• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What button do you use for jump?

Reth92

Smash Cadet
I'm on wiichuck too and I use c mostly to jump otherwise doing the up tilt > thunder setup is quite impossible. And as pika main I LOVE thunder setups

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
I use Wiimote + nunchuck so I always use up on the d-pad. It can be a bit awkward at times when I accidentally press side and do a dodge in the air without wanting to but I got used to it.
Every Smash game's controller had the jump buttons on the right side so I'm used to that. Can't use c on the nunchuck, feels too awkward.

Sobia6464

Smash Cadet
Well it depends actually...

Y for when I want to do N-Air
X for normal jumping reasons
Tap jump if I'm trying to do D-Air close to the ground shortly after jumping, or if I'm QACing with Pika.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I use X nine times out of ten. I use tap jump a pretty decent bit as well, mostly for OoS stuff and recovering (since I don't have my finger on the X button that way, I can rest it on the B button and have slightly more time to react to whatever the opponent does. Or maybe that's just my way of reasoning out my habit). I use R button to jump when I'm on the ground about to use Falco's side B so I can perform it immediately instead of wasting time by moving my hand from the X to the B button.

Thinking about it, I should probably use R to jump when recovering instead of tap jump so as to minimize the chances of making a mistaken input, but I kind of want to stay in that habit since I use it in Melee as well.

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
I turn off tap jump, and I too use R to jump.

R seems like a very unpopular button to set for jump, but when I first started playing I used default controls. So, when I needed to shield, I would always press L. Then I started maining Yoshi, and would always end up jumping when I wanted to egg toss, so I turned off tap jump and set R to jump since I typically dont like using X or Y and I'm so so so used to using L to shield.

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
I turn off tap jump and use X.

Varg Foad

Smash Cadet
I use Y, it's an old habit from Melee. Tap jump is off because of Utilts. Maybe I'll try to jump with L when I play Snake. When I pull out a nade, I can't jump and keep it because I have to hold B.

Toon Link 99

Smash Cadet
I jump with X, but for some reason, never with Y. I use tap jump sometimes when I use MK, mostly because of his Up Air juggling. With other characters, I always turn it off. Especially for Samus, Snake and Kirby.

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
i prefer using the L button to jump and i love it. its much easier to do air moves. i still have x and y set to jump though but tap jump if off. (thank goodness) now i can actually use up tilits

Top Bottom