• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are Your Issues with Sonic?

Rixilas

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jeiku121
Hey everyone!

I'm just curious as to what Sonic issues you guys have when you play him. What moves, what characters you have trouble playing against, etc.

For me, I'm alright with his dair, but it is a little frustrating because of the angle Sonic comes down at. I wish he came down at a more straight direction, but it has done me good before in matches. Kind of a love-hate relationship, I guess. The character I have problems going against (for me) is :rosalina:. Any tips on how to counter her would be appreciated!

Anyways, hope to hear for you soon!

Last edited:

Discoid

Smash Rookie
NNID
Discoid
I'm a super scrub to Smash in general but the best strat I've seen for Rosie is to focus on distancing her from Luma or killing it quickly - she's a sitting duck against Sonic without him.

Rucent

Only strive for first place.
I always have an annoying time agianst Zelda. Back then I had a hard time agianst Wario and Olimar. I also don't use up tilt much.
As for tommarow I should be done with the description for Sonic vs Rosalina so you can read that. You can also look at the discussion on the matchup.

AJDOH

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3866-8495-8989
Hmm. Id have to say that spindashes are my issues. I just hate when they're blocked or traded with, Don't know how to react out of that besides attempt to put on more pressure.
Sadly, I dont even get the chance to do that on characters with good bairs.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
In match ups, it has to be :4link: and :4falcon:. Link's projectiles and sword are great for keeping me away and C. Falcon just out prioritizes and out ranges me.

I don't have a problem with Sonic himself.

AJDOH

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3866-8495-8989
In match ups, it has to be :4link: and :4falcon:. Link's projectiles and sword are great for keeping me away and C. Falcon just out prioritizes and out ranges me.

I don't have a problem with Sonic himself.
you. I definitely just fought you.

spiNR

Smash Rookie
NNID
spiNR17
I always have trouble with characters that can zone me out. More of a personal problem, happens no matter who I use. Only thing I don't really like is dash attack, miss his Brawl version.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
-Playing under anything that isn't a perfect connection. I'm sorry but I just can't.
-Super defensive opponents give me trouble (e.g. my friend plays a mean Bowser and has since Melee I believe. In Brawl, I was able to take him on with Sonic, and when I play as Rosalina we're pretty evenly matched, but I can barely touch him as Sonic in Smash 4).
-Small characters since they are hard for me to land combos on.
-People who are excellent at zoning.

Basically I'm only good with Sonic if I'm facing opponents that aren't too defensive, are not too small, and aren't excellently trained in zoning.

I admittedly have been neglecting Sonic as of late, though. I should get back to training with him, as I really am not consistent with him anymore - either I do awful or do brilliant, there is no inbetween.

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
I dont like his air moibility and his lack of legit combos that are not baased of reads.

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I always have trouble with characters that can zone me out.
-Super defensive opponents give me trouble
I'm pretty sure this is a weakness of Sonic in general. He has a beastly punish game, but is prone to getting punished himself. Characters with really good out-of-shield options, a strong waller game, or even just janky hitboxes can wreck Sonic if they take the neutral.

Personally, I've always had problems with Shulk, because he falls squarely into "strong waller by virtue of janky hitboxes" territory.

Toxiphobe

Smash Cadet
Characters like Rosalina and Luma are ANNOYING TO FIGHT with Sonic and also I hate that I side b off the stage without releasing the spindash in time so I just fall.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Rosalina is a pain to fight no matter what character you are...i have never played a sonic game before but i was thinking of adding Sonic to my mains but i wanna know how to use him properly not just spin dash...upb....DAir......

ArcticShadows

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5129-3841-4528
I've had trouble using him against ZSS. Assuming we're talking level 9 CPU's. I've never fought Rosalina and Luma so I'll have to try. I'll edit the post once I do. I think Sonic got better in Smash 4. He was awful in Brawl. But then again, before Smash 4 came out, I thought Sonic was good. But the Smash 4 mechanics are better. I think that's the word for it.

Edit:
Fought R&L on level 9 3 stock. Only lost one life. Wasn't that hard.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Fought R&L on level 9 3 stock. Only lost one life. Wasn't that hard.
For your own sake and ours, please never refer to lv.9 CPUs as a point of reference for anything ever again.

:093:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
I actually have some trouble with some :4falcon:and most :rosalina:are a pain in my ass. But other than that, I don't have any trouble at all with any characters. I have a friend that has an insanely deffensive bowser that just rekts me everytime. Oh and also Camalange I loved your instant jump video of Sonic. Pretty hard to do in Smash 3DS though :p

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Because level 9 CPU aren't competitive players. They are just computers that are ment to copy them and have a limited database. They don't mix up at all and they can be beaten by experienced players. Also Camalenge, could you take my Sonic tomorrow? I'm actually from Mexico. So I could play like 11 Am but I don't know if you have a different our time :p

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I don't understand. Why is referencing to a level 9 cpu bad?
Because level 9 CPU aren't competitive players. They are just computers that are ment to copy them and have a limited database. They don't mix up at all and they can be beaten by experienced players.
Essentially this. CPUs read inputs so they react and operate in ways a human player never would, but they also don't do common sense things properly that a human would, so all-in-all it is nowhere near a proper reflection of how a character is played and also creates bad habits.
Also Camalenge, could you take my Sonic tomorrow? I'm actually from Mexico. So I could play like 11 Am but I don't know if you have a different our time :p
For future reference, please take requests like these to our player finder, social thread, or to private messages as to not stray off-topic.

However, I will just say that tomorrow is not good for me, unfortunately. Perhaps another time.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Alright then :)

And Aritc Shadow. If you want help, you should train more with persons in For Glory and tell us your experiences.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Then eventually stop playing For Glory too, lol.

Still better than any CPU experience though. It at least somewhat helps with player habits and match-ups.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Yeah lol. You could also start playing with other people of this forum. That's why I came here in the first place. To get more Sonic advice.

Kaneki164

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thawk164
3DS FC
5127-2247-5437
My main issue with sonic is his lack of kill options when I'm fighting a super defensive opponent, or a character with projectiles that stop my spindash approach and forced me to read hardcore.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
He can kill with a run, put yourself behind your opponent. And then do Forward Smash. If you thiink they are going to roll, do Down Smash. And if they are in the air. Just use Up Smash.

Up Air is also good with killing at low ceilings.

ArcticShadows

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5129-3841-4528
Essentially this. CPUs read inputs so they react and operate in ways a human player never would, but they also don't do common sense things properly that a human would, so all-in-all it is nowhere near a proper reflection of how a character is played and also creates bad habits.

For future reference, please take requests like these to our player finder, social thread, or to private messages as to not stray off-topic.

However, I will just say that tomorrow is not good for me, unfortunately. Perhaps another time.

I guess that makes sense. I got a buddy I met on a facebook SSB group who is a good Sonic main. He kept winning so we did match ups. The last game, he was Robin I was Sonic. It was so intense because both of us were a smash attack away from winning. He did Robin's forward Smash I rolled to the side and quickly did my forward smash and won. It felt great.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Playing as Sonic? I hate going against :4megaman:, :4link:, :4yoshi:, :4villager: and:4sheik: as Sonic. When you have players that know what they're doing their projectiles just stop my flow, when I play as Sonic I rely on keeping a certain momentum to keep myself going but the second I rush in toward them they can just shut me down with good setups, Link and MegaMan alone are like...Anti-Sonic characters. Its just a drag dealing with it for me. Also I hate not getting my meteor's off when I Dair but ever since the 1.08 patch I been getting meteors like crazy which I love.

Playing against Sonic? Mirror battles. I hate Sonic mirror battles, I just hate mirror's in general but Sonic I don't like the most. It's just annoying if I have to be honest. Especially if someone counters your Sonic with Sonic the next round out of spite then they spam his specials and play annoyingly defensive. I also kinda don't like that Sonic's a bit too strong to be a character based on speed. He just feels a little too powerful sometimes. Most of his Smashes need to see a small power nerf but that's just me. Added his combo's and punish game is insane so he shouldn't be able to kill as early as he does from what I've been seeing.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Playing against Sonic? Mirror battles. I hate Sonic mirror battles, I just hate mirror's in general but Sonic I don't like the most. It's just annoying if I have to be honest. Especially if someone counters your Sonic with Sonic the next round out of spite then they spam his specials and play annoyingly defensive. I also kinda don't like that Sonic's a bit too strong to be a character based on speed. He just feels a little too powerful sometimes. Most of his Smashes need to see a small power nerf but that's just me. Added his combo's and punish game is insane so he shouldn't be able to kill as early as he does from what I've been seeing.
No, stop.

We've gotten power nerfs almost every patch. Other characters have better KO powers and set-ups. I'm done playing Brawl.

Also, I love when people rage counterpick Sonic because I body them. They can't play my character for ****.

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
No, stop.

We've gotten power nerfs almost every patch. Other characters have better KO powers and set-ups. I'm done playing Brawl.

Also, I love when people rage counterpick Sonic because I body them. They can't play my character for ****.

I've always liked Sonic Brawl, I beat Meta Knight players with him but since they weren't seen at tournaments I guess it doesn't count as anything lol. But I was happy to see Sonic's tremendous leap in Smash4, in a way I don't want him to change but then again I wouldn't mind seeing a minor change. Still kind hurts when you see his backthrow not doing the job anymore. I can't believe when I grab someone on the edge of a stage and backthrow I assume it's over but then I remember out of nowhere "Oh yeah...that patch" or "Kinda wish they didn't fix that" XD

After everyone bashed Sonic in Brawl it's sweet seeing him so good now. Also...yes. That sweet feel when people think they can counterpick and don't know anything about him. It's hilarious when they waste their second jump and then spin dash while they aren't close enough to the stage. And the community says Sonic is nothing but "Spam to win".

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
I agree with you. Sonic is such a fun character to use. And I do enjoy Sonic dittos. Pretty interesting to see other Sonic Meta.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
This is gonna be a little hard for me to explain completely, so I'll explain in two ways:
Playing as Sonic: Sonic doesn't have a lot of variety, but he is easy to play. However, it also makes him very limited on what he can do. A lot of his moves are variations of his Spin Dash, and that can get predictable after a while, especially if you don't know how to change things up with Sonic.
Fighting Sonic: Constant spamming of Spin Dash and the glorious but also annoying U-Throw to U-Special to U-Air kill? Yeah, an annoying match up.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonic doesn't have a lot of variety
A lot of his moves are variations of his Spin Dash
However, it also makes him very limited on what he can do. , and that can get predictable after a while
>doesn't have a lot of variety
>multiple variations
>limited // has a lot of variations // little variety // ?

You lost me.

Spin Dash is one of the most technical moves in the game. It's your choice to utilize it to its maximum potential or not.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
I think he ment on Sonic not having too many options outside of Spin Dash, It's hard to approach with Sonic since his grab game sucks balls (Throws. Not Dash Grabs or Pivot Grabs. Those are great). Sonic doesn't have a really aggresive playstile. Forward Air it's good for the top tiers or another Sonic. But you won't be hitting small characters with Short Hop Forward Air. And Neutral Air doesn't auto cancel, or it's really hard to do it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Having variety =/= effectiveness

Sonic has a lot of options, primarily out of spins. Are they good approaches? No. That's a different point entirely.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Oooohh yeah. That is a common issue. Everyone hates Sonic because he uses Spin Dash, and they are other spamming characters even worse than him (Villager, Sheik with Bouncing Fish and Needles, etc).

BakaJager

Smash Journeyman
In all honesty its sonic ending lag with all his air attacks. Sure it isn't much but i can rarely land a jab combo or a ftilt with my opponent shielding or grabing me ect from my fair. Even if they haven't shielded the attack they can easily punish me for it.

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
Most of my issues with Sonic have been listed already, so I'm going to list my favourite thing about Sonic.

It's when people go for the salty ditto on for glory and then I wreck them. :^)
It's even better if I read the switch and I beat them with Lucina (Zelda works too).

SpiritofSpeed

Smash Cadet
As an avid Sonic player, my only real issue is that I wish flying as Super Sonic in the Final Smash was a bit easier to control.

I guess my favorite thing is using the Spin Dash to bowl out opponents for as long as I can.

Top Bottom