• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your ambitions as a Melee player?

How far do you plan on taking Melee?

• Total voters

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
Me personally I have a full time career so i don't have time to travel to nationals or dedicate the time I'd like to. So for now it's locals and the very rare regionals and that is satisfying enough for me. I am thinking of transitioning my buying/selling from a side hobby to "full time" to allow the most flexible hours for practicing and not be tied down so I can travel to more tournaments.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Trying to get top 8 at a local is probably my current goal, though sadly i can't attend many tournaments.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
My goal is just to become the best Falcon I can be. Got a long way to go, but I have the most fun playing Falcon and don't ever intend to switch.

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
to have fun mostly. really i like playing people better than i am and learning how to adapt to what they're doing. i think adaptation is generally one of my weak points, especially in fighting games, but it's sort of a trial through fire. i'm a very inexperienced player, and i think i'd argue that despite knowing about the scene for about a year i'd say that i've really only been playing hands-on for about six months. so learning from people who are top ~150ish is always pretty nice even if i can usually only take two or three stocks off of them, especially since learning how to space and orient yourself differently are both really important. melee's like a puzzle or a riddle with so many variables you know you can never figure it out entirely and i think that's always held a huge allure to me.

right now i'm too busy to take it seriously since i'm trying to polish my french for college in the fall and i'm teaching myself spanish so i'm kind of taking a break and trying to break down videos very late into the night and analyze them (like right now! i'm watching hax v pewpewu and taking notes on it at 6:15am hahaha). it feels like i'm learning a lot about the neutral game which is good since i feel that understanding of it was very lacking from my play, especially towards the close of the school year. ideally i would like to make deep runs into nationals but i think that's sort of rough because i'm in college during all the big ones and by the time i'm done in two years i know that either the melee scene will probably only have two or three good years left for it or i'll have no interest in it. not to mention i probably won't even be close to good enough to even make it out of pools at the big nationals. realistically speaking i don't think i want to play video games competitively into my mid-twenties, at least not seriously, but no offense to those who do; it's just not something i have planned for myself.

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
To be the best. Ever. It will take a while. Even if I don't get to be the next greatest, I will still end up somewhere good through trying.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
To be the best. Ever. It will take a while. Even if I don't get to be the next greatest, I will still end up somewhere good through trying.
You can listen to this while blazing through the ranks.

Gilbz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrGilbz
I want to be good enough for myself. Not sure how good that is yet, but I just know that I want to be better.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I got into the game because of combo videos. Got to style (efficiently) on my opponents.

Brett30000

Smash Rookie
i cant go to many tournaments due to transportation issues. but i can get to xanadu like once or twice a month so i think my goal right now is to at least get to quarter finals then eventually winning the tournament.

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
I want 2 win evo and become a goat or a cow (champion of the world)

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
I kinda just want to get top 8 at our local weekly brackets. I'm kind of a terrible player so I've still got a ways to go.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
I just want to see how far I can climb. As long as I know I'm not at the very bottom, I'm fine.

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
Personally, I think my dream is a bit to ambitious, but you can never aim too high. I really want to win a super-major. I don't care how many years it takes for me to get that far, I'll do it.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
My goal is to get as far as possible with my young link. If i never win anything bigger then a Local with him I'm ok with that, now that being said I won't stop til there's no hurdles left for me to jump. I know I'm at a disadvantage, I know I'm probably never going to win a major. But there's still a chance no matter how small, and that's all I really need to stay motivated.

Last edited:

B_Cypher

Smash Rookie
I just want to reach the top 100, even if thats for like 10 minutes :pPPPP

deadPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
I want to be a world champion, but in order to keep myself sane I set smaller goals for myself. Goal right now is to get top 10 in a local. Next goal is to win a local. Goal after that is to win a regional, and then a national.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I want to be the greatest Bowser player of all time. That is my greatest aspiration as of now.
Winning tournaments is of course something I want to do, but my primary focus is developing Bowser's nonexistent metagame. Bowser is easily my favorite character in all of Smash Bros, and I want to figure out everything there is to know about the Koopa King.

I also want to style on fools with a ****-tier character lmao

Gilbz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrGilbz
I want to be the greatest Bowser player of all time. That is my greatest aspiration as of now.
Winning tournaments is of course something I want to do, but my primary focus is developing Bowser's nonexistent metagame. Bowser is easily my favorite character in all of Smash Bros, and I want to figure out everything there is to know about the Koopa King.

That sounds awesome. Good luck!

vien

Smash Rookie
I pretty much want to be the best Sheik player ever. Eventually, the best player ever. Right now my goal is to win a local, and get ranked in MDVA in maybe like 6-9 months.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971

Well as a fellow mid tier main I wish you the best of luck. I think I know more then anyone how much it sucks having a dead boards and meta for your character.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Well as a fellow mid tier main I wish you the best of luck. I think I know more then anyone how much it sucks having a dead boards and meta for your character.
Yung Leank boards aren't nearly as dead as a few of the other boards. I think even the Jigglypuff boards are less active, if not the same level of activity. Bowser boards are surprisingly not as dead as they used to be, which is awesome.

Sempai

Smash Ace
As a player, continue to incorporate aspects of both karate and smash into each other.
Teach people in both disciplines.
As a member of my community help grow my personal scene as well as Smash in General
I am Sempai.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Yung Leank boards aren't nearly as dead as a few of the other boards. I think even the Jigglypuff boards are less active, if not the same level of activity. Bowser boards are surprisingly not as dead as they used to be, which is awesome.
Well I guess the first thing to start with is before Young Link I used Roy. So I've seen a handful of the Low tier boards. My main point was that the low tier meta is really undeveloped. XD like at this point we should make a group for dedicated low tier players and discuss Space animal strategy's or something.

Gilbz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrGilbz
As a player, continue to incorporate aspects of both karate and smash into each other.
Teach people in both disciplines.
As a member of my community help grow my personal scene as well as Smash in General
I am Sempai.
I just realized your logo was a black belt. It all makes sense now haha.

Gilbz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrGilbz
I feel like it is important to make large goals and small goals at the same time. I want to win regionals or maybe even a national eventually, but I need to start with winning locals. There's a process/ladder you have to climb in order to be the best. :falconmelee:

Lime Cultivist

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-3457-2010
All I want to do is win some locals to get experience. Listen to my favorite music and just play. But I can't go to any locals because they don't happen much nearby, and when they do happen I'm either busy or too nervous to go be around all the people.

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice
My goal is to eventually be good enough to win a national. It'll be a long road till I get even near reaching that but hopefully one day I will. Right now though my smaller goal is to win a local.

Top Bottom