• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are Your Issues with Sonic?

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Ness, just, **** Ness and his stupid aerials, dash attack, and PK fire.

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
Sonic just isn't good enough to win anything important :(

Sonic is losing kill power every patch whereas Shiek is GAINING kill power... through AT discoveries! There are some almost guaranteed kill set ups recently discovered for her (fortunately they don't work on Sonic but he's not even a threat to Shiek anymore).

Last edited:

Lord Nutritous

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone!

I'm just curious as to what Sonic issues you guys have when you play him. What moves, what characters you have trouble playing against, etc.

For me, I'm alright with his dair, but it is a little frustrating because of the angle Sonic comes down at. I wish he came down at a more straight direction, but it has done me good before in matches. Kind of a love-hate relationship, I guess. The character I have problems going against (for me) is :rosalina:. Any tips on how to counter her would be appreciated!

Anyways, hope to hear for you soon!
The only issue i have is that i feel like Sonic moves are see through or its easy to know what sonic is going to to before you go into the round + Spin Dash being the move that starts combos and dealing the most damage and don't forget Homing Attack having a mind of its own.

Last edited:

jaimex2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaimex2
Not really an issue but it does bother me that our jab comes out on frame 3 considering Sonic is meant to be the fastest character.

Just need to keep this in mind when dealing with faster characters and avoid boxing with them.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Not really an issue but it does bother me that our jab comes out on frame 3 considering Sonic is meant to be the fastest character.

Just need to keep this in mind when dealing with faster characters and avoid boxing with them.
LOL. And he is the fastest character. What do you want? All of his moves to come out on frame 1?

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I cannot honestly ever tell between what I should use Side B or Down B in any given situation. Unless I'm using customs then it is far more obvious.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Trying to chase an opponent's roll with an Up-Smash, I tend to miss and present them an opportunity to punish me.

Pulling off spinshots.

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
I hate how his meteor smash has him plummeting down, which if you're not quick to spring jump, you SD, and his window to Meteor people is very small, I only did it once and it was by accident. I always seem to have a hard time fighting :4dedede:, that dang hammer.

Last edited:

Julesimanerd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Julesimanerd
3DS FC
2191-9014-2011
Please use the "Edit" feature to avoid double posts!
Also, this was probably already said but it deserves to be said again. "You're too slow" is gone, and that is no good.

gb13rocks

Smash Rookie
This is gonna be a little hard for me to explain completely, so I'll explain in two ways:
Playing as Sonic: Sonic doesn't have a lot of variety, but he is easy to play. However, it also makes him very limited on what he can do. A lot of his moves are variations of his Spin Dash, and that can get predictable after a while, especially if you don't know how to change things up with Sonic.
Fighting Sonic: Constant spamming of Spin Dash and the glorious but also annoying U-Throw to U-Special to U-Air kill? Yeah, an annoying match up.
Spin dashes are very complex, I swear the'res so many things you can do with them, such as spindash jumps, spin slide, spin dash cancel, spin shot, horizontal spindash jump, vertical spindash jump, spinslide grab ect. all of these are attacks generated by the spin dash, even the ones that say "jump" in them damage the opponent because he is still spinning during the process, and don't even get me started with all the combos each one can start.

AT_Ion

Smash Rookie
NNID
IonRobinson
Characters I have trouble with ....
Bowser, Mario, Cloud, Ness, Mewtwo

Characters with Large Projectiles: Mewtwo, Cloud
Characters with Easy Kill Options: Ness, Bowser, Mewtwo

Mario just has like Super Soaker and Cape that doesn't reset up+b when it hits you so its very threatening when they throw that out when i am trying to come back ...

Bowser is just heavy as hell and I can pile on the damage but its hard to kill him ... can't back throw him and can't gimp him with spring because it just disappears on his Up+Back to the stage. and any thing he touches you with can kill... One of the best ways to kill him is his own bowsercide on certain stages. and jump up+B back to the stage. smh

Ness: he just can wait to catch you and back throw...

Mewtwo: throw his charged shadow ball and run after it, grab you and up+throw or up+smash

Cloud: forces me to jump from far away with his fireball. and just large sword problems.

Sonic Meaper

Smash Cadet
NNID
None
3DS FC
2294-7045-5918
Switch FC
8435-0200-1637
The issues i had with sonic is using advanced techniques consistently, sometimes spike, reads and punish very small window punish, landing options, and spin dashes/charges change up. I emant use spin dash and charge in different ways. Obiously against projectiles spammers that i often use spin dash to try to force through even it has 5 frame of invinciblity but still struggle so i was training on all of them to master sonic in 3ds tho. I wont have wii U anyways

Crabbin

Smash Rookie
Some personal problems I have with the character:

1. The fact that he still has two spin dashes from brawl, and his homing attack was nerfed heavily.

2. FG lag.

3. BSBS being at least 50% of my deaths.

As for character match ups... basically anyone who is just flat out better than me? Anything spammy, etc.

The usual.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My main problems are :4mario::4zss: :rosalina: and although I haven't practiced the MU, I'm sure :4cloud2: will pose a problem.

As a :4sonic: main, I have 2 bad tendencies.

1.- Always rushing my opponent down. I really need to practice patiene as Sonic.
2.- I run out of ideas, and get a little mentally blocked if the things I'm trying out don't work.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I'd somewhat say BSBS, but I've been much more of that, so I can tell before I potentially SD.

My main technique problem right now is making ISDJ second nature. It's about a 75% thing right now.

My main main problem with Sonic is that I essentially have tournament nerves with him any time I face my friends or someone on my level or above. I might wombo their first stock, but then the stress of not losing my first stock kicks in, because I know Smash is a game of possible, likely comebacks. If it's not that, it's struggling to properly reset neutral and then counterattack, against the same kinds of opponents. I end up losing sight of many of the multitude of available options as this guy because I easily get put out of the position to properly work the mindgames and control the pace of the fight when the fight isn't in my favor.

Gotta stay steadfast.

Silvia

Smash Ace
NNID
SilviaHedgecat
I always have trouble mixing it up and getting combos out of moves. I'm starting to read opponents and get the idea of how to approach in the beginning of the match.

Last edited:

Sayaka

Smash Rookie
My issues are SDing a lot for spindashing offstage (yea i know this is dumb), fighting Cloud/Rosa/Sheik and for some reason, only when I'm playing Sonic, I feel like everything I'm doing is wrong, like I'm always making mistakes.

(M)

Smash Cadet
Sonic lacking his signature taunt hurts the most

Last edited:

CHICO 93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperCheekNasty
I tend to have a hard time finishing ppl off thats mostly my biggest issue with sonic.... i can usally stack up good damage just have trouble killing

Top Bottom