• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Character Did You Vote For & Why?

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
I was going to vote for Ridley/K.Rool/Snake, but couldn't decide which, and because I'm pretty sure Nintendo already know how popular they were, so instead I went for a swing vote!

Scizor, because Gen ll needed some rep that wasn't Pichu, and because starters are boring!

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I voted for Ice Climbers because I want my babies back D:

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Alright, here's who I've voted for in the Smash ballot;
  • Ridley (highly requested character who is an all-star of the Metroid franchise)
  • Tyrantrum (a popular Pokemon who would be unique from the other Pokemon on the roster)
  • King K.Rool (a hugely requested character that has great potential for moves and costumes.)
I'll support these three to the bitter end, no doubts about it.

Last edited:

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Out of all the indie characters Shovel Knight seems to have the most support. I really doubt Sakurai is going to allow it though. He's an old dog that has been making games for his entire adult life. I really doubt he cares about the indie game scene as much as many of us do anappreciates the impact they are having on the industry.
It feels bad to speculate what Sakurai's thoughts on things are without knowing, and I wish I could read Sakurai's column in Famitsu (or whatever else magazine it was) and get the temperature for what his feelings would be..

But if Sakurai still is enthusiastic about games and has time to play others and have his time thinking about them, there's a big chance he's into indie games, even moreso since they have a chance to be more experimental in many areas. I'd wonder if any characters from western indie games would have any chance (less so if their games haven't been released in Japan). If so, Shovel Knight probably has a good chance. I wouldn't be surprised if that'd coincide with some sort of japanese release of Shovel Knight.

Sakurai has expressed the opinion that he likes Steam's digital storefront the most out of all of them. Take that as you will. http://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-is-totally-impressed-with-steam-1688148315

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
It should come as no surprise, given my avatar, that my vote went to the true gentleman that is Professor Layton. Why do I think he is suitable? Well:

-Diverse moveset possibilities: proven capability in fencing, inventions such as the Slot Machine Gun, St. Mystere Glider and the Catapult, and in-game nuances from the hundreds of puzzles could build a moveset simply. These diversities offer a lot of "mind-game" potential which would make him a very interesting character.

-15 million game sales across seven games. Well above StarFox and just shy of Metroid, so relevancy with respect to sales is not an issue.

-High popularity on tumblr and Twitter, strong female support, (a demographic Nintendo want to expand within Smash) and placed highly on many gaming news websites' "characters that should be in Smash" lists. Was rumoured to be a character included in Brawl, and rumours of his inclusion have been circulating since. These rumours need to be put to bed with his inclusion.

-The Layton franchise debuted on the DS, and we have yet to receive a character from a franchise that debuted on the DS or 3DS. Only Greninja, Lucario and Lucina debuted on these consoles, which need more representation.

-A colourful cast of characters populate the Layton games, offering interesting alternate costumes, assist trophies and more. And the music would be to die for.

-Layton epitomises the unique staple (3)DS character, and was one of the first franchises to truly explore the touch screen functionality. Liked internally by Nintendo, too; Nintendo UK's website lists him in their character hub, even above the likes of Pikachu and just shy of Link.

-We need a puzzle game representative that isn't Dr. Mario, and actually incorporates puzzle elements. With platformer, adventure, minigame, open-world, arcade, RPG, FPS, fantasy, second life, sports, sci-fi, racing, and even more genres represented, a genuine and hearty foray into the puzzle genre is needed.

-Although third party in Japan, Level-5 and NoJ are very close. Note the availability of the Inazuma Eleven anime on the Nintendo Anime Channel. Layton is a second party character elsewhere published by Nintendo, akin to Pokemon.

-Layton's creators have already stated they would willingly work with the Smash team to make his inclusion a reality.

And as a final point:
-If you don't want to play a game where you can see a top-hat wearing London archaeologist murder a dinosaur, while smiling from behind his beady eyes, by blasting it to death with a machine gun that shoots coins, you kind of need to re-evaluate that position.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I usually don't like to speculate about what people think, but it's hard to come up with more than an opinion when it comes to Sakurai sometimes. That guy keeps his cards close to his chest.

Also i doubt he is even capable of playing Shovel Knight given us current state =(

Last edited:

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
FTFY. While I don't have nearly as much fondness for the bandicoot as I do the dragon, I will admit that both characters have had an almost equal impact on videogames. Their history is so closely intertwined that they're practically brothers. If it weren't for Skylanders, I'd say that neither character deserves to get in any more than the other. And how hype would it be if they BOTH made it in?
Yeah, Spyro and Crash are closely associated with each other. Perhaps their games aren't necessarily comparable, but I dunno. I could never get into Crash that much. They'll both be in Crusade or whatever, though. For now, we dream. :~)

Spyro and crash wEre so close they had spin offs in the other's world (crash :purple, spyro : orange)

If only they wre both still as great as the ps1 era :(

JiNinja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hydro_jin
I voted for Isaac. I think he'd have a really fun moveset with the psynergy potential and even a cool Djinn summon as a final smash.

But i think Takamaru and Lloyd Irving would also be great choices. Takamaru because he was actually considered as a character. Lloyd would be easy to implement a moveset since tales games battle controls are similar to smash and he has a good array of moves.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Take a wild guess who I voted for. :smirk:

And it's true that Banjo is my most wanted, always has been and always will be (well, unless he gets in), but when you've been actively supporting a character since Brawl you feel a lot more invested in them I've found.

Gawd I hope we get both, but I'm not going to delude myself. I'd be plenty plenty happy just getting one. Who would most likely be Isaac over Banjo.

But I just feel so happy in general because all three of my most wanted (the two aforementioned plus Inkling) have the best chances they're going to have for... the foreseeable future at the very least. No accounting for actual likelihood, but if we got all three, oh my gawd I'd be in nirvana. *o*

And at the very least, if we do ever get a GS4, I think mixed with the apparent results of this poll, a GS character would be all but a lock.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I voted for Isaac. I think he'd have a really fun moveset with the psynergy potential and even a cool Djinn summon as a final smash.
Screw the Djinnis, let his final smash be Judgement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CMHy3eRrRo

Maybe a full-field hit would be too harsh - Let's be real, even for casual play things like Olimar's End of Day or Ness' PK Starstorm are too broken to be considered good design. Maybe it should be an AoE centered on Isaac, or maybe something like Link's Triforce Cutter, Ike's Great Aether, or even Falcon's Vehicular Manslaughter.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
All this Takamaru love is suddenly making me happy, but I think these votes would only be enough to have him saved until the next game. I can't imagine Assist Trophies being promoted to playable just for DLC this time around.

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
I voted more times than I likely should have, but I put Mona at number one. WarioWare deserves another rep, and since Ashley's an assist (not that I would have voted for her anyway) Mona's the best bet. Plus, if she gets in, Wario can be more WarioLand based in the future, since there will be less pressure put on him to rep a whole franchise.

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
Why Baby Bowser? also would you put him as part of the Mario franchise or the Yoshi franchise?
Baby Bowser because I want a heavy hitter that's lightweight. He would be a Yoshi rep, but would take some things from Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, such as using a hammer.

That1GuyB4

Smash Rookie
Bruh, Sami and Andy from Advance Wars. Was there even any other choice?

I sure hope Nintendo will remember this franchise and bring out some newer games and release the old ones on the 3DS eshop.

Last edited:

JiNinja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hydro_jin
Which flavor? Cat, Paper, Metal, Baby, Tanooki, Racoon, Penguin, Bee, Double Cherry, Boo, Spring.....
I hate playing as mario in Smash, but I'd play the hell out of him if there was character costume DLC and Mario got a cat alt. Hell I'd play Peach too! And dolphinately Luigi

Megakoopax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Supermario196
3DS FC
2320-6609-3767
I voted for Shrek because he deserves to be playable, but for real I voted for King K. Rool and Bandana Dee. To be honest since Mewtwo and Lucas already returned Wolf is pretty much confirmed.

Top Bottom