great, so I practiced and practiced, and it payed off(I own with him now).

Lots of people say link isn't good(fun but not good). I never use him much, oh and I know for a fact that his recovery skills are possibly the worst ever(doesn't jump high or far enough).

Captain F. users own me without being cheap, so maybe I'll practice with him. Mario is my 1st/2nd best character on melee(shiek is number 1), haven't really tried him very much on S64.

BTW: Samus looks like another "challenge that pays off" character, is she good/fun to use? I met someone online who owns with her, he knows EXACTLY when/where/how to shoot with her.

Zantetsu2

Smash Apprentice
Use Link, he is amazing, he's really fast and his attacks are awesome and he can pull off amazing combos and his recovery is awesome, easily the best character in the game, AND HE HAS A SWORD ZOMGAOLAWELOAKZD
Your kidding, right?

PikashoX

Smash Apprentice
if you are just starting off, i would say pikachu.. or if you want a bit more fun try fox

l0telephone0l

Smash Cadet
The most fun is probably link. I don't understand why you don't like Jigglypuff. Jiggly's plenty of fun to use and those that spam down-b are probably scrubs you can beat. Plus, Kirby is a ridiculously easy character to use and not much fun. If you want to own in style, be fox. Probably has the flashiest combos, except of course, for Isai's Mario on Link @ mushroom kingdom. For example (not a zero to death, but could be with dair -> dtilt or utilt etc.): shine-cancel -> jab -> shine cancel -> jab -> dair -> jab -> usmash.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Note: this is not a joke.
If you want to get a quick handle on how to play Smash 64 competitively, I suggest Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff has some of the easiest zero-to-death combos in the game and maining her for a few months will get you in the grove of looking for openings and mastering combos. Once you get these basics down, you can basically jump to any character other than Kirby or Samus, who aren't exactly combo-heavy.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Note: this is not a joke.
If you want to get a quick handle on how to play Smash 64 competitively, I suggest Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff has some of the easiest zero-to-death combos in the game and maining her for a few months will get you in the grove of looking for openings and mastering combos. Once you get these basics down, you can basically jump to any character other than Kirby or Samus, who aren't exactly combo-heavy.
"Kirby or Samus, who aren't exactly combo-heavy" is it just me or does this seem ohhh so wrong, kirby not combo heavy???? errr kirby can get 100%+ combos on allmost all weights so meh

greenblob

Smash Lord
I know that Kirby can get some good combos on heavyweights, but I rarely see Kirby doing a true zero-to-death combo. The deadliest combo I've seen Kirby do that doesn't require a wall or an edge right next to him is the drill->utilt chain->fair->fsmash.

l0telephone0l

Smash Cadet
Kirby's zero to deaths normally involve a d-air or up-b finish and are very situational, but the few actual off the side combos finishes he has are also very situational. Kirby is great at increasing damage and finishing but not good at putting them together.

Greenblob is correct, but if you don't like jigglypuff (or fox), having a beast mario is very sexy.

Camus iXi

Smash Cadet
this may come off like im trying to be an a$$ or something, but thats not it xDD....
dude... as long as you can Z-cancel, kirby is the easiest char to use ( in MY opinion ), so if u want a challenge i say go with link(boomerang>upb =D), mario(tornado spike =O) & fox(shine>jab>usmash xD), they're pretty fun to use =P

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Camus is right kirby is the easyest to use (in our opinions) his combos are EASY to start and easy too keep going, and for finishers nothign kills like Fsmash at 80% on a heavy char -.-

For a Chalange try Link but dont only base it off projectiles thats annoying and easy to figure out

Dre said Luigi he is fun and there is a lvl you can reach with him that most cant...once you can get thisDair--->Uair--> Dair ---> STFUppercut (lol) youll be able to analy **** most people on EGX and definitly be one of the best players localy (well more then likly anyways)

Moneyman228

Smash Cadet
So many conflicting viewpoints...

I've given thought to Jigglypuff, played her, and really liked her attacks. Her floaty attacks remind me of kirby, but unlike kirby, her attacks flow.

I'm going to try Mario, C Falcon, Jigglypuff, maybe even Samus(just for chuckles)

Link is not an option, sorry, I've used him and know why he is at the bottom of the "tier" list. Mario/C Falcon is probably going to become my main. Lol I'll probably play as Jigglypuff to(:p)

The option is still up for debate, good some of you give detailed explinations of the various strengths/weaknesses of the characters? Combos?

Thanks guys

AlexBarry

Smash Journeyman
I have an idea for you.

Step 1: Try every character
Step 2: Pick who you like best

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I would use someone who isn't too cheap like Pikachu, Kirby, and Ness. I would just use a standard character like Yoshi.
lol dont like cheap chars...ssbv is a "cheap" game according to people because every char is broken
Yoshi omg up tilit combos fawkin cheap...C.F Uair combos cheap...kirby drill combos cheap...ness DJT cheap...pikachu priority cheap....fox to fast cheap....jiggly rest cheap....ssb64 CHEAP STOP SAYING CHEAP YOU FOOLS GOD DAM

the Shadow Knite

Smash Rookie
i advise you should main fawks and u should second main mario, kirby is too... just dont use kirby unless you USE HIM WISELY.

Moneyman228

Smash Cadet
I've decided, it will be

Main: Kirby/C Falcon

Secondary: Jigglypuff???

Yes indeed, C Falcon owns, he is so powerful, and his combos...they own. Jigglypuff's also p00ns, zero-death combos are so much fun.

Thanks for the help guys!

Dr.Saturn

Smash Apprentice
I have to say what ever fits your style but i would suggest Ness if you wanna have fun and win it might hurt your hand with the double jump cancel airel so i would suggest you to yuse R instead of A sence it is faster and then you can use your grabs better as well

(shruggs) what ever floats your boot

Top Bottom