• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What can I do to improve my Greninja? (videos inside)

Robiin

Smash Cadet
I need some input. I finally met a fairly equally skilled opponent online, with an okay connection as well. We played a few matches, and basically went 3-3 or something. So I saved a few replays and uploaded them to youtube. I would love some input on what I'm doing wrong, or right, and if you could give me some suggestions as to how I should improve my game, because I reeeally love this character! Keep in mind this is online and therefore there is a little bit of input lag, which does impact split-second decisions.

Also, the best camera I have is my S5.. so I dont know about the quality, but at least you can tell what's going on.

Game 1 (vs ZSS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnA_4jJ45Dw&list=UUhDp3ncU3DwxrDl79sBe2Hg

Game 2 (vs Sheik)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdJBKOI-twM&list=UUhDp3ncU3DwxrDl79sBe2Hg

Game 3 (vs ZSS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSkUvRB0THY

Acton

Smash Journeyman
I think you should zone a little more with the shurikens, and def mix it up with shadow sneak! I love using short hop shuriken mindgames forcing them to approach. I switch between that and being aggro. I only watched the first video though. I thought you where using dair to much. Tbh using dair into side b seems like an unsafe gimmick to me! Its a good mix up but doing it more then once or twice makes it easy to read! It was definitely a good match though! Keep in mind that I was a falco main in brawl! Lmao. I see a lot of similarities between the two though imo!

Spirst

I think you should zone a little more with the shurikens, and def mix it up with shadow sneak! I love using short hop shuriken mindgames forcing them to approach. I switch between that and being aggro. I only watched the first video though. I thought you where using dair to much. Tbh using dair into side b seems like an unsafe gimmick to me! Its a good mix up but doing it more then once or twice makes it easy to read! It was definitely a good match though! Keep in mind that I was a falco main in brawl! Lmao. I see a lot of similarities between the two though imo!
Doing d-air>side-b is definitely not something to make a habit of. If the opponent catches on, Greninja's reappearance animation has a bit of ending lag to it at which point he can be easily punished. It works as a surprise tactic if you think they won't expect it but yeah, don't make it a real thing.

To Robiin, I suggest you try being a bit more mobile. Greninja is a really speedy character so try to make the most of it. I usually move around to bait the opponent by doing a number of fastfalled shorthops. Pivot grabs and shield grabs are also really useful as you can go into an uthrow-usmash/uair from there. In the ZSS match, I noticed you missed a number of grab opportunities. Punishing will go a long way.

Last edited:

Robiin

Smash Cadet
Acton and Spirst, first of all, thanks for watching! The dair to side-b has become a habit, I just see I am above the opponent and I dair by instinct, then side-b beacuse of some muscle memory (because I spent ages doing it in training mode when someone posted that you can cancel the landing lag with Shadow Sneak).

I will try to be a bit more mobile! I just hate the circle pad and keep dashing instead of walking, so when i dont wanna dash I just end up standing or short hopping in place. I've started to grab more as well, it's deffinitely very useful, but I hate the charged smash I get hit with when I miss my grab.

Spurst: When you say fast fallen short hops, do you mean empty ones? To bait someone into acting? I'll try to implement that as well.

I have gotten a bit better though, I must say. I had a 30 second match against a Little Mac yesterday which was silly. I've goten better with aiming the Hydro Pump also, it's really useful. I've saved a good few replays since I started the thread, might post if anyone would like to give me a hand in becoming a better player :)

Top Bottom