• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the most HATED characters?

Which character do you respect the LEAST as a Main?

• Sonic

Votes: 52 32.5%
  • Bayo

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • Cloud

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • Villager

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Duck Hunt

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Little Mac

Votes: 13 8.1%
  • Link

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Toon Link

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • ZSS

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Diddy

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Rosalina

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • Ryu

• Metaknight

• Mega Man

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • DK

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Sheik

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • OTHER

Votes: 33 20.6%

• Total voters

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
I don't hate on Olimar or Little Macs because I enjoy beating them to a pulp on For Glory (probably a case of unskilled players meeting up with me).

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Side B to approach, if it connects, string it into an up air, repeat until I'm at a high enough percent to get launched off-stage from it, then proceed to try to gimp me with the spring from his up B every time I'm launched. Gets annoying and is really boring to play like this.
Ok, I'm convinced that people who play like this in friendlies hate fun.

UpsettedFizz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Defender5X
Ok, I'm convinced that people who play like this in friendlies hate fun.
Almost every Sonic I've faced must hate fun then.

If I'm playing with a couple buddies, I might play as Sonic once in a while just to mess with them and have a few laughs. He is by no means a main of mine and in my eyes, doing that combo is just to poke fun at my friends, not to win the match.

Nectar1ne

Smash Rookie
I hate :4gaw: because at my local gaming group, there's one person who mains :4gaw:, and every time I go up against him he always gets a nine when I move in for a side-special. I'm half-convinced he sacrificed a Wii U to the gods of RNG or something.

Last edited:

Red-Villain

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedVillainy
As a :4dedede: player I get the laughs of disdain and eye rolls, so I don't really rush to judgement since character success, I feel depends more on player skill and matchup rather than perceived versatility (owing to sm4sh's enormous roster).

On the other hand, the only characters that frustrate me to see played at all are :4wiremac: and :4shulk:. The former for obvious reasons. The latter because I just don't see one ever do well.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Link, oh boy, link.
WAY too strong, his moves shouldn't kill even close to when they do now.
THE SPAM!
His lingering hitboxes, ugh.
His dumb hitboxes not even FOLLOWING THE SWORD. looking at you down air.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Considering that I main Dr. Mario. (Who in my opinion has one of worse reputations of any character in the Sm4sh community)
I don't tend to show much strong distaste towards other characters.

YoYo-She

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2981-7171-0997
I hate this thing -------> :129:

...I'm kidding.

:4bayonetta: and:4cloud:are annoying unless the player is actually GOOD with them.

:4sonic: gets annoying.

Then there are players that don't even play competitive but go on there anyway and use a bad character like Ganondorf. Luckily, they aren't that many.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
:rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina:

The only char that I feel is TRULY bullsh*t in this game. It's a literal 2 vs 1. One char hits you and can DEAL dmg, but if you hit them back, they take no dmg? And the one who actually takes dmg can stand 20 miles away doing this? What the f? How is this a thing?

I honestly, truly can not stand the entire concept of Rosalina. And that match with her and Lord Mix as Bowser is some Earth shattering SMH sh*t.

DMan64

Smash Cadet
I don't particularly hate a character, but I'll be honest and say that out of all the characters in the game, Bayo infuriates me the most. Sure Cloud has some very ridiculous moves, but Bayo has the best recovery, the best punish game, and is able to come back from a huge deficit. Not to mention the fact that one mistake can result in death, even at zero percent can be very, very anger inducing at times.

Other characters that annoy me or I don't have fun going against include Ness, Lucas, Olimar, Duck Hunt, and Toon Link. The only reason those ones annoy me is because they are generally super spamy and most of them play in one style. Though when you face off against a good main against one of these characters, it can be quite fun.

Xandra

Smash Cadet
NNID
xandrasmash
I don't hate almost any character so long as the player that plays them is good. I actually really like playing against genuinely good :4bayonetta: or genuinely good fellow :4cloud:mains, because it helps me have confidence that I'm not the only player who's playing that character because I genuinely like them and not because I'm obsessed with top tiers. (I feel so bad when I'm slapped with that stereotype... hence why I cringed so much while reading this entire thread. Feelsbadman.)

reason i said almost any character is because Ness

FREAKING

NESS.

no. no.

Screw Ness.

Last edited:

Joel_Tarkus

Smash Cadet
NNID
explodingmuffin7
I respect everyone no matter how lame. If your going to complain at least learn the match-up. Also I do not for a second doubt that you have learned the match-up and still struggle with certain characters. Know quite a bit about Link but I still struggle against him (for some odd reason.) Sorry if that sounds dumb or like I am trying to insult or take a shot at anyone in this thread. I just do not understand hating a character. Yes I am even okay with Rosalina and Luma

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
I loathe fighting :4yoshi: because when others use him he seems invincible and when I use him is complete garbage. All his attacks have almost no lag or hitboxes as big as a building and are incredibly strong.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I probably respect Bayonetta mains the least. Some might actually like her as a character, but it just seems like she is a "use this character to raise your skill level and look like a better player than you are" character.

v3ga

Smash Cadet
I'm more concerned as to why the percentage numbers for these characters add up to a number that greatly exceeds 100%...

Dripple

Smash Cadet
NNID
qugasl09
3DS FC
1693-5939-6738
It really makes me tilted and sad that:4sonic:(who's literally my favorite video game character alongside:4mario:) gets a lot of hate not just from the Smash community, but also in gaming communities. Seriously, this character can't catch a break. Anyways, in Smash, I can understand why Sonic is a character that almost everyone dislikes due to how annoying he is to fight. In the gaming community, I can understand that people may not like Sonic games due to them being kinda bad (not all of them imo). However, what really bothers me is to hate someone who uses a character that you dislike a lot. As such, I feel bad for Sonic players, because every time they play this character, they will get a ton of hate, even cool players like SGK, 6WX and Meteor.

As for me, I don't really hate any character in the game besides one that is to me the definition of cancer. There are some characters I dislike, but nowhere near as this one character. No, it's not Sonic like I just mentioned above, not:4cloud:(I actually like this character despite him being common), not:rosalina:(she's like one of my favorite Mario characters ever and I really do like how players like Dabuz uses her. Have a ton of respect for this man), not:4bayonetta:(while she may be annoying, she's not that bad of a character once you know how to exploit her weaknesses) and not any characters mentioned in the poll. I actually really despise:4olimar:. No offense to Olimar mains, but I feel he's a lot more annoying than Sonic and any other character in the game. His Pikmin noises are irritating to hear, he has the most boring playstyle I've ever seen in a fighting game and he's the most boring character to watch. I would rather watch a Sonic, a Rosa, a Cloud or even Bayo over any Olimar. He's just that uninteresting and I hate everything about him. However, I still do respect Olimar mains and if they like him, I have no problem with that. He's the only character that I dare not to touch when I play Smash for fun. I don't have a problem playing characters that I dislike even on Random, but if I have Olimar, I automatically forfeit the game or just press L+R+A+Start to quit. That's just my take on the subject. I'm not going to dislike you just because you play Olimar. xD
Wow..just...wow! It takes a lot of guts to insult Olimar in front of an Alph main. With that said.....1 V 1 MY KNUCKLES I DARE YOU!!!

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Wow..just...wow! It takes a lot of guts to insult Olimar in front of an Alph main. With that said.....1 V 1 MY KNUCKLES I DARE YOU!!!
Again sorry. I really don't want to insult people who play Olimar or Alph, but I just really don't like him. I really don't want to hate any character, but Olimar and Alph are like the only characters that I could never find a source of enjoyment. There's nothing I like about them, but that's just me. If you like them, I respect that. :)

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
I despise Greninja. It's not because he's extremely good or bad, I just hardly ever see Greninja played, so when I run into a Greninja, I literally have no idea how to deal with it, so I get utterly rap3d by that tongue.

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
:4littlemac:As a Mac main, you only hate him for one of two reasons (or maybe both but I don't see that too often from others):

1. You hate playing with him because 20% GIMP!!!
2. You hate playing against him because D-tilt -> D-tilt -> KO Punch.

:4sonic:Stupidly boring to play against because you can't hit him and he can't hit you (because his moveset is very predictable by now).

:4shulk:Takes too long to KO because of spamming a pathetic excuse for a stock hold (a.k.a shield monando).

:4bayonetta:Witch Time = Poor pathetic excuse of taking a stock because she got hit by a jab..... A JAB!!!!!

I mean seriously. At least counters like :4shulk:'s, :4marth:'s, and :4lucina:'s require much stronger moves like F-smashes in order to get the kill.

:4megaman:"HAHAHA you can't get me!!! You can't me!!! My lemons will always keep you out!!!"

:4samus: Let's look at this in the perspective of a Samus player:

"Come on! Get the dash attack! Get it! Come on! I'm not gonna stop dash attacking until I get it! GET THE FRICKEN DASH ATTACK!!! STOP SHIELDING!!! (8 failed dash attacks later) FINALLY!!!! I GOT IT!! Now I just gotta Uair, Uair,... FRICK! I missed the Up-B. Okay lets try again... Dash attack, dash attack, dash attack...."

:4falcon:NOW... Let's take this into the perspective of Falcon's opponent.

"Phew! air-dodged it! Now all I gotta do is land safely on the *KNEE!!!!!*........"

I mean come on... What am I supposed to do? Not air-dodge? How is that even practical? What if he decides to immediately go for the knee? It becomes too much like a game of rock-paper-scissors at that point.

:4bowser:Jankiest grab in the entire game and that combined with it leading into a kill confirm is complete bull crap.

:4pacman:"Let me get you out of that shield" *deploys trampoline*

:4ryu:Gets opponent to 75%

Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, *2 1/2 minutes later*, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Utilt finally connects, "SHORYUKEN!!!!!!!"........

Ryu player proceeds to saying GG and reaches for a hand shake..........

AND FINALLY!.....

:rosalina:
Okay.... This one is long...

1. Luma can protect Rosa while she is in dizziness which is crap.
2. Luma can brush off the opponent if the opponent is trying to punish a recovery on stage (it happened to Fatality while fighting Dabuz at Civil War) which is crap.
3. Up-Air is a move that combos into itself that people spam the hell out of which is crap.
4. Luma can U-tilt you while you're pummling Rosa which is crap.
5. Combos are near impossible to connect cause Rosa is so fricken floaty which is crap.
6. People for some odd reason keep getting hit with dash attack even though you know in your heart that your shield was fully charged which is crap.
7. And finally.... DISJOINTS!!!!!!!!......... which is crap.

EDIT

I almost forgot...
:4ness: and :4lucas:

PK fire.

:4lucas: is worse. His high pitched voice combined with the amount of times the average :4lucas: player throws out PK fires is beyond scrub.

Last edited:

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
^How about Marin over Peach? She's so cool, she hums Ballad of the Wind Fish as her side taunt.

LeWaddleDee

Smash Rookie
NNID
KoolKangaskhan
People covered :4sonic:perfectly for me already, but I also hate playing against any of the DLC past the first 3 that were released simply because I don't own them. This means I have no way to get used to any of them except to run into one on For Glory or at some competition (where I proceed to get bodied by said dlc).

I still don't understand Corrin or Bayo at all.

Last edited:

SaltySpud

Smash Rookie
I spudding hate ROB with his big spudding hitbox and stupid lasers that are near impossible for me to dodge.
Mega Man with 200000 projectiles for me to dodge.
Dark Pit for the stupidest reason. My casual friend spams side b with him and it was getting old. Before you say anything, it's really hard to dodge when there is 5 players on the screen at once, and not a 1v1.
CPU Marth and his frame perfect counters

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
You know, if I actually cared about playing online at all, and I really wanted to avoid certain characters, I could just change their parameters and then every time that character was picked by the opponent, the match would just disconnect when they were hit. But I don't even care enough to do that, I just play with friends now pretty much.

OldHickory

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3007-9257-4809
There's exactly three characters that I really dislike fighting, and it's entirely a matchup thing.
1. R.O.B
2. Rosalina
3. Cloud

That's in no particular order.
My first pic most of the time is Duck Hunt, and those three are horrible match ups for the trio.
-R.O.B's laser eats through all my zoning, including bouncing Trick Shot back at me.
-Rosalina is naturally horrible for projectile-based characters.
-Cloud's kit can nullify anything Duck Hunt can throw his way, ruining tricky setups with one button press. And of course, zoning Cloud is always a bad idea because then he can just sit and charge limit. DH lacks a particularly safe getup option against him, as well. With no safe reversal, it's like playing USFIV all over again, with nonsense vortex.

That said, once I get back to college and the weekly tourney held there, I am utterly determined to beat the R.O.B player with Duck Hunt.

D

Deleted member

Well, it is apparent :4bayonetta2:'s not getting much love here. But yeah...I'm sorry, kids, but she's still my girl and I'm not ashamed to have her on as my secondary.

Anyways...I still despise fighting :4link: despite the fact I now know how to deal with him a whole lot better.

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
rosalina just because anything that's a sin against good game design angers me to no end

Hydgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydgen29
I find :4corrinf: really annoying.

Reasons :?:

She has tons of cheap moves.
• Forward Smash
• Side Special
• Down Special
• Neutral Special
• Up Tilt
• Up Air

Her Neutral special can stun, has a second hit, (which can kill,) is ranged and can be spammed.

Cya :starman:

HerbsnSpices910

Smash Cadet
Where to begin...

I can't immediately judge a player based on their character because if their play is smart and innovative, I just can't be mad no matter how broken I consider the character to be in my head. A good player is a good player and deserves the respect that comes with it.

That said, I certainly dislike watching and playing against certain STYLES of character. It's kind of dumb really since the game is what it is but I still hate it. I feel like there are tiers to my dislike of certain characters in relation to this. From least irritating to most irritating:

'Not This **** Again' Tier

:4falcon:: It pains me to include Falcon in this list at all, since he's a member of the original 12 and his identity as a character in Smash is probably equal to that of his identity in his own series. Nevertheless, the run + grab spam combined with incompetent players trying to style on you is tiresome, and soul-destroying when they get lucky and it works.

:4wario2:: Bike/Munch spam.

:4corrin:: Stand-back-and-shoot-water-balls/Dragon Lunge spam. I get that Dragon Fang Shot is key to Corrin's neutral but I just hate it so much. I honestly don't enjoy having to being on constant projectile-watch anyway without fast water balls that paralyse being launched into my face. What even is that?

'That shouldn't work. Why does that work?' Tier

:4link:: Again, it pains me to include him because within his own series he's iconic and he's another of the original homies. BUT.......I do not want to spend 5/6 minutes dodging bombs, boomerangs and arrows for my 10% damage per minute.

:4ganondorf:: Not a big fan of the whole four-hits-and-you're-done style of play. Also gives a general vibe of "I'm so good that I can beat you with arguably the worst character in the game lel" *Proceeds to get two-stocked and switches back to main*

'How Many Nurofen Would It Take to Finish Me Off?' Tier

:4cloud:: His frame data is so good, he finishes you almost as fast as he finishes in bed.

:4bayonetta:: Hellish special moves combined with salty losers tier-whoring their pocket-Bayos at every turn = Inevitable, everlasting resentment.

Last edited:

SN Kurse

Smash Rookie
NNID
benxbaker
I feel as though anyone who willingly chooses to play Dedede is trying to be flashy and has no soul/doesn't want to ever do well at a major since the characters buns.

Starkuss

Smash Rookie
I can't stand playing against :4myfriends:, but only because I don't understand them. What are they trying to accomplish with FF back-jump spam? I'll never know.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
I just don't like :4myfriends:

He's a heavyweight big hitter with lots of disjointed hitboxes, he has a counter, attacks with gigantic radii and just...blehhhh for me he's even worse than fighting :4cloud:

MooglecakeSOLDIER

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vunny_Bunny
3DS FC
0404-6085-9567
I wouldn't say hate, but I guess I dislike :4zelda: and :4duckhunt: mainly because of the wall of "sneaky" projectiles they put up to infuriate opponents. But I guess other than them, just :4sonic: and the neutral b spamming for getting from point a to point b.
:4bayonetta: Bat within is pretty frustrating to deal with, considering how broken it is
Oh, and :4charizard: Flare Blitz spam. Like, stop that, it's annoying

As for :4cloud2:, it really hurts to see other Cloud's on For Glory acting like fools by missing their Limit Break Cross Slash/Finishing touch because they were too predictable (Because they really are). I don't rely on Limit too much, at least, I don't use Limit Charge as an excuse to run away or some form of security. I hold onto it to compensate for his recovery. I wish he wasn't popular.

Cloud's rep is already too destroyed to bother justifying, but oh well.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Bayonetta - Being able to combo your opponent when they're at high percent shouldn't be possible in this game, consider most of the cast can't even do that. Despite knowing how to SDI her combos, you're still screwed. And Witch Time should be a high risk high reward thing, not just something you can throw out and abuse. It may reduce the amount of time the opponent is slowed down, but it forces you to play more cautiously than you should against someone with a great combo game and great recovery option.

Cloud - Limit should be limited. Or Cloud shouldn't be able to move as quickly as he does until his Limit bar is completely filled, thus forcing the user to either give up the Limit altogether, or keep it around to have the speed and strength he has. Since when can someone with scrawny arms swing a sword the size of himself around like it's nothing?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
:4bayonetta: My most hated character in Smash history. Makes me love :snake: in comparisons. But Bayo is a special case because... I LOVE bumping into her in FG! Not sure if I'm a glutton for punishment, or what. But I need my practice against her. It's turned into this weird love/hate relationship. I want her guts banned from tourneys, because I don't play Smash to get my @** MvC3'd all over the screen, but it's fun as heck when I manage to beat her in FG. And when I lose, I can fall back knowing it's because she's broken. It's like encountering that freakishly hard post-game boss.

:4corrin: Unlike Bayo, this one is a hate/hate. His range is stupid, and his lack of afterlag makes me think he leaves NO openings to punish. And he's the type of characters with ridiculously huge hitboxes that just ruin Fighting games for me. Need I talk about that ridiculous counter?
Also unlike Bayo, I don't ever feel like practicing against Corrin...
His nair lasts for an hour and a half, and his dair is all sorts of unpinishable jank.
(yet I suddenly find him to he underrated.. have I missed something? Does he have a glaring exploitable weakness responsible for the sudden drop of Corrin mains?)

:4wario2: Chomp at edge... Nuff said.

Top Bottom