• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Character Changes Did You Notice?

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
The title says it all.
It was crazy time for everyone due to the major information overload for the new game.

10 of thousands.png

With that in mind, what caught your eye?

For me, it had to be Doc's new Dair:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
For some of my favorite characters, one change is that Kirby has his flaming dash attack from Melee.
Another change is that R.O.B.'s down throw buries the opponent instead of launching them upwards.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Copying from my Ike thread post:
Alright, going over the changes:

Confirmed:
Default Ike is now Path of Radiance Ike
Idle Stance now uses his limp arm Path of Radiance stance (Even if wearing the Radiant Dawn costume)
Up-Air is no longer helicopter, quick overhead arcing slash.
Down-B now has a blue flame effect
Neutral-B now causes multiple ranged explosions expanding outwards at a certain charge
Radiant Dawn Ike now voiced slightly differently compared to Path of Radiance Ike
Great Aether has new cinematic shot at the beginning

Uncomfirmed:
Aerials (especially Forward Air) have decreased ending lag, possibly none
Ike now moves faster
Ike's Smashes now have less startup/endlag

TLDR; NO ****ING SWORD BEAAAAAAAAAAAMS

Will edit as more Ike info gets released.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Falco, along with Fox and Wolf, got the """streamlined""" final smash edits---now it's a Captain Falcon style swoosh hit cinematic.​
Strangely saw no gameplay from any of them, not even Fox, today. I heard Tafo said Fox got nerfed heavily.

For the first time, I don't loathe Falco's default costume.
https://i.imgur.com/w4SmGXn.png

w4SmGXn.png

Good coloring and fine detail. His feathers are too lightly colored, though, perhaps.

Sakurai stated in the Direct that Ryu always faces the opponent now, no backturns; but shouldn't that not work outside of a one on one?
I guess bair will only see use in crossups; supposedly, he wouldn't be able to use it in edgeguarding, except to get a stage spike.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
Ganondorf's smashes uses a sword and his dash speed seems slightly faster

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
From the Zelda thread:
Din's no longer puts into freefall
A fully charged Phantom Slash stays in place for a second while Zelda is free to move, before lunging very fast. (there's actually a lot of changes to how Phantom Slash works)

Roy and Lil Mac and now reverse their Neutral Bs while charging.

DDD can swallow and spit out his own Gordo.

Jiggs has some level of reduced endlag on rollout, not certain the extent of which though.

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I noticed Tink has a new fsmash, all of his smashes could be new, which would separate him enough from young link that neither needs to be an echo fighter
Edit: Didn't open the spoiler before posting, oops

Last edited:

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
I noticed Ganon can airdodge after using his Up B. Not sure if that's the airdodge mechanic, or Ganon's up B mechanic, but it I saw it.

EDIT: I'm wrong.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
-Little Mac does not go into free fall after Jolt Haymaker (Side-B), shown in his website trailer

-Pac-Man has a new up-tilt, being a punch instead of a headbutt like in Smash 4.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:4pit:: His Smash attacks seem to actually connect consistently, Upperdash might have a better knockback ignoring the knockback changes already done to the game, Upperdash+smash attacks have new animation style, new or faster jab infinite, new animation for his victory poses, seems to be stronger than the last two games in general and he’s got a new Star KO line saying “I Never Learned How To Read”...I feel like a happy boy so far

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Luigi and Mario (the former in particular) have received animation tweaks to give them more personality. Luigi actually appears to have entirely new moves, which is great.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
:4bowser: has a completely different down smash, a forward and back claw slash. (It was shown for a brief moment in the Treehouse today)
The animation for Whirling Fortress is different.
Flying Slam seems to cause an explosion every time he lands.
Dashing speed seems to be faster (I could be wrong on this)
Bowser Bomb seems faster (Again, I could be wrong on this)

Last edited:
Top Bottom