• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Can't Be Seen Can Be Fought

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Last time I checked, human sight made up 80% of our sensory input. Computers, Books, and sports all rely on sight. Our eyes are powerful tools. They can automatically move and focus on moving objects at variable depths. Countless rods and cones constantly turn light into electronic signals that are interpreted by our brain as images or video. Video games: the key word being “video.” We’ve all played games with broken controllers. We’ve all played with garbled or no sound. But have we played with no visuals? Is that even possible? I’ll always choose to see Smash rather than not. But what about the other 20% of our sensory input? In order to become a better smasher, we have to put this residual percent to use.

<!--more-->

Taste and smell are out the window, leaving us to focus on touch and sound. We’ll start with touch. The only thing that connects you to the game is your controller. Grip it as tightly or loosely as you want. Nintendo makes their products to last. As long as you’re not playing with a wavebird, you can use the controller’s rumble features. Rumble can be a very effective tool. Let’s face it: eyes are great but they only can do so much. Eyes can only focus on one thing at a time. Also, it takes time to sweep them across the TV screen. Having rumble allows you to keep your eyes focused on other parts of the screen. Instead of waiting for you character to hit the ground, you can wait for the rumble and move your eyes to other areas. Though rumble isn’t as accurate as sight, using your eyes in new ways is the key.

Sound. Have you played Melee without the music on? I suggest that everyone tries this at least once. You’ll notice that everything in the game has a distinct sound. My favorites are the echoes on Final Destination, and the sound of the steam rising off your body after you’re burned from a fire attack. If you train your ears well enough, you can “see” what happens in the match even when you’re not looking. You can hear when your opponents dash, jump, attack, dodge, or do signature moves like the Falcon Punch. In the same fashion, the different parts of the gamecube controller makes different sounds. Use that piece of knowledge however you want.

Even if you don’t want to become a better smasher, you can appreciate all the hard work that was put into Smash.

C

CJ

Wow. That is crazy. Really smart too. I never thought of it that way but for now I think I’ll continue to play with my eyes.

S

Sneaky

I guess this would be helpful to those who get distracted by the backgrounds.

K

Karleko

I’ve been playing without music in the game for a while now. I’ve gotten complaints about how my opponents weren’t used to just the hitting sounds, blaming their losses on the lack of music. Now we all play withoutg music.

J

Jammin

I play with rumble on. I’m not sure why I see so many people turning it off during tournaments. It rumbles when you’re stunned and I think also if you do a smash? I need some confirmations.

As for sound, it helps me know if I’ve used a double jump. That’s pretty much it I think.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Definiely smart, and I tried that FD thing too. It actually works…sheer genious! I think I’ll start using rumble again, though I usually don’t care if it’s on or smart, genious thinking=super intelligent!

S

Someone

Smash Bros. Special Mode:
BLANK SCREEN MODE
Review:
When I tried it, It started badly, trailed off a bit in the middle, and the ending was just horrible. But apart from that, it was great.
Score:
0/0

S

Sneaky

Perhaps you should try a different name, Falco. That’s a start.

M

METROID MAN

GOOD LORD KIRBY KID! I CAN SEE YOU SITTING IN A ROOM WITH A BLIND FOLD ON PLAYING SMASH BROS , AND DOING VERY WELL. ONCE YOU WERE DONE PLAYING, AN ASIAN GONG WOULD SOUND AND YOU WOULD DISAPEAR IN A PUFF OF SMOKE AND RUN ACROSS THE ROOF TOPS…….

S

Sneaky

We get it, you think he would do well without sight. However, all the yelling is going to shatter his eardrums, defeating the point of this blog article.

F

FalcoFollower

My name could use some editing. How about this guys?

M

Master Makoku

Yeah thats better. Now i know you dont f*ck falco’s. Oh and good blog as always.

C

CJ

Nice you just commanded yourself to make a sandwich. Why does Kirbykid make such good articles? I know the others do but his are outstanding.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
^^^
Don’t worry. I edited Falco’s comment. I don’t think he wants to change his name at all.

F

Falcofucker

I dont understand why my comments continue to get deleated. I think im going to challenge kirby to a duel. If he beats me ill change my name. If i win…i can curse al i want!

S

Sneaky

If you win you can curse all you want? O_o You do that anyway.

S

Someone

It’s not just a matter of Falco[explicit] changing his name, it’s that his posts are full of crap. Nothing I’ve seen from him was worth reading seriously.

F

Falcofucker

^ SHut up you dirtfaced Jewbag…then dont read my posts you ignorant bafoon

D

DoH

Sound effects are great for learning the timing of difficult technical feats, like powershielding Falco’s dair into a Peach downsmash ;)

F

Falcofucker

Falco makes more noise if you switch the language to japaneese

F

Falcofucker

LOL I HATE JAPANESSE PEOPLE! They always get games before us

S

Sneaky

Necessary venting aside, they do get a lot of things first. At least we get a more violent Dead Rising. Anyway, Falco making more noise doesn’t help train players’ senses much.

S

Sneaky

Of course there is. Import if you’re rich and frivolous enough to buy superfluous accesories for videogames that come in a language that is otherwise esoteric in importance to you.

And if Japanese is your native language, the above does not apply to you. But to the rest (especially to those who don’t know Japanese yet) then face it. You either long for a translator, or you don’t care about the text.

Top Bottom