• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Brawl could learn from Halo 3

ZuluAssassin

Smash Rookie
I've been looking at all the fancy new bells and whistles that Bungie has given Halo 3, and I think that some of them could translate over to Brawl very well. For example....

Saved Films

Now, I don't know if technically, the Wii can handle this, but I think it's an awesome idea for Smash. Imagine all the times that you wished you could show your friend that crazy KO you pulled off. Let the player edit footage and watch from different camera views and it's awesome. Now allow Saved Films to be sent to other Wii consoles online, and you've got a great addition to Brawl.

Another subset of Saved Films (or if the Wii can't handle Saved Films) would be to utilize an instant replay function. Basically, at any point in a match, the last 30 seconds would be recorded, so when you press pause, instead of simply a screenshot, you could rewind, fast foward, slow motion etc. possibly from different viewpoints.

Forge

OK, I'm not suggesting a full blown map editor w/ little robots flying around dropping Bomb-ombs and banana peels everywhere. For Smash, I was thinking more along the lines of creating special item or Final Smash spawns. This could possibly allow for fair item matches (i.e. the same item spawning at the same time in two places or in a neutral place) and allow use of Final Smashes.

Plus, something a little more adventurous could be editable KO zones. Imagine being able to create a super high ceiling for a level or a tiny fighting area for fun. Or even creating completely isolated KO zones, like a circle in the very center of a level; a black hole of doom...
I'm sure there's plenty of other of map editing ideas I'm missing but I thought I'd start the discussion.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
yea a stage creation thingymajiger would be nice...as well as a Video Mode thing....and I finally realize why people have been putting 10CHARACTERS after stuff like QFT......hee hee

Arteen

Smash Lord
I agree. Bungie's setting out to drastically raise the bar on what multiplayer can be in a console game. I'd like Nintendo to take few cues from them and implement a better online, map customization options and saved films. Brawl could benefit from Forge-esque features as you mentioned certainly, but Brawl could definitely go farther and include a basic level creation and editing mode.

It would be impossible to satisfactorily implement a map creation tool into Halo 3 due to the sheer complexity of the map-making process and Halo 3 limited as a console game (although it's certainly possible when dealing with the PC versions of Halo), but Brawl could easily include one, where the player is given a variety of different, rotatable platform types, item and player spawn markers, and so forth. If anyone remembers the old game "The Incredible Machine," I could see it working similarly to that.

No one would be creating the next WarioWare stage, or even the next Delfino or Halberd, but Battlefield, Final Destination, and Skyworld-like stages would certainly be possible. This would give the game even higher replay value. And if they could be shared like Forge maps in Halo 3... it would be fantastic. Not to mention sharing saved films and screenshots.

ZuluAssassin

Smash Rookie
I agree. Bungie's setting out to drastically raise the bar on what multiplayer can be in a console game. I'd like Nintendo to take few cues from them and implement a better online, map customization options and saved films. Brawl could benefit from Forge-esque features as you mentioned certainly, but Brawl could definitely go farther and include a basic level creation and editing mode.

It would be impossible to satisfactorily implement a map creation tool into Halo 3 due to the sheer complexity of the map-making process and Halo 3 limited as a console game (although it's certainly possible when dealing with the PC versions of Halo), but Brawl could easily include one, where the player is given a variety of different, rotatable platform types, item and player spawn markers, and so forth. If anyone remembers the old game "The Incredible Machine," I could see it working similarly to that.

No one would be creating the next WarioWare stage, or even the next Delfino or Halberd, but Battlefield, Final Destination, and Skyworld-like stages would certainly be possible. This would give the game even higher replay value. And if they could be shared like Forge maps in Halo 3... it would be fantastic. Not to mention sharing saved films and screenshots.
Very true, I never even considered a full-blown map creation system. I'd love to see that as well.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
You are going to get flamed to hell. Here *gives flame shield*

I made a thread about spectator mode months ago, I doubt it'll happen but I made it anyway.

Banks

Smash Hero
the two things that were left out: not knowing who you're playing (w/o codes) and ranks

it would have been infinitely better if just ONE of those was included. but instead there are no names or stat tracking. besides being fun its like theres no "point" to playing. yea itll be fun and ill play it a ****load, but its like a time waster when you cant see if you are doing well, who you are beating etc. not that its a bad thing to play games for fun only, but wow nintendo sucks at online gaming.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
So in other words a ranking system is required for ego-boosting in order for it to be any good? Nintendo gains no money from the online play compared to most situations, including X-box LIVE which makes a difference in what they're willing to do.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
No, ranking stops you from getting a constant stream of noobs. Please do not tell me people will just beat noobs for a higher rank, only an idiotic designer would allow that to happen.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
I've been looking at all the fancy new bells and whistles that Bungie has given Halo 3, and I think that some of them could translate over to Brawl very well. For example....

Saved Films

Now, I don't know if technically, the Wii can handle this, but I think it's an awesome idea for Smash. Imagine all the times that you wished you could show your friend that crazy KO you pulled off. Let the player edit footage and watch from different camera views and it's awesome. Now allow Saved Films to be sent to other Wii consoles online, and you've got a great addition to Brawl.

Another subset of Saved Films (or if the Wii can't handle Saved Films) would be to utilize an instant replay function. Basically, at any point in a match, the last 30 seconds would be recorded, so when you press pause, instead of simply a screenshot, you could rewind, fast foward, slow motion etc. possibly from different viewpoints.

Forge

OK, I'm not suggesting a full blown map editor w/ little robots flying around dropping Bomb-ombs and banana peels everywhere. For Smash, I was thinking more along the lines of creating special item or Final Smash spawns. This could possibly allow for fair item matches (i.e. the same item spawning at the same time in two places or in a neutral place) and allow use of Final Smashes.

Plus, something a little more adventurous could be editable KO zones. Imagine being able to create a super high ceiling for a level or a tiny fighting area for fun. Or even creating completely isolated KO zones, like a circle in the very center of a level; a black hole of doom...
I'm sure there's plenty of other of map editing ideas I'm missing but I thought I'd start the discussion.
Ssbb will be good as is. they dont need fancy features and stuff to get there audience attention.

Puffs

Smash Ace
You're saying Brawl's online play should be like Halo's?

Call Dr. Mario, one of his patients got loose.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I think that was a false Rumor i checked the site and super smadh bros brawl was nowhere to be found.

or i can just be blind:)
Actually, SSBB was up there sometime ago but was mysteriously removed. Featured abilities such as Footstool Jumping and rolling crates only further increase this rumor's belief. Didn't you know that Brawl used to be on the list?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
No, ranking stops you from getting a constant stream of noobs. Please do not tell me people will just beat noobs for a higher rank, only an idiotic designer would allow that to happen.
What would it matter if they did? You beat them, you move on that's how the random thing works. Sometimes you'll run into someone very good and sometimes someone awful but without ranking it really doesn't matter now does it?

I don't enjoy games with ranking because often times that what it's all about is the rank.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Ssbb will be good as is. they dont need fancy features and stuff to get there audience attention.
In Halo 3, they are more than gimmicks "to get... audience attention." A level editor for Brawl would be fantastic. Given enough options, it would greatly enhance the Brawl multiplayer experience and make it even more replayable. Think that there are too many imbalanced levels? Create a few simple Battlefield-esque levels with no hazards, just the way you like it. Upset that there are no huge multitiered Temple-esque levels? Make your own! Ever wanted to see how Final Destination would play if the very center was a hazard panel or air vent? Try it out! Wondered how to fairly implement items in a match? Set up a single item spawn in the center so each player has a fair shot at it. Did you make the most fun level known to man? Share it online so all your friends can try it out!

As a two-dimensional game with short matches, saved films wouldn't be as useful as they are in Halo, but being able to share matches between different Wiis would be very neat, and it would be fascinating to watch pivital moments in MLG matches frame-by-frame with no quality loss, or to share (nd preserve) memorable moments in Brawling.

Of course, Brawl will be just fine without it. But it could still be much more.

You're saying Brawl's online play should be like Halo's?

Call Dr. Mario, one of his patients got loose.
What, you don't want Brawl's online to be good?

2nd Stamp

Smash Ace
What could Brawl learn from Halo 3? Well let me think..

Brute Hammers own Golden Hammers
Bubble shields are better then reflectors
Banshee's are the better Halberd
A Covenant is way cooler then a Primid
4 Player Co-Op is better then "A Robust Single Player Adventure".
High Definition Xbox 360 graphics are better then Gamecube models *points at Kirby*
High Ground is hotter then Isle Delfino.
Forge is better then "Special Brawl".
16 player online anyone?

and ofcourse, my favourite:

A stickie grenade to the *** is better then a knee to the face.

Still I love SmashBros. better then Halo 3 =3
(Yes, I've played the demo for Halo and Im buying it this week)

booster2

Smash Rookie
i dont see what the big deal about the "forge" is ,thats the worst excuse for a level editor i have ever seen(its pretty much the sonic debug,not a level editor(its an item mover)))i agree with the first though(second if they have a "real" editor

Skylicious

Smash Rookie
What Halo could learn from Brawl? What could Brawl learn from Halo? Nothing. You can't compare two games that have nothing in common besides Multiplayer, it makes no sense. And I personally think halo sucks. But that's just my opinion.

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
I hope you people dont forgot that Halo is a 1st person shooter and SSB a fighting game. There not the same genre, so why collate the both.
the only thing what Nintendo could learn from Halo is how to build a hype.

4 Player Co-Op is better then "A Robust Single Player Adventure".
You know what "Single Player Adventure" means?
And SSBB is NOT a Shooter.

High Definition Xbox 360 graphics are better then Gamecube models *points at Kirby*
Wii ist not a Xbox360. SSBB is not a Shooter.

16 player online anyone?
SSBB is NOT a Shooter and is not build for 16 player ...

2nd Stamp

Smash Ace
I hope you people dont forgot that Halo is a 1st person shooter and SSB a fighting game. There not the same genre, so why collate the both.
the only thing what Nintendo could learn from Halo is how to build a hype.

You know what "Single Player Adventure" means?
And SSBB is NOT a Shooter.

Wii ist not a Xbox360. SSBB is not a Shooter.

SSBB is NOT a Shooter and is not build for 16 player ...
Blame topic name for that, this is about the discussion.
And yes, a Single Player adventure is a story mode adventure
you play with a SINGLE PLAYER.

And if not comparing to a
shooter, why couldnt we just have a multiplayer adventure?
People did it on AR. Brawl might not be a shoote (thankfully)
but that doesn't mean features like a level editor and more
multiplayer characters cant be added.

I diddnt talk about
perspective, and if you think about it, it'd be MORE possible
with BRAWL, then with Halo.

Then again, Im rooting for Smash bros, I think that'll be the
better one after all.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
instaed of letting the player come out with item spawns let the computer have an equated formula that puts it in a fair out of distant spot that each player has a shot of making it too. it really wouldn't be as hard as it sounds if each character was given a mathematical value and area area already poredetermined alowing the computer to decide which one fits best.

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
What could Brawl learn from Halo 3?

How to put Master Chief in the game? Confirmed! Character topic now!

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I agree with saving matches for viewing pleasure, but I don't really care much for forging maps. If Brawl online were only like Xbox Live with the exception of only hearing your friends, (This is Nintendo after all) it would be great, but we'll have to stick with it.

Darkurai

Smash Master
i'd be happy with no friend codes and a ranking system. saving matches really isn't that important to me.
Gamecube didn't have friend codes and it didn't sell as well as it could've.
Wii and DS have friend codes and they're selling like crazy. (promptly shot)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
What would it matter if they did? You beat them, you move on that's how the random thing works. Sometimes you'll run into someone very good and sometimes someone awful but without ranking it really doesn't matter now does it?

I don't enjoy games with ranking because often times that what it's all about is the rank.
Can you say random ranked?

i dont see what the big deal about the "forge" is ,thats the worst excuse for a level editor i have ever seen(its pretty much the sonic debug,not a level editor(its an item mover)))i agree with the first though(second if they have a "real" editor
Most editor modes don't let you test them with your friends right away. Actually so far none has.

Bungie :1 Boost2 : 0

Top Bottom