• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What character is best for Low Tech usage?

Flamma

Smash Rookie
I need a good place to start, so I'm looking for a good character to play with not a lot of necessary tech skill. Got any ideas?

RadicaX

Smash Rookie
Jigglypuff is crazy low tech. Controlling space and practice on the few tech things that puff does have are important though.

If you are putting in practice though, setting up something like a regimen on certain tech skills make it each to pull them off (Like doing 3-5 wavedash out of shield without missing in a row in both directions once a day, you will be wavedashing out of shield like a king after a while).

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Truth be told, there's only a lot of tech (Puff level), too much tech (Yoshi, Luigi), and Robot Overlord (Fox/Falco) level tech. It's still hard with basically any character.

Marth, Sheik, Jiggs, Ganon are more forgiving at lower levels for having low tech level. But they are not forgiving for having low metal skill. You are better off just picking characters you like to learn the game. That way you'll be more invested in getting good.

There are still things like L-cancelling, wavedashing, powershielding, SDI for every character that are important/crucial to learn. Jiggs can only get so far without SDI'ing Fox's up air.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Truth be told, there's only a lot of tech (Puff level), too much tech (Yoshi, Luigi), and Robot Overlord (Fox/Falco) level tech. It's still hard with basically any character.

Marth, Sheik, Jiggs, Ganon are more forgiving at lower levels for having low tech level. But they are not forgiving for having low metal skill. You are better off just picking characters you like to learn the game. That way you'll be more invested in getting good.

There are still things like L-cancelling, wavedashing, powershielding, SDI for every character that are important/crucial to learn. Jiggs can only get so far without SDI'ing Fox's up air.
Nah, Puff really doesn't need much tech skill at all. L cancels and wavedashes are really not that hard, and power shielding isn't necessary tech. Hbox used to be terribad at SDIing fox's Uair up until pretty recently.

If you don't want a lot of tech skill because you're afraid for your hands, just play anyone except fox/falco/yoshi. If its so you can see how the game works as a new player, try Marth/sheik. If its because you don't want to put in any work... well you're gonna be in for some disappointment.

D

Deleted member

Probably Sheik or Marth as his F-Smash is crazy good.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff requires almost no tech skill, but if you want someone a little more fun, try Peach.

D

Deleted member

Jigglypuff requires almost no tech skill, but if you want someone a little more fun, try Peach.
Ah, that's where I disagree. Suure Peach is a fun character to play but if you want results? Play Sheik or Jiggs, Peach is a surprisingly high level character in terms of how much knowledge you need to know about the character before-hand.
I have seen a few brand new, out of the box players coming to my locals that I attend. I have seen a few Peaches, a few Jiggs and a couple of Sheiks and the rest are Marths. Now I generally have a shot at playing them before the tourney starts, generally because I'm still quite young, they think that they will body me. They are always mistaken.
Now, Marth, with his F-Smash can catch you off guard from time to time, Sheik can bat you away with her F-Air, Jiggs can B-Air you away off the stage. All of the things I mentioned are fairly easy to do, regardless of the player. But a Peach? Ah, no.
New Peaches don't know how to utilise her float correctly as it is a hard thing to understand and is absolutely crucial to her Punish game aswell as her neutral. They don't know when, and when not to pull turnips, they don't know when to throw them of where to throw them. Sure, you could just throw and pray for a hit, and sometimes it works, but most of the time you need to think about the placement of Peach and where she is at all times during the match.
Most new players simply throw out attacks, I mean, Don't we all when we first start playing? But Peach just isn't one of those characters of which you can just attack and cross your fingers.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts and opinions on her playstyle and how she is used by newer players.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Ah, that's where I disagree. Suure Peach is a fun character to play but if you want results? Play Sheik or Jiggs, Peach is a surprisingly high level character in terms of how much knowledge you need to know about the character before-hand.
I have seen a few brand new, out of the box players coming to my locals that I attend. I have seen a few Peaches, a few Jiggs and a couple of Sheiks and the rest are Marths. Now I generally have a shot at playing them before the tourney starts, generally because I'm still quite young, they think that they will body me. They are always mistaken.
Now, Marth, with his F-Smash can catch you off guard from time to time, Sheik can bat you away with her F-Air, Jiggs can B-Air you away off the stage. All of the things I mentioned are fairly easy to do, regardless of the player. But a Peach? Ah, no.
New Peaches don't know how to utilise her float correctly as it is a hard thing to understand and is absolutely crucial to her Punish game aswell as her neutral. They don't know when, and when not to pull turnips, they don't know when to throw them of where to throw them. Sure, you could just throw and pray for a hit, and sometimes it works, but most of the time you need to think about the placement of Peach and where she is at all times during the match.
Most new players simply throw out attacks, I mean, Don't we all when we first start playing? But Peach just isn't one of those characters of which you can just attack and cross your fingers.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts and opinions on her playstyle and how she is used by newer players.
Yeah, now that you point that out I forgot about Sheik. Let me revise my answer.

1. Jigglypuff
2. Sheik
3. Marth?
4. Peach (I think)

Green_Bluebird

Smash Rookie
I'll forever stand by the easiest characters being Sheik and Marth, and that's what's been said, but I'll elaborate a bit.

Either way, you have basic skills mastered with any character, including shorthopping, fastfalling, L-cancelling, etc. You also need to be able to wavedash consistently, do it out of shield, waveland on platforms, ledgedash, every use of it. Master it. That goes for almost any character. If you simply cannot wavedash (there's no reason you can't though, it's just two buttons), then go Puff. But back to Marth and Sheik.

Marth has a lower skill floor but a much higher skillcap. You can be decent at Marth VERY easily. There's a reason pretty much every pro player plays Marth on stream from time to time. He has an insane focus on fundamentals and spacing, not much techskill involved, just a lot of trying to be smarter and think faster than your opponent. He's REALLY hard to master though, for the same reason. Your mind has got to be a supercomputer beyond anything a Fox main's fingerspeed can accomplish, because Marth's game is all about knowing your opponents options, and knowing all of your options that you can use to keep him from using whatever option he may choose. But yeah, really easy techskill.

Sheik has a little bit of a higher skill floor. You can't just throw out a big hitbox and hope for the best like Marth can. But once you've learned Sheik, you're already a lot closer to mastering her. She's a fairly one-dimensional character compared to Marth. You have your set options, you learn to use them, you're good to go.

This is all my humble understanding of the game so take it with a grain of salt, but it's some of the thought that went into me picking who to use as a secondary, so I figured it might be helpful.

Last edited:
Fun is subjective. Some might think Jigglypuff is more fun than Peach

Ah, that's where I disagree. Suure Peach is a fun character to play but if you want results? Play Sheik or Jiggs,
Peach isn't good enough? She's 1 of the viable 8

Peach is a surprisingly high level character in terms of how much knowledge you need to know about the character before-hand.
How to float, CC dsmash, and throw turnips? Those are her most essential moves. What else is needed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect It has nothing to do with character choices

What world do you live in where hitting Marth's fsmash is easy yet Peach stuff is hard? Marth's fsmash lasts so shortly, has a lot of lag, and he even leans forward during the lag, begging to get it

New Peaches don't know how to utilise her float correctly as it is a hard thing to understand
Floats are a really easy thing to understand and it's a very easy thing to perform. New players probably don't know how to utilize most of anything correctly when they start anyways

They don't know when, and when not to pull turnips, they don't know when to throw them of where to throw them. Sure, you could just throw and pray for a hit, and sometimes it works, but most of the time you need to think about the placement of Peach and where she is at all times during the match.
Actually, simply just throwing turnips is still a good strategy for low-mid level play. Turnips simply occupy space, forcing the opponent to parry, dodge, shield, or get hit by it. Pulling turnips is more difficult because Peach needs them. They're so good for her neutral game. But if she pulls them when the opponent is too close, she'll get hit for it. If she doesn't pull an item, she'll lose it if the animation doesn't finish. The whole animation lasts 29 frames which can be a lot of time. The average human reaction time is only about half of that. Players should also consider how far an opponent can hit within 29 frames - their reaction time

Peach has the highest priority. She will win/trade most challenges. At low level, players challenge Peach too often which is exactly what a Peach should want

Your pool of new players could be different from what I know about how Peach is played[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I beg to differ on anyone that think Marth doesn't require much tech in a competitive setting. Marth has virtually no freebie* setups like pretty much all the other viable characters, and has to be on point to get kills at earlier percents. If you watch some of the up and coming Marth players, you will notice the amazing amount of tech they have acquired, and it will be a requirement in order to be a 'good' player.

* - Freebie in this sense means that he has no easy kill setups, like throw + aerial kill move. Almost everything that can kill won't if the opponent DI's correctly, and ending a combo with a kill requires a lot of thought and precision.

Last edited:

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I think this would be a good time to ask: What do you guys consider to be "tech skill" when you answer this thread? Just wavedashing and L-cancelling? Or more?

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I think this would be a good time to ask: What do you guys consider to be "tech skill" when you answer this thread? Just wavedashing and L-cancelling? Or more?
Well every character uses those so they might as well not count.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Well every character uses those so they might as well not count.
Would you mind elaborating on what you would consider to be tech skill then?

When I said Puff first, then Peach, I meant in terms of wavedashing and L-cancelling being necessary to play those characters.

Green_Bluebird

Smash Rookie

When I said Puff first, then Peach, I meant in terms of wavedashing and L-cancelling being necessary to play those characters.
Controlling wavedash length, perfect wavedashes/wavelands, Haxdashing, ledgedashing, Scarjumping, moonwalking, perfect SHFFL aerials, waveshines, DJC aerials, good movement in general is techskill. L-cancelling is just a button press, and wavedashing is just airdodging into the ground. Neither of these things are difficult. They can be a pain in the a** to learn for new players, but not difficult.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Fun is subjective. Some might think Jigglypuff is more fun than Peach

Peach isn't good enough? She's 1 of the viable 8
That was badly worded on my part. What I was trying to say was with almost no knowledge I thought you would have a better chance at results with those characters other than Peach.

How to float, CC dsmash, and throw turnips? Those are her most essential moves. What else is needed?
Yes, they are the most essential but playing Peach with only them I presume won't get you very far.

I don't understand with what you replied. What I wrote is barely relevant.

What world do you live in where hitting Marth's fsmash is easy yet Peach stuff is hard? Marth's fsmash lasts so shortly, has a lot of lag, and he even leans forward during the lag, begging to get it
When has the F-Smash not been hard to hit? Big range, big knockback. With a functioning thumb you can move Marth quickly so you can cover a huge distance.

Floats are a really easy thing to understand and it's a very easy thing to perform. New players probably don't know how to utilize most of anything correctly when they start anyways
Float is easy to understand but as it's unique to her character her playstyle differs much more than Marths to Sheiks. Probably not as easy to understand properly.

Actually, simply just throwing turnips is still a good strategy for low-mid level play. Turnips simply occupy space, forcing the opponent to parry, dodge, shield, or get hit by it. Pulling turnips is more difficult because Peach needs them. They're so good for her neutral game. But if she pulls them when the opponent is too close, she'll get hit for it. If she doesn't pull an item, she'll lose it if the animation doesn't finish. The whole animation lasts 29 frames which can be a lot of time. The average human reaction time is only about half of that. Players should also consider how far an opponent can hit within 29 frames - their reaction time
I agree with you on the random throwing, but the turnip pulling? Newer players (I personally think) are quite slow compared to more experienced ones and probably underestimate how fast you can punish somebody in this game, pull turnips at the wrong time and you're getting punished.

Peach has the highest priority. She will win/trade most challenges. At low level, players challenge Peach too often which is exactly what a Peach should want
I'm talking about low level Peach, high level everything else.

Your pool of new players could be different from what I know about how Peach is played
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
The ability to do the actions that you plan to do via inputs is tech skill. Pretty much anything having to do with execution and not a mental decision.

Hot Toddy

Smash Cadet
Honestly as a Puff main, I would say puff is the answer here (for easiest tech). What you're looking for though, is Falcon or Fox. They will both teach you the fundamentals and give some decent tech skill. After playing one of these characters for a good while you can choose if you want to stick with the character or branch off to another character.

Top Bottom